• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Who would be considered an out-of-there 3rd party character?
2B, Noctis, Scorpion, Dragonborn, etc etc etc

Characters that the general Smash fanbase don't **** over 24/7 like Geno, Banjo, etc

No offense to anyone who likes those characters, I like them too, but Joker is SUCH a breath of fresh air like Piranha Plant was.

D

Deleted member

Watch me.
How rude.

Guess I should give my thoughts on joker then? He’s... neat. He’s pretty much perfectly in the territory of not a character I care enough about to get super excited over but not a character I care enough about to be dissapointed by.
I pretty much hopped on to YouTube, my eyes glazed onto the joker trailer, and my reaction was “huh joker’s in smash that’s a surprise”

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I still think we are going to get a Square character, but I don't think it's going to be who we think it is anymore is probably the thing. Dragon Quest would be fine, but it's also too safe of pick is the thing. This coming from a Dragon Quest fan. After Joker, I can see this DLC round being a bit more ambitious. If anything I say this raises SE characters chances like Sora or 2B more than anything.
I'll say this, The only reason DQ is even being considered a possibility at this point is because of leaks. DQ is and always has been a rights hell due to being owned by 3 entities. It's still very much in the realm of "making the impossible possible"

D

Deleted member

2B, Noctis, Scorpion, Dragonborn, etc etc etc

Characters that the general Smash fanbase don't **** over 24/7 like Geno, Banjo, etc

No offense to anyone who likes those characters, I like them too, but Joker is SUCH a breath of fresh air like Piranha Plant was.
Not gonna lie, I'd be interested to see Scorpion in Smash.

Qwaser

The scent of death
NNID
Cheese200200
I'm curious if Touhou gets a rep, considering how popular it is over Japan.

Maybe Reimu along with Sanae as a alt?

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Yo, I was dreaming for a Sora reveal, strangely enough, this reveal is the most satisfying smash reveal for me.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What company is Joker owned by?
Atlus, which is owned by Sega.

Sega now how three third party reps btw, the 3rd third party to do so after Konami and Capcom. Sega's reps are all unique though.

Meanwhile Bandai Namco and Square Enix sit at a paltry 1 by comparison.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Atlus, which is owned by Sega.

Sega now how three third party reps btw, the 3rd third party to do so after Konami and Capcom. Sega's reps are all unique though.

Meanwhile Bandai Namco and Square Enix sit at a paltry 1 by comparison.
Still can’t believe Bandai Namco hasn’t been like yo Sakurai wanna throw us a bone? Lloyd? Heihachi? Solaire? Anyone.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm curious if Touhou gets a rep, considering how popular it is over Japan.

Maybe Reimu along with Sanae as a alt?
Honestly, I can see it happening (Reimu anyway). Touhou may not be a big thing to the western gaming community, but the western anime community sure as **** knows what Touhou is. To state it as a virtual unknown in the west, imo, is a bit disingenuous.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Regarding Joker's reveal, my jaw actually dropped when Joker showed the envelope.

That's... rare for me.

I'm glad I paid attention to the P5 stuff, though the "SWITCH" sound was what pulled me from playing Smash. I thought for sure it'd be P5 for Switch.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Unpopular opinion.

If every character we get from this DLC cycle are surprise 3rd party powerhouses and not the same 20 or so characters this fanbase goes nuts over all the time....

I'd kind of love it?

Like I said before, I like all those characters as much as the next guy, but, tonight made me realize just how much I want something NEW. I want to be surprised by things I never thought was possible, not stuff everyone and their mother has debated to death.

It's the same kind of feeling like when Cloud came.

Cloud was a meme, plain and simple, the DE-FACTO never-ever character, and it happened. I want reveals like this.

Of course, I want Banjo and think he qualifies as a 'never-ever' despite how much we talk about him, and I'd be really excited if he got in, but at this point, if he's not? Fine.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Joker was totally out of left field. We never saw it comin'!

Initially I had no idea what the trailer was for. It was way too early for Persona 5: Golden, so I couldn't figure it out. It hit me like a train when it showed the smash logo. I was in complete shock. I adore Persona, and having a kickass character like Joker join the fight blows my mind.

Most of all, this reveal shows that almost anything is fair game at this point. Sora, Banjo, etc, are all now much more likely.

Still very happy with this choice though.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Annnd... Verge's response to the Joker reveal!

Thoughts? I think he backpedals so hard because he thought that Square Enix rep would be revealed as first DLC character of the fighter pass.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Unpopular opinion.

If every character we get from this DLC cycle are surprise 3rd party powerhouses and not the same 20 or so characters this fanbase goes nuts over all the time....

I'd kind of love it?

Like I said before, I like all those characters as much as the next guy, but, tonight made me realize just how much I want something NEW. I want to be surprised by things I never thought was possible, not stuff everyone and their mother has debated to death.

Cloud was a meme, plain and simple, the DE-FACTO never-ever character, and it happened. I want reveals like this.

Of course, I want Banjo and think he qualifies as a 'never-ever' despite how much we talk about him, and I'd be really excited if he got in, but at this point, if he's not? Fine.
I understand this mentality, but for me it’s like, if the dlc characters keep escalating in terms of surprise, then I wonder if things are gonna get a little too ridiculous for my tastes. I’d still love to see say, Doomguy, but I do want at least one character super requested by the ‘hardcore’ fan base get in.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm banking on Lloyd for DLC. Either him or Yuri Lowell.

You don't need insiders to tell you the obvious.
Yeah I’d bet on Lloyd between the Mii Costume and that one Sakurai interview.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bandai Namco just elected to hold off on getting a character til DLC. Of course that’s just baseless speculation on my part.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unpopular opinion.

I'd kind of love it?

SAME! I still want some "obvious" picks like Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee but I love how PP and Joker gave us new things to talk about.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well Reggie did say Joker would be a good representation of what DLC is like.

I’m not sure if Poochy is as hype as Joker or would sell as much, or would even warrant his own stage/songs.

If I had to guess I’d say no (DLC spirit when Crafted World comes out seems more likely), but I’m rooting for him for you
Eh, Poochy IS kinda off the wall if you think about it. It doesn't always have to be "protagonist of a non-Nintendo game" all the time

Shroob

Sup?
I understand this mentality, but for me it’s like, if the dlc characters keep escalating in terms of surprise, then I wonder if things are gonna get a little too ridiculous for my tastes. I’d still love to see say, Doomguy, but I do want at least one character super requested by the ‘hardcore’ fan base get in.
I think that's fair.

It's just, to me, characters like Piranha Plant and Joker are just mind blowing to me because:

"I never expected THIS."

It's like when you're a kid and you don't know what you're actually getting for Christmas. Sure, you may get something that you want, but sometimes, the best gifts are the ones you never knew you wanted.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Would Sigma be too ridiculous?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Unpopular opinion.

I'd kind of love it?

I think that's a mildly popular opinion.

Like, you have a few people who go "Smash is for hardcore Nintendo fans ONLY!" but a good amount of people like off-the-wall picks like this.

I'm still largely sticking to my guns with DLC speculation though:
  • Square Enix Rep (Erdrick, Sora, or Geno)
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Steve/Banjo & Kazooie
  • Doom Slayer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Would Sigma be too ridiculous?
No because I say so.
More seriously, probably not as much as joker cause he has at least made his first appearance on Nintendo, and has had several appearances since then. He’d be more surprising cause he’s another megaman character imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Not gonna lie, I'd be interested to see Scorpion in Smash.
I think Sub Zero should be the pick to go with. Easier to implement (not censoring his moveset) and a lot more interesting (freezing opponents, tossing Ice Clones, making weapons out of thin air).

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Okay, I'm curious if there's an order to Character reveals since I heard a lot of people getting King K. Rool first.
So far I have gotten these characters..
Link Classic Mode - King K. Rool
K. Rool Smash Mode - Ness
Mario Classic Mode - Sonic
Sonic Classic Mode - Bayonetta
I wonder if this means Poochy is still up for grabs...
Poochy is up for grabs but..well..honestly..I don't think Nintendo will choose Poochy for DLC, he wouldn't really be that hype of a character..at least not to the level of someone like Joker, Cloud, Bayonetta, etc..Given that Nintendo wants to both Surprise and Hype people, I'm thinking they're going to go with characters that are Popular and Surprising..which could be any 3rd Party characters at this point..which I'm honestly guessing will make up the bulk of the DLC Characters since, lets admit, the 3rd Party Characters ALWAYS cause Hype and they would definitely sell better then this or that character from an already represented Nintendo series unless they are a main character from a popular game or series (such as Rex & Pyra).
Poochy would have a better chance at a Base Roster or Bonus DLC WTF pick akin to Piranha Plant.

I don't mean this to be mean or disheartening, Zinith, I love Poochy and I love Yoshi..but sadly Yoshi isn't really a big name series for Nintendo..its had, what, maybe 3 games actually be celebrated as fun (Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Wooly World) while the rest have been subpar at best..which is very sad for me to say since I LOVE Yoshi's Island as one of my all time favorite Platformers and in the Top 10 for my favorite Super Nintendo games alongside Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV, and A Link to the Past..but its true.
Regardless of DLC, Verge had knowledge of base roster. And honestly after Joker, a SE Rep seems like a likelihood just cuz 3rd Party
That's how Verge was with Dragonball FighterZ too, seemed to have genuine info for the Base Game but when it came to DLC, he was typically dead wrong..I think he got Base Goku and Base Vegeta right and that was it.
Annnd... Verge's response to the Joker reveal!

Thoughts? I think he backpedals so hard because he thought that Square Enix rep would be revealed as first DLC character of the fighter pass.
See above comment..I wouldn't be surprised if he truly is backpedalling, like he was with the Minecraft content he was so sure about.

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Guys, when I see all these characters officials artworks on the sides of the smashboards website it makes me want to see the official artwork of Joker !

Shroob

Sup?
I'm also still of the mind that they're going to pull some shenanigan near the end of the DLC's lifespan.

I'm not saying a full on 2nd season, but regardless of that, now that we know how the Training Mode stage works, when the 5 packs are done, we STILL will have a blank spot on the Stage Select Screen in the very bottom-right corner.

I think we're honestly going to get either a stage without a fighter attached for some reason, or another Ballot.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I imagine we'll get a Nintendo character or two in the DLC but...man, this was such a shock. I've never played Persona before, but I love me some JRPGs and I've always thought about playing it. The only thing that puts me off is the time mechanic, I've always hated adventure games or rpg's games that don't let me play at my pace. I quit Final Fantasy Type-O for the same reason.

Maybe I'll give it a try, though. I love the art direction and music. And the battle system is turn based, which I prefer.

Congrats to Joker supporters!

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
If this whole Joker thing boosts out-there 3rd parties chances...

Does that mean that Amaterasu has a shot?

Okami would deserve it truly. That game is a f****** masterpiece.

2B would be rad as well.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, I'm curious if there's an order to Character reveals since I heard a lot of people getting King K. Rool first.
So far I have gotten these characters..
Link Classic Mode - King K. Rool
K. Rool Smash Mode - Ness
Mario Classic Mode - Sonic
Sonic Classic Mode - Bayonetta
Yes, Classic Mode unlocks are preset.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm also still of the mind that they're going to pull some shenanigan near the end of the DLC's lifespan.

I'm not saying a full on 2nd season, but regardless of that, now that we know how the Training Mode stage works, when the 5 packs are done, we STILL will have a blank spot on the Stage Select Screen in the very bottom-right corner.

I think we're honestly going to get either a stage without a fighter attached for some reason, or another Ballot.
I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Ballot.

Like, they've done an official Ballot/Poll for EVERY SMASH BROS GAME at one point or another.

I think a 2nd season is more than likely though. How else are Isaac and Waluigi supposed to get in?

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think Sub Zero should be the pick to go with. Easier to implement (not censoring his moveset) and a lot more interesting (freezing opponents, tossing Ice Clones, making weapons out of thin air).
Only problem with that is that Mortal Kombat is more or less dead in Japan and Nintendo probably wants characters that will resonate worldwide like Cloud and Joker do. For other fighting game series, I could see them going with a character from Tekken most followed by Soul Calibur, BlazBlue, and Guilty Gear.

D

Deleted member

Side note: Shao Kahn being playable in MK11 is pretty exciting. What was with that music choice though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom