• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You know what we need? Ultimate icons for the Switch. I need a Zelda icon.

Mr. Z and 27 others

Smash Rookie
Anyone else preorder via Amazon?

I feel like it's a bit of a risk since it could arrive late, I have never used the service before.

Naturally, I preordered ASAP after E3, so I got that 10% discount bay-beeee

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

I feel like it's a bit of a risk since it could arrive late, I have never used the service before.

I did for that discount but like they just ****ed up delivering one of my packages so if it gets delayed i'm just hauling ass to the store lmao

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Joker in Smash would probably piss more people off than generate hype because mainline SMT fans would be angry as ****

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Look at this.

This is the next peak evolution of Ganoncide.

The Chromcide combo.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So, who is your favorite Echo Fighter? Mine is :ultdarksamus:.
:ultdaisy: And :ultdarksamus:.

:ultdaisy: because I'm one of the few people who doesn't find her obnoxious, and also because it irritated me seeing people act like she never stood a chance against Waluigi and Geno. Memoryman tainted her a little, but she deserved to get in.

:ultdarksamus: because I initially thought a Ridley Mii costume would be the best "realistic" outcome for new Metroid representation. Glad to see I was wrong and two long-time favorites made the roster.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I preorded my copy from Gamestop. Hopefully it'll be here by Day 1.
Joker in Smash would probably piss more people off than generate hype because mainline SMT fans would be angry as ****
I think it'd be best to have both Joker and a mainline SMT rep like Flynn.

D

Deleted member

:ultdaisy: And :ultdarksamus:.

:ultdaisy: because I'm one of the few people who doesn't find her obnoxious, and also because it irritated me seeing people act like she never stood a chance against Waluigi and Geno. Memoryman tainted her a little, but she deserved to get in.

:ultdarksamus: because I initially thought a Ridley Mii costume would be the best "realistic" outcome for new Metroid representation. Glad to see I was wrong and two long-time favorites made the roster.
Who is Memoryman?

monadoboy

Smash Lord
so they basically lied to most of us? But why would they do that, even. Sure, to keep the ones mad thst it isnt a core game happy but then you go and say "oh btw, Lets go is a core game"
I wouldn't be surprised. Game Freak is by far the scummiest of all the Nintendo-related developers.
They're lazy and love to look for any excuse to cut content.
Some examples:
  • Removed legendary Pokemon events in favor of dumb and boring mystery gifts.
  • Using nostalgia as an excuse to cut 700+ Pokemon from Let's Go
  • Instead of replacing the game corner with a minigame they just removed it.
  • Never updating the first games in a generation so people have to buy the new games (You want Zeraora in Sun/Moon, **** you, buy the Ultra versions)
  • The ridiculous excuse Masuda gave to justify the exclusion of the battle frontier in ORAS
But who cares? People will still buy Pokemon as it slowly goes to ****, anyway. Now that Let's Go is a success they have a perfectly justifiable way to keep pumping out lackluster games with loads of cut content and pander them as "nostalgia."

At this point, the Switch game needs to be a masterpiece for me to even consider getting it. It's getting harder and harder to trust them. Why bother if they're going to release a newer, shinier version with more Pokemon later? Then cut them all from a lame nostalgia-pandering remake anyway lol

But who cares? **** the long time fans, they're just crybabies, now pay Game Freak 60 bucks for a game that has less content than a ****ing 3DS game !! Eevee is cute uwu

Bionichute

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be surprised. Game Freak is by far the scummiest of all the Nintendo-related developers.
Some examples:
  • Never updating the first games in a generation so people have to buy the new games (You want Zeraora in Sun/Moon, **** you, buy the Ultra versions)
  • The ridiculous excuse Masuda gave to justify the exclusion of the battle frontier in ORAS
But who cares? People will still buy Pokemon as it slowly goes to ****, anyway. Now that Let's Go is a success they have a perfectly justifiable way to keep pumping out lackluster games with loads of cut content and pander them as "nostalgia."

At this point, the Switch game needs to be a masterpiece for me to even consider getting it. It's getting harder and harder to trust them. Why bother if they're going to release a newer, shinier version with more Pokemon later? Then cut them all from a lame nostalgia-pandering remake anyway lol

But who cares? **** the long time fans, they're just crybabies, now pay Game Freak 60 bucks for a game that has less content than a ****ing 3DS game !! Eevee is cute uwu
have you heard the good word of our savior yokai watch

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hold the phone

Some finished classic with donkey kong

And Rosalina was the challenger
Did they already have Pokemon Trainer and/or Pichu unlocked? If not, some characters might have a few multiple characters it can be for the first character they unlock after beating their Classic Mode. While some do have only specific ones it can be for their first unless they're already unlocked.

D

Deleted member

Some examples:

Hey man, if Pokemon's got you down, give Shin Megami Tensei a try.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Some examples:

THANK YOU! See, this is why I don't trust the lets go eevee and pikachu because it was really Pokémon go in swtich disguise and the fact that it was pandering to nostagia (attempt to get people who loved gen 1 back)

Seriously, **** whose thought those decisions were okay or enough good, it will come back to bite them in ass later very hard

D

Deleted member

So if Radien from Metal Gear Solid were to get in, would you rather have him as an Echo Fighter of Snake (MGS 2 Raiden), a semi-clone of Snake that shares three specials, but wields a blade and takes some moves from Metal Gear Rising (MGS 4 Raiden), or just have him be his own character (MGR Raiden)?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
So if Radien from Metal Gear Solid were to get in, would you rather have him as an Echo Fighter of Snake (MGS 2 Raiden), a semi-clone of Snake that shares three specials, but wields a blade and takes some moves from Metal Gear Rising (MGS 4 Raiden), or just have him be his own character (MGR Raiden)?
if i wanted raiden in smash i'd just go play playstation allstars

D

Deleted member

I wish that the Pokéball joycon could be used outside of Let’s Go!

I only want that thing, and not the game.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
What about her design is so refreshing if I could ask?

Also, I don't think it's fair to say she'd be our first non-clone female Fire Emblem character. Mostly because the vast majority of people seem to treat the female Corrin as the base character haha.
Mostly her colour scheme I'd say.
Yeah, you do.

Because these are basic-*** reasons that don't justify a Smash inclusion for me.

At that point, you might as well start pushing ****ing concept art for all it matters.
First of all, there's no reason for you to come at me with pent-up aggression like that. Back off.

Second of all, Sakurai has picked characters for less than that.

Thirdly, it's a friendly discussion. We don't know much about Edelguard still and I myself am annoyed Nintendo hasn't given us any updates on Three Houses six months after reveal. That's pretty much the gist of what we know, if you're that angry about it then I suggest you cool off and rethink your priorities.
I can agree with both sides to the extent that the character may end up being well-liked once we get to know her, but at the same time, trying to promote a character you're not sure you'll like is pretty damn awful. Here are the Pros and Cons:
+Uses an axe, which in itself is under-utilized in Smash
+Her base color combination is pretty top-tier (just look at Dante, or Ragna, or Emiya, or Karna for examples)
-Uses an axe, which is generally swung around like a sword, except it's really chunky where it counts
-Is a character we have no meaningful context to draw from beyond knowing she will be an important character for an upcoming title

Like I said, she could be a cool character if we end up getting her, but if we get a Three Houses rep, it would probably end up being Byleth for all we know. Regardless, we should not let DLC ruin the fun of speculation, nor deter us from getting the DLC anyway. **** it, who knows? If Nintendo has no plans for future DLC beyond our Fighter's Pass despite other games getting updates, they need another reason to continue supporting Ultimate. Knowing Nintendo though, they always find a way to "miraculously" shoot themselves in the foot.
You have the right idea. I won't lose any sleep if Edelguard doesn't make it, especially since we don't know much about her still and seems to have timing against her, but at the end of the day we're just here to have fun speculation.
I really hope it's not Byleth though, I'm so sick of avatars IS would you please stop

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
THANK YOU! See, this is why I don't trust the lets go eevee and pikachu because it was really Pokémon go in swtich disguise and the fact that it was pandering to nostagia (attempt to get people who loved gen 1 back)

Seriously, **** whose thought those decisions were okay or enough good, it will come back to bite them in *** later very hard
And to mention that some Japanese fans even ****ing complained about let's go and they ****ing hated the game, that's so messed on many level.

They also think that Masuda was idiot, boy, were they right according to some example that monadoboy monadoboy mentioned.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
let them cry. They're both good series. Enjoy both for their own merits. Ideally I'd want both Flynn and Joker so yknow.
MGS2 or 4, no question. Rising is a spinoff so it's not the most accurate way to represent the character. Plus, **** man I just want more 4 representation because it's my favorite. It's weird how all the Spirits were from V or 4 (with a handful of 1's art) and then Rising Raiden but that's definitely a Konami thing.

D

Deleted member

let them cry. They're both good series. Enjoy both for their own merits. Ideally I'd want both Flynn and Joker so yknow.

MGS2 or 4, no question. Rising is a spinoff so it's not the most accurate way to represent the character. Plus, **** man I just want more 4 representation because it's my favorite. It's weird how all the Spirits were from V or 4 (with a handful of 1's art) and then Rising Raiden but that's definitely a Konami thing.
I at one point wanted Snake to come back as Old Snake.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I at one point wanted Snake to come back as Old Snake.
God, same. I love Old Snake. Smash Snake is hilarious to me because he's this weird amalgamation of MGS1 Snake, Big Boss, and Twin Snakes' sneaking suit, but it would be nice to have each Snake as an actual design just to make it more accurate to continuity. Do love how his moveset is a big MG2 shout-out though. I can't hate Smash's version of Snake at all even if it isn't accurate to a single version.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Snake, his classic mode was revealed on Youtube.

Also, in regards to Persona and SMT, I'd advocate for both getting into Smash.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
What's this about 2014 being the cut off for DLC characters? I thought the point of DLC was to incorporate characters that for one reason or another, could not be in the base game . If they did not start them until shortly before the game was finished, then it shouldn't really have mattered when they were released. However, on the bright side, it would throw the "Nintendo will just pick characters for marketing purposes like with Corrin" thing out the window.

Looking at my list of potential characters, most of them were in games long before that, but they're also spirits. Honestly, either Spirits mean nothing at all, or we're just getting those few bizarrely missing spirits (Porky and co.) and 3rd parties. I really hope Monster Hunter is not the Capcom rep though, mainly because it would ruin the chances of mah boi Phoenix Wright with Edgeworth as an echo. Those two are the only non-pipe-dreams I genuinely want who aren't spirits.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
God, same. I love Old Snake. Smash Snake is hilarious to me because he's this weird amalgamation of MGS1 Snake, Big Boss, and Twin Snakes' sneaking suit, but it would be nice to have each Snake as an actual design just to make it more accurate to continuity. Do love how his moveset is a big MG2 shout-out though. I can't hate Smash's version of Snake at all even if it isn't accurate to a single version.
I just wish Snake had all the different versions as alt costumes. Have a Big Boss costume, have an Old Snake costume, maybe even Punished Snake (Though that one does present more issues content wise potentially). Hell, maybe even take it a little bit further with Liquid and Solidus alt costumes maybe? I know those last two are probably not really feasible, but it would be so cool.

Smash just needs to include more alt costumes and I’ve never understood why more hasn’t been done in that regard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom