• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
*Pokes head in thread for a second*

Hewwo. owo

Just popping back in for a bit to share how excited I am for this Friday! Y'know, everytime I stop and think about this game, I find myself thinking: "There's a new Smash game, and it's out this week. There's...a new Smash Bros. with characters like Inklings, Ridley, and King K. Rool in it, with an Adventure Mode, Everyone is Here, 103 stages with each one having three different forms, 800 music tracks, and it comes out this week. Nah, it can't be. You're lying, it's just a big 'ol fib. There's no way there's actually a Smash Bros. this soon in the Switch's lifespan with this much content and even more on the way until 2020."

Seriously, this game is unreal. Like, it feels like it should be impossible that it exists, and yet it does. It does indeed exists, and words can't describe how happy it makes me that it does. Although, I am having a bit of a problem in deciding what I wanna do first: Do I wanna jump into matches with my brothers right away, or do I want to experience solo modes like WoL and Classic and start working on character unlocks right away? Unfortunately, my attempts to spoiler dodge have not been perfect. While reading a stream schedule for someone I was going to be watching while playing on midnight launch, someone directly tweeted a spoiler at them and I unfortunately saw it. Not a huge deal, but disappointing nonetheless. At least it was only text and not pictures, so that's good.

We're really living the dream, huh? What this ended up being was so much more than the port I expected it to be longs way back. Having an actual single player, so many fan-requested fighters, putting it on a console that people are actually BUYING? It's all amazing. And that's not even considering the DLC fighters we still have left to receive. I'm going to definitely play with my friends with the OG 8 fighters before tackling world of light, AHHH having an actual single player is my favorite part. Smash 4 was great and I'll always cherish it, but it's single player was barren. This game seems much more finished, and I may even somehow put more time down in it than the years I spent on smash 4.

Try not to let those hype levels rise too high until release, or do! The game will more than likely meet those hype expectations after all. :4pacman:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Alright, so where's my no Smash Ultimate announcement at VGAs mainly to keep expectations in check squad at?
Present.

My bets are on MP4, MPT and something none of us are expecting. From Nintendo, anyway.

D

Deleted member

Y'know, I honestly didn't think that we'd get a Smash DLC announcement for The Game Awards unless we know there are some bombshells over last years' award show.

However.
Crash Team Racing Remake? Metroid Prime Trilogy + Prime 4? JOSEF FARES RETURNS?

NOW a Smash Ultimate DLC reveal isn't off the table. At this point, the VGAs are pretty much a mini E3, and I ****ing love it.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Stinky smash players topic? That reminds me...

I went to a tournament in Houston at a college and it was a big event but all inside one college room. I walked in and the entire room smelt terrible, and it felt like sweat was literally in the air. I asked around about it, like specifically if anyone else thought it smelled bad, but NO ONE had a issue with the smell and I was practically dying. I had to exit in the room and go in the hall way, but that wasn't enough being near the door the smell remained so I had to walk further down the hall to save my precious nose from the stench.
Not only do I bring deodorant to every Smash tournament I attend, but I've even let others borrow it.

Icky, yes, but at least I don't have to smell it anymore.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Y'know, I honestly didn't think that we'd get a Smash DLC announcement for The Game Awards unless we know there are some bombshells over last years' award show.

However.
Crash Team Racing Remake? Metroid Prime Trilogy + Prime 4? JOSEF FARES RETURNS?

NOW a Smash Ultimate DLC reveal isn't off the table. At this point, the VGAs are pretty much a mini E3, and I ****ing love it.
Yeah lol. I mainly only watch the VGAs just to see what gets GOTY, but most importantly the announcement. That's pretty much it though.

D

Deleted member

I’d say there’s like a 35% chance for Smash DLC to show up at the awrds. I don’t think it’s super likely, but it could happen imo.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
idk how likely smash dlc showing up at VGAs is but there is definitely an air of excitement surrounding VGAs this year, with potentially insanely cool stuff being announced. Can't wait!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Who just like, sniffs people

Like imagine walking up to someone, sniffing them, and saying "wow you smell good"

The thought of that disturbs me
Like it's one thing when a friend or someone you're comfortable with does it but a random stranger and it's like

Ah

I know the meme is Smash players but I think it applies to others as well, mostly the convention scene around here. It's really weird because it's like...there are people who don't shower and put deodorant on every day? What???

**** I just remembered I didn't have time to shower before work today so I just scrubbed down with a wash cloth and put deodorant on I'm almost a full fledged member of the Smash fandom

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
But the steelbox is more unique, a steelbox version will end up being more expensive and rare than a regular one.
You'd think so but look what happened to Halo.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Alright, so where's my no Smash Ultimate announcement at VGAs mainly to keep expectations in check squad at?
Riiiight here!! Though I'm not trying to keep expectations low. I just don't think Nintendo even needs to show anything, the hype level is already at 100%.

D

Deleted member

We're really living the dream, huh? What this ended up being was so much more than the port I expected it to be longs way back. Having an actual single player, so many fan-requested fighters, putting it on a console that people are actually BUYING? It's all amazing. And that's not even considering the DLC fighters we still have left to receive. I'm going to definitely play with my friends with the OG 8 fighters before tackling world of light, AHHH having an actual single player is my favorite part. Smash 4 was great and I'll always cherish it, but it's single player was barren. This game seems much more finished, and I may even somehow put more time down in it than the years I spent on smash 4.

Try not to let those hype levels rise too high until release, or do! The game will more than likely meet those hype expectations after all. :4pacman:
It really is crazy. While I never expected the game to be a port, I definitely didn't see all the content and fan request characters coming. My expectations were very low from the start, so needless to say I've been blown away. This game is one giant love letter to Nintendo fans and I am 100% down with that.

So, I watched a stream like a week or so back on someone making a tier list not based on who they think will be good or not, but their own personal interest in each character and if they were a contender to be their main or not. I thought the idea sounded pretty fun and like a good way to kill time while waiting for Ultimate, so I gave it a go and made my own character rankings based on who I like most on the roster and who I'm considering for mains:

gRK2yDF.jpg

Tier 1: My favorites on the roster, all are contenders for mains.
Tier 2: Favorites that are mostly contenders for secondaries, but a few of the higher up ones could be ideas for mains if they surprise me.
Tier 3: Ideas for secondaries and characters I don't really have an opinion on ATM and need to try them.
Tier 4: Characters I don't really have any interest in ever learning, but will mess around with for fun.
Tier 5: Characters aren't my cup of tea to play as in Smash.
Tier 6: Characters I dislike on the roster.

Granted, if (and it's a BIG if ATM) I decide to take this Smash a little more seriously than I have previous games, the list of characters I actually invest time into to learn will at MAXIMUM probably be around 2 (maybe 3, but realistically only 2), with a few secondaries I play for fun and to switch things up every now and then.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I've played SOME of fates, I didn't beat it. But I know that their signature sword in the game is the Yato, so if they wanted to represent that character best? Then they had to have them with the cool flame sword. Losing the Yato would be similar to Chrom or Lucina losing their falchion, so I'd say it was a big enough deal. I don't think Corrin would've been much more interesting with a different weapon anyways, but that's just because I have bias to not like Corrin as much as the other FE reps due to them being dumb :'^)
I don't feel it would be as similar, but i guess i can be mistaken. For Lucina and Chrom, the Falchion is both an important part of their characters and an important part of the story. it may be the tired fantasy trope of the "only sword to kill teh dragon" (Balmung and siegfried if i'm not mistaken) and be a direct callback to teh first fire emblem. but in teh end, teh falchion is a symbol of hope against the total annhilitaion that Grima is supposed to be. this kind of Primeval Evil. Lucina is teh same, except that her sword is also a symbol of a fallen world, and the only connection she keep of her father.

So yeah, taking the falchion out of those 2 kinda hurts.

Is really Corrin sword is as important to the whole story? or the character?

Heh. That's where you'll be even more disappointed.

You don't really. You start the game, **** happens around you and then the game's like, "Oh! Here's the legendary Yato which is even more legendary than the eight other legendary weapons all your siblings own, and it's just sticking out of a rock for some reason and here it is floating to your hand!" And then you have the strongest sword in the game and the actual non-tutorial gameplay hasn't even started yet.

The sword does change colors depending on which path you choose, if I remember right, and most story interactions with other characters start with, "I don't trust you Corr-- Wait. Is that the YATO?!??! Okay, let's fight, but nobody will die, and then I'll agree with everything you say and we'll all be best friends."

...I didn't like Fates.
So is basically a Deux ex Machina of the worst kind?

I really think that Corrin design worked well enough with the manakete stuff (being different to the rest) and the whole "Family ties" that seems to be the whole point of Fates. adding also a "Legendary sword" feels more like a liability to the design that something that helps her stand out, Unlike Chrom or Lucina.

If at the moment of designing Corrin, you didn't NEED to put a legendary sword somewhere, maybe just a manakete moveset would been enough?

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Well, I’m “hoping” at the vgas that obi-wan kenobi prevents Luke skywalker from succumbing to the dark side ;)

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
if edrick can be female, im p sure there's a doujin about that
Yeah Erdrick could be male or female, though in the original version of Dragon Quest 3 the differences between the two were pretty minor due to the low resolution of the sprite work, they really didn't have different looking sprites. Though later versions gave them a bit more distinction by giving the female version a slightly less bulky figure and different hair though because they were still mostly tiny sprites the differences were still minor, the official artwork is what really shows the differences between the two. Definitely less drastic of a difference compared to Robin or Corrin for example. If they are going to do Erdrick I still think they should do both genders frankly.

Why are people even licking carts in the first place? lol
Because Nintendo intentionally marketed not to do it and nothing gets you attention on the internet then doing stupid things for no reason, just look at that whole Tide Pod Challenge incident.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So is basically a Deux ex Machina of the worst kind?

I really think that Corrin design worked well enough with the manakete stuff (being different to the rest) and the whole "Family ties" that seems to be the whole point of Fates. adding also a "Legendary sword" feels more like a liability to the design that something that helps her stand out, Unlike Chrom or Lucina.

If at the moment of designing Corrin, you didn't NEED to put a legendary sword somewhere, maybe just a manakete moveset would been enough?
It's a part of their original character design. I don't think they needed it, but I don't see a need to remove it.

That would be like removing Palutena's shield moves or Mewtwo's tail moves.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cancelled in favor of 15 Persona 5 spin offs and 5 Etrian Odyssey games that only one person plays
That seems pretty unnecessary, considering they all made by different teams and have independent budgets. yes, I know it's a joke

D

Deleted member

No related but singing "wake up, Get up, get out there" like no one is listening feels amazing
Even though my singing is actually horrible (like actually bad, like there's nothing redeemable about it at all. I'm not like trained or anything for ****) there's something genuinely therapeutic about hiking far enough in the woods behind my apartment building so nobody can hear it and singing at the top of my lungs

SHOW US LIIIIGHT FOR NOOWWWWW

Last edited by a moderator:

R O F L

Smash Ace
I don't care what they announce at TGA as long as I get Pikmin 4, even if they announce another Pit clone as the first DLC character.

PLease nintendo, you said the game was almost done a few years ago.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't care what they announce at TGA as long as I get Pikmin 4, even if they announce another Pit clone as the first DLC character.

PLease nintendo, you said the game was almost done a few years ago.
Not that the saltstorm caused by another Pit clone wouldn't be absolutely amazing, but I can't really think of a character that would work as one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom