• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the SoV characters just pretty standard sword users? I can't really see them getting in if that's the case
Celica uses swords and magic, but is much more magic based. SoV's Magic system is entirely different from the rest of the series, as tomes aren't used and instead spells are cast from health, so she's already got something incredibly different to set her apart.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the SoV characters just pretty standard sword users? I can't really see them getting in if that's the case
Celica has Magic and Alm has a Bow. Both of them have swords, but for Alm swords are his main thing, meanwhile, Celica mainly uses magic.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Legit talk but with Celica I'm not convinced by the "sword and magic" concept since that has already been done with past Fire Emblem characters. Something more specific maybe?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Celica uses swords and magic, but is much more magic based. SoV's Magic system is entirely different from the rest of the series, as tomes aren't used and instead spells are cast from health, so she's already got something incredibly different to set her apart.
Cast from health? Coming to steal pichu's gimmick I guess lol

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Cast from health? Coming to steal pichu's gimmick I guess lol
Okay I found my moveset.

Moveset

Normal Attacks

Jab: Using the Beloved Zofia, Celica performs a three hit combo attack. The first strike comes downward from overhead, the second comes from the side in a sweeping motion, and the third has Celica twirling a bit, swinging the blade from behind in an upward motion. This is based on her in-dungeon combo from Shadows of Valentia. Specifically, it comes directly from her second, third, and fourth strike.

Dash Attack: The small wisp of fire following Celica creates a wall of flames in front of her as she charges forward. Unlike her other magical attacks, no recoil is done here. This is changed, however, if Celica charges her Fire special. If it is charged, this move makes Celica take minor recoil damage, but also makes the move hit much harder. This is taken directly from her dash attack in Shadows of Valentia.

Up Tilt: Celica points the Beloved Zofia skyward as the glowing flame beside her becomes three fire balls, which twirl around the tip of her sword. A multi-hit move.

Side Tilt: Celica thrusts the Beloved Zofia forward, moving slightly in the direction she's facing while doing so. This move comes from the first and fifth strike of her in-dungeon combo in Shadows of Valentia.

Down Tilt: Celica, while crouched, moves her hand outward, launching a small, thunderous spark toward the ground. Due to the stun effect, this move can combo into itself twice before knockback forces foes away.

Smash Attacks:

Up Smash: Celica, using the Beloved Zofia like a sort of baton, casts Excalibur above her, creating a slow-rising razor wind. It travels higher up and does more damage the longer it is charged. The move has a trapping effect due to it being a rapid multi-hit move.

Side Smash: Celica leaps up and smashes the Beloved Zofia downward onto opponents. This is based on her critical hit and finishing blow animation in both Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia. However, this move does far less knockback than the rest of her smash attacks, due to not being magically backed.

Down Smash: Celica performs her casting animation and casts Thunder, hitting both sides of the ground beside her with bolts of lightning.

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Celica's fire ball splits into a small stream of fire. Celica moves the Beloved Zofia in a circular motion and the stream of flames circles around her twice, clockwise.

Forward Air: Celica, using a variation of Seraphim, quickly grows angelic wings and uses them to slam foes both forward and downward. This move is based on one of Celica's attacks in Fire Emblem Warriors.

Back Air: Celica quickly makes a backhanded strike with the Beloved Zofia. Here, the tip of the blade is blessed with the Thunder spell, creating a small orb of electricity at the end. Hitting with the spark does much more damage.

Up Air: Celica uses another variant of Excalibur, sending a small gust of wind upward. Knockback-wise and potency-wise, it is somewhere between Mega Man's and Mr. Game and Watch's wind-based up airs.

Down Air: Celica points her arms downward, spreading her fireball into a stream of fire beneath her in a parabolic arc.

Grab, Pummel, and Throws:

Grab and Pummel: Celica has a fairly standard grab, and pummels by imbuing her hands with fire to burn the opponent. The pummel does not, however, cause recoil damage, despite being magic-based. This holds true for Celica's throws as well.

Forward Throw: Celica releases the foe as three columns of fire erupt in front of her, beneath the foe, carrying them away before causing severe knockback.

Back Throw: Celica tosses the foe back and releases a blast of light magic from her hands, sending them flying.

Up Throw: Celica waves her arms overhead after bringing her foe upward, shocking them with electricity before launching them.

Down Throw: Pointing her Beloved Zofia to the ground, three strikes of compressed wind energy pummel the foe before bouncing them off the ground of the stage.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Fire (Ragnarok) - Celica charges up her fire ball that shoots forward before exploding. At full charge, this becomes Ragnarok, which is incredibly powerful, doing roughly 35% damage and quite a bit of knock back, but at the expense of Celica taking hefty recoil damage. Chargeable and storable. While it is stored, however, any attack using Celica's fire ball will grow in power, but the recoil damage of the move will be more severe. This does not effect her pummel or forward throw, however.

Side Special: Seraphim - Celica clasps her hands together as she is bathed in a flash of white light. A giant ball of white light surrounds Celica when the button is released, and it slowly moves forward. If the opponent is overlapping Celica's light, they will be trapped similarly to Mewtwo's neutral air, before being carried forward with the ball of light and being erupted from it when it reaches its full distance. A "get off me" move befitting Celica's connection to Mila and having one of her weaknesses protected.

Up Special: Excalibur - Celica summons a gust of razor wind around her as she ascends. Nearby foes get cut by the wind, though Celica also takes minor damage from this move (less than five percent).

Down Special: Mila's Turnwheel - Celica clasps her hands and enters a praying stance. A counter-styled move, if Celica activates this move at the right moment of impact with the foe, the foe is pushed away, doing no damage. However, Celica is healed by ten percent, making it a very risky way of restoring health. Note, though, that the move has far stricter timing than other Counter-like moves, and excessive usage of the move will lower the amount of health it heals.

Final Smash: Ragnarok Ω - If foes are in range of the attack's start up, a cutscene plays, based on Celica's in-game cutscene when activating this move. Visually, they're essentially the same. The move then ends. Unlike in Shadows of Valentia, this move does not cause recoil damage to Celica, due to being her Final Smash.

Overview:

Celica mainly relies on her spells, with a few moves utilizing the Beloved Zofia, like her jab. The Beloved Zofia acts more like a conduit for her spells here than an actual weapon for most of her moveset, where she makes graceful guiding motions with it to focus her spells, not unlike a baton, or how Toon Link uses the Wind Waker. For the few attacks where she uses the Beloved Zofia for offense, she takes a more rapier-like style.

Like in Shadows of Valentia's dungeon segments, Celica is followed by a small wisp of fire. This is mostly cosmetic and serves as a neat way for her to animate some of her attacks, but also benefits from her neutral special, wherein she can increase its size the more she charges her Fire spell. This increases the size of some of her attacks' hit boxes at the expense of more recoil damage, and after firing off her charged Fire or Ragnarok, the wisp fizzles back to its original size.

In reference to Gaiden and Shadows of Valentia's unique magic system, Celica takes a variant of Pichu's self damage gimmick, but better executed. Celica does more self damage the more potent her spells are, but can reliably kill using them. Her issue stems from her being the epitome of a glass cannon, as she can't take hits well at all, especially when using her higher recoil spells. In addition to reflecting her game of origin's mechanics, her moveset also reflects her personality and character, with her gracefulness coming through in her use of the Beloved Zofia and her penchant for self-sacrifice coming through in her powerful spells' recoil.

Entrance Animation:
Celica slowly walks in and creates her wisp of fire from her hand, as in her dungeon entrance animation from Shadows of Valentia.

Taunts:
Up Taunt - Celica holds her right arm up as the wisp of fire wraps around it, traveling upward until it bursts into flames above her hand, all while saying "I'm not about to stop here!"
Side Taunt - Celica holds a hand over her heart and says "Guide me, Mila."
Down Taunt - Twirls and puts a hand on her hip, saying "All thanks to the Mother." This is taken directly from her Shadows of Valentia victory animation.

Victory Animations:
Victory 1: Celica exits a kneeling prayer stance, breathing a sigh of relief.
Victory 2. Celica sheathes the Beloved Zofia and says "The Mother has seen us through safely."
Victory 3: Celica gracefully launches a fireball upward, which explodes like a firework, sending down small embers.

Credits Theme (if custom Classic Mode credits return from Brawl) : With Mila's Divine Protection (Celica Map 1) or The Heritors of Arcadia

Alternate Costume: Rigain Celica, taken directly from her Overclass outfit.

Codec:

Snake: Colonel, this girl is using magic. What do you know about her?
Colonel: That's Celica, Snake, though she's also known as Princess Anthiese of Zofia.
Snake: So she's royalty, huh?
Colonel: Princess Anthiese went into hiding at a young age after an attempted coup led to the murder of her entire family. She's since stayed at a priory, and in turn became a priestess of Mila, skilled in both swordplay and magic.
Snake: I wouldn't expect a holy woman to be fighting here.
Colonel: She may be kind, but don't underestimate her, Snake. Her magic can call upon the powers of fire, thunder, wind, and holy light. You'd do well to stay away. Her magic is powerful, but it comes at the cost of her health. Use that to your advantage.
Snake: Have her whittle away at her own health, huh? Got it.
Fully detailed moveset with a playstyle explanation, alongside some fun bonus features like entrance and victory animations, taunts, a Snake codec should he return, unique credits theme if those come back from Brawl, and an alternate costume. Hopefully it should illustrate the concept well.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Here are two Nintendo characters that are even more outlandish than a floating head and a photorealistic puppy!:p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
reminds me of when people wanted the reckless silhouette man from the Wii bootup menus
At least the Wii Shop Bag looks like an actual character, instead of a shadow. Never mind it has animations, so there's more to logically work with.

Not that I support the character, but they have a bit more merit.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Where does leak discussion take place? Here?

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
I hope Pichu comes back...
Although I think his return is unlikely, I kinda want him back, too. I know Pichu isn't a favorite from Melee, but I still have a lot of fun with him. Not to mention the whole deal with his electrical attacks doing damage to himself actually taught me to avoid excessive use of attacks and to try to be more careful with my decisions, which now applies to how I play nearly everyone in the Smash series.

Morbi

Scavenger
Although I think his return is unlikely, I kinda want him back, too. I know Pichu isn't a favorite from Melee, but I still have a lot of fun with him. Not to mention the whole deal with his electrical attacks doing damage to himself actually taught me to avoid excessive use of attacks and to try to be more careful with my decisions, which now applies to how I play nearly everyone in the Smash series.
I do not even necessarily want Pichu per se. I just want a character with that "troll" archetype. Those are the most fun characters to beat your friends with, or take them online, in a modern era. Glass Joe would be cool if they have a problem with Pichu. But then again, if they have a problem with Pichu, they definitely have a problem with Glass Joe.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Where does leak discussion take place? Here?
At this time, yes. Last time, the leaks group became extremely difficult to control and had too much drama.

For now, we have no credible leaks, so it's easier to just put them here as they come up. Many are random rumors as is, that mean little.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
There's been a sizable number of fake pictures or text leaks, but ran into an interesting one - clear photos, video footage that's pretty decent.

https://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/413200996#p413200996 - Source thread

Video:

Edit: Video isn't loading? It's in the source post, really the most important thing here

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

kylexv

Smash Master
There's been a sizable number of fake pictures or text leaks, but ran into an interesting one - clear photos, video footage that's pretty decent.

Video:

Edit: Video isn't loading? It's in the source post, really the most important thing here

Although the amount of effort put into this is astounding (It looks really nice), I have a doubt this is real. Spring Man's idle animation look very gippy and unfinished. Plus, the likliness of getting such hi-res screenshots of the game leaked are slim to none.

Dismissing this as fake, but I've been wrong before.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Video:

That's looking like an obvious Little Mac mod. Look at the animations closely. They even did little gameplay to make it less obvious to some. The pictures are from the same person, right? Looks like nothing more than some photoshops then. At least they put more effort than text leaks, though.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I applaud their attempts to change the HUD just enough to make it look new.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Isn't that Decidueye's Pokken render?
I don't think so, if it is, it's heavily modified. It is in the same pose though.

EDIT: after looking at the video, it's definitely either fake or from a really early build. I don't think it would be from an early build because of the timing of the leak, so it's fake IMO.

Really well done though.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I skeptical of the validity. My working hypotheses is that the footage and first picture are modded Smash 4 and the second is modded Brawl with the same pause overlay photoshopped on (maybe?) since it'd probably be easier to brighten up environments and throw cappy eyes on Mario than it would be to make Icies from scratch on Wii U, especially since Yoshi's island is there

Stage length is weird: ARMS Stage seems very small if it's taken from an omega, but I don't know how good stage modding is in Smash 4.

Morbi

Scavenger
I skeptical of the validity. My working hypotheses is that the footage and first picture are modded Smash 4 and the second is modded Brawl with the same pause overlay photoshopped on (maybe?) since it'd probably be easier to brighten up environments and throw cappy eyes on Mario than it would be to make Icies from scratch on Wii U, especially since Yoshi's island is there

Stage length is weird: ARMS Stage seems very small if it's taken from an omega, but I don't know how good stage modding is in Smash 4.
The Ice Climbers palette is blatantly from Brawl. They should have made it a brighter hue.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You know, if they had just posted the image of Spring Man in the pause menu without the other images and the video, I might've been more inclined to believe it.

Like Morbi said, that's on par with the quality I'd expect from an actual Smash Bros model.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The model is great and definitely what I would expect from the official product; however, that animation is terrible. :urg:
What, you mean you don't like how Spring Man's shoe clips through the stage? :p

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Isn't the Yoshi's Island stage a little too... small? The platform seems so unbelievably low. I mean, Mario is far from being the tallest character around and it is still barely higher than his head.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Video:

For starters, Spring Man looks off. His arm seem really small, and his animations are sloppy. Could be early development, but I'm not too sure. Battle portrait also looks off, like it's too far zoomed out.

Decidueye's idle animations are a bit sloppy as well, but as previously stated, it could be due to it being early in development. That isn't his Pokken render, though. Similar, but the head isn't quite in the same position.

Mario with Cappy's eyes and Ice Climbers aren't too hard to fake.

I think the biggest contributing factor here is the stage Spring Man and Decidueye are on. It looks great.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Although the amount of effort put into this is astounding (It looks really nice), I have a doubt this is real. Spring Man's idle animation look very gippy and unfinished. Plus, the likliness of getting such hi-res screenshots of the game leaked are slim to none.

Dismissing this as fake, but I've been wrong before.
I'll at least give the guy credit for making this look realistic.

However, the quality of the Ice Climbers, the rough animation for Spring Man, and Decidueye's strange height (I know Sakurai fudges the official heights in Smash, but how the heck does a 5' 3'' Decidueye tower over Spring Man!?) leads me to believe this is fake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom