• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Sega needed another rep. Compared to capcom and konami they seemed like they had got the short end of the stick.

And unfortunately, other than sonic, the persona series is the only relevant franchise worth money to them. So Joker makes some sense.

Now theres Verge and whether or not this discredits him/her. I would say no. My paranoia is telling me Nintendo is aware of what rumours are circling around and just shuffled things up a bit. Potentially why we did not see a game play trailer.(unless there was one?)

Unfortunately as a big Kh fan. I dont think this bodes too well for Sora. Joker Probably wont be available until Feb. KH3 being a January release I dont feel the second Fighter pass would align well with Kh3 to maximize profits. Unless the timing is used as a way to respark appeal as the game's hype dies.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Only problem with that is that Mortal Kombat is more or less dead in Japan and Nintendo probably wants characters that will resonate worldwide like Cloud and Joker do. For other fighting game series, I could see them going with a character from Tekken most followed by Soul Calibur, BlazBlue, and Guilty Gear.
Dead is an understatement. It's straight up extinct.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Ballot.

Like, they've done an official Ballot/Poll for EVERY SMASH BROS GAME at one point or another.

I think a 2nd season is more than likely though. How else are Isaac and Waluigi supposed to get in?
If they're going to do another ballot, it'd be wise to start it pretty soon, and make it obvious it's for a 2nd Season Pass and won't effect the Fighters Pass.

Let people vote for who they want in Season 2 while Season 1 is still in production, then close the Ballot when the 5th Fighters Pass Character drops.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sega needed another rep. Compared to capcom and konami they seemed like they had got the short end of the stick.

And unfortunately, other than sonic, the persona series is the only relevant franchise worth money to them. So Joker makes some sense.

Now theres Verge and whether or not this discredits him/her. I would say no. My paranoia is telling me Nintendo is aware of what rumours are circling around and just shuffled things up a bit. Potentially why we did not see a game play trailer.(unless there was one?)

Unfortunately as a big Kh fan. I dont think this bodes too well for Sora. Joker Probably wont be available until Feb. KH3 being a January release I dont feel the second Fighter pass would align well with Kh3 to maximize profits. Unless the timing is used as a way spark appeal as the game's hype dies.
I'm not claiming that it sells, but they still had Bayonetta.

Shroob

Sup?

Unfortunately as a big Kh fan. I dont think this bodes too well for Sora. Joker Probably wont be available until Feb. KH3 being a January release I dont feel the second Fighter pass would align well with Kh3 to maximize profits. Unless the timing is used as a way to respark appeal as the game's hype dies.
I'm hesitant to say that Joker is coming in February.

The fact that we didn't get any gameplay to me at least says that they had the trailer done, but the character probably wasn't in a presentable state.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Only third parties? I don’t think that is going to happen. I think we are going to get 1 or 2 Nintendo characters at least. Rhythm Heaven (Tibby) remains a big contender. Since it is a new series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If they're going to do another ballot, it'd be wise to start it pretty soon, and make it obvious it's for a 2nd Season Pass and won't effect the Fighters Pass.

Let people vote for who they want in Season 2 while Season 1 is still in production, then close the Ballot when the 5th Fighters Pass Character drops.
On the one hand, I'm afraid of the drama another ballot would bring. On the other hand, I guess we've been through the worst of it.

D

Deleted member

before I need to go, just want to say that’s hope there’s at least one old character (like pre-2000)in the dlc lineup and that they’re not all recent characters

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
All the rules are dead(again), so I'm going all in on Rayman or Crash getting in.

Still hope we get one hardcore Nintendo fan want.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, unless we see Joker in the obligatory January Direct, which is entirely possible, I'm not expecting a release until April or later to be blunt.

osby

Smash Obsessed
before I need to go, just want to say that’s hope there’s at least one old character (like pre-2000)in the dlc lineup and that they’re not all recent characters
That's a very bold claim. The roster has over 70 characters and ten of them debuted after 2010. What made you think that we'll get older characters? /s

D

Deleted member

Joker threw all convention out the window, which is a pleasant change of pace.

Gotta keep an open mind now that many doors have been opened.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Only problem with that is that Mortal Kombat is more or less dead in Japan and Nintendo probably wants characters that will resonate worldwide like Cloud and Joker do. For other fighting game series, I could see them going with a character from Tekken most followed by Soul Calibur, BlazBlue, and Guilty Gear.
I don't know about that. Marth and Roy were the farthest thing from world renowned when Melee happened. You could say the same for Corrin partially. Characters are added for different reasons. I believe the same applies to 3rd parties, Bayonetta being the biggest proof of that.

I do think there's a risk of alienation with a MK character, but they know better than me when and how to pull the trigger.

D

Deleted member

That's a very bold claim. The roster has over 70 characters and ten of them debuted after 2010. What made you think that we'll get older characters? /s
I get what you’re implying, but with joker I’m wondering if all the dlc are gonna be rising stars.
I’m still really tired so I can’t elaborate, but it’s just a hope. Gtg now

D

Deleted member

So, I listened to No More Heroes's main theme again after like, 7 years. Still a dope track.
Yeah, unless we see Joker in the obligatory January Direct, which is entirely possible, I'm not expecting a release until April or later to be blunt.
My thoughts exactly.
Joker threw all convention out the window, which is a pleasant change of pace.

Gotta keep an open mind now that many doors have been opened.
My mind is open for whichever door Dante and Doomguy come through.

NineS

Smash Lord
Okay, I've been gone for a while, so forgive me if this is long.

Hey guys. I got some interesting news:

We now know who sings the English version of Lifelight.

It's Abby Trott.

She voices Pod 153 in Nier: Automata and Laegjarn in FE Heroes.

I'll tag NineS NineS here for obvious reasons.
I am honored you remembered me. and my unhealthy obsession.

Well, this ride has been something else. I didn't know what I would expect coming here to Smashboards, but you know, it was fun! I met a lot of cool people.
osby osby , @Mr. Wario, @Idon, @Noipoi, @Smashing Ramen, @Professor Pumpkaboo, @staindgrey, @MasterOfKnees, @RyuhoFox, NineS NineS , @Luigi The President, @Kuon.
There are also some pretty cool people like @Zinith, @Scoliosis Jones, DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , @ToasterBrains, and KMDP KMDP
This place has had it moments, but overall it's been a fun ride. I may still pop in here every now and then, and I for sure will stay in contact with the people I mentioned.

Cheers to you all, friends! Let us enjoy Smash Ultimate!
Since I see everyone has made a list of everyone that impacted them for the big good bye. Here is mine. I will be making my leave for a week or two after smash arrives because I will either be playing smash or preparing for my finals for my master´s degree. Still, I will be here for the rest of the day. I will most likely be back after that.
We got amazing detailed posters like: @vaanrose, @Scoliosis Jones, @Cosmic77 and DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon .
Then we have really passionate posters like @Luigi The President, @Zinith, @Sniper_Fox, @Graizen, @LetterO and NineS NineS .
It was also cool to have people like @kirbsmash, @Dyllybirdy, @Smashing Ramen, @Onereasonanddone, osby osby , @KarneraMythos, @Wurmple for smash, @JDCabrera, @Kuon, @Alastor017, @faygoshill, KMDP KMDP , @Chumpodile, @Nekoo, @CaptainAmerica, @Idon, @T3Z3R1, @Shishœ, @Legendary Spirit Tamer, @staindgrey, @Indecisive Fisher, @ClaTheBae, @Jovahexeon Joranvexeon, @Untouch, IntelliHeath1 IntelliHeath1 , @Robertman2, @ToasterBrains, @monadoboy, @NonSpecificGuy, @TheCJBrine, Shroob Shroob , @Blargg888, @Opossum, @Iridium, @TyrantLizardKing, @Cutie Gwen, @SvartWolf and @PsySmasher around for the smash speculation. Thanks for the good memories.
@Noipoi gets a special mention on his own for his art. I love it.
I had my disagreements with @JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL @Bionichute or GoeGoe GoeGoe but having differing opinions in life is important so thanks for the diferent POWs and never change.
I would like to ask for forgiveness in case I forgot anyone important though.
I am honored by you as well!

IT'S GONNA BE 2B ME AND NineS NineS KNOW AND YOU'LL ALL LOOK SILLY
Thanks for remembering me! Funny thing about that, it's something Hitagi said.

They're unsure if they have the full list. Seeing as Hitagi and Vergeben are working together on the Squenix Seven, this means one of two things:
1. At least one character Vergeben didn't deconfirm from the list (meaning sora and geno are not it) are the character.
2. Someone who isn't on the list is the Squenix rep. (Meaning no one on the list is the DLC, including sora and geno.)

So that is still very well possible. Even more so now, thanks to Joker.

2B can't come to the phone right now, she's busy with Geralt and Nightmare on the stage of history
2B fair, 2B is most likely going to come out at least a year after her appearance in Soulcalibur. That is, assuming it would be her.

I'll ask for my boi NineS NineS regarding 2B. Would there be any music licensing issues with her, guys?
No music licensing issues. In fact, it'd be extremely easy. Keiichi Okabe, the guy who wrote all of the music for NieR, has been making music for Smash as well way before Ultimate. It'd be easy for Sakurai to acquire the rights.

Yeah, like many others, I'm gonna dip out of this thread until the game launches. I'll stick around the individual character forums as more information comes out, but I'd rather not know everything about the game before I turn it on.

It's been real, @Noipoi osby osby @TyrantLizardKing @Opossum @Indecisive Fisher @Luigi The President @Luigifan18 @Gothitelle @Tougon @CaptainAmerica KMDP KMDP @Idon NineS NineS @SvartWolf Flyboy Flyboy @Mc.Rad @praline and @anyoneelseicantthinkofrightnow.

Jill for DLC.
If not Jill, at least Mr. Tofu...

Anyway, the REAL reason I came here, just wanted to drop by and say I'm not dead or leaving! I was just taking a break due to the fact I did not wish to have any WoL spoilers. But now that I've got the game... I wanted to drop this here.
A Persona 5 port for switch has already been leaked by one of the most reliable leakers in terms of Atlus content. He deleted the tweet, but I saved a screenshot of it in time.
This means that, the DLC choices very will may mean it's early advertisement for potential ports or new incoming games! This is his twitter to make it easier on you: https://twitter.com/MysticDistance[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I know I said it before but

Thank god it's Joker and not Yu Narukami.

I like Persona 4, but I'm soo tired of Persona 4 pandering.

Joker is just....yes please.

Qwaser

The scent of death
NNID
Cheese200200
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead)
Honestly, I can see it happening (Reimu anyway). Touhou may not be a big thing to the western gaming community, but the western anime community sure as **** knows what Touhou is. To state it as a virtual unknown in the west, imo, is a bit disingenuous.
I definitely know it's somewhat popular in the anime game community, but people wouldn't even know unless they do some research. (Like I got into it due to seeing Momiji everywhere and curious where did she come from.)
But I feel like the true craze is over there in Japan, anyway. Unless if Reimu actually gets in and say like "everyone around the world wanted her in", then perhaps I'll think otherwise.

How can you not love the Chad with his dancing game and spinoffs?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Actual game-related point, but WHY THE **** DID THEY ONLY GIVE US THE OG 8?!

It's absolute hell unlocking all of these characters, and I'm using the fast way of doing 1v1's and rebooting the game.

The Fire Emblem characters are particularly hell to beat.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Wait until you get tired of Persona 5 pandering.

osby

Smash Obsessed

It's absolute hell unlocking all of these characters, and I'm using the fast way of doing 1v1's and rebooting the game.

Because nostalgia. I know people were complaning about lack of unlockable stuff in last game but come on, it's not 2000s anymore. Anyway, not a big problem for me, I started with Adventure Mode but I wish there was at least a free DLC for stuff like this.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like Persona 4, but my god, they need to stop milking it.

Why not give some love to 2 or 3 some time?

Joker just ticks all my boxes while Yu is white bread with a glass of water.
Persona 2: They can't, their writer doesn't work with ATLUS anymore

Persona 3: It got plenty? A movie tetralogy, dance game, shown in 2/3 Persona 4 spin-offs, two PQ games...

Oh, I know it'll happen eventually, but that's future me's worries.

That and, while I look back on Persona 4 fondly........ ****'s just Jojo Part 4, innit?
I can relate to that. Persona 3 is great but... it's just Evangelion at the end of the day.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
(This post was edited to reflect my current opinion)
I'm disheartened.. kinda.. sigh.. I have nothing against the series. Persona is a great stylish one but Nintendo selection methods worries me.
I know my friend is probably in extreme bliss state as he's a die-hard Persona fan..
Sigh..well, this is what you get from a Nintendo choice. An illogical one.. so I guess bye bye logical dreams and hopes.
That may make Steve inevitable or whatever out of the question character..
(apologies to who ever liked this post on bases of what I've written previously)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Persona 2: They can't, their writer doesn't work with ATLUS anymore

Persona 3: It got plenty? A movie tetralogy, dance game, shown in 2/3 Persona 4 spin-offs, two PQ games...
Do we talk about that, or is it like the Tsukihime anime where we pretend it doesn't exist.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do we talk about that, or is it like the Tsukihime anime where we pretend it doesn't exist.
Dunno, is it cool to hate it like Golden anime? I think they were both mostly underwhelming.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

This is some facts.

If anyone thinks that unlocking characters is worthwhile singleplayer content, then you've been lied to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom