• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Adding new characters is perfectly fine. As long as they add every single old character I like first. /s
Also, a lot of people that were complaining about FE and KI getting characters despite not selling much were also complaining about WFT and Miis.

It's not like people want AAA title characters, they want the characters they like and then look for justification.

Female villains who should be added into Smash:
-The Enchantress
I don't accept constructive criticism.
How about destructive criticism? ;)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Female villains who should be added into Smash:
-The Enchantress
I don't accept constructive criticism.
I can't believe Suicide Squad got a character in Smash.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Not really because what matters is how cool or unique or fun the character is rather than gender or being a villain.
But some people may find only male characters cool or only female characters cool, or only villains cool.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Cue "we don't need to fill quotas!" complaints from people that were rooting for more villains.
It has and always will depend on the options available. In Smash 4 we absolutely needed more female characters due to there being a plethora of great ones to pick from, some which had been neglected in Brawl and some which had popped up or gained popularity since. Similarly Ultimate needed villains because some of the most popular requests left were such, going forward we're not going to see the same demand for them since Ridley, K. Rool and Wolf were more or less responsible for that.

At this point most bases are fairly well covered, saying we need something like a female villain is nowhere nearly as broad a request as the ones I mentioned above, we're slowly getting into specifics at that point. I do think there is some value in making sure you have certain archetypes on the roster mind you, so I wouldn't necessarily agree that no quotas need to be filled, but it should at most be half of the reason for the character's inclusion (and that's being generous), the other half should be the character being able to stand up for itself regardless of role, gender and what have you.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
first off a suicide confirm is in itself situational.
combos that rely on a move like nair when we have parrying isn't going to go well.
we dont know if this is true combo or not.
-Suicide confirm are indeed situational, because most of the time it was extremely hard to lead into those confirm. We rarely to never had true suicide combo.

-Multi-Hits that happens DURING the parrying annimation are however parried, some exemples I have in mind are Roy's recovery, or Ken's Burning's Shin-Shoryuken. If you parry one hit, you will parry them all.
HOWEVER Parrying doesn't let you punish everything or anything. Multihit Jabs and Fast and spaced multi hits N-air like oh my. Marth/Lucina/Chrom/Roy bypass the Parrying System as their Multi hits happens right after the parrying animation, and not "During it".

-Jab To Up-B suicide was something theorized for months for Chrom. It's actually True combo. Same goes for F-air to Up-B and N-air to Up-B. Why is that?
F-air to F-air or N-air to N-air were always true combo for Roy, and it happens that First hit of Up-B is F9 which is almost the same as F-air/N-air who are F8. So in your gameplay of F-air true combo, you could replace one with an Up-B.

-UP-B is a godlike OoS option with an Armor first swings, meaning it can be used to compensate the Parrying Multi-hit flaw for some hit except Multi-hit jab, get out frame 9, do 22% and can give him excellent kill option on stages with platform, even more Dreamland and BF that lead him right on the top platform

until we know more about ledge play assuming that any particular strategy on the ledge will work because it worked in older games is not a good idea.
While Ledgeplay will be highly depends on the new characters mechanics. The ledge mechanics itselfs is the same as Smash4 with the only change being that you can't grab the ledge more than 6 times in a row.
Chrom have an absolute ******** Ledge pressure. With now Jab hitting under the stage which can combo in F-air/Up-B/N-air, and F-tilt being the sames, who by the way kill super early. You will have to respect him if he ever is the one on stage and you're on the ledge, and will have to think fast with the shortened invincibility or you'll get hit.

Chrom have a bad recovery when it comes into Utility off stage.
However, he have one of the most ridiculous one when it comes into potential as Trading option on stage.

Pfew... Hey look everyone! My first non-****posting post!

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I think diversity is generally a good thing, and not even in a "we need to fill quotas of certain groups" way, but rather just in that it's more interesting having different types of characters. Katalina, as much as she doesn't deserve a spot, at least is a female ice elemental in addition to being a sword user. That's different than the sword fighters we have, and by extension more interesting than a lot of the "serious faced gotta stop evil with my spiky haired determination" RPG protagonists that get bandied around.

As a side note, I think villains are usually a lot more interesting than protagonists by virtue of the fact they don't need to conform to the representative/gameplay restrictions that protagonists do. Gamers feel more connection to a little angsty dude trying to save the world than they do to a megalomaniac who shoots lighting, so guess who become the player character? And Mario would be a very different (and easier) game if you were a giant fire breathing dragon-turtle. Protagonist powers need to be capped (at least until the end) compared to the bad guys'.

By their very nature as a foil for the hero, villains needs to be better, more dangerous, and memorable. Hence why I think they make good fighting game characters.

D

Deleted member

Well he did say cool or unique or fun. Echoes may not be unique, but they can still be cool and fun
So people can find female characters or villains cool and fun.
Legit talk though, I tend to tilt towards female characters by default when I have no idea about the game's characters since they usually have better fashion sense than men.
And villains are usually my favorite characters from most stories, though I'm not strong on mechanical villains like K.Rool who don't even have the goofball personality of Bowser.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Straw-grasping powers, let's go!

Neku was made before 2014! And Dream Drop Distance, his last major cameo, was in 2013! Yeah!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Also, a lot of people that were complaining about FE and KI getting characters despite not selling much were also complaining about WFT and Miis.

It's not like people want AAA title characters, they want the characters they like and then look for justification.

How about destructive criticism? ;)
Like i said before, a lot of people in the Smash community only hang onto Nintendo systens today because of Smash itself. They played older games as a kid but have since moved on from Nintendo, but the nostalgia, desire, and pure love for their childhood games and characters remains strong.

It explains why the big name characters across social media are mostly oldies.

It makes sense since Nintendo peaked for the hardcore gamer during the SNES/GB era.

So yes on here you will find many people upset about Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and Animal Crossing. It is too new to them. They play other games along with Smash.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I mean...
Villains: :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultwolf::ultpiranha::ultmewtwo:
Female: :ultbayonetta::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultzss::ultsamus: (:ultdarksamus:?)
Have female alts::ultinkling::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters:
Female characters still win.... unless you count the Koopalings alts as individual characters, then Villains wins.
But honestly who the heck cares, it doesn't matters if the character is a girl, a boy, a rotten piece of garbage or the purest cinamon roll, what it matters is that they make people happy! and that's why Hat kid from A hat in time should be in the next Mario Kart.

D

Deleted member

I hope the rumors for Lloyd are true because he would be the perfect rep for the 2nd bamco slot

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I hope Travis makes it this time, he's definitely the character I want the most for DLC.
I feel like it can happen, although whoever gets revealed as the first character for the line-up may sway my opinion.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Some awful person would olny find villains cool.
By the way my mains are Bowser, Ganondorf, Bowser Jr. and probably Ridley and K. Rool too (and Dark Samus)
Exactly. You play as villains, and Dyllybirdy and I play as females. Everyone has their tastes

D

Deleted member

I mean...
Villains: :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultwolf::ultpiranha::ultmewtwo:
Female: :ultbayonetta::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultzss::ultsamus: (:ultdarksamus:?)
Have female alts::ultinkling::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters:
Female characters still win.... unless you count the Koopalings alts as individual characters, then Villains wins.
But honestly who the heck cares, it doesn't matters if the character is a girl, a boy, a rotten piece of garbage or the purest cinamon roll, what it matters is that they make people happy! and that's why Hat kid from A hat in time should be in the next Mario Kart.
Villains are a more oppressed group than gamers.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I mean...
The crucial difference here is that villains don't comprise more than 50% of the population of Earth.

Also, as someone who wants both more villains and more female characters.... this is a really, really weird comparison.

beans

Smash Lord
I mean...
Inkling and WFT are female first and did you know Pikachu Libre is a girl?
Also, Dark Samus is confirmed female. They even reuploaded a smash blog post because they referred her as an "it" the first time

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I hope the rumors for Lloyd are true because he would be the perfect rep for the 2nd bamco slot
I have to agree that he makes perfect sense. But I also think Yuri makes perfect sense as well. I'd be fine with either

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I can't believe Suicide Squad got a character in Smash.
Dude. Unexpected main in Injustice 2.

Too bad she came after the meta was already borked by Starfire & co.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean...
Don't forget Villager, Pokémon Trainer, and Pikachu all have female alts. And Wendy is a female alt, too

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
And here I am just liking characters for who they are as a whole instead of forcing myself to like a character because that character fits within a certain group

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I mean...
Real female villain hours

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
we have so many chicks in smash and people still complain about low female representation?

what happend to wanting a character just to want then and not just because "diversity"
I don't want them in for diversity, I want them in because I prefer to play as females

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom