• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, what’s everyone’s thoughts on Ultimate?
Honestly, character unlocks are fast and fun, it feels like your constantly getting new characters, and I love spirits as well. The graphics are amazing too! Honestly, I don’t regret a single penny.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, character unlocks are fast and fun, it feels like your constantly getting new characters, and I love spirits as well. The graphics are amazing too! Honestly, I don’t regret a single penny.
Maybe it is harder to decide a stage for a match due to the amount of them.

Besides that, i am liking the game a lot.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Just shows that perspectives differ depending on which circle a gamer is in. Fighting, Shooting, RPGs, JRPGS.. etc.
But sure, when you hear about a game not in your circle it means it expanded enough to be noticed.. case of Persona to me
This.

It’s funny when most arguments for a character’s viability boil down to “They’d just be a Marth clone!” “Are you stupid? You don’t know the game!” It’s almost like all of us have different tastes and like different things.

Gotta say, I know literally zero about Persona. But I’m not big on JRPGs (I play the western first-party RPGs), I’m not really a fan of the anime aesthetic in too heavy doses, and I’m not an Xbox fanboy but I’ve never had a Playstation.

Because of this, I am a big nervous where the DLC will go though considering what I like - if we’re still going with a Squeenix character and Lloyd or someone from Tales as good possibilities, I’ll probably pass.

We’ll see...

D

Deleted member

I remember when Cloud got revealed in Smash 4 and some people were claiming that he was an Ike clone.

Untouch

Smash Master
tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280[1].jpg

Okay maybe it's the delirium caused by not being able to play the game (for many reasons, the big one is Amazon), but I realized something.
Assuming Square Enix indeed has a DLC rep, that's 2 companies. Sega/Atlus and Square Enix.

Both of these companies had something to show for the first Switch conference (SMTV and Octopath Traveller) and both had announced other games before this (Sonic Forces/Mania and DQ11).

The other companies that had announced something before or during the event are.
  • Konami (Bomberman)
  • Bethesda (Skyrim)
  • Marvelous (No More Heroes)
  • EA (Fifa)
  • Activision (Skylanders)
  • Square Enix and Sega were both at the event as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 182209

Okay maybe it's the delirium caused by not being able to play the game (for many reasons, the big one is Amazon), but I realized something.
Assuming Square Enix indeed has a DLC rep, that's 2 companies. Sega/Atlus and Square Enix.

Both of these companies had something to show for the first Switch conference (SMTV and Octopath Traveller) and both had announced other games before this (Sonic Forces/Mania and DQ11).

The other companies that had announced something before or during the event are.
  • Konami (Bomberman)
  • Bethesda (Skyrim)
  • Marvelous (No More Heroes)
  • EA (Fifa)
  • Square Enix and Sega were both at the event as well.
Activision (Crash Bandicoot) also announced there Skylanders Imaginators.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
My Music desperately needs a “Set All to 0” button.

I played 4.5 hours last night and only got most of the songs set. That could probably have been set up better.

I did just pull Link into Training on Great Plateau for a few mintues though and my jaw dropped. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and I cant wait to get home tonight and finish the music so I can actually get to the game.

D

Deleted member

I really like unlock methods in this game. Makes clearing all of the modes feel very rewarding IMO.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Day 2: niente.

Anyway, Smash has really done a better job at "PlayStation All-Stars" than the actual PlayStation All-Stars. Joker, Snake, Cloud and Bayonetta among the best, although timing would have meant a lot.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I do think it was part of the reason but I wont doubt it it probably happend because Sakurai said so.
Thank got he said so
I said it is, but not a main factor.
Oh I know you're not the only one pleased. My friend been posting all about it :)
(I had to edit this, not sure why a few lines didn't make the final cut)

osby osby & Shroob Shroob what I said to Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo in my last comment

Last edited:

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Its funny to watch comments on people salty on joker inclusion in smash saying he is too niche and a waste of a Chracther slot because they didn't get there favorite Chracther.We have Joker from Persona 5 in smash do you know how godly that is if you told someone 2 months ago that joker was gonna be in smash ulitmate as dlc they would laugh at you.

D

Deleted member

I tried to make an accurate Isaac.

A086B645-40C9-48CA-B8F2-EFBCC1CFA36D.jpeg

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Im still Shaking from the fact that joker in Smash this might be the hypest smash newcomer for me ever unless Gunvolt gets in

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Boy i sure do love when chracther from a jrpg or any anime like game comes into smash playable people always say No body wants this Weeb trash where is Waluigi Reeeeeeeeeee

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
This.

It’s funny when most arguments for a character’s viability boil down to “They’d just be a Marth clone!” “Are you stupid? You don’t know the game!” It’s almost like all of us have different tastes and like different things.

Gotta say, I know literally zero about Persona. But I’m not big on JRPGs (I play the western first-party RPGs), I’m not really a fan of the anime aesthetic in too heavy doses, and I’m not an Xbox fanboy but I’ve never had a Playstation.

Because of this, I am a big nervous where the DLC will go though considering what I like - if we’re still going with a Squeenix character and Lloyd or someone from Tales as good possibilities, I’ll probably pass.

We’ll see...
Thank you.
Oh you should really discuss your thoughts with A.G.L. A.G.L. , I think you'll find many similarities in your line of thoughts.
I'll say however, I'm one more inclined to anime like entries. Not that I like it but I know how you feel, it's basically PC and Xbox that serves your taste. So I don't see a reason for you to own a Playstation, it's mostly focused on JRPGs, anime.. well Japanese stuff.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Also how was your past 2 days so far i have been playing smash ulitmate and disgaea 5 on switch and Joker is in smash so overall this is a amazing week for me

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I said it is, but not a main factor.
Oh I know you're not the only one pleased. My friend been posting all about it :)
(I had to edit this, not sure why a few lines didn't make the final cut)

osby osby & Shroob Shroob what I said to Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo in my last comment
I respect how respectful you are being, buddy. This turned into a pretty fun convo:053:

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I really like unlock methods in this game. Makes clearing all of the modes feel very rewarding IMO.
I wish everyone could be excited about this like you.

"Everything isn't unlocked from the beginning so the game is bad! It's so embarrassing for Nintendo to make me unlock all of the fighters! They even expect me to play through Spirits before challenging the final boss!! How stupid is that!?"

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So......is Joker being hated now?
The only people that seem to hate him are either the Nintendo purists, or the people who think he's too niche and stole a slot from more deserving characters
You forgot about people who hate anything anime.
Oh yeah... them too

Other than those people, I've been seeing a lot of positive reactions when it comes to Joker

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's absolutely fantastic, the overall gameplay changes are an enormous improvement, especially the change to airdodges, it's the first time since Melee where it feels like they're in a good spot. A lot of characters also feel a lot tighter, just small adjustments that help make them feel less disjointed (this is especially the case for many of the Smash 4 newcomers), and I also like how they've seriously toned down throw and tilt-spam combos in favor of having to work more and know your character better in order to get solid damage in. As an aside, I'm really grateful that Ridley feels so right to play as, I'm not going to claim he's a fantastic competitive character, but he's already the one I'm most comfortable with, and him being enjoyable to play as was always the biggest priority for me.

The new modes are also a blast, Squad Strike has already brought a lot of fun between my brothers and I, as has the return of Tourney, these are modes I feel like I'll be able to enjoy for the game's entire lifespan, unlike the Smash 4 ones which were neat enough once or twice at best. I've also liked what I've played of World of Light a lot, in terms of gameplay it's so much more interesting than SSE imo, and I've come to enjoy the whole Spirits concept a lot more than I thought I would, their initial presentation of it was actually really poor as it didn't bring the appeal of the mode across properly. Coming across Spirits that I love in their own games is a lot of fun, I had a bit of arms in the air moment when I found Dungeon Man from Earthbound lol.

The only disappointment for me so far is Online, which has somehow taken a huge step back from Smash 4, which was already mediocre to begin with. I've never seen a Quickplay mode be as big a mess as it is in Ultimate, I've only gotten in with my preferred rules 1/6 times and had to give up after that (and my rules were pretty standard too, just a regular 1v1 3 stock Battefield setup), practically the only way to play this game Online is to make your own Battle Arena. It's so frustrating how Nintendo just don't get how Online should work, when my one week's trial period is over I'm not going to bother actually subscribing to it until they sort Ultimate's Online out.

Smash will always be a local fighting game primarily for me though, I have my brothers who enjoy playing as much as I do, so luckily that's not a dealbreaker for me, it's just a shame. Of course we're still early days, I expect more issues will pop up over time, but as of right now I'm having an absolute blast with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom