• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Like I said, I don't know why. This idea just speaks to me. I don't even LIKE Dragon Quest! I ust really wan't this character. I saw her picture and I was just like, She should be in Smash.
Guess I dont have the right to question that since I like the male versions of Robin amd Corrin more then the female versions pf

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think all the characters who have an alternate costume that changes the character’s appearance (e.g. Pokemon Trainer, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer) use their Smash Ultimate renders. It’s a weird choice, but it would explain the whole Cloud spirit art situation.
It's likely not because of the gender split, but because of the lack of official art.

Wii Fit, from what I assume, doesn't have OA for the Trainer, Robin is literally the only playable character in Awakening without official art, and the only art of Red and Leaf is Sugimori art, which likely has ownership or rights issues.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That sounds really boring, tbh.
I did it with Shovel Knight. I'll do it again here. I actually plan on doing a Shovel Knight esque Body Swap mode art series for Ultimate (which begrudgingly means I'll be doing Male versions of female characters, but C'est la vie). I just prefer women to men in fiction. Extremely personal bias, I know.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
So Hitagi got something right again? Cool, but they still went back on Steve and Katalina, right?

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
But does it really have to? Some players just really like the extremely technical and fast-paced style of Melee. Ultimate is as close to Melee as we'll probably get, but as long as both remain popular, I can't see Ultimate doing too much to stop it, but exist too.

To be honest, things never go right every time we think Melee will die somehow. The fanbase is still strong enough to hold itself.
I dont know why are we looking for the approvation of the Melee Fanbase to this game to begin with.

I love Melee, was a game that I enjoyed a lot in my childhood and I still have it along with my old cube, but Ultimate has already dethroned Melee for me, it has a lot of content, chars,stages and cool music, and this Smash still has that charm that makes you have a good time with your friends, like in the elementary school days.

Im happy with that and I dont need the approvation of Melee fanbase.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Oh come on! This game has GOT to finally be the one to dethrone Melee. It's just got to! It's faster, it's got all the characters, you can still use that crappy controller! What's left! The switch is even portable . What! Does it NEED to come from a tiny purple box on a disc with terrible storage space for people to like it?!?
Calling the controller crappy is a little subjective and if you think Ultimate is faster than top level melee then you need to do more reaearch

Iridium

Smash Hero
I dont know why are we looking for the approvation of the Melee Fanbase to this game to begin with.

I love Melee, was a game that I enjoyed a lot in my childhood and I still have it along with my old cube, but Ultimate has already dethroned Melee for me, it has a lot of content, chars,stages and cool music, and this Smash still has that charm that makes you have a good time with your friends, like in the elementary school days.
Well, yeah. To me, it's just a matter of who prefers what. I think both will be very popular over time still, but we'll see. Both being at EVO is good, at least. I just don't like hearing talk about Melee dying every time a new Smash comes out like that, that's all.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Calling the controller crappy is a little subjective and if you think Ultimate is faster than top level melee then you need to do more reaearch
OK. I'll say I don't like the gamecube controller and think it's bad compared to the standarised layout I'm used too.
And I've never watched top level Melee. All I know is that this game is way faster that Brawl and Smash4.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Well, yeah. To me, it's just a matter of who prefers what. I think both will be very popular over time still, but we'll see. Both being at EVO is good, at least. I just don't like hearing talk about Melee dying every time a new Smash comes out like that, that's all.
And I just reminded myself: I can't believe Nintendo of Japan won't let Ultimate be featured at EVO Japan 2019. Definitely protective, but why?

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
You two are related!?! I'd never have guessed. Does make sense why you too always seem to be fighting then.
nah we aren't actually related I just call her that.

But honestly, if you don't watch any top level melee, go look and give it a try. You'll see why it's the most popular smash game for competitors and why the Gamecube controller is many people's preferred layout

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
OK. I'll say I don't like the gamecube controller and think it's bad compared to the standarised layout I'm used too.
And I've never watched top level Melee. All I know is that this game is way faster that Brawl and Smash4.
It depends what you define as speed.

Ultimate has organic speed, you don't need to do weird airdodges on ground to do attacks out of dash or cancel aerial moves' landing lag manually. But at its zenith, Melee is faster.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
OK. To clarify, I don't want everyone to become sex objects. If anything, keeping true to their original personalities as the opposite gender would make for excellent diversity.
How is switching everyone's gender more diversity than keeping them the same gender? It'd be the same amount of diversity except now the numbers are switched.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
How is switching everyone's gender more diversity than keeping them the same gender? It'd be the same amount of diversity except now the numbers are switched.
It's the "youtube rewind" method of representation. Just have or mention [INSERT MINORITY] a certain amount and then boom, it's proper representation.

Most being ****ty toys noone wanted
On God if someone gave me a ****ing pichu toy i'd slap the **** out of them

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
For any doubting Spirits deconfirms characters. After playing for a while now (not done yet), I can say for sure that there's no way a character that appears as a Spirit would be a DLC. To me, placements says it all.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's the "youtube rewind" method of representation. Just have or mention [INSERT MINORITY] a certain amount and then boom, it's proper representation.
It's not just about having them. Having 50 Bayonettas or peach's would be just as bad. It's about a diverse cast of shapes and personalities. With very few exceptions the girls in Smash are all very similar to each other. Compare Mario to Link. Or Snake. Or Ryu. Or Pikachu. They're all very different. Now compare Peach to Zelda. Compare Samus to Lucina. The only one who feels extremely unique personality wise is Bayonetta.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
Look at the male characters, now look at the female characters. Tell me which one is more diverse.
But then there'd be more females than males. If your idea of diversity is way more females than males, then I have to break the news that that isn't diverse at all.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
It's not just about having them. Having 50 bayonettas or peach's would be just as bad. It's about a diverse cast of shapes and personalities. With very few exceptions the girls in Smash are all very similar.
ok but just gender swapping people doesn't create diversity or good female characters. It literally just makes them a male character who is now not male.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Does anyone actually care what gender they are if they're characters people actually like?

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's not just about having them. Having 50 bayonettas or peach's would be just as bad. It's about a diverse cast of shapes and personalities. With very few exceptions the girls in Smash are all very similar.
:ultbayonetta::ulticeclimbers::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultsheik::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::4villagerf::4wendy:: all very similar

Please tell me you are joking

LetterO

Smash Lord
It's not just about having them. Having 50 Bayonettas or peach's would be just as bad. It's about a diverse cast of shapes and personalities. With very few exceptions the girls in Smash are all very similar to each other. Compare Mario to Link. Or Snake. Or Ryu. Or Pikachu. They're all very different. Now compare Peach to Zelda. Compare Samus to Lucina. The only one who feels extremely unique personality wise is Bayonetta.
Peach and Zelda are nothing alike princesses aside. Samus and Lucina don't even have anything in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom