• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beans

Smash Lord
About Spirits.

I'm still not sure if they deconfirm or not, and im slightly siding with deconfirm. However, that's not to say the missing Spirits aren't suspicious. There seems to be a main 3 when it comes to missing spirits. Poochy, Sylux, and Porky.

Poochy and Sylux may just be promotional spirits like the Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee Spirits, but Porky baffles me. Porky is not present in the game at all. No spirit, no boss, no online icon, nada. The fact that Ness' Father and the Absolutely Safe Capsule are Spirits but Porky isn't really makes me think something is up. If he was being saved for a DLC boss, that doesn't explain why they couldn't still add an online icon or a Spirit of him in base game. I feel like he may just really be a character. I don't know why Nintendo would choose him, but I got a hunch that we may just see him.
I personally think spirits dont mean anything.
Its not like every little detail of Smash is a sign of a master plan going on.
My bets are that the spirits were chosen mostly by the staff and they themselves worked the conditions of the fight.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I personally think spirits dont mean anything.
Its not like every little detail of Smash is a sign of a master plan going on.
My bets are that the spirits were chosen mostly by the staff and they themselves worked the conditions of the fight.
I respectfully disagree. I think even if Spirits don't deconfirm, the absense of Porky especially is really fishy in my eyes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
OK. I've said a couple times that Bayonetta is the exception and people are still using her against me. So....

Secondly, I don't really know. Especially in this game, Zelda, Peach, Daisy and Isabelle all seam very similar. Peppy, cheery, sassy ladies. Then Samus, Sheik, and Lucina both come across as silent stoic warriors. The avatar characters are kind of different (Inkling especially), but they also all have a Male counterpart so it feels like it shouldn't count/ Bayonetta's really different, but she's the only one. Palutena certainly has that kind of nerdy goddess personality, but if you don't know about the Guidances then you don't get any of it. So she just falls in with Samus and co.

So... that. That's where I'm coming from. This is what I got from them JUST from playing Smash. (BTW, previous Zelda's would have been in with Samus and co.)

And along those lines, Fatal Frame's Ouse Kurosawa should join the roster.
Won't touch the rest but no idea how you can put Palutena among Lucina or Sheik when most of her taunts and victory animations involves dancing and giggling.

beans

Smash Lord
I respectfully disagree. I think even if Spirits don't deconfirm, the absense of Porky especially is really fishy in my eyes.
I see it as even more proof that it was made by staff.
Only a big Mother fan would make that joke of the ASC
Porky is untouchable inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule, do Galeem just made a Spirit of the ASC with Porky inside it
edit: how did I get a spoiler inside a spoiler?
There are details like those that only people who have played the game would recognize, like Paz giving you a bomb.

It just looks like they let the staff go ham with spirits.
I mean someone really found the "dad you never see in Earthbound" interesting and made a fight out of it.
I dont think Sakurai alone would handcraft every single spirit battle while thinking about the DLC. It would just be unnecessary limitation.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I see it as even more proof that it was made by staff.
Only a big Mother fan would make that joke of the ASC
Porky is untouchable inside the Absolutely Safe Capsule, do Galeem just made a Spirit of the ASC with Porky inside it
There are details like those that only people who have played the game would recognize, like Paz giving you a bomb.

It just looks like they let the staff go ham with spirits.
I mean someone really found the "dad you never see in Earthbound" interesting and made a fight out of it.
I dont think Sakurai alone would handcraft every single spirit battle while thinking about the DLC.
But even if they left out a completely possible unique Porky spirit fight for a joke about the ASC, it doesn't explain the absense of even an online icon for him.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
I think one of the weirdest Spirit omissions is Adeleine. Considering she and Ribbon just got revived for Kirby Star Allies, it's kinda weird that she's absent in this game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>think im about to finish 9.9 classic finally
>even use a ticket
>im on 9.7
>beat master and crazy hand with dr. mario
>it only goes up by .1

1514255231321.png

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think weirdest things about missing Spirits is that people are looking for missing characters in a 1200+ list that obviously selected by multiple people.

beans

Smash Lord
But even if they left out a completely possible unique Porky spirit fight for a joke about the ASC, it doesn't explain the absense of even an online icon for him.
I dont think they left something out for a joke. I just think they cut some corners and the staff were just making something that wouldnt take a lot of time.

Why would there be an online icon?

D

Deleted member

It's likely not because of the gender split, but because of the lack of official art.

Wii Fit, from what I assume, doesn't have OA for the Trainer, Robin is literally the only playable character in Awakening without official art, and the only art of Red and Leaf is Sugimori art, which likely has ownership or rights issues.
But how does that explain every damn Pokemon Spirit ingame?

beans

Smash Lord
I think weirdest things about missing Spirits is that people are looking for missing characters in a 1200+ list that obviously selected by multiple people.
Sakurai is just making the biggest setup in the history of gaming.
He is using all the XYZ and synchro to make the most unpredictable moves ever.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I dont think they left something out for a joke. I just think they cut some corners and the staff were just making something that wouldnt take a lot of time.

Why would there be an online icon?
Because it'd be incredibly easy to just add a png of Porky for someone to have as an icon.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think one of the weirdest Spirit omissions is Adeleine. Considering she and Ribbon just got revived for Kirby Star Allies, it's kinda weird that she's absent in this game.
Yes, I agree, but the omission of Taranza is weird as well.
The omission of Adeleine is more suspicious though, not because of the character itself, but because of the fact that Kirby 64 is completely unrepresented in the game aside of 2 songs (one comes from Brawl and the other is a rip of the original).
Triple Deluxe at least has a Queen Sectonia spirit.
Not Adeleine, nor Ribbon, not even the crystal are represented... the game just doesn't exist (though we have Gooey and all the Dream Land 3 animals as spirits, and Gryll).

beans

Smash Lord
Because it'd be incredibly easy to just add a png of Porky for someone to have as an icon.
I dunno. By that logic wouldn't it be just as easy to make every spirit an icon?
Again, I just believe the staff were cutting corners here and there with ze pngs.

Double K

Smash Lord
Sugimori doesn't design every Pokemon anymore. There was a tweet a few months ago that I can't find anymore which had a person getting really indignant about people thinking that every Pokemon was Sugimori when that hasn't been true since Gen 1, and even went as far as to provide about three dozen citations including tweets the actual designers have said which Pokemon they worked on

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm hoping that they add it in as free DLC somewhere down the line. Maybe with a new page of Challenges.
Boss Rush would be too easy to add. Home Run would be cool too. I also think that randomizing the things they added in for spirit mode would make for a cool special orders mode.

beans

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
Yes, I agree, but the omission of Taranza is weird as well.
The omission of Adeleine is more suspicious though, not because of the character itself, but because of the fact that Kirby 64 is completely unrepresented in the game aside of 2 songs (one comes from Brawl and the other is a rip of the original).
Triple Deluxe at least has a Queen Sectonia spirit.
Not Adeleine, nor Ribbon, not even the crystal are represented... the game just doesn't exist (though we have Gooey and all the Dream Land 3 animals as spirits, and Gryll).
I was thinking about this too. Kirby 64 had a great soundtrack, so I'm kinda upset they didn't add many tracks from that game. (Inside the Ruins anyone?)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
OK. I've said a couple times that Bayonetta is the exception and people are still using her against me. So....

Secondly, I don't really know. Especially in this game, Zelda, Peach, Daisy and Isabelle all seam very similar. Peppy, cheery, sassy ladies. Then Samus, Sheik, and Lucina both come across as silent stoic warriors. The avatar characters are kind of different (Inkling especially), but they also all have a Male counterpart so it feels like it shouldn't count/ Bayonetta's really different, but she's the only one. Palutena certainly has that kind of nerdy goddess personality, but if you don't know about the Guidances then you don't get any of it. So she just falls in with Samus and co.

So... that. That's where I'm coming from. This is what I got from them JUST from playing Smash. (BTW, previous Zelda's would have been in with Samus and co.)

In all fairness, Smash isn’t really the best series to show off every fighter’s nuisances and character depth. It definitely helps to know the context of the characters outside of Smash.

I agree with you that it’d be nice to see more female characters in the roster, some of my top picks are Dixie, Shantae and Cynthia (heck, technically you’ll get three female fighters in one with Cynthia considering most of the Pokémon she uses that could be viable for this game are officially female). We definitely shouldn’t undercut the ones we have so far though. Also I don’t know if you were serious in your suggestion to make all the characters female, but I will say so far the only instance in fiction where I’ve seen a character go from male to female in a new iteration and be a million times better is:
CB2F276E-38B0-43F1-A5D7-32A0E6C05EA3.png

Those were made by a different artist?

D

Deleted member

Eh we basically related at this point that's my chief right there

WOT
Ok, I'll tell you since you asked nicely but basically, some people here are buying it
Sugimori doesn't design every Pokemon anymore. There was a tweet a few months ago that I can't find anymore which had a person getting really indignant about people thinking that every Pokemon was Sugimori when that hasn't been true since Gen 1, and even went as far as to provide about three dozen citations including tweets the actual designers have said which Pokemon they worked on
I know that very well but we still have a bunch of artwork for the Gen 1 Pokemon that are used ingame.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Smash For, sure. Brawl, arguable, but I'm glad you liked the theme, it's pretty good.
“liked” and “pretty good”....I think you spelt “****ING LOVE” and “****ING PERFECT” wrong

Especially if the DLC characters franchises get spirits of their own, I could totally see new World of Light paths being added with new bosses. I'd love it if they brought back Rayquaza, Porky, and Tabuu as bosses. Maybe Verge's Ender Dragon. Sans! I liked world of light. Had a blast playing it (and I was expecting to hate it). So I'd love to get more.
Trust me, Palutena is in her own category called...The Pretty Professor Palutena Club. Personality wise she’s pretty much a hotter, smarter, worse cooking, older version of Pit

Iridium

Smash Hero
What was it this time?
Okay, I might have misinterpreted this, but Hitagi apparently correctly predicted a Granblue fighting game IIRC, and because Hitagi is saying Erdrick is getting in, we're just suspicious. At least I'm certain I was hearing about that.

Also just what Luigi The President Luigi The President posted. He just got a lot more attention, from what it seems, due to "leaks" and sources.

Edit: Scratch out the Hitagi and Erdrick thing. The leak mania, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, I might have misinterpreted this, but Hitagi apparently correctly predicted a Granblue fighting game IIRC, and because Hitagi is saying Erdrick is getting in, we're just suspicious. At least I'm certain I was hearing about that.

Also just what Luigi The President Luigi The President posted.
Hitagi said nothing on Erdrick in particular as far as I'm aware, it was just a random 2chan leak that said "**** we already know, easy to predict **** and uhm granblue... fight...ing goldame"

beans

Smash Lord

Also just what Luigi The President Luigi The President posted.
Hmm.
While curious that Granblue fighting game claim by Hitagi came true, I dont think we should use ones history outside of Smash as validation.
By that logic Vergeben would've been dead in the water from the start.

Double K

Smash Lord
Hmm.
While curious that Granblue fighting game claim by Hitagi came true, I dont think we should use ones history outside of Smash as validation.
By that logic Vergeben would've been dead in the water from the start.
It's more specifically that this heavily implies that Hitagi has a source within Cygames, meaning if the company was working with Nintendo on Smash, that'd be decently credible, I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom