• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm British (born and raised in England before moving) and I really don't get the 'wit'. Only dialogue I remember seeing was Gruntilda always rhyming and Kazooie saying she wants to jam a key up her ****
The humor in Banjo-Kazooie a lot drier, more focused on quick gags and one-liners. Both Banjo and Kazooie are the “straight men” in this world that’s absolutely bizaree. Coming across these equally strange characters that either want to help them or kill them.

It may not be humor that clicks with everyone, but Banjo-Kazooie (along with Rare itself back then) does have plenty of charisma.

D

Deleted member

People who were into Bowsette were just too scared to admit that they would totally **** Bowser

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If people don't have a background with a certain character they usually don't want them or would be indifferent to their inclusion in the game, but if they're heavily requested it can become annoying to them. For me personally, I played a lot of Banjo and Kazooie as a kid (anyone remember they had a gba game? That's the one I played a lot lol) so he's personally my top pick for this game. But I also don't want Geno in this game, since I never played SMRPG (actually tried on the wii but stopped before I got to Geno idk paper mario is better), which would be fine on it's own but with almost everyone saying he deserves it or that he's important really baffles me and makes me hate the character in a really petty way.
I feel that. Sylux is that guy for me. It's dumb, but he wasn't even the most interesting Hunter in the game he's actually appeared in and now people are banging on about him. I also felt that for Decidueye but yknow, Incin was always my boy.

The fun of only having pipe dreams and obscure wants is that you get to be pleasantly surprised when they seem in any way likely and not too disappointed when characters you think are fun but weren't super invested in get in.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
To be completely honest, barring new IPs and 3rd parties....everyone who is iconic is already in the game.

We're fighting over scraps now. Non iconic sixth reps from already represented series or whatever.

....I still want a fourth Kirby or DK rep, but that's just my childhood speaking.

D

Deleted member

People who were into Bowsette were just too scared to admit that they would totally **** Bowser
This is bull**** because I was fully into the "**** Bowser" train since Day 1. Bowsette just gave me another spin on it.

beans

Smash Lord
The super crown probably wouldn’t change Sigma at all because it’s a mushroom and therefore likely wouldn’t work on robots.
God, I hate fun.
The stronger virus survives.
What is the maverick virus when compared to the scrown.meme?
All the new gen reploids shall be cute girls in dresses now.

D

Deleted member

Banjo and Kazooie are my friends because I think there's an earnestness and gentleness to them. A lot of 90s platforming mascots prided themselves on 'tude and crudeness but Rare were just like "here's a dopey bear and a snarky bird and they're friends and she lives inside his backpack despite how absurdly inconvenient that is". There's a timeless, fairy tale quality there that I think makes them more appealing to my adult self than characters like Crash or Dreamcast-era Sonic, who I also grew up on and still have some fondness for but I think are painfully dated in a lot of ways. Like yeah, Banjo's surfer necklace and shorts are still a little bit... archaic, to put it kindly, but otherwise the duo have aged far more gracefully as characters than the vast majority of their contemporaries, in my opinion.

I also like that their moveset is all just themed around what they are. They're a bear and a bird and they're codependent on one another. Simple, and I can totally understand why some may see that as simple to a fault, but I think that gives them a sense of aesthetic cohesion that's appealing in the same way a lot of Nintendo's headliners are. It's why I think they'd fit in Smash like a glove.

Again, no knock against people who dislike 'em or anything. I get why they might not appeal to those who didn't grow up on them. I just got to thinking as to why I still liked them as much as I do, despite a lot of my childhood favourites falling out of favour with adult me's sensibilities. It's probably partially Muh N64 Nostalgia™, but I'd like to think to myself that it's not entirely that.
To add on to this, I think a large reason why the vast majority of people want Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros. is to revive the franchise from whatever hellhole Microsoft and Rare put it at. Look at Castlevania; while not necessarily dead - a good example being the Netflix anime, but definitely dormant in the eyes of a lot of people and would've wished it got treated better other than just pachinko machines. But look what happened after the Simon/Richter reveal? Castlevania is now more known to people than ever before. Hell, I don't think the re-releases of Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood wouldn't exist or get notoriety without Smash alone.

It's honestly pretty ridiculous how much of a power grip Smash Bros. has as a whole. You could announce a DLC character at The Game Awards there and some people will say that alone is the reason why the event was great. So seeing as how Banjo-Kazooie has been treated to now just a decoration for that ****ty, disguised early access game Sea of Thieves, all we can at least hope is that for their Smash inclusion will help make Phil Spencer or Rare see that the duo are still loved and everyone would like to see the series thrive on.

D

Deleted member

At least the maverick virus lasted for more than 2 weeks.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
To be completely honest, barring new IPs and 3rd parties....everyone who is iconic is already in the game.

We're fighting over scraps now. Non iconic sixth reps from already represented series or whatever.

....I still want a fourth Kirby or DK rep, but that's just my childhood speaking.
Yeah, like, I'm not foolish enough to think that Travis Touchdown or Elma or whoever revolutionized gaming but it sure would be nice to see them mix it up and get whole new fandoms as a result.

I'd argue Layton and Phoenix Wright are still iconic but third parties are different beasts all together.

D

Deleted member

Sigma would kick the scrown.meme virus to infinity and beyond.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Banjo and Kazooie are my friends because I think there's an earnestness and gentleness to them. A lot of 90s platforming mascots prided themselves on 'tude and crudeness but Rare were just like "here's a dopey bear and a snarky bird and they're friends and she lives inside his backpack despite how absurdly inconvenient that is". There's a timeless, fairy tale quality there that I think makes them more appealing to my adult self than characters like Crash or Dreamcast-era Sonic, who I also grew up on and still have some fondness for but I think are painfully dated in a lot of ways. Like yeah, Banjo's surfer necklace and shorts are still a little bit... archaic, to put it kindly, but otherwise the duo have aged far more gracefully as characters than the vast majority of their contemporaries, in my opinion.

I also like that their moveset is all just themed around what they are. They're a bear and a bird and they're codependent on one another. Simple, and I can totally understand why some may see that as simple to a fault, but I think that gives them a sense of aesthetic cohesion that's appealing in the same way a lot of Nintendo's headliners are. It's why I think they'd fit in Smash like a glove.

Again, no knock against people who dislike 'em or anything. I get why they might not appeal to those who didn't grow up on them. I just got to thinking as to why I still liked them as much as I do, despite a lot of my childhood favourites falling out of favour with adult me's sensibilities. It's probably partially Muh N64 Nostalgia™, but I'd like to think to myself that it's not entirely that.
I only played Banjo for the first time two or three years ago on Xbox One. No nostalgia at all. And I fell in love. It’s just so.... charming! It creates a vortex that sucks you into the world. I WISH my parents had bought me an N64 so I could have grown up with them. That’s how much I love them and their games.

D

Deleted member

Why have newcomers at all when we can get mii fighter costumes? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

beans

Smash Lord
Sigma would kick the scrown.meme virus to infinity and beyond.
Just like he kicked Ultron in death battle yes im salty

At least the maverick virus lasted for more than 2 weeks.
Thats the power of a meme.
It may disappear from reality but it still exists, asleep in your consciusness. Waiting until someones sexuality faults and they need an excuse to say they want to bang bowser

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Protip: if you're starting to hate characters solely because of their presence in Smash speculation, it's time to take a step back from speculation and cool off a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom