• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Who would make you physically angry if they got in as DLC?

No memes like Paul Blart but actual characters.

Also WHEW BOY
I've done a lot of thinking and my only real newcomer I would hate would be
Raiden as he appears in Metal Gear Rising. I didn't like that game very much and I also don't like his design in that game. The music would be almost worth it, but I have a LOT of personal bias against that game because I hate what it did to Raiden as he appears in MGS2 and 4.

At the same time i would mostly just roll my eyes. I got Joker. They could add anyone. Add Fortnite Girl. It's all good to me.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Thus far, of the ones I tried

Love: :ultwolf: - It's been so long, and he feels just right.
Like, but haven't practiced enough to know fully well: :ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultisabelle:
Used once, thus unclear/neutral: :ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultpichu::ulticeclimbers::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdaisy:
Untested: :ultchrom::ultyounglink::ultincineroar::ultinkling:
Yet to unlock: :ultsnake::ultken: (only missing these two and :ultcorrin::ultpalutena:)

-----------------------------------------------

Like them better than Smash 4: :ultdoc::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultyoshi::ultzelda::ultmarth:
About the same: :ultganondorf::ultfox::ultdk::ultbowserjr:
Like them less than Smash 4: :ultfalcon::ultfalco:
Haven't tried yet: Everyone else

Taking my time just unlocking everyone, getting to grips with the mechanics and enjoying WoL for now. Soon I'll start labbing with the entire cast.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Discussion topic:

Unlocking characters in WoL unlocks them for the rest of the game. But unlocking characters outside of WoL doesn't unlock them inside the game.

So my question is, how do you think DLC characters will be handled for WoL? Will they:

A. Be unlocked right from the start automatically.
B. Not be usable in WoL at all.
C. Have their spirit battle added to the WoL map someplace.

If C. do you think they'll just throw the tokens around in a few places, or do you think the new characters might have their own entirely new sections of the map, maybe with a bunch of other spirits relating to their series?

And if so, might those areas already be drawn onto the map now, but just but simply lacking the ability to walk to them, and IF SO, might there be any hints on the WoL map as to who the characters are?
Some characters have their own hidden maps to where they can be unlocked such as Ryu and Diddy Kong. I would love it if they added some bonus maps that can be found on WoL where you can unlock the DLC character and some of their corresponding spirits (I mean, we're most probably getting some additional spirits along with them anyway so it would be cool).

I'm not holding my breath for it though so they might just drop them somewhere on the map or auto unlock them while simply placing their series spirits to the spirit board...

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

Also WHEW BOY THIS IS OFFICIAL
Katalina would have been absolutely infuriating. I'm glad she's dead.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What how
His only flaw is self-damaging. Other than that he's a fantastic character
His lack of range really hurts him. He wants to do combos but in a practical match I don't think he has the tools to make them happen.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Favorite: :ultisabelle: and :ultrichter:, unsurprisingly. Though, they aren't as up to my alley as I hoped.

Least favorite: :ultridley: and :ultkrool: because ew.
You have bad taste and you should feel bad. K Rool is the bae of SSBU.

Favorites: :ultridley: (Just because hype, he plays too slow) :ultkrool: (Succ and cucc)

Least Favorites: Nobody! I love all the newcomers! I thought I'd hate :ultsimon::ultrichter: but I actually like them. Playing against them is difficult but rewarding when you get around their walls. I don't really care about :ultisabelle:. I know I'm supposed to be in love with her because she's apparently cute (I don't really get all "aww" over "cute" stuff. Maybe a real life puppy, but not a picture of one), but I would've preferred Nook or even Resetti over her. But she has an interesting moveset.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
What even is Wolf, lol.
A Wolf
Now that most of you have played the game, which of the newcomers are your favorites and least favorites?

I'm really liking :ultridley: and :ultinkling:. And I didn't end up liking :ultsimon: and :ultrichter:.
I’m really into :ultinkling: as always intended, but also :ultdaisy: and :ultchrom:...him only for the lulz

8DE2156C-2918-4543-8067-98837BBA2B1A.gif

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Mother 3 sold 100% in Japan, as did the original FE games that starred Marth and Roy. And all of them sold much worse in said country than DQ does. Entirely invalidated argument.
Lol I forgot Mother 3 and FE were third-party titles
Oh wait they're not

My argument is still completely valid as you're using a first-party concern to dispute a third-party one.

Given how the stage selection screen turned out, I don't think they're really that concerned with complete rows. :U
This just supports my point. 5 DLC stages will be added. The entire box will be completely filled except for one-which is up to debate, we aren't entirely sure if PP has a stage or not.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
quick, post WoL battles for P5 spirits

Ryuji: Pikachu (prioritizing electric moves) and K. Rool (prioritizing Side-B)
Ann: Bayonetta, curry equipped
Morgana: Tiny Incineroar, avoids melee combat, enemy AT Kapp'n
Yusuke: Fox, Killing Edge equipped, Freezies spawn rapidly

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
His lack of range really hurts him. He wants to do combos but in a practical match I don't think he has the tools to make them happen.
Pichu has the speed and mobility to make up for his range. He can get plenty of combos off out of throws, and many of his ground moves can link to up air.
Approaching with nair is also pretty safe, and his smash attacks are incredibly fast and kill quite early in the case of his F Smash. If he had more range with that kind of speed and size he'd be broken
(oh wait:ultpikachu:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know nothing about Persona 5 but we better frikin get the generic battle theme its so sick its been stuck in my head for days

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Sephiroth.

I wasn't a fan of Cloud in the first place since he's about as relevant to Nintendo as I am. Then everybody used him, so I'm kind of Clouded out. And he didn't even bring any good FF music with him, or even an interesting stage.

If we then double the Cloud count, I'll be very upset that I bought the season pass. That's on me, but still.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
I’ve tried nearly all the characters now, I’m trying to main Wii Fit Trainer or Samus as I like how they play and they’re not that Popular picks. I’m still not that good though lol

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My Smash 4 Charizard days are making it hard to readjust with Pokémon Trainer. Ivysaur feels great though.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
@ input lag
Reminder input lag can be caused by too many wireless signals in a room. I know I noticed my Wii U Pro Controller to be a lot less responsive than my 3DS and that's because my living room has a bunch of devices cinmected to the home wifi(computers, phones, our PS4). It's not an issue exclusive to Smash much less the Switch.
Handheld mode or GC controllers should circumvent that. when's wired pro controllers tho
What about handheld gameplay? Does that suffer input lag on this game?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I've done a lot of thinking and my only real newcomer I would hate would be
Raiden as he appears in Metal Gear Rising. I didn't like that game very much and I also don't like his design in that game. The music would be almost worth it, but I have a LOT of personal bias against that game because I hate what it did to Raiden as he appears in MGS2 and 4.

At the same time i would mostly just roll my eyes. I got Joker. They could add anyone. Add Fortnite Girl. It's all good to me.
Raiden's Metal Gear Rising incarnation is very much just a continuation of Metal Gear Solid 4's Raiden so I'm confused at what you mean by this. They killed Cry Baby Raiden after 2 so him in Metal Gear Rising is much closer to his characterization in MGS4.

Raiden as a designed character is subjective of course but the sleek, black, mechanical look, is, in my opinion, far superior to his weird liquidy body in MGS4 and much more in line with The previous Cyborg Ninja's from MGS1 and 2. He looks far more like a cyborg now. Not to mention that design of Raiden was overseen and approved by Hideo Kojima when he was still developing the game himself as Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

Gameplay is subjective too but for an action game, hopefully you didn't go in expecting MGS Stealth, it's top notch.

I'm not trying to say your opinion is wrong or whatever because of course you have different taste than I. I'm just a little baffled you like MGS4 Raiden and HATE MGR Raiden as you said. They're closer than MGS2 and 4 Raiden are. He's still his sympathetic, loving, and ut bad ass self in Rising. His personality hasn't really changed.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
quick, post WoL battles for P5 spirits

Ryuji: Pikachu (prioritizing electric moves) and K. Rool (prioritizing Side-B)
Ann: Bayonetta, curry equipped
Morgana: Tiny Incineroar, avoids melee combat, enemy AT Kapp'n
Yusuke: Fox, Killing Edge equipped, Freezies spawn rapidly
Ryuji: Green M!Robin, Black King K. Rool
  • Enemy prefers Neutral Specials
  • Reinforcements will appear
Ann: Red Bayonetta 2!Bayonetta, Red Palutena
  • Enemy prefers Side Specials
Morgana: Tiny Black!Incineroar, Marth
  • Hostile Assist Trophies will appear (Kapp'n)
Yusuke: Light Blue Lucario, Ike
  • Items will spawn rapidly (Freezies)
Makoto: Either Black or Grey Lucina, Black Wolf
Futaba: Inkling, Grey R.O.B.
Haru: Pink Daisy, Jeanne!Bayonetta
Akechi: White Marth, Pit
True Akechi: Black Marth, Black Greninja

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm making my way through Persona 5 (with a let's play, I can't afford a ps4 and the game) and can I just say that Kamoshida is a grade A ****ing scumbag.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
inb4 they decide to have fun with it and makoto is wario

D

Deleted member

What about handheld gameplay? Does that suffer input lag on this game?
I can't answer that personally but it really shouldn't. Between the Switch likely not having to deal with visual lag and the Joycons being plugged in, it should work about the same as a 3DS.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Akechi’s spirit should also have White Marth holding a beam sword.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I’ve tried nearly all the characters now, I’m trying to main Wii Fit Trainer or Samus as I like how they play and they’re not that Popular picks. I’m still not that good though lol
My brother's always had Samus as a secondary because he likes how she plays, but he never mained her because she's never been good. But he really likes her in this game.

Samus may get more popular if his reaction is any indication.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm making my way through Persona 5 (with a let's play, I can't afford a ps4 and the game) and can I just say that Kamoshida is a grade A ****ing scumbag.
Oh don't worry!

IT GETS WORSE.

Both in Kamoshida's scumminess and the calibur of scummy people you eventually see.

Haru best girl yes or no? (there's a right answer)
I didn't know you had good taste like this Luigi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom