• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This is like the Rayman leak all over again.

Wonder what will be the next flavor of the month "leak".

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Forgive me, as I haven't played ARMS, but in the video when it's paused and zoomed out, would that background screen display a stock picture of Spring-Man, or would it be a screen that showed the current battle, like one of the Pokemon Stadiums?

They start out saying "I cant answer that"

It just seems like regular PR drivel being taken as a major revelation by the fanbase lol.
:061:
100%

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
For reference sake, there are no Spring Man mods (that I know of) for Smash 4, and the only Decidueye mod I can find looks like this.

It wouldn't be the first time a well made model was made for a 'leak'. The infamous Palutena one was actually a well made fake, but we didn't find out for months until someone came forward. So the lack of these models in the mod scene doesn't mean they're real, it just means the modder crafted them themselves to look more legitimate.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
I was curious and decided to compare Little Mac's idle animation and back air with the supposed leak of Spring Man's

The idle animations are slightly different. Spring Man hops back and forth on his feet (he also does this in ARMS, but it is less rapid, so it is no way 1 to 1). Spring Man also stands upright. Little Mac in his idle animation is hunched and his bounces back and forth without his feet leaving the ground.

These two are also considerably different. The two face different directions when using their B-Airs, and Spring Man either seems to do a flurry a punches or winds up before doing his punch. I can't quite tell by the "leak".

Of course this has little to do with the leak being real or fake. I just wanted to throw this out there.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
I'm curious, who's in the know about the Smash 3DS & Wii U modding scene? DasKoopa isn't but maybe whoever is can decipher further if they can confirm it's a mod or not.

Not that I believe this mind you.
I can't see this being something Nintendo would push through. If they did, I would be concerned about the game as a whole is turning out if Spring Man's animation is that bad.
I meant that his animations are janky because he's still being worked on at this stage of development. Doesn't mean that he's gonna release like this.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
That definitely is not Spring Man's idle stance, at least in ARMS. His idle stance being translated 1 to 1 would make more sense considering how the spring arms work.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Forgive me, as I haven't played ARMS, but in the video when it's paused and zoomed out, would that background screen display a stock picture of Spring-Man, or would it be a screen that showed the current battle, like one of the Pokemon Stadiums?
If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure the background is supposed to display the fighters that are battling on the stage. This is most prominently seen in the crowd, with there being Spring Man and Ribbon Girl fans, as would be the case if the two fought in ARMS itself. That's not the case here since Decidueye is on the stage instead, of course, but that's what usually happens in an actual ARMS match from what I remember.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I meant that his animations are janky because he's still being worked on at this stage of development. Doesn't mean that he's gonna release like this.
I see. But I'm still betting on this either being a good mod or an early build.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also what’s sketchy is that the stage isn’t unique but has the same layout as Final Destination.

kylexv

Smash Master
It's important to note that the supposed leaker said that something along the lines of "the North American localization is almost done." If this were the case, it would have to be the finished build, which takes away from the leak for me.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Those Toasters on Spring Man are actually way too small as well.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Now, listen, I don't believe this leak any more than the rest of you do, but I'm here purely because someone has to play devil's advocate.

Spring Man's animations are weird, yes, but let us not forget that in version 1.0 of Smash 4, we had hiccups like this.

(https://gfycat.com/ImpeccableMajesticAsianlion if the video doesn't show up)

Oh, and who could forget this beautiful little number?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There's not much that can be done with Spring Stadium. It's the most basic stage in ARMS, with the only "hazard" being those pads in the back that bounce you back.

So why not have those as the hazards, it would bounce the fighters back into the ring if they were to be knocked into them, it would be a bit better and less bland than a Final Destination clone if I’m being honest.

ShadowKoopa

Smash Rookie
So why not have those as the hazards, it would bounce the fighters back into the ring if they were to be knocked into them, it would be a bit better and less bland than a Final Destination clone if I’m being honest.
Probably had issues with it. Might've been too hard to kill people. We do see them below the stage so I do wonder if we can still hit them and they can help characters recover or somehting

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I can't watch the video at the moment to see the animations for myself, but actual high budget studio character animation is a very different beast from one guy at his computer.

Almost all modded animations are done without a proper animation rig, they're just done by translating and rotating joints. This is a method that hasn't been used in real productions since the 90s. Nowadays rigs are built to accomodate natural kinematics and weight. So while unfinished animations will still be rough, they'll be rough in a really different way than the average mod is rough. The physics of the animations will still feel good, because the rig itself takes care of that.

Polan

Smash Lord
Now, listen, I don't believe this leak any more than the rest of you do, but I'm here purely because someone has to play devil's advocate.

Spring Man's animations are weird, yes, but let us not forget that in version 1.0 of Smash 4, we had hiccups like this.

(https://gfycat.com/ImpeccableMajesticAsianlion if the video doesn't show up)

Oh, and who could forget this beautiful little number?

That Pac-Man one still cracks me up. "Farewell, brothers, we must go to our planet."

It's important to note that the supposed leaker said that something along the lines of "the North American localization is almost done." If this were the case, it would have to be the finished build, which takes away from the leak for me.
Maybe they are done with translations and voicework but the game is still being worked on. I know nothing about localization though so I'm probably wrong.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
Happy to see a "leak". Hope for lots more until we get official information. I find them quite enjoyable.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even if Spring Man was a late addition, I doubt that would seriously make him any more likely to be buggy than the other newcomers, especially if they're this late in the game's development.

Meta Knight was the first newcomer revealed in Brawl, and he still ended up being one of the most flawed characters. Well, "flawed" in the sense that he had none. :p

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
As for NoA getting an early build to start localization, that's not really unusual, particularly if they're aiming for a simultaneous global release, but even if they aren't, the game will be playable a month from now at E3, presumably in English.

A message to leakers. If you are going to make a leak, fake or otherwise, don't use the most expected characters. Stuff like Spring man, decidueye, or Rex are boring as hell.

Show off Duck Hunt-tier surprises. That will get you some extra points for not being absurdly predictable.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Player 2 isn't a CPU, but rather a "human" player, but we only see one Gamecube controller in the video, so is there a second controller off screan? Time to over analyze this **** that I don't even think is real.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A message to leakers. If you are going to make a leak, fake or otherwise, don't use the most expected characters. Stuff like Spring man, decidueye, or Rex are boring as hell.

Show off Duck Hunt-tier surprises. That will get you some extra points for not being absurdly predictable.
Some guy made a Palutena leak that we debated for like two months.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Some guy made a Palutena leak that we debated for like two months.
And then it turned out that the leak was fake, but it didn't matter anyway because Palutena did legitimately get in.

Man, Smash speculation season is ****in' wild.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Isn't that Decidueye's Pokken render?
Yes. The render, art, and entire idle animation seem to be straight rips from Pokkén.

If the leak was real, why would the Smash team need to rip assets for a playable character from a completely different spinoff? Wouldn't you figure they'd prioritize building their own model first?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And then it turned out that the leak was fake, but it didn't matter anyway because Palutena did legitimately get in.

Man, Smash speculation season is ****in' wild.
The apex of discussion even corresponded maybe-not-so-coincidentally to the PotD being the Palutena's Temple reveal through the Palutena statue.

Sakurai knows how to stir a pot. :laugh:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The apex of discussion even corresponded maybe-not-so-coincidentally to the PotD being the Palutena's Temple reveal through the Palutena statue.

Sakurai knows how to stir a pot. :laugh:
And then he trolled us into thinking Paultena would just be a trophy only to reveal the trophy was actually Pseudo Paulutena

Spatman

Smash Ace
it's too suspect that the game is showed only after the hand with the controller isn't showed anymore.
What was the point to show the controller? that was the person to actually control the game? so why not showing the hand using the controller AND at the same time the monitor where the game is played?

it's obviously a fake, and moreover the animation of Spring Man is too horrible to be real.
Leaving aside possible problems of proportion between him and Decidueye and the fact that the "leaker" played it safe showing 2 of the most supposed newcomers

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
That ARMS stage could also be an Omega Variant for all we know.

Still not buying any of this but hey.

Also if I was a leaker, I honestly would have spent my time showing off the Inklings. Showing a bit of gameplay of them could potentially lead to a more believeable video.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Man I want to believe this leak, it looks great

But I still think switch era characters like spring man and rex/pyra will be part of a switch dlc while characters like inkling and Elma are in the base roster

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Man I want to believe this leak, it looks great

But I still think switch era characters like spring man and rex/pyra will be part of a switch dlc while characters like inkling and Elma are in the base roster
I don’t think either Spring Man or Rex/Pyra will be in the base game tbh due to project plan timing, they feel more like DLC picks while characters from the late Wii U era/current 3DS era seem more likely to be in the game. (Current as in Decidueye, Celica, etc.)

Spatman

Smash Ace
oh and even the crowd on the stands has terrible animation.
It's a fake for sure, but if it was true, well, it would mean that this time Sakurai is doing a very awful product

D

Deleted member

There's been a sizable number of fake pictures or text leaks, but ran into an interesting one - clear photos, video footage that's pretty decent.

https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/413200996#p413200996 - Source thread

Video:

Edit: Video isn't loading? It's in the source post, really the most important thing here

Looks very detailed and clean, but clearly fake.
That animation for Spring Man is off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't like Decidueye, so this leak is fake.

Obviously.
I'm not too fond of Decidueye either. With that said, seeing the GCN controller be affiliated with the fake screenshots was a huge giveaway that it was fake, since you can't even use that kind of controller on the Nintendo Switch.

It's still rather baffling that Nintendo even bothered to make the GCN controller adapter for the Wii U when it was only good for a single game. But on the other hand, wireless controllers do have their drawbacks.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm not too fond of Decidueye either. With that said, seeing the GCN controller be affiliated with the fake screenshots was a huge giveaway that it was fake, since you can't even use that kind of controller on the Nintendo Switch.

It's still rather baffling that Nintendo even bothered to make the GCN controller adapter for the Wii U when it was only good for a single game. But on the other hand, wireless controllers do have their drawbacks.
Actually, the GameCube adapter does work with the Switch, but at the moment, it causes the Switch to recognize the GC controller as a standard Pro controller.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It's still rather baffling that Nintendo even bothered to make the GCN controller adapter for the Wii U when it was only good for a single game.
The GCN controller is accidentally compatible with the Switch, and it's been my favourite update so far. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom