• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

There is going to be a Direct?

Maybe a Metroid Prime 4 teaser?

*talking to friends about that whack K.Rool bull**** where he kills you in 2 hits*
"Oh you can DI it"
Thank god, still going to be a huge problem for low level players
"Though he can follow DI with it"

Can we all just agree that a guaranteed kill at 38% with just 2 moves is the most ridiculous ****ing thing in this franchise?
Broken or not, K.Rool is my revenge on every Mario, Bayonetta and Sheik player that made fun of me at For Glory for being a Varia Samus main.

Goodbye Mario´s cape!

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
There is going to be a Direct?

Maybe a Metroid Prime 4 teaser?

Broken or not, K.Rool is my revenge on every Mario, Bayonetta and Sheik player that made fun of me at For Glory for being a Varia Samus main.

Goodbye Mario´s cape!
So you're going to take revenge from annoying players by playing an annoying character? Makes sense.

*talking to friends about that whack K.Rool bull**** where he kills you in 2 hits*
"Oh you can DI it"

Can we all just agree that a guaranteed kill at 38% with just 2 moves is the most ridiculous ****ing thing in this franchise?
No, Bayonetta is the most broken character in all 8 Smash games.

D

Deleted member

So you're going to take revenge from annoying players by playing an annoying character? Makes sense.

An annoying character that i always wanted to see in Smash.
And even if he gets nerfed, he will keep being a wonderful revenge.

D

Deleted member

I'm still waiting for the invincibility frames on Shulk's Monado Art activation to be useful enough to get people to ***** about how Shulk is op

WaxPython

Smash Ace
The DLC characters have now been discovered via datamining the files. Spoilers ahead. They are "DLC Placeholder1", "DLC Placeholder2", "DLC Placeholder3", "DLC Placeholder4", and "DLC Placeholder5",

D

Deleted member

The DLC characters have now been discovered via datamining the files. Spoilers ahead. They are "DLC Placeholder1", "DLC Placeholder2", "DLC Placeholder3", "DLC Placeholder4", and "DLC Placeholder5",
Damn.

I wanted "DLC Placeholder666"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Swear to god, K.Rool mains are gonna be the equivalent to Kid Buu and Blanka mains, AKA, piss in urinals while still wearing their pants and you must never look them in the eye
I'm still waiting for the invincibility frames on Shulk's Monado Art activation to be useful enough to get people to ***** about how Shulk is op
The day Shulk becomes top tier is the day I finally take Zero seriously.
Unless he just mains Diddy or Pikachu

Calane

Smash Ace
Personally, I think it's about time HAL finally makes a full 3D Kirby game. It seems like they've been experimenting with the idea a lot recently. I mean, they showed how Kirby's movement and basic gameplay would work in a 3D environment with 3D Rumble/Blowout Blast. They then went on to show how some of the copy abilities would work in 3D with Battle Royale. The next logical step would be to bring together all they've learned and go all out with the first, actual 3D Kirby adventure to really push the series into new territory.

Something about Star Allies felt like a giant celebration of the franchise, and almost like a "goodbye" to me. I don't know why, but everything about it made me feel like, after SA, they were going to move the series in a different direction. That was probably just me, but I think I'm ready to see HAL finally tackle a true 3D Kirby and put everything they have into making something special. I guess you could say that I want to see Kirby's "Super Mario 64". You know, like this big ambitious game that brings the series into 3D with a wildly different, but exciting experience that still keeps true to the heart of the series.

I don't think Kirby would work in a traditional, behind the back 3D style, but the camera style they got going with Blowout Blast is a perfect fit for the series. I think, if they were to actually do it, the series should probably become sort of an adventure game in the vein of something like Landstalker, for lack of a better comparison. I think it could work great with Kirby's world and gameplay. That's just where I'd take the series in 3D, though.

I know HAL can do it, and it would be awesome to see them finally just go for it.

...Uh, keeping this Smash related, Kirby is the character I'm looking forward to playing as the most.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Swear to god, K.Rool mains are gonna be the equivalent to Kid Buu and Blanka mains, AKA, piss in urinals while still wearing their pants and you must never look them in the eye

The day Shulk becomes top tier is the day I finally take Zero seriously.
Unless he just mains Diddy or Pikachu
Thanks for that free insult.
Of course i would main K.Rool, but even if he played like Varia Samus. He was my most wanted first party pick outside the Metroid franchise, so it is obvious that i will try to enjoy him.

But nah, let´s mix **** players with people who wanted him for years and want to finally try him.

Personally, I think it's about time HAL finally makes a full 3D Kirby game. It seems like they've been experimenting with the idea a lot recently. I mean, they showed how Kirby's movement and basic gameplay would work in a 3D environment with 3D Rumble/Blowout Blast. They then went on to show how some of the copy abilities would work in 3D with Battle Royale. The next logical step would be to bring together all they've learned and go all out with the first, actual 3D Kirby adventure to really push the series into new territory.

Something about Star Allies felt like a giant celebration of the franchise, and almost like a "goodbye" to me. I don't know why, but everything about it made me feel like, after SA, they were going to move the series in a different direction. That was probably just me, but I think I'm ready to see HAL finally tackle a true 3D Kirby and put everything they have into making something special. I guess you could say that I want to see Kirby's "Super Mario 64". You know, like this big ambitious game that brings the series into 3D, is a wildly different but exciting experience, and still keeps true to the heart of the series.

I don't think Kirby would work in a traditional, behind the back 3D style, but the camera style they got going with Blowout Blast is a perfect fit for the series. I think, if they were to actually do it, the series should probably become sort of an adventure game in the the vein of something like Landstalker, for lack of a better comparison. I think it could work great with Kirby's world and gameplay. That's just where I'd take the series in 3D, though.

I know HAL can do it, and it would be awesome to see them finally just go for it.

...Uh, keeping this Smash related, Kirby is the character I'm looking forward to playing as the most.
I want to play with every Metroid character, Ken, the Belmonts, Megaman, K.Rool and Incineroar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Thanks for that free insult.
Of course i would main K.Rool, but even if he played like Varia Samus. He was my most wanted first party pick outside the Metroid franchise, so it is obvious that i will try to enjoy him.

But nah, let´s mix **** players with people who wanted him for years and want to finally try him.
Man you must know nothing about how dumb Blanka and day one Kid Buu are. The joke is that these are the dumbest cheese characters in their respective games and K.Rool's gonna have the honour of being in that group by having down throw to up b as a near guaranteed kill

D

Deleted member

Man you must know nothing about how dumb Blanka and day one Kid Buu are. The joke is that these are the dumbest cheese characters in their respective games and K.Rool's gonna have the honour of being in that group by having down throw to up b as a near guaranteed kill
I don´t spam, so i probably won´t use that a lot.

Zeox

Smash Champion
SEE I TOLD YOU! I TOLD EVERYONE AND YOU ALL CALL ME A MADMAN! I KNEW DLC PLACEHOLDER3 WAS GONNA BE IN SMASH!!
WHO IS THE MADMAN NOW!?!?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!

D

Deleted member

I feel like the game's gonna come out, everyone will be spamming K.Rool in online and then, one week after release, the community will finally realize he is just Smash 3DS Bowser

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
"Oh you can DI it"

I mean, Puff in Melee can kill even earlier than that with U-Throw -> Rest, or jab reset -> Rest, or U-Air -> Rest, or really anything leading into Rest. Smash 64 also has some incredibly ridiculous combos, too many to mention really, it's practically stupid **** the game.

The K. Rool propeller carry seems super stupid, but there's not been done anywhere nearly enough testing to determine whether it's panic worthy, and worst case scenario it's one of those things that are pretty much guaranteed to be patched out.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I feel like the game's gonna come out, everyone will be spamming K.Rool in online and then, one week after release, the community will finally realize he is just Smash 3DS Bowser
Honestly Bowser terrifies me in this game, cause he's basically Smash 4 Bowser with better combos, killing power and armour on all his tilts and Smash attacks. He's also fast as **** so naturally, whenever my friends play him, I'll stay as far away as I can

WaxPython

Smash Ace
The joke is that these are the dumbest cheese characters in their respective games and K.Rool's gonna have the honour of being in that group by having down throw to up b as a near guaranteed kill
Ah the same characters that ar no problem for anyone who knows how to counter them. Such cheese much dumb...

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, Puff in Melee can kill even earlier than that with U-Throw -> Rest, or jab reset -> Rest, or U-Air -> Rest, or really anything leading into Rest. Smash 64 also has some incredibly stupid combos, too many to mention really.

The K. Rool propeller carry seems super stupid, but there's not been done anywhere nearly enough testing to determine whether it's panic worthy, and worst case scenario it's one of those things that are pretty much guaranteed to be patched out.
To be honest, Melee Jigglypuff was also pretty ridiculous.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Honestly Bowser terrifies me in this game, cause he's basically Smash 4 Bowser with better combos, killing power and armour on all his tilts and Smash attacks. He's also fast as **** so naturally, whenever my friends play him, I'll stay as far away as I can
He lost his kill confirm which was the bread and butter of Smash 4 Bowser. I'd wait before really passing judgement on him, initially Bowser always seems like he's super strong, but then his usual weaknesses rear their ugly head, and he plummets down the tier list.

To be honest, Melee Jigglypuff was also pretty ridiculous.
She was, even as someone who loves playing her in Melee I can admit that she can cheese her way to victory way too easily. She's such a difficult character to balance because of Rest, either you give her no combo game but make Rest super strong, or you give her a combo game but nerf Rest. Or you do what Brawl and Smash 4 did and just make her useless I guess.

D

Deleted member

That's what people thought in the Brawl->4 transition though.
I mean, Puff in Melee can kill even earlier than that with U-Throw -> Rest, or jab reset -> Rest, or U-Air -> Rest, or really anything leading into Rest. Smash 64 also has some incredibly ridiculous combos, too many to mention really, it's practically stupid **** the game.

"This incredibly unbalaced game has unbalaced **** so this other game being unbalaced isn't bad"

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
K. Rool can kill with two moves?

Hallelujah. Gonna try to master it before it inevitably gets patched out.

D

Deleted member

It's still surreal to me Metroid has 3 total characters and two of them were added om this game. Back when Smash 4 released, I still hadn't gotten over Ridley not being in so seeing Samus all alone was saddening. But now, my top 2 wants for the series are here.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
"This incredibly unbalaced game has unbalaced **** so this other game being unbalaced isn't bad"
I wasn't trying to make that point, I was commenting on how she stated K. Rool's propeller carry was the most ridiculous thing in the franchise, which as stupid as it is, it's not.

osby

Smash Obsessed
She was, even as someone who loves playing her in Melee I can admit that she can cheese her way to victory way too easily. She's such a difficult character to balance because of Rest, either you give her no combo game but make Rest super strong, or you give her a combo game but nerf Rest. Or you do what Brawl and Smash 4 did and just make her useless I guess.
It's not even just her, like why Fox's up throw up air kills at 50+?

It just does over ninety damage, it doesn't kill early, so it's okay.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It's not even just her, like why Fox's up throw up air kills at 50+?

It just does over ninety damage, it doesn't kill early, so it's okay.
A combo does 96% damage once you connect " it's ok that's fine, it doesn't kill" :crazy: poor light characters.

It seems that killing way was very intentional with how a lot of the characters can do the job. Most if not all will most likely get patched.

osby

Smash Obsessed
A combo does 96% damage once you connect " it's ok that's fine, it doesn't kill" :crazy: poor light characters.

It seems that killing way was very intentional with how a lot of the characters can do the job. Most if not all will most likely get patched.
Um, it was a joke.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting a game with over seventy characters to be balanced at day 1, anyway.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I have to agree with you.
Triple Deluxe is IMO the best modern Kirby game, even though people usually dislike it because Hypernova is boring (I don't think so, but it would have been cool to be able to skip that annoying cutscene at the beginning of each Hypernova section) or Pyribbit (I never had problems with it).
It's simply more creative, it has a better art style, more variety in stages and those in-game events like bringing light to the haunted house by opening the window, or the Waddle Dee fortress, etc.; the level design is the best of all the modern-era Kirby games.
It only gets boring near the end when they start rehashing old levels and using dimensional portals as an excuse for it, but all the modern Kirby games are kinda the same in that regard, they always get boring near the end.

Anyway, I think they saved Star Allies with the DLCs: not only they are pure fanservice, but they bring in some creative movesets, when the Kirby series was getting stale, reusing the same abilities over and over save for those 2 or 3 new ones each game. The level design is still weak though.
That's part of why I want a remake of Kirby 64, because it doesn't use the traditional abilities, and it would be an opportunity to create new original movesets for the mixed abilities who were mostly 1 move each in the original game.
The other part of the reason is because of the art style and the environments (especially the better use of 3D prespective and actual 3D environments despite the 2.5D gameplay), and a certain character being a main character in the game XD (but unlike what it seems, that's just a minor part of the reason).

And I think that HAL farms Kirby games at the speed of sound because that's pretty much all what they do and they got fast at making more. That's not even Nintendo's fault... though waiting a bit longer in order to increase the quality of a game would be cool.
Even when they were working on Boxboy, they still managed to make Kirby games pretty fast; that's the result of having a decently big company with more than 1 development team mostly working on just 1 series.
I played through Star Allies but I just had no fun playing it besides the slight enjoyment of being Marx and other characters like Bandanna Dee. It was just such a choir to get through. I even sold it before the free DLC.

But yeah 64 is by far my favorite Kirby (and Super Star of course). So much variety and such cool atmospheres.

I just want them to try something different for Kirby like they did with Mario and Zelda and seem to be doing for the upcoming Fire Emblem and Pokemon games. Take some risks.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I kind of forgot there was supposed to be a rumoured second Direct for this month. Probably because I was mainly interested in seeing the Smash Direct which already came and went a while ago. I wouldn't mind waiting until January for the next Direct but if there is one very soon then alright.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Everyone's angst about K. Rool makes me wanna break my "One Main Only" rule and have him as a main side by side with Inkling

It won't happen but still
He's one of the most hype characters this go around for me haha

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been planning on maining K. Rool, and I might have to make use of that combo as much as I can on my friends. At least before it’s patched haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom