• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't know how any of you can like the Brawl theme, it sounds so much like it's trying to be "epic and edgy" which was the whole problem with Brawl's aesthetic. Smash Bros music is not supposed to sound like One-Winged Angel.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know how any of you can like the Brawl theme, it sounds so much like it's trying to be "epic and edgy" which was the whole problem with Brawl's aesthetic. Smash Bros music is not supposed to sound like One-Winged Angel.
Because it's really a good theme that is genuinely epic, not "trying to be". Not sure where the edgy part comes from, honestly, though.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
mang

186qg32pywvozjpg.jpg

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
It is unfitting for Smash as a game, and is certainly over-the-top...

But it's still a good-ass theme that's really memorable, independent of context.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
......you....do know Nobuo Uematsu composed that theme, right? And that he loves using choirs to enhance the drama in a song? It was made like that because Brawl was supposed to be more serious and dramatic due to the cinematic style of Subspace. It was supposed to be an epic accompanying the cinematic scope of Subspace. Don't know where the "edgy-ness" part falls in as choirs aren't edgy.

And if Smash ain't supposed to sound like One-Winged Angel, then why does Ultimate's theme and it's many renditions have choirs in them?

segillav

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like Brawl's dark/realistic aesthetic either but I love the song.

osby

Smash Obsessed
poeple hav difernt obinion... from i???
Yep. Personally, I think Smash themes should have a epic and grandiose side of them. That's why I didn't really liked Smash For's theme: It felt like an attempt to correct Brawl's theme and the result wasn't particularly interesting imo.

But if you think Smash themes should be more upbeat, that's also perfectly okay.

Though, I still don't get which part of it sounds like One Winged Angel or edgy.

I don't really like Brawl's dark/realistic aesthetic either but I love the song.
Aesthetic and theme don't always fit. I hate how dingy Melee looks but its theme was fine.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yep. Personally, I think Smash themes should have a epic and grandiose side of them. That's why I didn't really liked Smash For's theme: It felt like an attempt to correct Brawl's theme and the result wasn't particularly interesting imo.

But if you think Smash themes should be more upbeat, that's also perfectly okay.

Though, I still don't get which part of it sounds like One Winged Angel or edgy.

Aesthetic and theme don't always fit. I hate how dingy Melee looks but its theme was fine.
Oh my god I can't iterate enough how much I hate Melee's art style. It looks to plasticy and fake. Worse then Sonic Adventure.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's a good theme is why

Ha, goteem

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh my god I can't iterate enough how much I hate Melee's art style. It looks to plasticy and fake. Worse then Sonic Adventure.
Melee has potato quality models and it blows my mind that some people think it aged well.

*ahem* Yeah, sure, different opinions and all. Still don't get why making characters look like cheap toys counts as good art direction just because it doesn't try to look realistic.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
So I decided to cave in and play World of Light for about 2 hours. Before I started, I said to myself, "Hey, maybe I won't hate this as much as I think I will."

Oops.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I liked the theme when it didn't have lyrics. Now it's ****ing garbage.
When it comes to videogame music, I simply prefer just instrumentals, and I still hold that preference. Mostly what I felt hearing it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Melee has potato quality models and it blows my mind that some people think it aged well.

*ahem* Yeah, sure, different opinions and all. Still don't get why making characters look like cheap toys counts as good art direction just because it doesn't try to look realistic.
I think the main thing of melee was they were toys came to life

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
That's a good excuse for not bothering for unique on-screen animations, not for ugly models.
Melee was made during the awkward puberty stage of 3D Nintendo, back when the Gamecube/higher-polygon modelling was new on the scene and all they had to go on were rough N64 designs. Hasn't held up one bit, but I can forgive it as the remnant of a slightly weird era.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Melee was made during the awkward puberty stage of 3D Nintendo, back when the Gamecube/higher-polygon modelling was new on the scene and all they had to go on were rough N64 designs. Hasn't held up one bit, but I can forgive it as the remnant of a slightly weird era.
Melee. The glitchy ugly mess that everybody loves. Sometimes I just don't understand.

Roberk

Smash Champion
First few hours in the light realm: Initial excitement, then a slog of fighting literal who’s.

Galeem fight: Epic, makes you want to play more and redeems fighting a bunch of low tier crap for the ost few hours.

Dark realm: Damn, this again? (Cool areas and fights, but starting to rush through it. Quiz section was neat.)

Dharkon fight: Doesn’t feel as satisfying as Galeem tbh.

Final realm: Feel bad for the people who will go for the bad endings and stop there.

Playable Master Hand: KINO

Final boss: Boss rush was fun and it was interesting how Galeem and Dharkon damaged each other with their attacks.

Overall, World of Light was filled with a lot of neat little references for the core fans of the characters, but they will fall flat on 90% of Ultimate players imo. Can be a bit of a slog at times, but the last 30 minutes make up for it ten times over. Wish the cutscenes were more than 2 eyeballs firing lasers at each other though.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Some of the characters look good. I quite like how the Zelda cast and Marth look. Then you have others that aren't bad and represent them well at the time (Fox, Falco, Samus, Falcon, Kirby spring to mind) but yeah everyone else looks garbage. Hard to blame the developers though; Melee was the first game in the series to use fully rendered models and had no models to base them off besides polygons when it started development for 97% of the cast.

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Just beat WoL and holy ****. I really wasn't big on it before but the way they handled the design of the last map is just despicable.

I haven't seen padding that bad in a nintendo game in quite some time

D

Deleted member

So we're at that stage in every franchise's life where when the latest installment gets released, everyone trash talks the older ones?

Neat. Can't wait for the inevitable 180 in 6 months where everyone trash talks Ultimate and praises Melee again. It's just like Zelda! :p

osby

Smash Obsessed
So we're at that stage in every franchise's life where when the latest installment gets released, everyone trash talks the older ones?

Neat. Can't wait for the inevitable 180 in 6 months where everyone trash talks Ultimate and praises Melee again. It's just like Zelda! :p
Spoiler: some people already do that

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh come on! This game has GOT to finally be the one to dethrone Melee. It's just got to! It's faster, it's got all the characters, you can still use that crappy controller! What's left! The switch is even portable . What! Does it NEED to come from a tiny purple box on a disc with terrible storage space for people to like it?!?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yep, lol. Which is totally fine, everyone as an opinion and personal taste.

Taking a break from Smash today to grind out the Splatfest pain train. Going well so far but that never lasts, lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh come on! This game has GOT to finally be the one to dethrone Melee. It's just got to! It's faster, it's got all the characters, you can still use that crappy controller! What's left! The switch is even portable . What! Does it NEED to come from a tiny purple box on a disc with terrible storage space for people to like it?!?
You're just listing reasons why it's not good enough: It's not Melee.

Personally, I'm fine with people liking Melee, I just don't like fandoms creating sacred cows.

Iridium

Smash Hero
But does it really have to? Some players just really like the extremely technical and fast-paced style of Melee. Ultimate is as close to Melee as we'll probably get, but as long as both remain popular, I can't see Ultimate doing too much to stop it, but exist too.

To be honest, things never go right every time we think Melee will die somehow. The fanbase is still strong enough to hold itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom