• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
ahem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat_vs._DC_Universe

i think they can tone down the MK characters for smash

Besides bayonetta kills that argument she goes full on naked when she used her hair attacks they toned that down to only her arms and legs get ecposed
MKvsDCU is pretty hated in the MK fanbase for the express purpose that it watered down Mortal Kombat. A better argument would be Injustice, but even those games weren't afraid of tackling the K word. They had ample room to be brutal and imply more violence than could be shown. Therein lies the problem.

I say this as someone who poured hundreds of hours into MK:T; a lot of the iconic setpieces would need to be stripped and sanitized.

There would be concessions out the wazoo to the point where I doubt you could represent the MK universe well without the gore. Hanging skeletons, bloody spikes, writhing flesh horrors, meat grinders... The world of Mortal Kombat is incessantly brutal. Desolate violence oozes out of every pore of the environment. The only visually unique stages I could see happening with little modification would be the Evil Tower, MK1 Arena, Soul Chamber, and Subway, the last of which would hardly represent Scorpion. I dunno, maybe the early versions of the Living Forest minus the hanged corpses? The Pit with no spikes?

Again, you COULD clean it up. Scorpion would have a heck of a unique moveset too even without blood. But it would be a heck of an anemic MK experience. You'd be able to tell how hesitant they are to touch anything that could bump up the rating, which in Outworld is literally anything.

Would I love to see one of my most favorite video game franchises ever made represented in Smash? With every fiber of my being. Would Nintendo walk that tightrope? That's what I doubt.

Then again I would love to be proven wrong.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai needs to make sure there are guidances for DLC characters. I need to hear them acknowledge that Twitter meme for Joker in his, by having Pit thinking he's either Bayonetta and being scared or thinking Joker is her son.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hey, I didn't know Luigi The President Luigi The President was in here!

Have you been able to try Smash yet? Also, what are your thoughts on Joker?
Yeah bud I just got back!

I am playing it as we speak. Here's my Joker thoughts, copypasted;

"COUNT ME IN AS PART OF THE JOKER GANG

WOW I know I debated TPC about this guy way back in the day, I thought Yu would be in over him or Jack Frost.

Here's a secret. I love Persona; amazing game series, I have a soft spot for it due to growing up alongside it. Never PLAYED it frequently, but I know and have watched a ****-ton about it. I mained Adachi in Arena Ultimax.

Persona 5 is a good game. I want to play it soon. And Joker? He's pretty, he's got a wicked design, and he's a good character.
The moveset potential? Limitless. Wow, his moveset is amazing. Honestly, if he summons Jack Frost...I'll be so happy.

So wow. Lemme recap.
-Blows our DLC expectations the **** OUT. NINTENDO IS LISTENING, PEOPLE. All y'all who said "no it's all gonna be promo picks" well guess what? Joker just stole that concept away from us. He's a niche fan want, but we thought it'd never happen. /I/ thought it wouldn't, I rode AGAINST the dude. BUT HE DID.
-Persona is now in Smash. Another game series I'm fond of in the greatest gaming crossover ever.
-The moveset potential...I'm so excited. I want Jack!!!
-Joker will look AMAZING in the Ultimate style.
-Made one of my IRL best friends SO hype, and I know my friend tehponycorn was hyped as well. Made a lot of my pals happy.
-The music of Persona will be in, an amazing stage, maybe a Palace. AND A HARU SPIRIT MAYHAPS?

Wow...what an amazing pick. Really happy about this."

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And you are lying.

I’ve been told many times stuff like:

“He’s unlikely”
“He got a new game too late”
“Activision shouldn’t be in Smash”
“I prefer Spyro”

And some more.
Replying again because you edited it;

I've been told just as many things about Geno and numerous people still expect him, so, think about what that means for Crash.

Yes i am.
Which you really shouldn't be.

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
My Prediction Roster:
Ultimate Roster 10.png

A Sony and a Microsoft character, a Square Enix character, a mobile game character and of course, a Fire Emblem character from Three Houses.

D

Deleted member

Right, a character who caught everyone off guard and was considered impossible before his announcement.

Nevertheless, I actually thought of the example of Cloud, and put in specific words to show that this is not the same scenario.

Cloud represents Final Fantasy, a series with a long and important history on Nintendo. It just happens that the face of the franchise is from a PS1 game.

And you’re not going to tell me that Joker, no matter how cool he is, is as iconic and important as Cloud ****ing Strife.

The DLC last game wasn’t decided by corporate Nintendo (even Corrin, the promotional character, wasn’t), and we already had Ryu as the sole newcomer at the time, showing they wouldn’t be restricting themselves to first parties.

None of even matters really. Everyone was here two days ago. Everyone that frequented this thread knows that Joker was almost NEVER brought up, even outside the Vergeben and “Nintendo will only pick promos” discussions.
This all pedantic fan-rules that hold literally no credit. Did anyone really think Persona was a bigger impossibility than Cloud?
Literally all those posts are yours.
If he was so easy to predict, why is it everyone (but you apparently) "never saw it coming"?

Honestly, after reading your posts on the matter, you're coming off as "it was obvious to me, so it should have been obvious to everyone else".

EDIT: Fixed to be more accurate to the meme.
Considering I was replying to a post accusing me of being a revisionist, of course I would use my own posts. And the whole point is that it wasn't impossible for some random 4chan poster to get it right(I mean, we all remember the Richter leaks, right?)
This is like people saying Isabelle was unpredicatble all over again
I don't see how The Moon being an Assist Trophy helps your case.
1) I knew I should have specified day
2) You should run if you're seeing a moon with a face, Opo.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
At first I was indifferent to Isabelle but she’s actually really fun. That fishing rod and lloid rocket is a powerful tool and I was trolling some classmates with her.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know it's an old trope but does anyone here know what a phantom thief?

I'm expecting a 1000 word essay tomorrow. Night
It all goes back to Arsene Lupin (pronounced Loopah), the fictional thief written by a french guy. A more modern re-imagining of Robin Hood, an incredibly stylish thief who steals from the rich. They're filled with flair and send calling cards to go "Hey, we're going to rob you. Have fun!" yet they still don't get caught. Japan in particular really loves this trope, although I wouldn't be surprised if Persona 5 did help that for more recent times. There's also Lupin the Third, a long lasting manga series from I believe the 60's. A phantom thief is honourable and often likes to play by the rules despite having tricks up their sleeves

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
SmashChu is wrong #123........ It must get tiring being wrong all the time.
Everyone who talks about Smash ends up being wrong. That's the nature of the beast. I don't throw shade at others people for that reason. Stones in glass houses and all of that. The cancer of the Smash community are the people who do point that out as they hold these <content redacted> :chrono:grudges for what is just a video game. It ruins the fun about just talking about Smash Bros.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The moment I see a ****ing Spirit for Ann in her Panther outfit when Joker comes out, I don't know what I'm gonna feel.

Probably beyond what expanding can be capable of, that's for sure.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Maybe Ryu Hayabusa does have a chance. At least he can translate well, but I do think Terry Bogard has a pretty okay chance too now.

Seems I'm split on DLC so far.
Terry Bogard would be cool. Well a lot of fighting game characters would work. But Terry's moveset is one of the easier ones to imagine, Power Wave, Burn Knuckle, Crack Shoot, Rising Tackle are a perfect set of moves for his specials.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Everyone who talks about Smash ends up being wrong. That's the nature of the beast. I don't throw shade at others people for that reason. Stones in glass houses and all of that. The cancer of the Smash community are the people who do point that out as they hold these <content redacted> :chrono: grudges for what is just a video game. It ruins the fun about just talking about Smash Bros.
Pause button did you just use gay as a serious, unironic insult?

D

Deleted member

Everyone who talks about Smash ends up being wrong. That's the nature of the beast. I don't throw shade at others people for that reason. Stones in glass houses and all of that. The cancer of the Smash community are the people who do point that out as they hold these <content redacted> :chrono: grudges for what is just a video game. It ruins the fun about just talking about Smash Bros.
>Using gay as an insult

I bet Pit will think Joker was still possessed by a spirit because his eyes are red.
No, he won’t know anything because Palutena won’t have information on him, like in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Yeah bud I just got back!

I am playing it as we speak. Here's my Joker thoughts, copypasted;

"COUNT ME IN AS PART OF THE JOKER GANG

WOW I know I debated TPC about this guy way back in the day, I thought Yu would be in over him or Jack Frost.

Here's a secret. I love Persona; amazing game series, I have a soft spot for it due to growing up alongside it. Never PLAYED it frequently, but I know and have watched a ****-ton about it. I mained Adachi in Arena Ultimax.

Persona 5 is a good game. I want to play it soon. And Joker? He's pretty, he's got a wicked design, and he's a good character.
The moveset potential? Limitless. Wow, his moveset is amazing. Honestly, if he summons Jack Frost...I'll be so happy.

So wow. Lemme recap.
-Blows our DLC expectations the **** OUT. NINTENDO IS LISTENING, PEOPLE. All y'all who said "no it's all gonna be promo picks" well guess what? Joker just stole that concept away from us. He's a niche fan want, but we thought it'd never happen. /I/ thought it wouldn't, I rode AGAINST the dude. BUT HE DID.
-Persona is now in Smash. Another game series I'm fond of in the greatest gaming crossover ever.
-The moveset potential...I'm so excited. I want Jack!!!
-Joker will look AMAZING in the Ultimate style.
-Made one of my IRL best friends SO hype, and I know my friend tehponycorn was hyped as well. Made a lot of my pals happy.
-The music of Persona will be in, an amazing stage, maybe a Palace. AND A HARU SPIRIT MAYHAPS?

Wow...what an amazing pick. Really happy about this."

Awesome! I'm so, so happy Joker's in, ha ha. My reaction can pretty much be summed up as fanboy screaming, lol. I'm so hyped for Joker! For sure gonna be my main right with Inkling. :)

If you're trying to unlock characters, Classic is the way to go. Fast, fun, and is also optimal if you're like me and planned on doing Classic with everyone anyways. Plus, THE BOSS FIGHTS ARE SO GOOD MY WORD.

Haven't tried WoL yet. Gonna sneak some of that in this evening, along with some Online. Heard some bad stuff about Online, but I'd like to form my own opinion.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Awesome! I'm so, so happy Joker's in, ha ha. My reaction can pretty much be summed up as fanboy screaming, lol. I'm so hyped for Joker! For sure gonna be my main right with Inkling. :)

If you're trying to unlock characters, Classic is the way to go. Fast, fun, and is also optimal if you're like me and planned on doing Classic with everyone anyways. Plus, THE BOSS FIGHTS ARE SO GOOD MY WORD.

Haven't tried WoL yet. Gonna sneak some of that in this evening, along with some Online. Heard some bad stuff about Online, but I'd like to form my own opinion.
Lol Mr, already got them all.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh, nevermind then, lol.

I'm sloooooow with my unlocks. :p

What are your thoughts on the newcomers? Simon really surprised me with how much I like him.
Simon: GLORIOUS he's so fun
K. Rool: Amazing!!!
Ridley: yet to try
Isabelle: very technical...a bit confusing don't know if I'm a fan
Inklings: Same with Isabelle
Incineroar: My favorite!!!

And then people prefer to get on the Fantastic Four fan.
Uh...how is someone talking to you about something entirely different related to this at all??? You're kinda shoving yourself in here.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton, duuuhhh
My sister works for Level-5
Joking aside, after Joker's reveal and Atlus getting a character. As well as Reggies comments in regards to this DLC period. I'm starting to feel a bit more optimistic for Layton's chances, or at least the chances of us getting at least someone from Level-5. Probably Jibanyan, but hey, at least it would be a first step if it happens.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This all pedantic fan-rules that hold literally no credit. Did anyone really think Persona was a bigger impossibility than Cloud?

Considering I was replying to a post accusing me of being a revisionist, of course I would use my own posts. And the whole point is that it wasn't impossible for some random 4chan poster to get it right(I mean, we all remember the Richter leaks, right?)
This is like people saying Isabelle was unpredicatble all over again

1) I knew I should have specified day
2) You should run if you're seeing a moon with a face, Opo.
Shish I love ya, but Joker and Isabelle were definitely not on the same level.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
I have all of them except Dr. Mario who keeps kicking my ***.
The first time I fought against him he opened up by using his d-air on me twice in a row knocking me off the platform, and by the time I tried to get back on, the stage was already taking off and I was too low to try and recover. Match was over and I never even had a chance to touch him.

And he one of the least problematic characters I had to deal with over all of them...

D

Deleted member

Don't let the fact that Joker from Persona 5 joining Smash Ultimate distract you from LeBron James joining the Lakers.

Anything is possible.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I'm so damn happy that Incineroar is way better than what the pre-game tierlists were saying. His recovery isn't that bad unless you're below the stage and his speed isn't too bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom