• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
And then you literally just have a very very very awkward character who feels completely mish mashed and two characters in one instead of a coherent character.

You want them to be dancing one moment, then pull an R. Kelly on South Park the next?

Yeah, no thanks. Again even if you played the story mode (which I did thank you), no one on the internet loved Callie and Marie because they were secret agent bad *****. Callie and Marie were loved because of them being music idols and the hosts of the Splatfests.

And THAT is why it's completely a dis-service to these characters to throw some extra guns on them they might have lying around that the Inklings don't use.
There is a precedent for that. You have Game and Watch, Villager, and Mega Man. All of them are "everything and the kitchen sink-"esque characters. You can make a coherent character with two different elements, fam... It is not impossible or particularly difficult.

The internet is irrelevant. If it was important, Goku would be in Smash already, Sakurai sort of just ignores memes which is for the best.

No, it is not a disservice no matter how much you use the term. You should be saying, "I would not enjoy that." That is the reality, the world does not revolve around you, or your confirmation biases.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
And then you literally just have a very very very awkward character who feels completely mish mashed and two characters in one instead of a coherent character.

You want them to be dancing one moment, then pull an R. Kelly on South Park the next?

Yeah, no thanks. Again even if you played the story mode (which I did thank you), no one on the internet loved Callie and Marie because they were secret agent bad *****. Callie and Marie were loved because of them being music idols and the hosts of the Splatfests.

And THAT is why it's completely a dis-service to these characters to throw some extra guns on them they might have lying around that the Inklings don't use.
Well my that logic the fact that they are agents and idols isn’t coherent.
And that’s exsctly why it would be cool to see this characters you loved in action. I would be much happier with that than them being in the background, let pearl and marina do that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Wow. Okay. Apparently this is about me and not the fact that it literally is truthful that Callie and Marie are even sold primarily outside of the games by Nintendo as musicians and hosts. Not secret agents.

Yet it's totally not weird to think that they wouldn't simply just play up the element they fairly rarely use just because Splatoon is popular and it needs that second rep TODAY not in a couple of years when it's grown and there's more noteworthy things to add.

Sure. It wasn't a meme that the most focused on things about Callie and Marie were music and that they hosted the splatfests. I'm legit not making this up and you know this and are ignoring this fact.

Also Bayonetta would like to speak to you. She says the internet matters considering you know she got into the game based on a worldwide internet ballot.

Also Villager, Mega Man, and Game & Watch are far from incoherent movesets. Far far far from it. They have a theme and tie together well.

What Mr Reyes is literally asking for is someone to be dancing one minute to attack Mario and then the next whip a sniper rifle out and shoot Zelda in her eye. That's majorly incoherent. There's no theme. It's two different themes forced into one individual.

D

Deleted member

What Mr Reyes is literally asking for is someone to be dancing one minute to attack Mario and then the next whip a sniper rifle out and shoot Zelda in her eye. That's majorly incoherent. There's no theme. It's two different themes forced into one individual.
Now, what if it was a dance-styled gunpl-
...wait, Bayonetta already does something like that.

....****. Thought I was onto something....

Last edited by a moderator:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Wow. Okay. Apparently this is about me and not the fact that it literally is truthful that Callie and Marie are even sold primarily outside of the games by Nintendo as musicians and hosts. Not secret agents.

Yet it's totally not weird to think that they wouldn't simply just play up the element they fairly rarely use just because Splatoon is popular and it needs that second rep TODAY not in a couple of years when it's grown and there's more noteworthy things to add.

Sure. It wasn't a meme that the most focused on things about Callie and Marie were music and that they hosted the splatfests. I'm legit not making this up and you know this and are ignoring this fact.

Also Bayonetta would like to speak to you. She says the internet matters considering you know she got into the game based on a worldwide internet ballot.

Also Villager, Mega Man, and Game & Watch are far from incoherent movesets. Far far far from it. They have a theme and tie together well.

It was just an example, I’m not Sakurai. I’m sure he would find a way to make them fit in the game and feel like themselves.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Ha ha ha, Game and Watch best represents Nintendo in the current era? Fam, there are opinions, and then there are delusions. Game and Watch did not best represent Nintendo when he was actually relevant.
That was the only character I didn't know whether to add or not. I was considering replacing him with Sonic, but I didn't want to put any third-party characters on the roster. If this roster was made for a new Smash, consider him replaced with Inkling.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Now, what if it was a dance-styled gunpl-
...wait, Bayonetta already does something like that.

....****. Thought I was onto something....
I mean yeah, but she's more just suggestively and seductively moving her body while shooting in acrobatic and graceful ways. Her love of dancing resides in her taunts I'd say.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
There's a lot of debate regarding Splatoon characters in Smash. As much as I'd prefer to have another unique Splatoon character like DJ Octavio, we're most likely gonna get the Octolings as clone characters. Not saying this is something I want personally, just something that Sakurai would do.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Once Inkling’s moveset is revealed then this can be discussed further. If they just use a basic splattershot, I think a moveset than used a long range sniper or close range roller is a possibility.
That’s still just 3 weapons out dozens.

Morbi

Scavenger

You know the interesting thing about secret agents? Their employment, as an agent... is... a... secret. :troll:

Again, Nintendo never sold Rosalina is a ****ing Luma slinger, either. That is not relevant to whether or not a character will appear in Smash brothers and Sakurai's interpretation is only a disservice if the creator of Splatoon objects and I highly doubt they would... Because they are actually secret agents, believe it or not.

Callie and Marie will not be relevant in a few years. As far as I am concerned, they have already been replaced. That is the only real reason not to include them. If Splatoon 3 has entirely different hosts, well, yeah. I never played Splatoon 2, so perhaps they are still important in it. But that would be even more reason to include them. We are not going to get another Smash in a few years, fam. This is it. For the Switch. We are going to have to wait until the next Nintendo console. So that sentiment only applies if they are STILL doing DLC a couple of years from launch.

No, they definitely have musical aspects. You did not make that up. I never claimed you did. I am just saying that is only one aspect of their character and not one that I particularly enjoy relative to the other. I am just saying internet praise for them being divas over secret agents is not going to change Sakurai's consideration.

Ha ha ha... Okay, whatever you say. I am not even sure why I bother.

No. It is not. Bayonetta does it, fam. You love her so much and yet you ignore that fact. It is not magically incoherent just because you do not enjoy that Callie and Marie are secret agents.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Callie and Marie will not be relevant in a few years. As far as I am concerned, they have already been replaced. That is the only real reason not to include them. If Splatoon 3 has entirely different hosts, well, yeah. I never played Splatoon 2, so perhaps they are still important in it. But that would be even more reason to include them. We are not going to get another Smash in a few years, fam. This is it. For the Switch. We are going to have to wait until the next Nintendo console. So that sentiment only applies if they are STILL doing DLC a couple of years from launch.
The single player features them both heavily. And since they’ve been in both games I think they will continue to be a part of the series.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I never once said I didn't enjoy them as secret agents. I said it's not the thing Nintendo focuses on when they sell them outside of the games in the franchise.

And to be fair you're simply making up a hypothetical scenario where Callie and Marie will disappear from the series and not be relevant. They could very well return in every game. While Pearl and Marina disappear. I mean I certainly don't think those two have caught on as much as Callie and Marie did.

Bayonetta does not dance, then whip her guns out. Bayonetta dancing is a taunt and completely optional. What Bayonetta does is all acrobatic and very very not even remotely close to dancing in her main move-set.

The closest she gets to dancing is the wicked weaves attacks and even that is more posing than dancing.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I never once said I didn't enjoy them as secret agents. I said it's not the thing Nintendo focuses on when they sell them outside of the games in the franchise.

And to be fair you're simply making up a hypothetical scenario where Callie and Marie will disappear from the series and not be relevant. They could very well return in every game. While Pearl and Marina disappear.

Bayonetta does not dance, then whip her guns out. Bayonetta dancing is a taunt and completely optional. What Bayonetta does is all acrobatic and very very not even remotely close to dancing in her main move-set.

The closest she gets to dancing is the wicked weaves attacks and even that is more posing than dancing.
I definitely got the wrong impression seeing as you are apparently vehemently against that element, going as far as to say nobody likes it which would include yourself, presumably, as you were the one who stated it. But, my b. Totes misunderstood you. Ha ha ha...

I was not aware, someone clarified their role for me. And to that end, sure, they COULD wait until the next game; however, why? Is there actually a reason?

She does. You have never played her, it seems. I am not talking about the taunts, although they are very nice. Oh, okay, I did not read the last sentence. I had no idea this was going to be a semantics thing, I just figured with how you present the rest of your arguments that you were genuinely unaware. Okay, she poses... Which is exactly what the other gentlemen was suggesting. OMG, this is so easy.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Couldn't weapons that the Inklings don't use in Smash simply be items instead?

I don't really see any point in forcing someone like the Squid Sisters or Octolings into the game for the sake of representing different weapons in order to make them "different" from the Inklings themselves.
Or even just custom moves for the Inklings.

Even if the majority of people here (or that play the game in general) don't really care one way or the other towards them (myself included), or even actively dislike them, they're most likely not going to just throw the idea out. Especially if this game is heavily built off of Smash 4.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the other weapons as custom moves for the Inklings, similar to how Mega Man uses various different power-ups for his.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You know dude. I think I'm not even finishing this with you. You're literally incapable of a discussion without making it personal and snippy. Never once have I came at you with some ''You've never played this" or ''Never done this" bull****. Yet you've done it twice to me.

One of which is obviously so un-true it's not even funny, so I think I'll just avoid further discussion with you from this point on.

So don't even bother quoting me in further discussions cause you're never getting a reply until you can keep it civil and mature and not resort to those snide underhand jabs I keep seeing you throw.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Or even just custom moves.

Even if the majority of people here (or that play the game in general) don't really care one way or the other, they're most likely not going to just throw the idea out.
[citation needed]

I’m sure many splatoon fans would like different types of way of playing splatoon being represented in smash. I don’t see why they wouldn’t. If any new franchise deserves more reps it’s splatoon anyway. And not scrapping the bottom of the barrel for other franchises or adding irrelevant third party characters.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
[citation needed]

I’m sure many splatoon fans would like different types of way of playing splatoon being represented in smash. I don’t see why they wouldn’t. If any new franchise deserves more reps in splatoon anyway. And not scrapping the bottom of the barrel for other franchises or adding irrelevant third party characters.
I need a citation for what, exactly...? I never stated anything except guessing they will probably bring back custom moves.

I genuinely don't know what you're going on about there, or what it has to do with my post. I never said anything about any other franchises, and I don't see how custom moves prevents other ways to play with Splatoon stuff.. it literally exists to enhance that.

Did you reply to the wrong person or am I missing something?

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Let's just agree that Isabelle and the Squid Squirter Sisters won't be playable. Done discussion.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I need a citation for what, exactly...? I never stated anything except guessing they will probably bring back custom moves.

I genuinely don't know what you're going on about there or what it has to do with what I said.
As far people not caring one way or the other how splatoon being represented

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
As far people not caring one way or the other how splatoon being represented
I specifically stated custom moves in the post. Nothing about more Splatoon representation other than the prospect of them getting custom moves, since custom moves will likely return.

Also, even if I was talking about Splatoon representation as the thing people don't care about, I said "Even if" so it wasn't a direct statement regardless, just a hypothetical.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
You can't put too much stock into this "Sakurai is against" argument.

Sakurai was once against Villager, blah blah blah, he was also against Pac-Man, yada yada yada... Point is, Sakurai could do a full 180 turn on any of these characters. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility with him.
I don't think Sakurai was "against" those things, he just didn't think it could be done. Then he figured out how it could be done.

Morbi

Scavenger
You know dude. I think I'm not even finishing this with you. You're literally incapable of a discussion without making it personal and snippy. Never once have I came at you with some ''You've never played this" or ''Never done this" bull****. Yet you've done it twice to me.

One of which is obviously so un-true it's not even funny, so I think I'll just avoid further discussion with you from this point on.

So don't even bother quoting me in further discussions cause you're never getting a reply until you can keep it civil and mature and not resort to those snide underhand jabs I keep seeing you throw.
It was a reasonable assumption as she blatantly dances (poses) for nearly her entire move-set. You are being overly pedantic, so I returned the favor. It is nothing personal, I do not even want them to be in the game, I just find your reasoning (or lack thereof) to be quite poor.

Most people do give up after you point out half a dozen contradictions. If you just stuck with what everyone else did, "I am not a fan of that idea and here is why" it would not have been so easy to find the inconsistencies in your reasoning because it would have been entirely opinion based. But you start generalizing about the internet and how other people feel and that just opens up so many other points of discussion.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Animal Crossing was once the Splatoon of the Nintendo World. I'd just like to throw that out there. Before Splatoon that was the new ''It" IP.

Sakurai didn't add two reps for it right away, yet there was moveset potential for one in Tom Nook. Now Isabelle has come along as well.

Because some is huge and blew up does not mean it needs two reps right away.

Look at how Sakurai handled Fire Emblem in Brawl for example. That was a point in the series where it was on the verge of going bye bye. He got rid of Roy and simply added Ike.

But when it blew up he was only going to add Robin, then got a last minute surprise with Lucina because of how her hitboxes and such function differently than Marth's.

So keep that in mind. After the game that literally saved Fire Emblem's life as a franchise, Sakurai went into the base roster of Smash 4 intending to only add one new Fire Emblem rep. Of course he later just went nuts with the DLC and all that, but that's neither here nor there to what I'm trying to say.

If Fire Emblem can nearly die as a franchise then have a massive resurgence of popularity and Sakurai was only going to originally give it one new rep. And Animal Crossing can be the Splatoon before there was a Splatoon and only get one rep?

Splatoon is only getting one rep.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
I specifically stated custom moves in the post. Nothing about more Splatoon representation other than the prospect of them getting custom moves.
I misread the post then, I don’t think that custom moves will do it justice, I’m not even convinced that they will return.

Animal Crossing was once the Splatoon of the Nintendo World. I'd just like to throw that out there. Before Splatoon that was the new ''It" IP.

Sakurai didn't add two reps for it right away, yet there was moveset potential for one in Tom Nook. Now Isabelle has come along as well.

Look at how Sakurai handled Fire Emblem in Brawl for example. That was a point in the series where it was on the verge of going bye bye. He got rid of Roy and simply added Ike.

But when it blew up he was only going to add Robin, then got a last minute surprise with Lucina because of how her hitboxes and such function differently than Marth's.

So keep that in mind. After the game that literally saved Fire Emblem's life as a franchise, Sakurai went into the base roster of Smash 4 intending to only add one new Fire Emblem rep. Of course he later just went nuts with the DLC and all that, but that's neither here nor there to what I'm trying to say.

If Fire Emblem can nearly die as a franchise then have a massive resurgence of popularity and Sakurai was only going to originally give it one new rep. And Animal Crossing can be the Splatoon before there was a Splatoon and only get one rep?

Ah yes, the life simulator game only received one rep after being passed over after Sakurai couldn’t figure out how to make them fight.
I think the third person shooter game has less problems in that regard.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Unless the Octolings get in as a last-minute clone.:p

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It was a reasonable assumption as she blatantly dances (poses) for nearly her entire move-set. You are being overly pedantic, so I returned the favor. It is nothing personal, I do not even want them to be in the game, I just find your reasoning (or lack thereof) to be quite poor.

Most people do give up after you point out half a dozen contradictions. If you just stuck with what everyone else did, "I am not a fan of that idea and here is why" it would not have been so easy to find the inconsistencies in your reasoning because it would have been entirely opinion based. But you start generalizing about the internet and how other people feel and that just opens up so many other points of discussion.
If you think she's blatantly dancing go play the game again or even just watch her reveal trailer. None of her move set is dancing.

I think you're crossing up the fact she's a character who is known to love to dance with what she's doing. There's nothing pedantic about it. It's simply IS.

And again this is why I'm not responding to you after this. That whole second paragraph is nothing more than a self congratulatory ''I think I'm right and you're dumb and you know I'm right so you're shutting up." paragraph

And no. It's just I know when someone is not worth the time and bud, you're not worth the time.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Again, with roster discussion, the word "need" should be abolished. The roster does not need anything and it has not needed anything after Smash 64, and not all of the characters in that game were necessary either.

The real questions are, will it happen and is it justified?

Honestly, after seeing Villager's move-set, I am extremely doubtful of another Animal Crossing character's move-set and it is the only reason I vagely doubt Isabelle in the first place. But that is just a personal matter.

I have no idea what you are trying to say; however, I would argue that the treatment of Fire Emblem is the indicator that this is a potential happening as is.

Staarih

Smash Master
I mean, I could definitely see Splatoon getting multiple characters at some point if it remains huge. But maybe not multiple at once (so, like right now).

And about the weapons, a lot of them are essentially ”copies” of each other with different abilities. Like, all sloshers function the same anyway, for example. So main weapons alone, one Inkling moveset can pretty much showcase them all. Sub weapons are a different story I guess but most of them are bombs. And special weapons... probably just one for a Final Smash.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Again, with roster discussion, the word "need" should be abolished. The roster does not need anything and it has not needed anything after Smash 64, and not all of the characters in that game were necessary either.
I'd argue that all the "needed" character were added by Brawl and from Smash 4 onward, we're essentially dealing with the metaphorical icing on the cake.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I mean, I could definitely see Splatoon getting multiple characters at some point if it remains huge. But maybe not multiple at once (so, like right now).

And about the weapons, a lot of them are essentially ”copies” of each other with different abilities. Like, all sloshers function the same anyway, for example. So main weapons alone, one Inkling moveset can pretty much showcase them all. Sub weapons are a different story I guess but most of them are bombs. And special weapons... probably just one for a Final Smash.
That’s why it depends how many weapons the inklings use. A clone wouldn’t use variants it would use a different weapon entirely.

Morbi

Scavenger
If you think she's blatantly dancing go play the game again or even just watch her reveal trailer. None of her move set is dancing.

I think you're crossing up the fact she's a character who is known to love to dance with what she's doing. There's nothing pedantic about it. It's simply IS.

And again this is why I'm not responding to you after this. That whole second paragraph is nothing more than a self congratulatory ''I think I'm right and you're dumb and you know I'm right so you're shutting up." paragraph

And no. It's just I know when someone is not worth the time and bud, you're not worth the time.
Oh, I was not expecting a response, especially not one where you came at me with "with some ''You've never played this" or ''Never done this" bull****." I already conceded, she poses in a dance-esque manner. There are two elements at play, her acrobatics and her guns. Two independent elements that make one coherent move-set. Hmm... :laugh:

What?

I am right, but you are not dumb. You just want to speak for other people and use that as a supporting argument for your own opinion. It is bad argumentation, nothing more, nothing less.

Apparently I am, or I would not be reading this.

Look, if Callie and Marie were to do the same as Bayonetta, incorporate poses and gunslinging, what makes that different to Bayonetta? The reality is, you cannot answer that question. Nobody can. Because there is no difference.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
IIRC in Splatoon Lore the favorite weapons of the idols are...

Callie: Roller (Melee)
Marie: Charger (sniper)

Pearl: Dualies (dual uzies)
Marina: Splatbrella (Shotgun/Sheild hybrid)

I'm thinking the Inklings will use a lot of sub-weapons but stick to the standard splattershot for ranged attacks so things could happen. No garuntee of course.

Side topic: About Mach Rider. I'm sure it's just internet misinformation but... wasn't Mach Rider a she in at least one version?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
So earlier today, Nintendo of America posted this image (https://www.instagram.com/p/BhhHMW1B16e/?hl=en&taken-by=nintendo) saying something about Isabelle looking forward to an unnamed event this weekend. I initially expected the Cherry Blossom Festival, especially based on the picture, but from the research I've been doing, the Cherry Blossom Festival should have already happened. Anyone think Nintendo may be hinting at revealing something (doesn't have to be Smash related) this weekend?

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
IIRC in Splatoon Lore the favorite weapons of the idols are...

Callie: Roller (Melee)
Marie: Charger (sniper)

Pearl: Dualies (dual uzies)
Marina: Splatbrella (Shotgun/Sheild hybrid)

I'm thinking the Inklings will use a lot of sub-weapons but stick to the standard splattershot for ranged attacks so things could happen. No garuntee of course.

Side topic: About Mach Rider. I'm sure it's just internet misinformation but... wasn't Mach Rider a she in at least one version?
Imagine a close range upbeat roller using Callie and a sarcastic dry sniper using Marie as playable characters, I think that’s plenty unique, and Pearl and Marina joining in the future would also be great as DLC or the next game. These are characters that have more personality than most of the newcomers people request.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
So earlier today, Nintendo of America posted this image (https://www.instagram.com/p/BhhHMW1B16e/?hl=en&taken-by=nintendo) saying something about Isabelle looking forward to an unnamed event this weekend. I initially expected the Cherry Blossom Festival, especially based on the picture, but from the research I've been doing, the Cherry Blossom Festival should have already happened. Anyone think Nintendo may be hinting at revealing something (doesn't have to be Smash related) this weekend?
I doubt they'd announce Animal Crossing Switch over the weekend and with the wording?

It gives me nightmare fuel for an Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival port and no thank you.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Regardless of the debate about whether or not Callie & Marie can work, I frankly don't see Splatoon getting two non-clone newcomers in the base roster of Switch.

Isabelle confirmed for Smash! After all, everything revolves around Smash!:troll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom