• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
View attachment 182115HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
If you ask me, those hints led to the spirit reveal and Mii costumes and nothing more.

That's assuming that the reason why Rex is not in Smash is because of timing. If that was not the reason why he's not included, like "he wouldn't be popular enough" or "we're focusing on third parties" then that concept changes.
This is just a guess but I think Nintendo really just wanted to focus on characters outside of the company for DLC. Which would be weird for Nintendo.
Could you clarify more on the bolded statement, I don't quite understand.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Is that screenshot from P5 is real ?
Yep, saw it my own eyes in my playthrough.

I personally believe Nintendo decided the list, then Sakurai chose the characters in a process of elimination, based on the wording of Sakurai's tweets on DLC back in early November.

I think Sakurai knows best who would make for a solid, surprising newcomer choice more than Nintendo's staff, given his immense knowledge and love on video games in general.
It's not like there aren't any developers like that in Nintendo after Sakurai left.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The mods keep locking any threads related to the Joker as “Leaks” and there are no mentions of him on the SSBU website. Is it another leak that got popularized or has Nintendo actually confirmed him? I don’t know what’s going on with all that.
Oh, it's definitely been confirmed by Nintendo

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Marth & Roy are a different beast altogether, they are in the base game that was going to sell regardless, the series is big in Japan, and they were originally going to be Japan Exclusive until they proved popular with Playtesters/Nintendo of America or something along those lines.

Corrin is from Fire Emblem, which was, and is, doing gangbusters WorldWide. A new character, yes, but not unknown since many people already saw the base design artwork for Fire Emblem Fates as well as all of the pre-promotion, trailers, etc for the game, which was already released in Japan.

For Bayonetta, she's also not a virtual unknown amongst gamers, even I knew who she was before actually playing any of her games. Heck, she was even expected by a lot of people to be in the base roster for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U due to Nintendo's involvement in Bayonetta 2.

Yes, Corrin & Bayonetta were for marketing purposes as well, but they weren't virtual unknowns or dead franchises in one part of the world by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, as a cultural thing, Japan tends to care more about Japan, so Nintendo & Sakurai are more likely to pick characters that are popular worldwide and are of Japanese origin..not to mention Sakurai likes to plan and discuss how a character will work with the team or person behind that character, so there's that too..language barriers are a big hurdle.

I'm simply saying that they won't likely pick a series that's only popular in the West when they can pick a series that is more popular worldwide.
What say you about picks from Bethesda? Do you believe it's in the same position? I don't know how prominent either is in Japan, but they're in the same position as characters like Katalina. Maybe better off.

I don't think Sub Zero is likely, but I do believe he should be the pick over Scorpion if MK was to be included.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Zeox Zeox
It's hard to love a forgotten, right?
A.G.L. A.G.L.
So, how will this go. Do you consider Joker to be an Atlus, SEGA or "Square" rep? We both lost anyway, or should we wait for the next "real" Square rep? X)

It’s considered a Sega Rep if I’m not mistaken, and yes we both lost the bet. We both need to change our picture to Joker for one week. And we’ll have to change it again if someone other than DQ or Sora gets revealed as the 2nd Square Rep. Gotta say though I’m feeling it’s Sora, way too suspicious all those leaks were trying to downplay him so much. Square is pulling a distract you with this hand while the answers are in the other hand.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
There's the trailer
Huh; there's different lines at the start. All mention of the VGA has been removed. IIRC, on stream he specifically mentioned "infiltrating the theatre" and the following reactions were "Wait a sec, he went alone to the game awards?" and "That's really far away!".

osby

Smash Obsessed
Give me your money and I buy the fighter's pass for you, my friend ;)
Joker can steal the hearts of corrupt adults but he needs your parents' credit card numbers for this!

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Even more interesting , this episode of Digimon Universe.
A Digimon used his powers to make "Game characters" obey him to destroy another Digimon.
One of the game characters was Agumon.
Some others characters look like Smash Characters, like Falco, Marth and Link.

Here: https://www.superanimes.site/anime/digimon-universe/episodio-45

He controls the characters mind's to use than as "evil warriors"

Funny , this remembers me of World of Light.
And this anime was made in 2017.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ive unlocked :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultinkling::ultness::ultpit:(MY ****ING FAVORITE UNLOCK):ultsonic:(MY 2ND ****ING FAVORITE UNLOCK) and :ultzelda:...making some :ultmiifighters:s right now

Also...cpu are evil and I love Classic Mode

D

Deleted member

Joker can steal the hearts of the corrupt adults but he needs your parents' credit card numbers for this!
Attention all Persona 5 gamers!
Joker wants to get in Smash Ultimate as DLC but he needs your help! To steal the invitation from Waluigi and beat the leaks, he's gonna need his persona and a ****ing gun. To help him run off by himself and break into the Game Awards, he needs your moms credit card number, the expiration date, and the 3 wacky numbers on the back. But hurry; he doesn't have much time to get the invitation and achieve the EPIC CHALLENGER APPROACHING.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
It’s considered a Sega Rep if I’m not mistaken, and yes we both lost the bet. We both need to change our picture to Joker for one week. And we’ll have to change it again if someone other than DQ or Sora gets revealed as the 2nd Square Rep. Gotta say though I’m feeling it’s Sora, way too suspicious all those leaks were trying to downplay him so much. Square is pulling a distract you with this hand while the answers in the other hand.
Did we agree on putting the winner' avatar? Not sure but I think we didn't disclose what we'll do if we both lost :)
Also, don't you want to wait.. although proven a bit wrong, Vergeben says there will be a Square rep. So, what do you say?

Also, what's your opinion on Joker? My friend is a die-hard Persona fan. I'm not that knowledgeable of the series but I know its good. So I'm not mad, but kinda disheartened. especially after Reggie's words.. sigh.. how can a 50+ game series not have a consideration is beyond me T^T

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
If you ask me, those hints led to the spirit reveal and Mii costumes and nothing more.

Could you clarify more on the bolded statement, I don't quite understand.
Yeah. All I'm saying is if Rex wasn't chosen due to other reasons besides timing for DLC, then it may change the idea that the DLC was chosen at mid 2016.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's a blast. And by blast, I mean "CPUs are kicking my butt to next Friday".
It's a good thing you can at least try again if you fail the first time and with different character.

Looks like I got a quite a challenge though from the sounds of things. :)

D

Deleted member

Bad news guys, Yoshi may not be in the next smash. It looks like that tax fraud may finally be his downfall:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I just realized, Joker is voiced by Jun Fukuyama.

Now we can have Super David Vincent Bros. vs Super Jun Fukuyama Bros.!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
They literally gave him Joker's name. I think some people are underestimating Nintendo's capability.
Maybe. Maybe Sakurai shared brief suggestions when Nintendo was in the process of creating the list, sort of a group project in a sense.

I mean, the possibility of Nintendo's staff deciding on adding Joker to the list prior to Sakurai is there I guess, but I do not think Nintendo would come up with the idea. Without Sakurai to consult on developing the list, they would probably be sticking to primarily Nintendo newcomers for DLC choices And sure, Nintendo probably know that guest fighters would sell as DLC, but I don't think they would reach to the niche extent of choosing a Persona character. The idea that Nintendo chose Joker does not line up with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom