• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Maybe. Maybe Sakurai shared brief suggestions when Nintendo was in the process of creating the list, sort of a group project in a sense.

I mean, the possibility of Nintendo's staff deciding on adding Joker to the list prior to Sakurai is there I guess, but I do not think Nintendo would come up with the idea. Without Sakurai to consult on developing the list, they would probably be sticking to primarily Nintendo newcomers for DLC choices And sure, Nintendo probably know that guest fighters would sell as DLC, but I don't think they would reach to the niche extent of choosing a Persona character. The idea that Nintendo chose Joker does not line up with me.
I’d go by what Sakurai has publicly said to be true instead of just making pretty baseless assumptions about people I’ve never met.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai makes a regular habit of going back on his word, especially when it comes to setting expectations for new characters.

Truly, the biggest flaw anyone makes in leak arguments is fan rules. Sakurai sets trends almost explicitly so he can break them - it's how he keeps surprising us. In other words, Goku's chances aren't zero - they're inevitable.
I guess next Smash is a dating sim because Sakurai always goes back on his word.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai makes a regular habit of going back on his word, especially when it comes to setting expectations for new characters.

Truly, the biggest flaw anyone makes in leak arguments is fan rules. Sakurai sets trends almost explicitly so he can break them - it's how he keeps surprising us. In other words, Goku's chances aren't zero - they're inevitable.
I... what the ****

What rule did Sakurai ever set and then break? He did say that a couple specific characters wouldn't be in but then put them in, but there has NEVER been a single series-wide rule he's EVER set besides "non video game characters won't be in". Goku is far from inevitable lmfao

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Man, this game sure is much more fast paced than Smash 4. I had to tone down the CPU level down to six or I’ll just get bodied and I used to take on level 8s with ease in the previous game. Welp, gotta practice and git gud.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
So, when i register my game card, do I get the Piranha Plant Code now? Or when he's released?
No it's gonna be around February. Oh wait, I read your question wrong. I'm not sure when we get the code

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
At this point I would not listen to information Vergeben has released regarding Square. He said for sure our first DLC character was going to be a Square Rep. It’s clear at this point that the information he got a hold of was Square bait. I have to admit as I analyzed it more and more the pieces did not fit. Square very rarely let’s anything slip, and it’s odd we knew the seven contenders for a Square Rep, yet no leaks whatsoever regarding KH3. Which would come out before the DLC character and would be easier to leak. If I’m not mistaken no one knew Cloud was coming either in Smash Wii U that’s why his reveal was such a surprise. So this fits that almost no one will know the real details regarding a Square Rep unless they are really high up the ladder. Also we had no Japanese leakers or Japanese insiders. Which is odd, considering it would be easier for them to leak information given their family members might be working on the game.

I still think logically we will get another Square and Bandai Namco Rep. As that way all of the older 3rd parties each have two. And given Square’s love of cross promotion I do not see them turning away from this despite their stinginess. We have to keep in mind all insiders and leakers up to this point were wrong. So it’s a DLC that’s really up for free grabs. As Nintendo shocked everyone by choosing a game character that’s not even on a Nintendo console. And that was Nintendo’s pick this speaks huge volumes of what they will do later on.

I’m not familiar with the character, but I was so shocked at his inclusion he won me over from pure shock alone. I knew there was going to be a DLC reveal it made way too much sense marketing wise, to increase DLC sales. Also if you combined all the tweets surrounding the VGA’s and Smash it’s clear they formed a pattern and really increased DLC chances. The whole thing of his reveal though I’m just so shocked all insiders and leakers were shot down in one reveal.
Well.. some said he didn't have any info beyond the base roster. He seemed so sure of it though. Maybe they switched DLCs announcements in purpose. But yeah all shot in one reveal. Oh boy, this is going to be one looooong year, unless they reveal the rest soon, I'm still not considering until so.

How do you know none of them were Japanese? Besides, they better not be, because they'll be easier to track down. Also, it's unlikely, Japanese don't take their jobs lightly. A leak is similar to an act of treason. It's an end of a life way not a career.

So Reggie says New To The Series and Not Anticipated. That to me seems like a big no Geno and no Sephiroth. What do you think?

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Yeah, it can be interpreted in different ways. "New to the series", to me, means characters who are new to the Smash Bros series. I think it can still be characters from existing series like Metroid, FE, etc, but it would just be characters who have never been in Smash before
This reiterates the facts presented during the direct - that all DLC will be non-echo characters.
(Everyone has to be new to the series, since this game has all past newcomers. Unless he meant 'in any form,' which rules out assist trophies and the like... so, no Rayman because he had that trophy in Sm4sh)

I don't actually put a whole lot of merit to what Reggie said. I think he was trying to reiterate the Direct, not throw more details into the pot.

Alchadylan

Smash Cadet
I... what the ****

What rule did Sakurai ever set and then break? He did say that a couple specific characters wouldn't be in but then put them in, but there has NEVER been a single series-wide rule he's EVER set besides "non video game characters won't be in". Goku is far from inevitable lmfao
Only one I can think of is Ridley

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
This reiterates the facts presented during the direct - that all DLC will be non-echo characters.
(Everyone has to be new to the series, since this game has all past newcomers. Unless he meant 'in any form,' which rules out assist trophies and the like... so, no Rayman because he had that trophy in Sm4sh)

I don't actually put a whole lot of merit to what Reggie said. I think he was trying to reiterate the Direct, not throw more details into the pot.
Yeah I think he was just reiterating what Sakurai said as well

Zeox

Smash Champion
You think now DLC Characters will be from less know games? since they used Joker as first announcement in such a big event...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Only one I can think of is Ridley
He never said it's impossible, only that it would be really hard and he'd need to put his best efforts into it.

Yeah, I doubt he's trying to give clues for speculation community.

To me?

Darn...
I think anymore would be spam at this point but A+++ conversation

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Basically. Joker headshots the belief that DLC characters were mostly/entirely chosen alongside the base roster and reinforces the belief that Nintendo's going to go for recent, popular characters.
I see, so this is why people are still sticking to Edelgard and a Gen 8 pokemon for predictions today. I don't believe they will happen personally.

I’d go by what Sakurai has publicly said to be true instead of just making pretty baseless assumptions about people I’ve never met.
I mean, I do not think it is baseless. We should not be sticking entirely to Sakurai's words in one specific possible context and consider the possible scenarios that led to Joker in Smash. I believe Nintendo was not the one responsible of Joker, but I will hold on to the possibility that other Nintendo members who are fans of Persona suggested it first before Sakurai, as unlikely as I think the possibility is. I am considering a ton of factors, and that one possibility of Nintendo deciding Joker before Sakurai is in the bottom of totem pole.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! Well, now that Ultimate is out, I made this video to celebrate Ultimate's release today, as well as Smash as a whole. Enjoy!

(I initially intended it to go up yesterday but I didn't finish, though I'm kind of glad since I got to use some Joker clips)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You think now DLC Characters will be from less know games? since they used Joker as first announcement in such a big event...
By October 2018, the series had sold over 9.3 million copies worldwide.

D

Deleted member

>Less known games
>Persona 5
'Scuse me I'm pretty sure people generally agree that P5 is one of the best RPGs you can get your hands on. It was nominated for GotY last year.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Joker is the premier JRPG of the generation.

While JRPGs are Niche, Persona is the most massive of that niche genre.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
By October 2018, the series had sold over 9.3 million copies worldwide.
And Pepsi sold a **** ton of pepsis, but I hope Pepsiman doesn't get to the roster.
But no, I wasn't saying that Persona doesn't sells, what I am saying is, since Joker was the first announcement, and they use him for the game awards, that means that from here on the next DLCs characters will go down and be less know and from less selling franchises... unless of course they have another big one ready for E3 of next year, of course.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
And Pepsi sold a **** ton of pepsis, but I hope Pepsiman doesn't get to the roster.
But no, I wasn't saying that Persona doesn't sells, what I am saying is, since Joker was the first announcement, and they use him for the game awards, that means that from here on the next DLCs characters will go down and be less know and from less selling franchises... unless of course they have another big one ready for E3 of next year, of course.
I'm guessing the Square character will be the one shown at E3.

Zeox

Smash Champion
>Less known games
>Persona 5
'Scuse me I'm pretty sure people generally agree that P5 is one of the best RPGs you can get your hands on. It was nominated for GotY last year.
from less know games that Persona 5! not that Persona 5 is a less know game! Look, my english sucks so please try to understand me!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Woke up, glad to see last night wasn't some really bad fever dream.

I wonder, does Vergeben and everyone else have a response to the recent events?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wouldn't be surprised, most of the gaming titans are already in the game and it still seems doubtful we'll ever get characters from western IPs as playable fighters.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah they probably wanted the VGAs character to be a big, heavy hitter. I agree that the next couple of characters may not be as "big" or "hype" as Joker

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I guess next Smash is a dating sim because Sakurai always goes back on his word.
Oh boy can't wait for Super Crush Bros.

I... what the ****

...Right, I forgot I need to put up bright, flashing disclaimer tags when I'm being sarcastic XD

I don't actually think he's likely, nor do I want him, but if there were a guy who was going to break the "no non-video game characters" rule, it would probably be Goku. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom