• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Unrelated to any conversation but I'm sick to death of people calling Corrin a Nintendo promotional pick and other bull****.

Corrin was not added to Smash 4 to promote Fire Emblem Fates.

Corrin was added because the Smash 4 dev team thought they were cool.

Its a ****ing dragon-human hybrid there is a damn good reason they thought they would be a good character.

So yea, to the Smash community please stop with this misconception that Corrin was added by Nintendo for promotional purposes. Sakurai was even hesitant to add Corrin ffs.

Sorry I just had to vent I guess :p

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Unrelated to any conversation but I'm sick to death of people calling Corrin a Nintendo promotional pick and other bull****.

Its a ****ing dragon-human hybrid there is a damn good reason they thought they would be a good character.

So yea, to the Smash community please stop with this misconception that Corrin was added by Nintendo for promotional purposes. Sakurai was even hesitant to add Corrin ffs.

Actually, they said they were looking to the recent titles.

That being said, yeah, I don't like how people act like the reason of Corrin's inclusion should overshadow their popularity (female Corrin is pretty high there) and moveset.

D

Deleted member

While this is true, Corrin was also added to promote a new game (see https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/21/the-corrin-controversy/). Even if we are to assume that Corrin was chosen entirely for moveset potential, we have Roy as an example of a character being chosen solely for promotion. So I suppose it doesn’t matter much.

D

Deleted member

Corrin is cool.

osby

Smash Obsessed
While this is true, Corrin was also added to promote a new game (see https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/21/the-corrin-controversy/). Even if we are to assume that Corrin was chosen entirely for moveset potential, we have Roy as an example of a character being chosen solely for promotion. So I suppose it doesn’t matter much.
Eh, Roy's case was a bit "we need clones, and we need them now" situation. I don't think Sakurai gone to Int Sys with promotion in mind.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Corrin's great! :)

I don't see why people have a problem with her/him...

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Corrin's great! :)

I don't see why people have a problem with her/him...
I think it was mostly because we were expecting something huge that we all really wanted and would have been excited for (King K. Rool was what I was betting on). And we got a character that, AT THE TIME, nobody in America knew or wanted.

D

Deleted member

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it was mostly because we were expecting something huge that we all really wanted and would have been excited for (King K. Rool was what I was betting on). And we got a character that, AT THE TIME, nobody in America knew or wanted.
That doesn't explain why some people are still so emotional about them almost two years later.

Good. Now that f***er can know what it’s like to suffer as a third partt developer.

Oh god I accidentally double posted! Please don’t give me a strike or something!
Too late, mods are coming to your house right now.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Corrin's "spot" was a promotional "spot" but you are completely correct in that it could've been anything. The whole "We are DEFINITELY getting Edelgard because they ALWAYS pick a promotional Fire Emblem character!!" is exhausting and also false anyway.

For the record I didn't get that excited about Corrin because I had my own major issues with Fates, namely the handling of Soleil in the Japanese version, but that's a whole other can of worms. I like Corrin now.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace

If they *just* wanted a dragon hybrid we should've gotten Ryu from Breath of Fire. (and then Nina would be on the table)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't know if anyone has floated this idea around or not, but what if additional bosses were planned to be added through free updates in a vein similar to Splatoon?

That would explain why Porky is missing, and that would also explain why Verge's Minecraft boss is missing from the base game.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That doesn't explain why some people are still so emotional about them almost two years later.

Too late, mods are coming to your house right now.
I gotta admit, even during that first Everyone is Here trailer, when Corrin poped up they were the only character I wasn’t excited for. With each consecutive reveal my hype grew and grew, but then Corrin showed up and I just plateaued for a second. And it’s all because of that initial experience. Even though I have played as her and like how she plays, that experience has just permanently soured my opinion.

Corrin's "spot" was a promotional "spot" but you are completely correct in that it could've been anything. The whole "We are DEFINITELY getting Edelgard because they ALWAYS pick a promotional Fire Emblem character!!" is exhausting and also false anyway.

For the record I didn't get that excited about Corrin because I had my own major issues with Fates, namely the handling of Soleil in the Japanese version, but that's a whole other can of worms. I like Corrin now.
I think it’s more the timing of how Three Houses is actually releasing during the dlc period. Hey, I could be wrong (and hope I am) but you assume the best and prepare for the worst n

Flyboy

Smash Hero
From what I understand, the process went something like this:

Nintendo: "Hey maybe put in a character to promote one of our upcoming games! We have a lot on the Wii U and 3DS coming up."
Sakurai: "Okay."
Team: "Hey, we like Fire Emblem. Maybe Kamui?"
Sakurai: "I dunno, guys, there's Yoshi's Woolly World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and even Wonderful 101 on the table. We added two new Fire Emblem characters last game. Maybe we should wait?"
Team: "Yeah but this one can turn into a dragon, representing more of the series in Manaketes AND promoting the upcoming game!"
Sakurai: "Oh, yeah, that could be cool. Let's see how this goes."

I still contend that even if every single DLC pick was "promotional" it would've been a great selection. Not that I would have taken Wonder Red or Yarn Yoshi over Ryu or Cloud, but it wouldn't have been the end of the world. Sure, I wish the promotional choice was a different one (cough Elma cough) but I'm stoked we got Bayonetta as she was one of the highest on my wants list.

This is why I trust the Fighters Pass. No matter what, I'm sure I'll get a character I like in there somewhere and even ones I don't know about or even have bias against I'll come around to due to moveset potential because I've never been steered wrong before and have no reason to pretend it'll happen today.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If you only ever try one of them, I recommend Breath of Fire 3. Still one of the best fishing mini games ever AND your worst party member is a deity in a trash can, just sayin'.
Oh, okay, I thought it got something to do with Corrin.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I heard the rumor about a Metroid prime trilogy coming to the switch and I’m aware it’s from spawn wave

So Metroid prime 4 might be shown there

If that’s the case and they show the first package it could be sylux

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't know if anyone has floated this idea around or not, but what if additional bosses were planned to be added through free updates in a vein similar to Splatoon?

That would explain why Porky is missing, and that would also explain why Verge's Minecraft boss is missing from the base game.
Oh my god yes! I want this!

Top 11 DLC bosses I want in Smash Ultimate (Tabuu is still in the base game right?)
  1. King Wart
  2. Porky Minch
  3. Medeus
  4. Giygas
  5. Hades
  6. Dr. Eggman
  7. M. Bison
  8. Sephiroth
  9. Ancient Ogre
  10. Gruntilda/Ender Dragon (See m previous ideas about a “Microsoft Pack”
  11. Smithy
I heard the rumor about a Metroid prime trilogy coming to the switch and I’m aware it’s from spawn wave
So Metroid prime 4 might be shown there

If that’s the case and they show the first package it could be sylux
I genuinely forgot about Prime 4. I’d love to be wrong and have the upcoming promotional pick be Sylux instead of Edelgard (Especially sense we’re all pretty sure he’s going to play a big part in that game)

But I’m pretty sure they’re gonna reveal the Square Character, as Verge’s intel insists they’re first.

D

Deleted member

I want to see news on Prime 4 at the Game Awards a lot.

If they also reveal the other 3 titles of the Metroid Prime series coming to Switch, it would be epic.

D

Deleted member

If Sylux re-appears in prime 4, I hope they redesign him. His original look is blocky and polygonal, full of sharp shapes. I think he needs a redesign to make him more refined and detailed.

D

Deleted member

I have decided that the first thing I'm gonna do in Ultimate is play on the Battlefield version of Final Destination.
Broke: starting Ultimate with the Story Mode.
Woke: this post i quoted.

One more thing: someone should edit a picture of the roster in the game to replace every fighter with their respective meme counterparts (Sonic with Sanic, Kirby with Kirb, Samus with Sams, K.Rool with his cartoon form, etc...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom