• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
we have so many chicks in smash and people still complain about low female representation?

what happend to wanting a character just to want then and not just because "diversity"
I really dislike when someone puts diversity in air quotes as if that's somehow a negative thing.

The converse of this statement is having a non-diverse cast of 70+ characters. And that's what we're all here for, right? "Alright! They put in Metal Mario! AND FROG MARIO. OHMYGAWD."

Also, implying people couldn't possibly want a female character for any reason other than filling quotas. :laugh:

Last edited:

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Wait, does Piranha Plant count as a female villain?
Looked it up. 'Venus fly traps are not gender specific plants. They have what is known as "perfect" flowers which contain both stamens (male parts) and carpels (female parts). ' so it's both

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Ooh. We're talking about female villains?

Then allow me to suggest one... (Hint Hint look at my profile pic).
Although, if she were added into Smash, she would have to be accompanied by a certain someone.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I really dislike when someone puts diversity in air quotes as if that's somehow a negative thing.

The converse of this statement is having a non-diverse cast of 70+ characters. And that's what we're all here for, right? "Alright! They put in Metal Mario! AND FROG MARIO. OHMYGAWD."

Also, implying people couldn't possibly want a female character for any reason other than filling quotas. :laugh:
You get what Im saying. And obviously those people are an exception and not who im aiming at. hell, im the same for FEH, Id rather have male unit but I dont want a character in just because they are male

But peeps dont wants to understand or care about anything I say so this was useless

Last edited:

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Who do you guys honestly think have a chance for DLC?

SonicMario

Smash Master

Zeox

Smash Champion
Certain bosses do seem to have Male (Petey) and Female (That Mario & Luigi boss). I just don't know about the typical generic Piranha Plant which is what the playable fighter is. I'm mainly just going to say "it" in regards to Piranha Plant.
But aren't you curious about what is under that pot? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Straw-grasping powers, let's go!

Neku was made before 2014! And Dream Drop Distance, his last major cameo, was in 2013! Yeah!
Hmm. ON that note, Phoenix Wright was making quite the comeback with Dual Destinies in 2013, with his return as main protagonist, not to mention the HD trilogy coming to 3DS not too long after.

Suddenly that meeting between Sakurai and Takumi in 2016 is beginning to make all the more sense.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
The problem with female villains and game characters in general is that they tend to be pretty typical young human ladies so you're picking from a pretty homogenous pool. What I would recommend to stand out would be maybe add some Silent Hill monsters, a lot of those aside from Pyramid Head are female and you cant say they dont stand out.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hmm. ON that note, Phoenix Wright was making quite the comeback with Dual Destinies in 2013, with his return as main protagonist, not to mention the HD trilogy coming to 3DS not too long after.

Suddenly that meeting between Sakurai and Takumi in 2016 is beginning to make all the more sense.
God, you're right, and I'm excited about the possibility, but I really do hope you realize just how hard we are grasping with this circumstantial evidence.

My big thing is why would Sakurai meet with Takumi when he's not even part of the series anymore? A respect thing?

FreeFox

Smash Lord
The crucial difference here is that villains don't comprise more than 50% of the population of Earth.

Also, as someone who wants both more villains and more female characters.... this is a really, really weird comparison.
I dont get the point of how female representation is the one that needs the most helps right now. How about we instead add characters of other skin colors first then?
We have :ultganondorf::ultlittlemac:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I dont get the point of how female representation is the one that needs the most helps right now. How about we instead add characters of other skin colors first then?
Yo wait, is Little Mac not white?
Also, don't forget :ultvillager:'s alts.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
My big thing is why would Sakurai meet with Takumi when he's not even part of the series anymore? A respect thing?
Well Takumi does still partake in certain aspects of the series. He helmed the Phoenix Wright vs Layton crossover along with Hino, and that saw a localized release in 2014. And he's helping out currently with the Ace Attorney anime.

Also, Sakurai often tries to keep characters in-character to the best detail, so it makes sense he'd converse with Feenie's creator who made him a big-time icon with the trilogy.

There's also the rumors that Takumi might be returning for Ace Attorney 7.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
-Suicide confirm are indeed situational, because most of the time it was extremely hard to lead into those confirm. We rarely to never had true suicide combo.

-Multi-Hits that happens DURING the parrying annimation are however parried, some exemples I have in mind are Roy's recovery, or Ken's Burning's Shin-Shoryuken. If you parry one hit, you will parry them all.
HOWEVER Parrying doesn't let you punish everything or anything. Multihit Jabs and Fast and spaced multi hits N-air like oh my. Marth/Lucina/Chrom/Roy bypass the Parrying System as their Multi hits happens right after the parrying animation, and not "During it".

-Jab To Up-B suicide was something theorized for months for Chrom. It's actually True combo. Same goes for F-air to Up-B and N-air to Up-B. Why is that?
F-air to F-air or N-air to N-air were always true combo for Roy, and it happens that First hit of Up-B is F9 which is the same as F-air/N-air. So in your gameplay of F-air true combo, you could replace one with an Up-B.

-UP-B is a godlike OoS option with an Armor first swings, meaning it can be used to compensate the Parrying Multi-hit flaw for some hit except Multi-hit jab, get out frame 9, do 22% and can give him excellent kill option on stages with platform, even more Dreamland and BF that lead him right on the top platform

While Ledgeplay will be highly depends on the new characters mechanics. The ledge mechanics itselfs is the same as Smash4 with the only change being that you can't grab the ledge more than 4 times in a row.
Chrom have an absolute ******** Ledge pressure. With now Jab hitting under the stage which can combo in F-air/Up-B/N-air, and F-tilt being the sames, who by the way kill super early. You will have to respect him if he ever is the one on stage and you're on the ledge, and will have to think fast with the shortened invincibility or you'll get hit.

Chrom have a bad recovery when it comes into Utility off stage.
However, he have one of the most ridiculous one when it comes into potential as Trading option on stage.

Pfew... Hey look everyone! My first non-****posting post!
if chrom can overcome being crap offstage he will suceed where mac failed. you can be terrifying on stage but if you die easily offstage it doesnt matter. with characters like shiek, bayo, Isabelle, and more dying offstage for free wont do very well. the ledge may be the same the game is not. having a directional air dodge as well as a wavedash option means the ledge will not work as smash 4. parrying mutihits is based on the frames BETWEEN the hits. i watched on stream a cpu parry ridely entire neutral b fully charged.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So if I told you the Mario movie was just about a teenage Mario trying to make through high school while trying his hardest to impress the head cheerleader Peach, would you believe me?

beans

Smash Lord
So if I told you the Mario movie was just about a teenage Mario trying to make through high school while trying his hardest to impress the head cheerleader Peach, would you believe me?
Why the **** you're talking about Dragonball Evolution?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, why not both?

I'm interested in this news about DLC - who said the characters are all pre-2014?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
But the thing is, most people in Japan are of a lighter skin tone, so it makes more sense to make characters look similar to their primary audience

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Fine, three characters, my point still stands. Female representation isnt the one that needs addressing the most right.
It isn't really a game about that anyways. If anything, instead of race or gender we should be talking about Game Genre representation.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
you can be terrifying on stage but if you die easily offstage it doesnt matter. with characters like shiek, bayo, Isabelle, and more dying offstage for free wont do very well.
I mean... yeah sure...but :ultcloud: exist.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Who do you guys honestly think have a chance for DLC?
I believe Jin and Lora from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 have a decent chance. Torna the Golden Country is selling pretty well and on top of that it has mostly great reviews so far. The characters are also likeable and bad***.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Little Mac is white though. He's Italian-American; he just has a typical Italian-American tanned skin tone.
Source: Am an Irish-Italian American and my mom's side of the family has similar skin tones. :p

So really the problem is even worse, sadly. Ryu being indisputably Japanese helps somewhat though.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I believe Jin and Lora from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 have a decent chance. Torna the Golden Country is selling pretty well and on top of that it has mostly great reviews so far. The characters are also likeable and bad***.
I haven't played it. Are the DLC characters really that substantial that they would consider adding them and not the games main character?
It'd be a weird pick, but I could see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom