• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So, How do we feel about Tansut's implication that SE was mad about a leak around September to factor into all of this?

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
At this point I actively want it to be Geno. Really no desire to see any other Square character than him, and the rights to him are a piece of cake. Win me over with that moveset idea Sakurai’s been stirring in the pot all these years and bring me a fresh new stage with some good tunes.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
i'm waiting for this day to end.
Day?

Child.

I'mma need it to be next Thursday already.

I'm sick of it. I want the game and game announcements at the awards at this point.

Not even a Smash DLC announcement. Just the game for all of us and some cool extra nifty stuff, so we can pretend the Square situation doesn't exist for a few days.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But souring the entire negotiations for it? Normura is an experienced businessman and game designer, and I doubt he'd let his emotions get the best of him like that.
You know, we'll never no how the negotiations went down, even when we know who the character is. So why bother trying to piece it out. I'll just wait and read Sakurai's eventual autobiography to find out.

At this point I actively want it to be Geno. Really no desire to see any other Square character than him, and the rights to him are a piece of cake. Win me over with that moveset idea Sakurai’s been stirring in the pot all these years and bring me a fresh new stage with some good tunes.
You know what would be cool? A book where Sakurai details all of the moveset ideas he's had for characters that never made it in.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well, if it's not Sora who was shot down, maybe it was Dragon Quest...?

Maybe Sora is the one they went through serious negotiations for, the negotiations that apparently no one knows what happened to, meaning the character was probably dropped and so they went with their next pick, using the previous as bait.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey, could someone give me context on the "instant no" and the "shocked developer"?

New info or just retreading on what we know?

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
At least one character on the list is leak-bait.
One character was straight up rejected by Square, and the creators of the character were shocked. Evidence seems to suggest its Sora. Two characters on the list have been seriously discussed, and it’s one of them who’s the actual character.
So Sakurai requested a character and Square just said no? Is that what you mean?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, even though it really doesn't make that much of a difference to me, I guess a DQ rep would be my ideal SE character. The DQ franchise is pretty iconic in gaming as a whole, so I feel like it would fit in nicely with the other third-parties.

Slime as the DQ? Actually, that wouldn't bother me at all. I'd love to see what they come up with.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
As much as I might be known as the Dragon Quest person, I really really want Crono to be the dlc character.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

This is how I feel every time we get new info about the SE rep, because nothing changes.

Just reveal Dragon Quest Hero and get this over with Nintendo.
Yeah. Honestly at this point, I hope the Square rep does get revealed at the Game Awards, so we're not stuck on this list for like another 1-2 months.
Even though I rather have other non-Square characters revealed instead.

Personally, I think it's either a DQ rep or someone that's not on the list entirely.

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You know, we'll never no how the negotiations went down, even when we know who the character is. So why bother trying to piece it out. I'll just wait and read Sakurai's eventual autobiography to find out.
Until we get more information I feel like this is the best course of option.

THE REJECTED CHARACTER AND LEAK BAIT COULD'VE BEEN SORA, GENO, DRAGON QUEST, OR ANY OF THE OTHER CHARACTERS.

There's little point debating it because it'll get us nowhere. Lets hope Fatmanonice Fatmanonice gets cleared to drop names, but don't expect to learn anything else anytime soon. Even then the information presented only makes sense, and we don't even know if it's true.

I've never been more tired of a debate topic here than who the Square Enix rep is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey, could someone give me context on the "instant no" and the "shocked developer"?

New info or just retreading on what we know?
New info,
Here’s the summary
One character was straight up rejected by Square, and the creators of the character were shocked. Evidence seems to suggest its Sora. Two characters on the list have been seriously discussed, and it’s one of them who’s the actual character.

Iridium

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Seems like Incineroar now has the strongest back throw, for both damage and knockback. Not very surprising, honestly.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
New info,
Here’s the summary
Ah, I see.
Is this tied with the SE list we had before or is it its own thing?

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
New info,
Here’s the summary
No, evidence does not seem to suggest it's Sora. Stop saying that, because it could just as well be Geno, who most insiders will tell you is definitely not in the game, or DQ, whose creators would surely be shocked to have a character of their's passed up given the series' prominence in Japan.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Wait, are we back at Square talk or do we have new leaks or information about it?
The square talk is basically a dog chasing it's own tail. Just assume we're getting nowhere.

No, evidence does not seem to suggest it's Sora. Stop saying that, because it could just as well be Geno, who most insiders will tell you is definitely not in the game, or DQ, whose creators would surely be shocked to have a character of their's passed up given the series' prominence in Japan.
I honestly think that Sora was either the instant no or the leak bait. Both because of the ties to Disney.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Geno, who most insiders will tell you is definitely not in the game
I thought that was in regards to Grinch Gang / base-game.

And from what I've seen a couple or so people say, they were supposedly shared with a bit of info about Vergeben's claims about what his source said, and that the reason for Geno "not being taken seriously" is literally nonsense/bias.

(The info may have been from Panda or Fatmanonice but idk who it actually was)

Last edited:

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
Geno seems very unlikely, and I'm not getting my hopes up. But I'm confident he wasn't the leak bait, since he hasn't really been in leaks outside the Grinch leak.

If Sakurai and Nintendo tried to get him and SE balked, I can't even be mad. Nothing else could be done. I appreciate Sakurai even trying.

I just hope it's not Chrono, that's my least favorite of the seven.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Until we get more information I feel like this is the best course of option.

THE REJECTED CHARACTER AND LEAK BAIT COULD'VE BEEN SORA, GENO, DRAGON QUEST, OR ANY OF THE OTHER CHARACTERS.

There's little point debating it because it'll get us nowhere. Lets hope Fatmanonice Fatmanonice gets cleared to drop names, but don't expect to learn anything else anytime soon. Even then the information presented only makes sense, and we don't even know if it's true.

I've never been more tired of a debate topic here than who the Square Enix rep is.
Same. We're not gonna make any progress with these little tidbits until someone actually comes forward and tells us which characters were seriously considered.

I'm just itching to get this all out of the way so we can move on to other DLC characters.

D

Deleted member

I apologise. I said that because Sora would seem to line up with Sora quote ‘not being in’ when the list was leaked, and lines up with Nekoo saying there was some sort of split regarding Sora last he heard and would line up with a creator being surprised the character was rejected. I do understand however the the rejected character could be others such as Geno, who has severla insiders against him and has been told to not be taken seriously. I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No. In general most insiders say it's not Geno.

Verge wasn't told not to take him seriously for no reason. It's not bias, it's that most insiders believe he's not in the game.
So they have this list of names, and their source says this.

why bring him up at all, then? It genuinely sounds like bias and/or they don't even have the full picture just like us. Remember that Vergeben's source was actually told that, and relayed it to Verge, and no one is even sure who the SE character actually is.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Same. We're not gonna make any progress with these little tidbits until someone actually comes forward and tells us which characters were seriously considered.

I'm just itching to get this all out of the way so we can move on to other DLC characters.
Ok, so... how many shill picks do you expect this time around?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm just going to assume Geno wasn't a serious contender in the leaks. Vergeben only heard about him from one source (apparently), same as Slime. Sephiroth, Erdrick and Luminary are the ones he heard the most. I feel if any character is going to be DLC it'll be one of these 3.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Verge himself believed it to be a bias against Geno that made people not take him seriously. Not a serious ''We heard he's not the one."

He said no such thing about Sora however.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

why bring him up at all, then? It genuinely sounds like bias and/or they don't even have the full picture just like us.
Because he didn't heard the list of name from one person.
Some said Sephiroth/Geno
Some Crono/DQ
Some Sora
Some told him Sora isn't him.
Some told him Geno isn't serious.

We have the whole picture of the list. But if never was a list like that. Remember he said he heard the most about Sephiroth/DQ/Crono. Which implies multiple people telling him those names

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

why bring him up at all, then? It genuinely sounds like bias and/or they don't even have the full picture just like us. Remember that Vergeben's source was actually told that, and relayed it to Verge.
While many say it's not Geno, there's no way to definitively know it's not Geno. Like, he could be leakbait or the one who was dropped, but he could also be the one who made it to negotiations, or maybe he just wasn't considered at all.

Can we please just change the topic, because this is getting old fast. All the cards are the table already and reshuffling them isn't going to do us any good at this point.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

Who is that guy?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
How about instead of chasing our own tail with pointless speculation, we talk about....

We've kind of already talked about everything... Dang it.

COME OUT ALREADY!

Ok, so... how many shill picks do you expect this time around?
Two. Maybe three depending on weather or not you count potential third party picks as shills.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
alright.

Let's talk about Sans.

he's coming to smash bros. my dudes.png

Sans is clearly going to be one of the DLC characters, with Undertale's popularity in both the West and the East.

don't hurt me.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Simple and Clean
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I hope you realize insiders always have the possibility of being wrong just as much as anybody else.
Man, it's almost like I just posted about that.
While many say it's not Geno, there's no way to definitively know it's not Geno. Like, he could be leakbait or the one who was dropped, but he could also be the one who made it to negotiations, or maybe he just wasn't considered at all.
Oh wait, it's because I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom