• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Project M Lucario was so cool and everyday I lament its absence.
"Powering up for getting hit? **** that, how about powering up by GETTING hits?"

Seriously, Smash's Aura is super dumb.
Making Lucario a Street Fighter character was also pretty dumb.

beans

Smash Lord
If Crono got playable I’d hope we got atleast 1 or 2 songs from Cross.
The FF OST debacle makes me really hope for a miracle wtih Chrono Trigger tracks already
More than 2 atleast.

>Cross being mentioned
I can hear Shishoe's heavy steps to the computer

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Okay think about this from square prospective which one is more profitable Geno or Sora Geno game is dead with no new remake anytime soon and while they would get Some money Sora would make the most out of thr both of them cause Kingdom hearts is still popular Sora is very marketable and he has a new game coming soon which would help boost pr Square knows smash fans want Geno but if they had to choose only one Sora would make the most sense cause the end of the day they are a business trying to get as much money as possible
punctuation is your friend.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
So, it seems that in the Geno thread we have a DM or something from Vergeben about the SE character list, so I guess he feels safer about sharing them, at least privately. No pictures were shown, but it seems to have been verified with other members there (not me, I just looked through the pages).

This is apparently all of the names Vergeben has heard:

-Erdick
-Luminary/DQ 11 protagonist
-Slime
-Sephiroth
-Crono
-Geno
-Sora

Supposedly he was out-right told that it wasn't Sora, and for Geno to not take him too seriously.

You can see it talked about in the last few or so pages of the Geno thread, I dunno.
The only characters that I'd be alright with on the " list are Sora, Sephiroth, Crono, and Slime. Specifically the first two.

I'd be REALLY annoyed if it ended up being Luminary.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Okay think about this from square prospective which one is more profitable Geno or Sora Geno game is dead with no new remake anytime soon and while they would get Some money Sora would make the most out of thr both of them cause Kingdom hearts is still popular Sora is very marketable and he has a new game coming soon which would help boost pr Square knows smash fans want Geno but if they had to choose only one Sora would make the most sense cause the end of the day they are a business trying to get as much money as possible

It depends on what Square prefers, short term income or long term income. Yes Geno would be profitable, for a short while. Sora or DQ rep for example would be profitable long term wise. Because it helps draw interest in their recent games. Or vice versa people who are fans of those games draw interest in Smash bros. Geno does not have this option, nor will he have a new game because Nintendo wouldn't want competition to their Mario & Luigi RPG's. So if we are talking strictly financially then Sora or a DQ rep would make both Square and Nintendo more money. Its like this would you want 1,000 dollars now, or $50 every week for the rest of year.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Probably old news, but on the big spoiler guy...

It's gotta be fake. Master Hand would've been number 70, and that's Piranha Plant. Plus, if he's 0, he'd have to come directly before Mario on the CSS.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Lowkey wish they reworked Megaman moveset it just feels so awkward his up air can stay though

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Is the 350 games being played still how you unlock characters? I saw something that showed you had to play Classic Mode or WoL.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
It was fine (though it needed a heavy balance) imo but competitive crowd hate not being able to micromanage decimals.
I feel like it doesn't reward the other player for being a better player, which is what competition is about proving.
Great for casual play though. The ability to toggle it is very welcome

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

It's gotta be fake. Master Hand would've been number 70, and that's Piranha Plant. Plus, if he's 0, he'd have to come directly before Mario on the CSS.
His playability isn't like the other characters, it seems like he's restricted to one type of fight, in a similar style to Mob/Multi-Man Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I kind of agree, it made him play too differently from the rest of the cast. He was still fun the mess around with and wasn't useless at 0%.
Brawl Lucario was hardly useless at 0%, he could keep up with a decent amount of the cast with the moves that don't rely on aura until the fight drags on.

Smash For Lucario, on the other hand...

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I think it's probably Sephiroth or Erdrick. Crono would be really cool but would be a left-field pick, especially when they could have gone for Geno as the retro nostalgia pick. Luminary would be good to advertise DQ, but passing over the most recognizable DQ character (besides Slime, and Eight in the west) would be a bit weird. I wish it could be Slime tho, it seems like it would have the most unique moveset.

I'm not sure who I actually want. I wanted Geno mostly for the fans, I never finished his game, and my personal pick would have probably been Sora, Bub & Bob, or possibly 2B or Lara Croft or Max Caulfield or Chloe Price. At this point everything is so confused that it's basically gonna be a surprise for me no matter what happens.

D

Deleted member

He’s not actually a character. Seems like it’s sort of a playable boss mode.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I think a lot of people forget that licensing rights are very tedious and specific.
Just because Geno was a costume in a previous iteration, doesn't necessarily mean that SE gave Nintendo permission to make him a character for a different title.

Also, on the topic of SMRPG and their spirits/icons being in the game, it's probably Sakurai and the Smash team requesting for their imagery/likeness.
Not necessarily Square Enix warming up to the "idea" of their previous cross-over and giving it to them. Just the fact that Nintendo was willing to pay them for it, and they agreed to it.

It's kinda the reason why very few FF7 content is in Smash.
It's not that Square Enix hates the franchise and refuses to put any content.
In fact, I'd say it's the opposite. They use Cloud and the other FF7 characters to this day, and they recognize and embrace that it's a beloved and iconic game.
It's just the rights to use the imagery and songs cost too much for Nintendo to even bother with, so it's not placed in the game.
It's a bit of false equivalency.

Also, like many other people have mentioned before, SE focuses on characters that promote a product or/and have some height of popularity.
2B, Noctis, and Cloud all hit those marks. They're practically recognizable to a large swath of people who play games, and those games or associated products still make a lot of revenue for SE.
And at the end of the day, Geno straight up doesn't hit those marks, nor will it bring in a large crowd like the rest of their IPs.
He's relegated to an "underpreformed" spin off game, where it was the only time he was playable or heavily featured. While, yes, the dedicated fanbase for him got a costume because of it. I'm afraid that's all they're going to land.
So based off of all of that, I honestly don't see him happening for DLC. So I definitely wouldn't keep your hopes up.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I'm of two minds.
A Master Hand Mode seems completely plausible and it seems several people are reporting "a surprise" at the end of WoL. That said, wouldn't we have seen something in the data before the nonexistent Home Run Contest first? I really don't know. Also, how did that guy get all the Spirits so fast? I don't know what to think yet.

Last edited:

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Rage and comeback mechanics are fine but when you base an entire character's gameplan around it, I got problems fam-o. At least now I actually have a shot a making a comeback if I'm two stocks behind because I have a more solid all around gameplan.

Eru13

Smash Apprentice

Untouch

Smash Master
So what, is it a specific gamemode, and if so, what do you do in it?
it's a single fight with 50 characters right before the final boss, which has a massive SSE like platforming section before it, unknown if you unlock a mode if you free all the spirits though

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
im watching the stream (wont be linking, sorry, dont want it taken down), it's real
it's a single fight with 50 characters right before the final boss, which has a massive SSE like platforming section before it, unknown if you unlock a mode if you free all the spirits though
Alright can't wait for the Master Hand thread to get its own sub-section.

Also, Master Hand fight in Story Mode? Looks like he's getting revenge on Galeem and whoever for knocking him out and cloning him/using him as a puppet.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Can someone PLEASE post the supposed leaked Vergeben DM. Or at least the characters on it?
The three characters he's heard the most are:

Sephiroth
Crono
DQ character (Erdrick, Luminary from DQXI, or Slime, but he's only heard Slime from one person)

The other characters he's heard are:

Geno (but he says not to take him too seriously)
and Sora (but only to say that he's not in the game unfortunately)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So you play as Master Hand and take down 50 fighters?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
im watching the stream (wont be linking, sorry, dont want it taken down), it's real
You know, as much as I would have loved to have this not spoiled for me, I don't think I actually feel bad knowing about it.

I don't think I'm going to be any less hype.

The only difference now is that I probably won't cry
I'm a huge sentimental crybaby when I'm shocked with something so hype out of the blue, especially considering how long I've been playing the series haha

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Periods and commas are essential to a paragraph, my friend. :dizzy:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He's relegated to an "underpreformed" spin off game
This isn’t true as far as I can tell. I can’t find a source on a nintendo/square representative saying the game underperformed, and a quick bit of research tells me the game did pretty well for itself. Hell, globally it’s the 19th best selling SNES game, even surpassing chrono trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom