• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think that, since we're all pretty much saying goodbye to Smash 4 soon, I should post this song here:
Listening to this makes me want to write a post-mortem for Sm4sh, so why not.

I came to Smashboards because of Sm4sh. I'd gotten banned from GameFAQs due to an error in their site that they refused to overturn, and I had nowhere else to go for speculation and information. Smashboards was much more welcoming than GameFAQs. I remember back before PushDustIn PushDustIn started SourceGaming and he was one of the best speculators here with his knowledge of Sakurai interviews and articles and capability to translate Japanese. I remember when Ninka/Vaanrose leak was just the Ninka and Vaanrose leaks and both said different things. Of course I believed the Ninka leak because it had Shulk, my most wanted character. And then the ESRB leak released on 4chan and all hell broke loose. People going back and forth on whether or not it was fake or real. I was pretty convinced it was real when I first saw it, but the gameplay sold it because it was too good to simply be a Brawl mod. I look back on that turbulent period of speculation and I can say it was better than the war that broke out over the Grinch Hoax. It felt like the community was together arguing about the merits and flaws of it, compared to two sides yelling at each other, telling the other side they're wrong.

I remember when they released the demo codes for Sm4sh 3DS and watching Twitter for anyone who had spare codes. I spent about an hour refreshing searchs, DM'ing people about it, and I finally got my hand on the demo with 5 characters and only two minute timed matches. I absolutely loved it. Portable Smash Bros. had been my dream for the longest time, and to see it actually happening was surreal. I remember attending the midnight release of Sm4sh 3DS with my dad and being the youngest person there by far (I was 14 at the time). I played a single game of Melee (the only Melee game I've ever really played) and picking Roy only to get absolutely **** on. The Gamecube controller was kinda greasy, and it smelt like body odor, but I got Sm4sh 3DS and I stayed up until 5AM playing it. After sleeping for a bit, I took a day off of school just to keep playing. I'd been waiting for this game since it's announcement in 2011, and school could wait one day gosh-dang-it.

I didn't take a day off to play Sm4sh Wii U when it released, but since it released on a Friday I had an entire weekend to play it. I remember getting it from Gamestop and then walking over to a Target to find one of three Marth amiibos left. Of course I got him. This was before the mass shortage of amiibos occurred, and I spent quite some time chasing after rarer amiibos. I actually made my reddit account to primarily post on r/amiibo, even though I barely, if ever, go there now. I also remember searching for around three months for a Gamecube adapter since they were in such short demand, but finally I got one after much searching (and pestering my parents). When Sm4sh Wii U released I invited my best friend over and we jumped right into classic mode from the start, and imagine our surprise when we go to face the first match only for one of the trophies to get ABSOLUTELY BLOWN THE **** OUT by Peach. We had a good laugh about that. We also enjoyed Smash Tour, even though I feel like we're the only ones who do at times. It brought another dimension to the multiplayer experience of Smash Bros., and that's the most important part to me.

Sm4sh introduced me to Xenoblade Chronicles, my favorite game series ever. I was lucky enough to get a copy for the Wii back when it was a Gamestop exclusive. I had it shipped in from another county or state and put on hold for me. Some fan(s) offered an additional $50 to break that, but they didn't, and I got the game. It introduced me to Alpharad, one of my favorite youtubers who I've had the opportunity to watch grow from 10K to 1 million subscribers; I can actually say that I was there for 10K unlike most posers. When I got dumped my junior year of High School and fell into horrible depression, Sm4sh is how I reconnected with my old best friend who I'd neglected, and that's what started a new, stronger friendship between us.

Sm4sh has been a massively influential aspect of my life, and if it weren't for it's influence in my life I wouldn't have come back to speculate this time around, and I wouldn't have met all of you. Being older and more mature makes me feel like I've gotten to know all of you more than I did during Sm4sh speculation. Even people I knew from back then such as Luigi The President Luigi The President , Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , and Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei I feel like I've gotten to know so much better, to the point where I can call them friends alongside newer faces such as Nekoo Nekoo and Noipoi Noipoi . For those I've forgotten to list, if you're sad that I didn't list you then you're my friend as well. Even if you weren't sad I still consider most, if not all of you, friends. For all of our disagreements and back-and-forth arguments, I genuinely enjoy my time on this site (most of the time, anyways). However things play out from here, whether I end up staying or taking a back seat in speculation, I'd like to thank you all, and wish nothing but the best in life for y'all.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Listening to this makes me want to write a post-mortem for Sm4sh, so why not.

I came to Smashboards because of Sm4sh. I'd gotten banned from GameFAQs due to an error in their site that they refused to overturn, and I had nowhere else to go for speculation and information. Smashboards was much more welcoming than GameFAQs. I remember back before PushDustIn PushDustIn started SourceGaming and he was one of the best speculators here with his knowledge of Sakurai interviews and articles and capability to translate Japanese. I remember when Ninka/Vaanrose leak was just the Ninka and Vaanrose leaks and both said different things. Of course I believed the Ninka leak because it had Shulk, my most wanted character. And then the ESRB leak released on 4chan and all hell broke loose. People going back and forth on whether or not it was fake or real. I was pretty convinced it was real when I first saw it, but the gameplay sold it because it was too good to simply be a Brawl mod. I look back on that turbulent period of speculation and I can say it was better than the war that broke out over the Grinch Hoax. It felt like the community was together arguing about the merits and flaws of it, compared to two sides yelling at each other, telling the other side they're wrong.

I remember when they released the demo codes for Sm4sh 3DS and watching Twitter for anyone who had spare codes. I spent about an hour refreshing searchs, DM'ing people about it, and I finally got my hand on the demo with 5 characters and only two minute timed matches. I absolutely loved it. Portable Smash Bros. had been my dream for the longest time, and to see it actually happening was surreal. I remember attending the midnight release of Sm4sh 3DS with my dad and being the youngest person there by far (I was 14 at the time). I played a single game of Melee (the only Melee game I've ever really played) and picking Roy only to get absolutely **** on. The Gamecube controller was kinda greasy, and it smelt like body odor, but I got Sm4sh 3DS and I stayed up until 5AM playing it. After sleeping for a bit, I took a day off of school just to keep playing. I'd been waiting for this game since it's announcement in 2011, and school could wait one day gosh-dang-it.

I didn't take a day off to play Sm4sh Wii U when it released, but since it released on a Friday I had an entire weekend to play it. I remember getting it from Gamestop and then walking over to a Target to find one of three Marth amiibos left. Of course I got him. This was before the mass shortage of amiibos occurred, and I spent quite some time chasing after rarer amiibos. I actually made my reddit account to primarily post on r/amiibo, even though I barely, if ever, go there now. I also remember searching for around three months for a Gamecube adapter since they were in such short demand, but finally I got one after much searching (and pestering my parents). When Sm4sh Wii U released I invited my best friend over and we jumped right into classic mode from the start, and imagine our surprise when we go to face the first match only for one of the trophies to get ABSOLUTELY BLOWN THE **** OUT by Peach. We had a good laugh about that. We also enjoyed Smash Tour, even though I feel like we're the only ones who do at times. It brought another dimension to the multiplayer experience of Smash Bros., and that's the most important part to me.

Sm4sh introduced me to Xenoblade Chronicles, my favorite game series ever. I was lucky enough to get a copy for the Wii back when it was a Gamestop exclusive. I had it shipped in from another county or state and put on hold for me. Some fan(s) offered an additional $50 to break that, but they didn't, and I got the game. It introduced me to Alpharad, one of my favorite youtubers who I've had the opportunity to watch grow from 10K to 1 million subscribers; I can actually say that I was there for 10K unlike most posers. When I got dumped my junior year of High School and fell into horrible depression, Sm4sh is how I reconnected with my old best friend who I'd neglected, and that's what started a new, stronger friendship between us.

Sm4sh has been a massively influential aspect of my life, and if it weren't for it's influence in my life I wouldn't have come back to speculate this time around, and I wouldn't have met all of you. Being older and more mature makes me feel like I've gotten to know all of you more than I did during Sm4sh speculation. Even people I knew from back then such as Luigi The President Luigi The President , Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , and Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei I feel like I've gotten to know so much better, to the point where I can call them friends alongside newer faces such as Nekoo Nekoo and Noipoi Noipoi . For those I've forgotten to list, if you're sad that I didn't list you then you're my friend as well. Even if you weren't sad I still consider most, if not all of you friends. For all of our disagreements and back-and-forth arguments, I genuinely enjoy my time on this site (most of the time, anyways). However things play out from here, whether I end up staying or taking a back seat in speculation, I'd like to thank you all, and wish nothing but the best in life for y'all.
I'm gonna end up being the only user on this thread aren't I if all y'all keep dropping out...

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Ryu and Ken don't have counters though.

You're probably thinking of Focus Attack. A lot of people confuse it for a counter.
Indeed they aren't, but they can shrug any single hit thanks to the super armour so it's a pseudo-counter (don't know if fully charged Flare Blade is multihit since I don't use Roy ever).

D

Deleted member

Ay so here's something cool that you guys might want to know.
Ganon is great. Like he has stupid dumb range on his forward smash. Literally, if you are JUST out of range of his F smash, you still probably wont be able to do a decent punish on it.
I did some testing, and if you are just out of range of Ganon's F smash as Shulk, Shulk cannot punish with his own F smash, thats how good Ganon's is.
You can literally only punish the move with Megaman's jab or a special.
As a Ganon/Shulk main, I'm conflicted:
Do I celebrate the huge range Ganon has or do I die because Shulk's "largest reach" gimmick has been robbed from him 3 times already?
I actually think the system they have does work. It just needs more refining. More time in the pot to fully refine. I do not want to see it just become an exact copy.
Nah, it sucks. Killing only with supers makes all others pointless and makes matches boring.
And you literally only have to worry about getting hit if it's a super. Getting hit doesn't put you in disadvantage nor can it put you closer to dying.

Imagine if Smash always had FS Meter on and no matter what you did, no move could take out a stock, only the FS.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm gonna end up being the only user on this thread aren't I if all y'all keep dropping out...

I'll likely stick around until the conclusion of the SE Rep speculation saga.

After that, who knows. Maybe I'll return to Smash 6 speculation to be the Chronobound or Burb of the cycle, but who knows where I'll be in life at that point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hm, 8 more hours.

Guess I could just sleep that off.
I will stay up for the Game Awards.

I'll likely stick around until the conclusion of the SE Rep speculation saga.

After that, who knows. Maybe I'll return to Smash 6 speculation to be the Chronobound or Burb of the cycle, but who knows where I'll be in life at that point.
There's also the off-topic threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreeFox

Smash Lord

I am staying. At least, until I have my game. It probably wont matter much. I am probably not that noticiable.

I´ll probably still come and check every once in a while.

Last edited:

segillav

Smash Apprentice
It's so weird that Ultimate is almost here. I started lurking here in July out of boredom. I had somewhat followed Smash 4 speculation but other than the ESRB leak I don't really remember much from it. About a month ago I made an account because I wanted to point something I noticed on the Smash website. I didn't think I'd do anything else but for whatever reason I've stuck around. I'm not sure if I'll post much once the game is out but I just want to say I've enjoyed reading everyone's different perspectives and all y'alls ****posts (especially the ****posts tbh).

oh and Merry Christmas i guess.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
As a Ganon/Shulk main, I'm conflicted:
Do I celebrate the huge range Ganon has or do I die because Shulk's "largest reach" gimmick has been robbed from him 3 times already?

Nah, it sucks. Killing only with supers makes all others pointless and makes matches boring.
And you literally only have to worry about getting hit if it's a super. Getting hit doesn't put you in disadvantage nor can it put you closer to dying.

Imagine if Smash always had FS Meter on and no matter what you did, no move could take out a stock, only the FS.
Why is it that no forums ever have a dislike option.

It’s better than a fighter where you never see the super moves at all.

I can’t find a compromise either. It’s a system I like and let’s me have more fun with the game. If I saw it become just a stock smash clone with no differences besides the ips i’d be upset.

Just because a system won’t work at a tournament doesn’t mean it isn’t FUN. In MY opinion, the second you start thinking about any game as a competition it stops being fun.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eh, I just came here to push SMT to everyone.

So at the very least 2 dozen or so people are now aware it exists at least.

Now I guess I'll stay in the character threads talking tech or any other boards I find interesting.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So my release day plans fell in the hole.

- My brother's sick so we're not inviting anyone over now. The group Smash sesh will be over the weekend instead.
- Our next episode on our Youtube channel is behind schedule so I'm gonna be working on that immediately after work all the way up to like 8:59. So no 9pm release party at Best Buy for me.
- Our store manager called a sudden 2hr mandatory staff meeting Friday at 8am that for some reason I have to go to despite not actually working in the store proper. So I'll probably be in bed by midnight.

Ah well.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Eh, I just came here to push SMT to everyone.

So at the very least 2 dozen or so people are now aware it exists at least.

Now I guess I'll stay in the character threads talking tech or any other boards I find interesting.
What, Super Mario Typing?

:awesome:

D

Deleted member

It’s better than a fighter where you never see the super moves at all.
download35906fa9_ed_2f0_2fPictures_2fScreenshots_2fScreenshot_20181026-203421.png

It really isn't. And it's not like you don't see FSs during casual play.
Just because a system won’t work at a tournament doesn’t mean it isn’t FUN. In MY opinion, the second you start thinking about any game as a competition it stops being fun.
I played PSASBR exclusively as FFAs with my friends. We all got bored really quickly.
The movesets are super fun and I loved playing as Raiden and Master Chief but once we realized they were all pointless and the novelty wore off, it was just "eh" and we started played better fighting games.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 181871

I played PSASBR exclusively as FFAs with my friends. We all got bored really quickly.
The movesets are super fun and I loved playing as Raiden and Master Chief but once we realized they were all pointless and the novelty wore off, it was just "eh" and we started played better fighting games.
>PSASBR
>Master Chief

Is Crash in the game at the reality you live?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 181871

Master Chief is an Xbox character. Your probably thinking of Colonal Radec or maybe Isaac Clarke (though you probably didn’t buy the dlc)

I’m trying to come up with a compromise. But if it was just Smash with a 3 level super meter it wouldn’t ever get used (see final smash meter).

I had one idea that your character could have a life bar. And when you knock it down the character gets dizzy and then you have to finish them supers. But then why would you need 3. It’s super frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom