• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
>Ness's dad (a sprite of a telephone) gets an icon
>the Absolutely Safe Capsule gets an icon
>Duster doesn't get an icon

Okay, is there some kind of weird gag going on here?

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I honestly feel like Chrom was the last (non-paid DLC) character added to the game, haha.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I just looked at the old Geno support thread for Brawl to see what Brawl speculation was like back in the day. I gotta say..

were people really that angry that there were only 35 characters?

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
What reason would the team have for purposefully glossing over Porky? I'm expecting something to be planned for him. A boss, a character, maybe even just free spirits and icons added overtime. I just find his absense super strange.
For one, it's fairly clear that Spirit selection was not the rote standardized selection process people are making it out to be. There's weird spirit choices across the board. It's fairly obvious they either

a. Picked characters specifically based on whether or not they could come up with a Spirit battle scenario for them (which would easily explain the absence of characters like Porky and Adeleine who don't have great matches the on the roster)

or

b. The people responsible for Spirits were largely given free reign to pick whatever tickled their fancies because the team wasn't taking PNG selections as seriously as some people here are.

Either way, in Porky's particular case I wouldn't be surprised if he was planned as a boss but was low priority and cut.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Etika is high profile enough that I'd entertain the idea that he MIGHT have gotten an early copy legitimately.

I don't think he's the brightest sometimes, but I don't think he's dumb enough to pirate a big game like that and advertise it either.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Duster has one. He was one of the ones shown in the Smash Direct as well.
Do you mean a spirit? He has a spirit, but not a player icon.

smash_icons3.png

At least he gets a spirit tho, Porky gets nothing, which is even weirder with the context of a phone being a player icon. Idk man

EDIT: Celica and Rex don't have icons either, even tho they have spirits (Celica shares them with Alm).

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I just looked at the old Geno support thread for Brawl to see what Brawl speculation was like back in the day. I gotta say..

Seven years between sequels is a long time, it got peoples hopes up.

D

Deleted member

Square Enix Fan Playing Ultimate: "Wow! This game is amazing! I hope we get Terra, Sora, Erdrick, Neku, Chrono, Lara Croft or 2B in this game!"
Vergeben:

At this rate, I might go a ****post spree.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

Ugh...The Brawl days of speculation. Speculation back then was a straight up mess, people did wanted Geno back then but honestly, the real competition for third parties back then after Snake got revealed was really between Sonic and MegaMan.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Surprisingly, a quick check of GameFAQs yields only one thread about the leaked SE list.

I surely thought they'd be crawling over it by now.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hey guys, remember the good ol' days of Brawl?
-Random tripping
-A CSS that was actually a complete rectangle
-The floaty knocknack
-The "top-notch" platforming in Subspace (don't @ me for this)
-And an 8 year old me thinking that I couldn't play in the "Group" section by myself for like... 2 1/2 years.

... Good times.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Master Hand has been confirmed to be playable during the WoL? That's pretty awesome if true. Only ever saw video for it for Melee so would be nice to get to play it at least once

Ezclapper

Smash Apprentice
Applies to Geno, DQ, and classic FF fans as well.

Sephiroth is the second worst outcome, only behind Slime.
I promise you it won't be Sephiroth lol that makes not a lot of logical sense and I doubt Nintendo would even attempt to ask for him. There is a reason why not a lot of people talked about him till today. Most likely DQ if I had to guess, I would love Sora though.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Do you mean a spirit? He has a spirit, but not a player icon.

At least he gets a spirit tho, Porky gets nothing, which is even weirder with the context of a phone being a player icon. Idk man

EDIT: Celica and Rex don't have icons either, even tho they have spirits (Celica shares them with Alm).
Yeah, I was mixing up icons and Spirits. Sorry about that.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't remember the Brawl aftermath fondly.... At all.

While I'm happy with pretty much any roster we get, the time of Brawl's leaks were....dreadful.

People thought Ness was cut due to how the English blog for Lucas was worded.

People discredited ROB entirely.

People thought Game and Watch was a one-and-done gimmick for some reason.

"Mewtwo? Where's Mewtwo?"

"Wolf? Not Krystal? UGH!"

Not fun times.

D

Deleted member

Ugh...The Brawl days of speculation. Speculation back then was a straight up mess, people did wanted Geno back then but honestly, the real competition for third parties back then after Snake got revealed was really between Sonic and MegaMan.
At this point has thrown the whole allstar 3rd party thing out the window cough cough :ultbayonetta:cough cough

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Sonic and Mega Man? Who won?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

We were so young back then, we didn't realize, didn't understand. Back then we just based our thoughts and feelings off of the perfect rectangle of 35 characters, we couldn't have known that there were actually thirty-NINE characters. Wolf and Ike were clones, It was a simpler time....

D

Deleted member

Yeah but with Bartz Klauser, you'd get Clash on the Big Bridge.

AND THE MIGHTY GILGAMESH.
You can't let down Gilgamesh, man.
Um.. can have a 30 page report on what the heck that is by Tuesday

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Id argue that a lot of people not talking about Sephi till today came a great deal from the SE is stingy argument more than anything. Along with not thinking we would get a second character from the same series and possibly some bias mixed in where there are other characters like Geno people are hungry for.

Honestly outside Geno and Sora and something DQ not much came up for conversation for SE reps. Even then I do recall Tifa and Sephiroth at least being mentioned a couple times before this.

osby

Smash Obsessed
People thought Game and Watch was a one-and-done gimmick for some reason.
"There's no way R.O.B. will return, everyone hated him."

"So, we can all agree that Wii Fit Trainer is the first to be cut."

One day...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The only thing I remember from Brawl speculation was that Lyn wasn't in it.
I was SO certain that the Lord of "Fire Emblem" as they called it would get in.

****in' hours lost replaying FE7 making a moveset for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom