• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I wish I had your optimism here.
Maybe I’m wrong but it just feels like a cycle with Nintendo. Release online game, has **** online, they learn something, implement what they learn for that game, better online.

And repeat for every game with online.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wanted the monsters in Dracula’s Castle as hazards.

But the stage ended up being a hazardless one...
That's a good thing imo. Hazards often ruin the fun.

I'm happy with Dracula's Castle as it is.

D

Deleted member

Maybe I’m wrong but it just feels like a cycle with Nintendo. Release online game, has **** online, they learn something, implement what they learn for that game, better online.

And repeat for every game with online.
It could happen, but based on other things Nintendo has done it seems like they don’t like changing the online at its core. The online for this game is pretty fundamentally bad. Although maybe they could implement some sort of option to decide how close you want your opponent’s rules to be to yours. Though at this point, despite how not great they were, id just take For Glory and For Fun back.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It could happen, but based on other things Nintendo has done it seems like they don’t like changing the online at its core. The online for this game is pretty fundamentally bad. Although maybe they could implement some sort of option to decide how close you want your opponent’s rules to be to yours. Though at this point, despite how not great they were, id just take For Glory and For Fun back.
What's bad about it? Looked fine in the direct.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Who did you main the most?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
For Glory and For Fun would be amazing. They’ll have to change it though if they want it to continue to succeed. Good online is vital to games like Smash for longevity

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Because of the incessant need people had for her to be playable just because she was popular despite the fact being an Assist was literally perfect for her character because it is who she is.
All the arrogance about how much of a "lock" she was and how anyone with opposing viewpoints were ridiculed on top of all the really...really questionable hypotheticals in regards to her moveset bred out of desperation to show how much "unique potential" she had didn't help matters for me.

Only reason I begrudgingly accepted Isabelle was because Incineroar was supposed to come later.
But she is a literal ***** to fight against due to the very half-***** tools given to make her "different" from Villager, so now I'm legitimately wishing she stayed an Assist...
To be fair, a lot of characters in Smash you could say an unplayable role fits them, or that they don't belong on the battlefield. Peach always gets kidnapped, now we have Piranha Plant too (who is generic). Ice Climbers are two kids in parkas, and Villager is just some kid with his toys LOL (and R.O.B. is an actual toy!)

While none of them have Isabelle's pacifist nature (save for Peach maybe), a character's personality shouldn't prevent them from being playable. Isabelle is a rising star in her series, she's popular, and she's fun to see fight. If Isabelle is blocked from fighting just because "it's not who she is!" then that just limits the creativity of picks.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I thought Smash 4's online was fine, aside from the lag.
Same here.
So now I'm wondering why they changed it, especially to a matchmaking system that constantly gives you rulesets that you don't want to play with.
And on top of that, you have to pay for this online, unlike Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

**** legal stages.
They ruin the fun even when the competitive scen has battlefield and final destination mode.

They ruined Dracula’s Castle by making it hazardless.

D

Deleted member

What's bad about it? Looked fine in the direct.
Unreliable is the best way to describe it. You are not going to get your preferred rules in quick play. Want 1v1? Too bad, free for all. You can try battle arenas, but then that’s just more finicky and is just a sign that the online is broken to the point where you have to switch to this. There are other problems too, like how character selection works.

D

Deleted member

Just play offline or with switch friends if the online mode sucks so much.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
**** legal stages.
They ruin the fun even when the competitive scen has battlefield and final destination mode.

Well don’t play Dracula’s Castle then lol. It is what is. Sakurai probably didn’t put them because many people dislike hazards

D

Deleted member

Disregarding the online talk for a moment, it’s still pretty crazy to me that John Persona5 himself is in smash now. I’m still taking that fact in.
Wait I said that I left didn’t I? ****.
Uh, you didn’t see these posts.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Disregarding the online talk for a moment, it’s still pretty crazy to me that John Persona5 himself is in smash now. I’m still taking that fact in.
Wait I said that I left didn’t I? ****.
Uh, you didn’t see these posts.
To be honest I could care less about him. Never played a Persona game in my life.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
**** legal stages.

I'd prefer to fight on stages with varied layouts, but I don't want to fight the stage itself to do so.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just play offline or with switch friends if the online mode sucks so much.
What ****ty reasoning.

Have you considered that the reason why we play online is because we aren't able to have friends over whenever we want?
Do you not think that if we had friends with us right now, we would be playing with them instead of being forced to use this ****ty online?
Honestly never understood why people dislike hazards.
Because some people like to play matches where the players' skill is the primary determinant of victory rather than someone getting lucky or unlucky.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be fair, a lot of characters in Smash you could say an unplayable role fits them, or that they don't belong on the battlefield. Peach always gets kidnapped, now we have Piranha Plant too (who is generic). Ice Climbers are two kids in parkas, and Villager is just some kid with his toys LOL (and R.O.B. is an actual toy!)

While none of them have Isabelle's pacifist nature (save for Peach maybe), a character's personality shouldn't prevent them from being playable. Isabelle is a rising star in her series, she's popular, and she's fun to see fight. If Isabelle is blocked from fighting just because "it's not who she is!" then that just limits the creativity of picks.
Dude. I was only asked why I was anti-Isabelle and I answered.

I don't need some debate on the way I feel and how I'm wrong. That's why I became so anti-Isabelle in the first place.

D

Deleted member

What ****ty reasoning.

Have you considered that the reason why we play online is because we aren't able to have friends over whenever we want?
Do you not think that if we had friends with us right now, we would be playing with them instead of being forced to use this ****ty online?
Switch friend codes.

Use them.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm watching a Jacksonville tourney where the Wall is competing... :yoshi:
Oh, I haven't heard of him playing in a long while. For U.S. Yoshi mains, I wonder what Raptor will do in Ultimate. Have a link?

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Dude. I was only asked why I was anti-Isabelle and I answered.

I don't need some debate on the way I feel and how I'm wrong. That's why I became so anti-Isabelle in the first place.
With all due respect, he didn't say anything rude. Just his point of view on the matter. Just like how you stated yours.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
**** legal stages.

How the heck did they ruin it?
If hazards were an issue we wouldn't have gotten Great Plateau or New Donk City with stage gaps in the same game.

Sakurai made a decision to only have them cameo. It has nothing to do with stage legality, especially since Dracula's Castle isn't even a viable stage due to its shape and size.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom