• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I have a compromise.
View attachment 181024
I don't know why this exists.
Nocturne has some truly bizarre crossover art out there, but I think it's part of the charm. Dante is the original outlier, after all. Also, these exist too:
tumblr_o0phd5LzUY1rq21ojo1_500.jpg

tumblr_o0phd5LzUY1rq21ojo2_500.jpg

They're quite clever, actually. My favorite one is Mettaton because he's literally the Voice of the nearest thing there is to God from his POV. Bonus points for them being mechanical.

I think I like this image the most overall though.
Comfy.jpg

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Nocturne has some truly bizarre crossover art out there, but I think it's part of the charm. Dante is the original outlier, after all. Also, these exist too:
View attachment 181027
View attachment 181028
They're quite clever, actually. My favorite one is Mettaton because he's literally the Voice of the nearest thing there is to God from his POV. Bonus points for them being mechanical.

I think I like this image the most overall though.
And of course, the follow-up
Demifiend Giving Advice.jpg

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Before the datamined. I guess Medusa was a boss for Isabelle since when you add up all the female playable characters, it's only 22. But I dismissed that with the first datamining. If this is true, then Medusa is likely the boss for Isabelle and Pit.
Isabelle vs Medusa?

Would watch this with Isabelle go HAM

D

Deleted member

Yes they did

Although Yoshi is missing Chrom and Lucario for his route, Red is missing King Dedede and Sheik with Sheik ALSO being unlocked via Dedede, Samus also being unlocked via Captain Falcon, and Peach possibly unlocking Wolf

Hope this helps!
Thanks man. I'm not sure why Sakurai made unlocking characters in Ultimate the equivalent of solving a damn riddle, but oh well.

D

Deleted member

So, I had this idea for a new Kid Icarus game.

Story: The game takes place 2 years after Kid Icarus Uprising. After the fall of Hades, peace was restored for the world for awhile. That is, until a new threat arrives to disturb the peace. A sinister group of otherworldy deities arrivies to disturb the peace. Call themselves the The Ninihil, these deities wreak havoc on the world in the belief of of a duty to punish mankind. Naturally, Pit and Palutenia rush to the aid of mankind, confident they will win like always. But unfortunately, the tables turn on them. In a fight with the seven leaders of Ninhil, Pyro, Atria, Xi, Levais, Otcia, Ozma, and the head of Ninhil, Hugo, Pit is presumably killed, and Skyworld is overrun, leaving the fate of Palutenia unknown.

A short time later, we meet the protagonist of the game, Atlas. Atlas is a soldier of the Republic of Man, a massive alliance of humans that are fighting against Ninhil. One day, Atlas's home town is attack by Ninhil. Despite his best efforts, his town is burned to the ground, along with it's residents. Furious, Atlas engages Ninhil, but is not match for them and gravely wounded. Then, Hugo murders Atlas's entire family in front of him. In a rage, Atlas tries to kill Hugo, but is nearly killed. Just before he is killed, Hugo spares Atlas by granting Atlas new powers, claiming "The wheels of fate have been set in motion." Then he and Ninhil leave Atlas for dead.

Sometimes later, Atlas wakes up in a strange white room, with a new power surging through him and black energy wings sprouting from his back. He is then greeted by Athena and Zeus, mother and father of Palutenia, and claims that, for some reason, he was bestowed new abilites by Hugo, saving his life. Athena and Zeus also tells him that the struggle against Ninhil is growing more and more deadly, with countless lives being lost in the war. Struck with grief and anger, Hugo swears nothing but vengence against Hugo and Ninhil. Then, Athena and Zeus offer a bargain to help Atlas get his revenge. After the death of Pit and the fall of Skyworld, the world is in need of a new champion. Zeus and Athena agree to train Atlas to master his power, in exchange for his service. Atlas agrees.

A year worth of training later, Atlas is the commander of Zeus and Athena's army. He then recives word of a nearby city being attacked. Revenge in his mind, Atlas sets out, and the game begins.

Gameplay: I wanted the game to be an old-school 2D action platformers in the same vein as games like Kirby, Mega Man X, Castlevania, and Contra. Atlas has two methods of attacking.

The 1st is through melee weapons. The weapons are Swords, Spears, Axes, Whips, Greatswords, Claws, Staffs, even his own fists. The Y button is used for light attacks, and the X button is used for heavy attacks. Along with directional inputs, the two can be combined for combos, similar to some of Kirby's copy abilities like Sword and Fighter.

The 2nd method of attacking is through the use of his powers for long range attacks. Pressing the A button will allow Atlas to fire projectiles at enemies. If you hold the R button, you can use the control stick to use 360 aim, like in Metroid: Samus Return. But firing projectile beams isn't the only method of long range combat. Atlas can also throw grenades and fire missles of pure energy at foes, as well as blasting enemies in the face with a close range blast and using powers of other elements like fire, ice, and lightning. Basically, imagine Atlas's long range combat as if Cole Macgrath from Infamous were in a 2D platformer.

Atlas also has other powers, such as defensive powers like forcefields, offensive powers like grabbing and draining enemies of their health, and other powers like immunity to fire and such.
Flight sections also return. They're the same as they were in Uprising, execpt this time Atlas is just blasting enemies into pieces with his powers.

That's what I've come up with so far. What do you think?

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725

Story: The game takes place 2 years after Kid Icarus Uprising. After the fall of Hades, peace was restored for the world for awhile. That is, until a new threat arrives to disturb the peace. A sinister group of otherworldy deities arrivies to disturb the peace. Call themselves the The Ninihil, these deities wreak havoc on the world in the belief of of a duty to punish mankind. Naturally, Pit and Palutenia rush to the aid of mankind, confident they will win like always. But unfortunately, the tables turn on them. In a fight with the seven leaders of Ninhil, Pyro, Atria, Xi, Levais, Otcia, Ozma, and the head of Ninhil, Hugo, Pit is presumably killed, and Skyworld is overrun, leaving the fate of Palutenia unknown.

A short time later, we meet the protagonist of the game, Atlas. Atlas is a soldier of the Republic of Man, a massive alliance of humans that are fighting against Ninhil. One day, Atlas's home town is attack by Ninhil. Despite his best efforts, his town is burned to the ground, along with it's residents. Furious, Atlas engages Ninhil, but is not match for them and gravely wounded. Then, Hugo murders Atlas's entire family in front of him. In a rage, Atlas tries to kill Hugo, but is nearly killed. Just before he is killed, Hugo spares Atlas by granting Atlas new powers, claiming "The wheels of fate have been set in motion." Then he and Ninhil leave Atlas for dead.

Sometimes later, Atlas wakes up in a strange white room, with a new power surging through him and black energy wings sprouting from his back. He is then greeted by Athena and Zeus, mother and father of Palutenia, and claims that, for some reason, he was bestowed new abilites by Hugo, saving his life. Athena and Zeus also tells him that the struggle against Ninhil is growing more and more deadly, with countless lives being lost in the war. Struck with grief and anger, Hugo swears nothing but vengence against Hugo and Ninhil. Then, Athena and Zeus offer a bargain to help Atlas get his revenge. After the death of Pit and the fall of Skyworld, the world is in need of a new champion. Zeus and Athena agree to train Atlas to master his power, in exchange for his service. Atlas agrees.

A year worth of training later, Atlas is the commander of Zeus and Athena's army. He then recives word of a nearby city being attacked. Revenge in his mind, Atlas sets out, and the game begins.

Gameplay: I wanted the game to be an old-school 2D action platformers in the same vein as games like Kirby, Mega Man X, Castlevania, and Contra. Atlas has two methods of attacking.

The 1st is through melee weapons. The weapons are Swords, Spears, Axes, Whips, Greatswords, Claws, Staffs, even his own fists. The Y button is used for light attacks, and the X button is used for heavy attacks. Along with directional inputs, the two can be combined for combos, similar to some of Kirby's copy abilities like Sword and Fighter.

The 2nd method of attacking is through the use of his powers for long range attacks. Pressing the A button will allow Atlas to fire projectiles at enemies. If you hold the R button, you can use the control stick to use 360 aim, like in Metroid: Samus Return. But firing projectile beams isn't the only method of long range combat. Atlas can also throw grenades and fire missles of pure energy at foes, as well as blasting enemies in the face with a close range blast and using powers of other elements like fire, ice, and lightning. Basically, imagine Atlas's long range combat as if Cole Macgrath from Infamous were in a 2D platformer.

Atlas also has other powers, such as defensive powers like forcefields, offensive powers like grabbing and draining enemies of their health, and other powers like immunity to fire and such.
Flight sections also return. They're the same as they were in Uprising, execpt this time Atlas is just blasting enemies into pieces with his powers.

I would remove all the Kid icarus parts of it and make it its own IP, as taking the focus away from Pit and Palutena makes it less...Kid Icarus and more like some kind of OC Fan Fic, but the actual setup would work as its own seperate, original world. 7 rogue gods ruining a world of men.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

That's pretty cool, but I think it should be its own game. There isn't much to do with Kid Icarus.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I want reasons now.

Hau is one of the worst rivals and Wally has a better character arc than him in less time.
To me, Hau made me feel like the roles were reversed when it came to rivalries. Those times where you were chasing after Blue or Silver? You're the one that Hau is chasing after to try and beat. It's 100% purely friendly, but you're his antagonist and much like Wally (who I do like better,) you're the biggest obstacle in the game for them to overcome.

Hau in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon was better, but to me it ends up coming down to a matter of taste in character. Hau's that really nice kid who genuinely did nothing wrong. The problem is that his personality gets exposed more evidently when compared to other challengers like Gladion or anyone who isn't quite as overwhelmingly "pleasant" as him.

I personally don't mind him.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hot take:

Gameplay and story-wise Sun and Moon is probably the weakest entry we've gotten in the mainline Pokemon series.

However, it did give us kick *** Pokemon designs like Lycanroc, Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina, Buzzwole, and a whole lot more.
I mean...

Ultra Sun and Moon are even weaker, story wise.

They took out the one unique thing about Sun and Moon (Lusamine's particular brand of villainy) and replaced it with the Ultra Recon Squad and Giovanni.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Look, you wanna know why I don't like the unlock thing? I'm 16 years old. I go to high school 6 hours a day, and I only have 3 hours of privacy time. It will take months to unlock everything. Before you mention summer vacation, I'm usually busy around then too.
You have 3 free hours every day?!? Enjoy that while it lasts.

D

Deleted member

I would remove all the Kid icarus parts of it and make it its own IP, as taking the focus away from Pit and palutena makes it less...Kid Icarus and more like some kind of OC Fan Fic, but the actual setup would work as its own seperate, original world. 7 rogue gods ruining a world of men.
That's pretty cool, but I think it should be its own game. There isn't much to do with Kid Icarus.
Characters like Viridi, Phospohera, Magnus, Pandora, and others make an appearance. Also in regards to Pit and Palutenia, neither are actually dead. Cliche as it may be, Pit was basically warped into a servant of the bad guys after he got his ass handed to him, and Palutenia was turned to stone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie, I'd feel slighted if every brand new game and beyond makes it into Smash Ultimate all throughout each potential DLC Wave while Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and ARMS are thrown under the bus despite their relative successes. It's understandable that there will be neither in our Fighter's Pass, but I hope Nintendo can strong-arm Sakurai into including Rex and Spring Man in a future pack eventually, with Spring-Tron as an Assist Trophy substitute for the latter.

Sakurai: "We couldn't include Rex or Spring Man because they're too new."

Also Sakurai: "Lol enjoy Byleth and your new Gen 8 shill rep."

Seriously, we don't need that kind of situation.
I think it would be easier to just not have the Spring Man assist appear when playing as him. Then again, there's a Moon assist and the Moon is in the background of the Great Bay stage.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Characters like Viridi, Phospohera, Magnus, Pandora, and others make an appearance. Also in regards to Pit and Palutenia, neither are actually dead. Cliche as it may be, Pit was basically warped into a servant of the bad guys after he got his *** handed to him, and Palutenia was turned to stone.
Interesting, though honestly based on just the description it still feels like something entirely separate from the Kid Icarus universe, its own unique IP with occasional Kid Icarus cameos. If Nintendo were to reveal something like this, I would assume its development was similar to Dinosaur Planet, except instead of Star Fox, it was Kid Icarus.

Honestly the idea you have presented would make an interesting Switch indie game. It has a very strong RPG feel to me.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gosh, I wish he was a Ness echo. We need more Mother representation big time.
Ehhhh, Mother's gotten quite a bit of love this game so this seems kind of off to me. Almost all the party members are in the game for the only 2 worth remembering, 4 stages with very different looks, 2 Assist trophies, a bunch of items including a new one and I'd be surprised if they removed 4's easter egg of Starman getting unique effects if hit by Ness. Plus the new Fourside remix is one of the best remixes in the game tbh

EDIT: This is why you check ignored content before replying to someone kids

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Characters like Viridi, Phospohera, Magnus, Pandora, and others make an appearance. Also in regards to Pit and Palutenia, neither are actually dead. Cliche as it may be, Pit was basically warped into a servant of the bad guys after he got his *** handed to him, and Palutenia was turned to stone.
Eh, I still don't think it's a game that you can just change its protagonist. Though, first games have very little to do with Uprising, so who knows.

Also, it's "Palutena"

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ehhhh, Mother's gotten quite a bit of love this game so this seems kind of off to me. Almost all the party members are in the game for the only 2 worth remembering, 4 stages with very different looks, 2 Assist trophies, a bunch of items including a new one and I'd be surprised if they removed 4's easter egg of Starman getting unique effects if hit by Ness. Plus the new Fourside remix is one of the best remixes in the game tbh
Gwen!

Don't you know Super Smash Bros. is just the character select screen and nothing else?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I think it would be easier to just not have the Spring Man assist appear when playing as him. Then again, there's a Moon assist and the Moon is in the background of the Great Bay stage.
It would just feel inconsistent given how Assist Trophies are chosen for promotion.

So 5 Xenoblade Chronicles 2 characters for DLC and then 5 blade echos? Sweet.
Speaking of... I've played with some ideas in the past on how Sakurai could have approached Xenoblade 2 character content for Smash DLC, and it was something like:
-Rex & Pneuma with the elemental combo system that offer different kinds of gameplay benefits like extended hit stun, poison damage, weakened shields, etc.
-Pyra & Mythra with the form change system that Sheik and Zelda used to have
-Malos with a Shulk-like playstyle
-KOS-MOS if they go for her Refrain look
-T-elos back when DLC Echoes were thought to be possible

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Hot take:

Gameplay and story-wise Sun and Moon is probably the weakest entry we've gotten in the mainline Pokemon series.

However, it did give us kick *** Pokemon designs like Lycanroc, Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina, Buzzwole, and a whole lot more.
I can understand gameplay-wise as despite my disagreement since it does have a number of flaws that can hold it back like its linearity and multiple unskippable cutscenes, but why story-wise if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I just woke up in a cold sweat from an incredibly vivid dream that Devilish Kawashima was one of the fighter pack fighters and he played exactly like an E-rated version of Omega Tiger Woods of MUGEN/Saltybet fame.

Smash has taken over my life completely. This is the second time in as many days I've had DLC dreams. If any of them prove to be real I'll apply to be a prophet.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
Rex is a new twist on the blank protagonist. Instead of a blank personality, he's an echo of every Blade character released.

D

Deleted member

Just caught up on what I missed. **** smash, NO PLAYABLE JOHNNY CAGE IN MK11 WHAT

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
And of course, the follow-up
View attachment 181030
Oh yeah, I almost forgot that I've done some Nocturne x Splatoon stuff back when Miiverse was a thing.
tumblr_nq3tmtgniW1romlpwo2_400.png
tumblr_nq3tmtgniW1romlpwo3_400.png

I tried to recreate the atmosphere behind Splatoon's campaign mode where architecture is floating in space, physics make no sense, and the world looks enclosed and inverted, and it reminded me of Nocturne's Vortex World map a bit.

Needless to say, they have not aged well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also people don’t know who she-hulk is? Play marvel 3 yo. In fact ignore she-hulk, and play marvel anyway.

Getting off-topic though. I do think dlc at TGA is becoming more and more likely to happen.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
They either need to announce some DLC info before Christmas or wait until wallets recharge. The first announcement is guaranteed to be the big one to sell people on $25 of DLC. (and eventually $80 of amiibo)

LetterO

Smash Lord
I just woke up in a cold sweat from an incredibly vivid dream that Devilish Kawashima was one of the fighter pack fighters and he played exactly like an E-rated version of Omega Tiger Woods of MUGEN/Saltybet fame.

Smash has taken over my life completely. This is the second time in as many days I've had DLC dreams. If any of them prove to be real I'll apply to be a prophet.
The day after Bayonetta and Corrin were revealed I had a dream that Phoenix Wright was also DLC. If only.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Also people don’t know who she-hulk is? Play marvel 3 yo. In fact ignore she-hulk, and play marvel anyway.

Getting off-topic though. I do think dlc at TGA is becoming more and more likely to happen.
RyuhoFox RyuhoFox feels the same way if I recall correctly. I certainly hope we get news, or at least a WIP render of our first character. Even if it ends up not a very exciting DLC choice, it would at least give us an idea of what to expect with the pack. It would be funny if we get a character completely unrelated to the Square rep.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Spirits are definitely a subtle way to promote synergy across franchises. Smash is the pinnacle of that! We have examples of content coming from smash and into smash already.

- Pyra/Mythra Costume in her Smash Spirit added to Xenoblades
- Eevee and Pikachu Parnter spirits added to smash as a cool bonus incentive

A few Melee trophies read save data files and unlocked trophies as well, so the concept is not super new. I had to rent pikimin to get a trophy - already had sunshine so was ok there!

I do like that they will be made available later on the Spirit Board later - so having the save data is just a time lock in these instances.

—————-

Another thing I’d like to mention is that I DO think we will be getting Mii Fighter DLC packs outside of the pass. Imagine it provides additional promotion, fills time bn charcater pack releases and licensing could potentially be easier by transaction... we could be seeing the return of some of the third party Mii costumes in this way if they were cut from the base game.

Things like Bethesda Reps make sense to me here - DoomGuy as Gunner, The elder scrolls knight guy that yells a lot as the sword fighter and Vault Boy (or a better pick) as a Brawler.

I wanted to see what you all thought on that - took a look at the store recently and saw that Rex’s costume was a separate download than the pass so thought about how it could work

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

RyuhoFox RyuhoFox feels the same way if I recall correctly. I certainly hope we get news, or at least a WIP render of our first character. Even if it ends up not a very exciting DLC choice, it would at least give us an idea of what to expect with the pack. It would be funny if we get a character completely unrelated to the Square rep.
It would be hilarious if the Square rep wasn't a thing and after every DLC reveal the arguments over who it is from the list got fiercer and fiercer, until the last one is revealed and it's Edelgard from the new Fire Emblem

osby

Smash Obsessed
It would be hilarious if the Square rep wasn't a thing and after every DLC reveal the arguments over who it is from the list got fiercer and fiercer, until the last one is revealed and it's Edelgard
Last character can't be Edelgard. Characters have to get more and more hype with each reveal. Logically, last reveal must be Geno and Banjo-Kazooie as a pack. /s

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Last character can't be Edelgard. Characters have to get more and more hype with each reveal. Logically, last reveal must be Geno and Banjo-Kazooie as a pack. /s
To be fair, that was vaguely true last game. The last character revealed was an unexpected third-party and cloud was also among the last revealed. Corrin’s an odd one out, but Ryu, another unexpected third-party was revealed after a bunch of veterans, so the same applies to him.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, that was vaguely true last game. The last character revealed was an unexpected third-party and cloud was also among the last revealed. Corrin’s an odd one out, but Ryu, another unexpected third-party was revealed after a bunch of veterans, so the same applies to him.
Ryu would have been more hype if it wasn’t leaked, tbh.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Mewtwo would probably be the most hype reveal of last time, unless anger counts towards hype. Then yeah, it'd be Cloud.

Probably due to who came next, people tend to forget the reactions to Cloud reflected him being super polarizing.

D

Deleted member

It’s also worth noting that Corrin was sandwiched between two hype third-parties and had a bit of promotional influence in them making the roster which would explain the timeline of their reveal.
Mewtwo would probably be the most hype reveal of last time, unless anger counts towards hype. Then yeah, it'd be Cloud.

Probably due to who came next, people tend to forget the reactions to Cloud reflected him being super polarizing.
This is true, but I’m counting cloud as ‘hype’ more so because he’s so unexpected and out there. He’s a crazy third-party if you get me.

osby

Smash Obsessed

That "he doesn't deserve to be in Smash!" BS? I don't think there are many characters that can escape from that, but considering we started with Piranha Plant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom