• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Heck no

Ridley has more fans in the west than the east by a land slide

Little Mac is was barely known in Japan when he was first revealed for smash 4

It’s ritcher the Japan prefer not simon as a matter of fact that’s why all of simons moves are derived from ritcher

And you know Dark Samus
All that's the case, but we're talking about characters created by Western studios from franchises that were developed by Western studios. Of which case that leaves us with stuff like Doom, Fallout, the Elder Scrolls, Minecraft, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Banjo-Kazooie, Killer Instinct, and Mortal Kombat. Sure, there's more choices out there, but then we'd be getting into "jokey" stuff like Fortnite or a royalty landmine like Overwatch. The irony here is that I mentioned Crash & Spyro, even though their IP are owned by Activision Blizzard, who also own Overwatch, but the difference is that they can't microtransact the hell out of those two, especially since the well ran dry with Skylanders a long time ago (which, unlike amiibos, game stores practically beg you to take them) and they moved on to lootboxes.

I just want to see one Western-born IP be part of this pack, and if I'm a betting man, I'd bet either the Elder Scrolls or Crash Bandicoot will be getting into this pack. I'd play the heck out of the Dovakhin, but I would honestly think Nintendo would balance the pack a little with a "safer" pick with a character like Crash that has more mainstream appeal and is going through a career revival. We may get both in the end, though. The Joker's wild shattered all predictions.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Talking western newcomers, huh?

In that case, allow me to push Steve very hard for one moment... Especially assuming no one else will:

• Minecraft is huge in both the west, and Japan,
  • One of the last major gaming all-stars who have yet to be in Smash
  • Minecraft is the second best selling game of all time
  • Would bring a very unique moveset with him
  • Huge ties with Nintendo
  • Is basically the current face of western third party support, when it comes to Nintendo
I just really want Steve, I have fond memories of Minecraft from my childhood, and he would be just such a hype reveal for me

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
All that's the case, but we're talking about characters created by Western studios from franchises that were developed by Western studios. Of which case that leaves us with stuff like Doom, Fallout, the Elder Scrolls, Minecraft, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Banjo-Kazooie, Killer Instinct, and Mortal Kombat. Sure, there's more choices out there, but then we'd be getting into "jokey" stuff like Fortnite or a royalty landmine like Overwatch. The irony here is that I mentioned Crash & Spyro, even though their IP are owned by Activision Blizzard, who also own Overwatch, but the difference is that they can't microtransact the hell out of those two, especially since the well ran dry with Skylanders a long time ago (which, unlike amiibos, game stores practically beg you to take them) and they moved on to lootboxes.

I just want to see one Western-born IP be part of this pack, and if I'm a betting man, I'd bet either the Elder Scrolls or Crash Bandicoot will be getting into this pack. I'd play the heck out of the Dovakhin, but I would honestly think Nintendo would balance the pack a little with a "safer" pick with a character like Crash that has more mainstream appeal and is going through a career revival. We may get both in the end, though. The Joker's wild shattered all predictions.
You a bit late someone already told me

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
but Steve as a character is just so boring, just a static face and a grunt once in a while, he would clash so much with the rest of the roster. Minecraft would be much better off being represented by a stage and an assist trophy.
Being "boring" or "better to be [thing]" is just your own opinion, and if it's an opinion, how is that a point other than personal preference? How would he "clash so much" with the rest of the roster when we have :ultgnw:, :ultrob:, or even :ultwiifittrainer: if you're going to call him static or not with personality.

The issue with the "stage" comment is that the DLC pack exclusively has a character, stage, and music pack (no assist trophy). Ergo, if Banjo does happen, you're implying we get a Minecraft Stage instead of Mumbo Mountain or Gruntilda's Castle? You could argue the free stages given like Mario Maker and Duck Hunt, but those haven't actually occurred yet in the game, so we can't actually have it fully support the argument.

Frankly, what you're asking for is impossible by techinicality.

And while Master Chief would be incredibly cool and unexpected, the difference between him and Cloud/Joker is that Final Fantasy and Persona are third party franchises at the end of the day, those characters always have the possibility of showing up on a Nintendo console outside of Smash, Halo isn't showing up on Nintendo unless Microsoft steps out of the console race.
Final Fantasy VII wasn't on any Nintendo console by the time he was revealed, and it still took 4 or 5 years to even show up on the Switch afterward. Persona 5 is also an exclusive PS4 game. Cloud doesn't represent Final Fantasy, he represents Final Fantasy VII. Joker probably isn't representing Persona, he's probably representing Persona 5. Get my point?

If you can prove to me Sakurai has a rule that says you have to be able to have your own main series on a Nintendo console to be in Smash, feel free to show me.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
How would y'all improve the Classic Mode bonus game? Honestly, it had so much potential. For one, it could have been a random challenge each time from a pool of:

1. The current one we have
2. Break the Targets (only one unique one)
3. Board the Platforms (same as above)
4. Mob Smash

Noipoi

Howdy!
How would y'all improve the Classic Mode bonus game? Honestly, it had so much potential. For one, it could have been a random challenge each time from a pool of:

1. The current one we have
2. Break the Targets (only one unique one)
3. Board the Platforms (same as above)
4. Mob Smash
It's a fun mini game, but doing it over and over gets a little grating.

I would have it just like this. Several random challenges.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We Never Saw It Coming: The Game Awards as a Case Study for Doubt

Hello everyone, and welcome to the second in a series of speculation posts written by your's truly. Last time I wrote about the hot buzz surrounding a potential Square Enix character joining the fight, and this time I'll be writing about The Game Awards (in much less words) and arguing that we should all be more critical towards insider information regardless of how reputable a given insider is. So, lets get right into it!
  • I feel that before I write anything I should first voice that in writing this I do not intend to demean or slander anyone's character. If I come across that way, then it's nothing more than a failure of my writing and not an outright attack.
  • Of course, this is speculation. I am not an absolute authority nor will I ever be. I'm simply a fan with a good mind for speculation who likes to put that to use.
To sum it briefly, Doritos Pope delivered:

In more detail:
June 16, 2018
Reggie and Geoff Keighley play Mario Tennis at E3 2018, and Reggie hints at a special reveal at The Game Awards 2018 (first 20 seconds of the Twitter video).

September 26, 2018
Reggie wears a Metroid shirt under his suit in a picture with Geoff Keighley. The picture is posted on Twitter with the caption "See you in December!" Fans speculate that Metroid Prime 4 will be shown off at The Game Awards.

October 24, 2018
In the midst of the Grinch Hoax, Spawn Wave drops a hint about Sora being revealed for Smash Bros. at The Game Awards. Fans speculate that a Smash Bros. reveal may occur at The Game Awards.

November 1, 2018
In the Final Smash Bros. Direct, Piranha Plant 5 unknown DLC fighters are announced. Fans begin to speculate who the unknown fighters could be.

~November 2, 2018
Reputable Leaker Vergeben states that the Square Enix character will be the first DLC character revealed. (Source 2)

November 6, 2018
Sakurai confirms on Twitter that the DLC fighter selection is complete, saying that "This time the selection (of characters) was made entirely by Nintendo." Fans begin to despair about what this could mean.

November 14, 2018
Reputable Leaker Spawn Wave teases an upcoming Metroid Prime reveal. Fans assume that this means a Metroid Prime 4 trailer at The Game Awards.

November 25, 2018
Spawn Wave hints again at Metroid Prime being revealed at The Game Awards.

November 26, 2018
Spawn Wave drops another hint about an upcoming Metroid Prime reveal.

Concurrently, our own PolarPanda begins to drop information about the Square Enix character. He, Fatmanonice, and Rummy continue to drop details leading up to The Game Awards with the assumed payoff that the Square Enix rep will be the first character revealed there.

November 30, 2018
@BoundaryBreak posts a clip of the June 16 video to Twitter. Fans begin to hype up.

December 4, 2018
Spawn Wave continues to hint at a Metroid Prime reveal.

Swedish retailer Inet lists a Metroid Prime Trilogy for Nintendo Switch on their store front. People take it as a soft confirmation; Metroid Prime at The Game Awards is all but confirmed.

December 5, 2018
Spawn Wave drops one final hint towards a Metroid Prime reveal at The Game Awards.

Fatmanonice, privy to the same information as PolarPanda and his sources, tells the Geno thread not to expect a Smash Bros. reveal at The Game Awards.

Reputable insider Ryce says not to expect a DLC reveal "for another month or two."

December 6, 2018
Joker from Persona 5 is revealed as a playable character at The Game Awards, and Metroid Prime does not make any appearance.

Following the Game Awards, PolarPanda remarks that what was implied to happen to his source did not happen.
The idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is one that I helped popularize to the point where it became a main point for the Grinch Hoax ("Incineroar is leak bait!") and I regretted it. It's a hypothetical scenario that's difficult to prove, but I believe that the scenario surrounding The Game Awards proves that, at the very least, the idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is on the table.

Spawn Wave was known for a perfect streak of leaks, and Panda's source was verified by multiple Smashboards moderators and veteran community members, proving that they have actual insider information. For all intents and purposes, they should've have had correct information, but they didn't. Everything pointed towards Metroid Prime, yet instead we get Joker in Smash Bros. Essentially, this shows that Nintendo is capable of spreading misinformation, and more importantly, they know where to spread misinformation. Therefore, regardless of how many sources a person has, their conjecture should be taken as that until proven otherwise

Granted, the Video Game Awards is an event that Nintendo is a part of and not something run by Nintendo, so the misinformation could've been due to Geoff Keighly and co. instead of Nintendo, similar to the circumstances surrounding the Square Enix rep, but this is the third known use of misinformation during Smash Bros. DLC speculation (the first being the Square Enix rep, and the second being the fake list of characters obtained by Hitagi and co.). As Poet Jade Ivy said:
Once is an Accident, Twice is a Coincidence, Three Times is a Pattern
Smash Bros. DLC speculation is a different beast from main speculation entirely. We don't have playtesters to leak everything, nor can we truly rely on insiders to give us information. I believe its time we break the cycle of speculation wherein we engage with different insiders (Vergeben, loz18, Spawn Wave, PolarPanda and co., etc.), take their word as gospel, and then cast them to the side when their time in the light is finished. Instead, I encourage a return to speculation wherein insiders are treated more as potential points in an argument moreso than otherworldly beings speaking the word of God. PolarPanda has been doing a good job of creating an environment wherein this is true, but I believe that we as a community ought to step it up ourselves, as I see Polar's words being misconstrued and fit to other narratives even when he makes a point to discourage that.

At this point, DLC is anyone's game, and it seems that even insiders are along for the ride with us. So how about instead of worrying, we just all enjoy the ride?

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Hello everyone, and welcome to the second in a series of speculation posts written by your's truly. Last time I wrote about the hot buzz surrounding a potential Square Enix character joining the fight, and this time I'll be writing about The Game Awards (in much less words) and arguing that we should all be more critical towards insider information regardless of how reputable a given insider is. So, lets get right into it!
  • I feel that before I write anything I should first voice that in writing this I do not intend to demean or slander anyone's character. If I come across that way, then it's nothing more than a failure of my writing and not an outright attack.
  • Of course, this is speculation. I am not an absolute authority nor will I ever be. I'm simply a fan with a good mind for speculation who likes to put that to use.

In more detail:
June 16, 2018
Reggie and Geoff Keighley play Mario Tennis at E3 2018, and Reggie hints at a special reveal at The Game Awards 2018 (first 20 seconds of the Twitter video).

September 26, 2018
Reggie wears a Metroid shirt under his suit in a picture with Geoff Keighley. The picture is posted on Twitter with the caption "See you in December!" Fans speculate that Metroid Prime 4 will be shown off at The Game Awards.

October 24, 2018
In the midst of the Grinch Hoax, Spawn Wave drops a hint about Sora being revealed for Smash Bros. at The Game Awards. Fans speculate that a Smash Bros. reveal may occur at The Game Awards.

November 1, 2018
In the Final Smash Bros. Direct, Piranha Plant 5 unknown DLC fighters are announced. Fans begin to speculate who the unknown fighters could be.

~November 2, 2018
Reputable Leaker Vergeben states that the Square Enix character will be the first DLC character revealed. (Source 2)

November 6, 2018
Sakurai confirms on Twitter that the DLC fighter selection is complete, saying that "This time the selection (of characters) was made entirely by Nintendo." Fans begin to despair about what this could mean.

November 14, 2018
Reputable Leaker Spawn Wave teases an upcoming Metroid Prime reveal. Fans assume that this means a Metroid Prime 4 trailer at The Game Awards.

November 25, 2018

November 26, 2018

Concurrently, our own PolarPanda begins to drop information about the Square Enix character. He, Fatmanonice, and Rummy continue to drop details leading up to The Game Awards with the assumed payoff that the Square Enix rep will be the first character revealed there.

November 30, 2018
@BoundaryBreak posts a clip of the June 16 video to Twitter. Fans begin to hype up.

December 4, 2018

Swedish retailer Inet lists a Metroid Prime Trilogy for Nintendo Switch on their store front. People take it as a soft confirmation; Metroid Prime at The Game Awards is all but confirmed.

December 5, 2018
Spawn Wave drops one final hint towards a Metroid Prime reveal at The Game Awards.

Fatmanonice, privy to the same information as PolarPanda and his sources, tells the Geno thread not to expect a Smash Bros. reveal at The Game Awards.

Reputable insider Ryce says not to expect a DLC reveal "for another month or two."

December 6, 2018
Joker from Persona 5 is revealed as a playable character at The Game Awards, and Metroid Prime does not make any appearance.

Following the Game Awards, PolarPanda remarks that what was implied to happen to his source did not happen.
The idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is one that I helped popularize to the point where it became a main point for the Grinch Hoax ("Incineroar is leak bait!"). It's a hypothetical scenario that's difficult to prove, but I believe that the scenario surrounding The Game Awards prove that, at the very least, the idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is on the table.

Spawn Wave was known for a perfect streak of leaks, and Panda's source was verified by multiple Smashboards moderators and veteran community members, proving that they have actual insider information. For all intents and purposes, they should've have had correct information, but they didn't. Everything pointed towards Metroid Prime, yet instead we get Joker in Smash Bros. Essentially, this shows that Nintendo is capable of spreading misinformation, and more importantly, they know where to spread misinformation. Therefore, regardless of how many sources a person has, their conjecture should be taken as that until proven otherwise

Granted, the Video Game Awards is an event that Nintendo is a part of and not something run by Nintendo, so the misinformation could've been due to Geoff Keighly and co. instead of Nintendo, similar to the circumstances surrounding the Square Enix rep, but this is the third known use of misinformation during Smash Bros. DLC speculation (the first being the Square Enix rep, and the second being the fake list of characters obtained by Hitagi and co.). As Poet Jade Ivy said:
Smash Bros. DLC speculation is a different beast from main speculation entirely. We don't have playtesters to leak everything, nor can we truly rely on insiders to give us information. I believe its time we break the cycle of speculation wherein we engage with different insiders (Vergeben, loz18, Spawn Wave, PolarPanda and co., etc.), take their word as gospel, and then cast them to the side when their time in the light is finished. Instead, I encourage a return to speculation wherein insiders are treated more as potential points in an argument moreso than otherworldly beings speaking the word of God. PolarPanda has been doing a good job of creating an environment wherein this is true, but I believe that we as a community ought to step it up ourselves, as I see Polar's words being misconstrued and fit to other narratives even when he makes a point to discourage that.

At this point, DLC is anyone's game, and it seems that even insiders are along for the ride with us. So how about instead of worrying, we just all enjoy the ride?
Not one, but two meaty posts in two days?

Pony, you spoil me.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

In more detail:
June 16, 2018

September 26, 2018

October 24, 2018

November 1, 2018

~November 2, 2018

November 6, 2018

November 14, 2018

November 25, 2018

November 26, 2018

November 30, 2018

December 4, 2018

December 5, 2018

December 6, 2018

The idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is one that I helped popularize to the point where it became a main point for the Grinch Hoax ("Incineroar is leak bait!"). It's a hypothetical scenario that's difficult to prove, but I believe that the scenario surrounding The Game Awards prove that, at the very least, the idea of Nintendo spreading misinformation is on the table.

All of this beautifulness and I'm still gonna have to hear "well the insiders said Geno was leakbait and it's probably DQ" huh
Same for you with Sora

Great post per usual TPC; was a good, simple read. Loved it! Great recap.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Smash ultimate online has to be one of the most unfun experiances I've ever had.

I can't even go to detail what is wrong with it ill be here all day. Smash 4's was genuinely better in every way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom