• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It’s also worth noting that Corrin was sandwiched between two hype third-parties and had a bit of promotional influence in them making the roster which would explain the timeline of their reveal.
Well fwiw people weren't uniformly happy with the DLC reveals once the vets stopped.

That "he doesn't deserve to be in Smash!" BS? I don't think there are many characters that can escape from that, but considering we started with Piranha Plant...
If there aren't any surprise additions, you're probably less likely to hear that line of reasoning. However that seems unlikely to be the case. It's mostly lobbied at characters towards whom people haven't yet acclimated.

D

Deleted member

It feels so weird to say "Smash Ultimate comes out this friday" and have it be true

Feels like just yesterday when we thought characters would die in every reveal trailer :') we've grown up so fast

D

Deleted member

Well fwiw people weren't uniformly happy with the DLC reveals once the vets stopped.
Yeah, this is true. What can you expect out of such a large community haha. But I do think the reveals were vaguely supposed to be organised in terms of how ’news-worthy’ they are(is that the proper term? I can’t really think of a good word to convey what I’m trying to say).

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of DLC, is there a short list of characters that are strangely absent from the Spirits's list?

I think the idea that spirit=no DLC is bunk but I want to check for proof.

D

Deleted member

I saw Pokemon rival discussion so:
Silver>Wally>Cheren>Hau>Blue>Bianca>Hugh>Barry>The entirety of the XY rivals>Brendan/May
Their character development should be valued above all else and everyone until Bianca goes through some great one.
You can't prove me wrong.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of DLC, is there a short list of characters that are strangely absent from the Spirits's list?

I think the idea that spirit=no DLC is bunk but I want to check for proof.
Most prominent characters seem to be:
Porky
Adeline
Sylux
Poochy
Deathborne

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, this is true. What can you expect out of such a large community haha. But I do think the reveals were vaguely supposed to be organised in terms of how ’news-worthy’ they are(is that the proper term? I can’t really think of a good word to convey what I’m trying to say).
Well, including even a single fan-favourite newcomer probably would've done the trick.

And I get what you're trying to say but I'm not sure if I agree. Ryu (had he not leaked) and Cloud would've been the biggest names, and they were in the middle. The most requested character, Mewtwo, was first. I think it had less to do with escalating eminence and more to do easier to implement characters (the vets) making more sense to be first, schedule and development-wise.

D

Deleted member

Well, including even a single fan-favourite newcomer probably would've done the trick.

And I get what you're trying to say but I'm not sure if I agree. Ryu (had he not leaked) and Cloud would've been the biggest names, and they were in the middle. The most requested character, Mewtwo, was first. I think it had less to do .with escalating eminence and more to do easier to implement characters (the vets) making more sense to be first, schedule and development-wise.
That’s a fair point as well. The veterans likely did take less time to make than the new boys. But cloud and bayonetta, to me at least, seemed to imply that they did want to end on a general ‘bang’ if you will. Like, they wanted the very last character to be someone people are gonna talk about. Ultimately though it is a matter of interpretation.
Even if the ‘dlc got progressively more exciting’ thought is true, whether it would even apply to the DLC for this game is unclear to say the least. It’s just a waiting game at this point.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Feels like just yesterday when we thought characters would die in every reveal trailer :') we've grown up so fast
Besides Isabelle, every other trailer was a bloodbath (Echoes don't count).

:ultridley: - :ultmegaman::ultmario:
:ultsimon: - :ultluigi:
:ultkrool: - :ultkingdedede:
:ultincineroar: - :ultlittlemac::ultken:
World of Light - Everyone

The ones who died in :ultisabelle:'s trailer was the audience, Cause of Death: Cuteness Overload.

In the :ultpiranha: trailer, the deaths were "the hopes and dreams of Grinch Leak believers".

D

Deleted member

Wasn't there a yarn Poochy or do you mean there's Yarn Poochy but no Standard Poochy?
Yeah, no standard poochy spirit oddly enough. Honestly out of all the ‘no-spirit despite being prominent’ characters, he might have the most going for him. Although that’s assuming spirits deconfirm in the first place.

D

Deleted member

I'm loving how we just received the news that a new, non-alt Pikachu Spirit just got announced and people are still acting as if Spirits are deconfirmations.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion

World of Light - Everyone (But Kirby)

The ones who died in :ultisabelle:'s trailer was the audience, Cause of Death: Cuteness Overload.

In the :ultpiranha: trailer, the deaths were "the hopes and dreams of Grinch Leak believers".
Nah Death killed Luigi. Also Kirby is still here so I fixed it

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Actually, the one who died in :ultisabelle:'s trailer, was Tom Nook's soul...
He just looked so dead inside...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cant’t wait until we get to the end of 2019, and absolutely nothing on DLC has been announced. Piranha Plant still hasn’t come out yet. People re confused and wondering whether the DLC even exists.

And then in February 2020, all the DLC characters just suddenly drop with no warning

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
The game supposedly went gold pretty recently, right? And Sakurai said in the Direct that they'd start working on DLC after the base game is finished. Seems pretty unlikely to me that they'd already have the first of the DLC ready to announce at VGA.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The game supposedly went gold pretty recently, right? And Sakurai said in the Direct that they'd start working on DLC after the base game is finished. Seems pretty unlikely to me that they'd already have the first of the DLC ready to announce at VGA.
If they just show a render, it can't be that hard.

D

Deleted member

A gameplay trailer at TGA isn’t out of the question imo.
This style would definitely make sense. I don’t think a gameplay reveal is out of the question though. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Sakurai also stated back in smash 4 that they hadn’t worked on DLC prior to the game releasing, but then only half a year or so later we got Mewtwo. If sakurai’s statement about fighers taking, at minimum, 8 months of dev time to make is true then they must have worked on Mewtwo prior to the game releasing. Furthermore, if a square character is revealed at TGA, then negotiations must have started months in adavance, which would also long up with Vergeben’s leak timeframe. Around June is when I’m guessing. If this is the case, then it would make sense if they got a head-start on the character, enough to give them a gameplay trailer. Those are just my two-cents anyway.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
If they just show a render, it can't be that hard.
It'd be weird for them to do that with a potentially hype new character. I know they did it with Mewtwo but that was just a veteran.
The new character trailers always seem to be made to capitalise on the surprise factor to get the fans excited, the whole "who could this be??" anticipation. Revealing the character early with a render would lessen the reaction to the eventual trailer and I just don't see them doing that.

segillav

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving how we just received the news that a new, non-alt Pikachu Spirit just got announced and people are still acting as if Spirits are deconfirmations.
My take is that Spirits aren't deconfirmations but that most characters that are Spirits aren't viable DLC candidates to begin with.

D

Deleted member

I’m doubting the idea of a Mewtwo-style reveal at TGA. I think if there is a reveal it’ll be:
-a regular cg+gameplay trailer(maybe in-engine cause DLC)
-a hint as U Untouch suggested (maybe a smash ball rolls in at the end of a dragon quest builders trailer)
-a fully CGI trailer as Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones suggested. If it’s this it’s probably going to be a big recognisable character

osby

Smash Obsessed
Both have a part where you fight with their rivals. Sonic fights with Giant Metal Sonic in Fourside and Bayonetta fights with white Meta Knight in Skyworld.

Also, one of the fights in Sonic's part is a reference to Secret Rings, which made me swoon.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even before the new Pikachu Spirit was announced, I thought people would look at the lists of Spirits and agree that almost every notable character would be a Spirit regardless of whether or not they'd be DLC. I mean, just about every character who Nintendo could potentially be interested in, bar characters from upcoming games, is already in Ultimate to some extent.

We'll see how things play out, but the list of characters who are mysteriously missing aren't exactly choices that I could see Nintendo eagerly asking Sakurai to add in Smash. Porky is from a niche series that hasn't done squat in 10 years, Adeline is a random Kirby character who didn't really do anything after 64 (and unlike K. Rool, lacks that massive fan support), and Poochy is...I don't know? Forced?

Sylux could make sense depending on his role in MP4, but I wouldn't read into things just yet.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
A gameplay trailer at TGA isn’t out of the question imo.
I'm assuming his statement about fighters taking 8 months is referring to the base game, as they have to split their focus between the characters, core gameplay balancing, modes, items, etc. With the team strictly focused on characters post-launch it must take less time. And again, Mewtwo was a veteran so the development time is even shorter. With that in mind half a year after launch doesn't sound too implausible for Mewtwo, compared to the one month it will have been between Ultimate going gold and the VGA awards.
But I mean... I guess Sakurai could be lying about not having begun developing the DLC. Idk

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It's still possible though. Those two spirits aren't regular Pikachu and Eevee, they are called "Partner Pikachu" and "Partner Eevee".
Even if they represent the same creature as already existing spirits, they still don't share the same name.

D

Deleted member

Wrong.
Tom Nook’ wishes to join the roster was the death present on Isabelle’s trailer.

In Piranha Plant’s trailer, it was everyone in Mushroom Kingdom U before Mario arrived to see what happened.

D

Deleted member

I'm assuming his statement about fighters taking 8 months is referring to the base game, as they have to split their focus between the characters, core gameplay balancing, modes, items, etc. With the team strictly focused on characters post-launch it must take less time. And again, Mewtwo was a veteran so the development time is even shorter. With that in mind half a year after launch doesn't sound too implausible for Mewtwo, compared to the one month it will have been between Ultimate going gold and the VGA awards.
But I mean... I guess Sakurai could be lying about not having begun developing the DLC. Idk
That’s a fair point, but isn’t their evidence to suggest Corrin began work 8 months prior to their release?
Here’s the actual quote from Sakurai
“The process, however, of actually creating a character often takes well over a year, where we are constantly working on the model, the animations, the audio and the balancing. For the game balance we have a testing team playing almost every day and we make adjustments based on their results. I was working from morning to night with my responsibilities as director, so I was only able to spend Wednesday evenings and weekends on the balance.”
This seems to suggest that ignoring everything else characters still take over a year to make. Even if the game is done, I can’t imagine the time to make a character is considerably shortened. 8 months seems like a reasonable assumption. Especiallly since their won’t be as many people working on the game post-launch, which would only further enhance the time taken to develop a character. Either way, it would imply Mewtwo began creation prior to the game. You also have to consider that a character at TGA would likely be third-party, so negotiations would take place months prior to the game releasing.

D

Deleted member

People are forgetting too much the fact that Tom Nook got Chrom’d on Isabelle’s trailer.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's still possible though. Those two spirits aren't regular Pikachu and Eevee, they are called "Partner Pikachu" and "Partner Eevee".
Even if they represent the same creature as already existing spirits, they still don't share the same name.
I know this was brought up a thousand other times, but Mewtwo and Lucas's fighter trophies shared the same name as their generic trophies in Smash 4.

Two Spirits sharing the same name isn't that big of a deal. I'm sure they'll try to avoid that situation if possible (as seen with Pikachu and Eevee), but I also think they wouldn't want to risk making a DLC character seem stupidly obvious by leaving them out of Ultimate entirely.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They were dazed and still standing, I fail to see how that qualifies as “dead”.
I mean, people were saying Dedede was dead, even though he only got smacked in the head.

People are forgetting too much the fact that Tom Nook got Chrom’d on Isabelle’s trailer.
He didn't, because Isabelle was the obvious choice, unlike Lucina and Robin.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That’s a fair point, but isn’t their evidence to suggest Corrin began work 8 months prior to their release?
Here’s the actual quote from Sakurai
“The process, however, of actually creating a character often takes well over a year, where we are constantly working on the model, the animations, the audio and the balancing. For the game balance we have a testing team playing almost every day and we make adjustments based on their results. I was working from morning to night with my responsibilities as director, so I was only able to spend Wednesday evenings and weekends on the balance.”
This seems to suggest that ignoring everything else characters still take over a year to make. Even if the game is done, I can’t imagine the time to make a character is considerably shortened. 8 months seems like a reasonable assumption. Especiallly since their won’t be as many people working on the game post-launch, which would only further enhance the time taken to develop a character. Either way, it would imply Mewtwo began creation prior to the game. You also have to consider that a character at TGA would likely be third-party, so negotiations would take place months prior to the game releasing.
I don’t think we’re getting a trailer or anything. I think it will be like Mewtwo’s reveal where they literally just show off the model.

Plus, even though Piranha Plant was “unfinished” they had enough to show a trailer of him. So theoretically, a character is done enough to put together a trailer four months before release.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Btw, didn't Mewtwo get his trailer after his reveal? Unlikely, but they might do something like that, who knows.

D

Deleted member

Here's how the Grinch leak is still real...
Unrelated, but the realisation that there is now a relatively significant event in the smash community’s history called the mother-****ing ‘Grinch leak’ just hit me. What world am I living in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom