• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Geno seems weird cause om the other hand the smash community has been asking for him a long time but on the other hand he is from a dead game and only appeared and one game and it would make sense to put Sora cause of pr
Technically, he had that cameo in the og Mario and Luigi superstar saga game

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So I have a question, if this dm is real, why tf has verge said nothing about Sora not being in?
Because at the end of the day, Sora was part of the list of Seven. It was a known fact, just that he heard it wasn't him.
He didn't said anything because, what if he talked, and actually, Sora was the one?

That's why he's trying to find who the **** is the SE characters, it probably exist, but no way to know who as a lot of names are thrown arround with conflicting information and personal biases in.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Sora makes the most sense cause of kh3 and would make Square way more money than Geno and Square really likes Money

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
tbh, if SE really saw Geno as a joke and didn't care about him nor SMRPG itself at all, you'd think they wouldn't have allowed Geno's and Mallow's presence in Smash nor include SMRPG music in Fortune Street...
I don't think Square sees Geno as a joke. They just do not prioritize Geno as much as their bigger characters. Square does realize Geno is popular within Smash demand. However we have to look at the whole picture. You take Geno's popularity out of Smash and just stack him popularity wise against the other big Square characters. Geno is not that popular then, he is maybe top ten. Definitely not top 5 popular Square characters. His game itself is not top 5 games from Square Enix. When you look at Geno in this context it makes sense why Square would not want to push for him. Finally Geno does not represent Square as a company, nor does he help them cross promote. Square as we weve seen before always wants this, that is what really hurts Geno's chances. Square might have added Geno in Smash in a small way just to appease fans, however adding him as a playable character is something else entirely. Its more likely Square will want to add their big name characters, who are in their top favorite Square characters and are from the top favorite Square games.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
For this I'll say it's a middle ground.

People overreact the SQUARE DOESNT CARE ABOUT GENO LMAO HES A WHO effect.

But the smash Community also overblown how much it means for Square-Enix too. In the end, it's an IP like another one they have, just that it's linked to Mario, and if they don't want to make it playable, they don't make it playable?

He have his chances, but he's not the Square-Enix Messiah the Geno thread make him look like for exemple
I think I'll give them this.

The fact there has already been an internal conversation between Square and Nintendo that lead to Geno returning twice in some capactity and now he's brought Mallow with him, which indicates they discussed further SMRPG content together.

It's promising?

But it's not a 100 percent either. It just means that unlike the other potential Square characters, we know that there has been a discussion of adding more content from his game to Smash, but we don't know that for any other Square franchise.

And that's all I'll give them. They're good people, but they are potentially setting themselves up for a disappointment based on the things that do seem to favor them.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Geno is just too dead for square enix to use a cash cow Sora would make more money and pr so Sora is likely for a Square enix rep unless they become Nice and decide to give us Geno even though he makes less money which i will doubt cause they are kinda if stingy

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
OKAY THAT'S DOPE AND I'M SERIOUSLY GONNA PICK UP PUFF FOR KICKS

Aside from that, some Falcon stuff and a handful of Inkling stuff, I haven't seen anything else on Twitter.
You know how hard it was as a Smash 4 Puff main? She was so ungodly bad. I'm happy she has combos in this game that arent fair->fair->fair

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Geno seems weird cause om the other hand the smash community has been asking for him a long time but on the other hand he is from a dead game and only appeared and one game and it would make sense to put Sora cause of pr
It would make sense for them to put any other character in there from the major franchises. Kingdom Hearts, Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy are all series that are consistently getting new games.

I would prefer Geno if only for the Geno fans (as an Isaac fan I know the pain), but I don’t see it as likely. Geno had a Mii costume, so if that was taken away I don’t see why SE would have a problem with Sakurai implementing a Geno and Mallow spirit. He was already in the series in some form.

D

Deleted member

Remember kids:

If you are kind, peaceful, nice and good to Sakurai; he could make your character op.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sora makes the most sense cause of kh3 and would make Square way more money than Geno and Square really likes Money
That's an interesting claim. Can you prove that, a company "really likes" financial gain? I'm going to need citation on that one.

beans

Smash Lord
So I have a question, if this dm is real, why tf has verge said nothing about Sora not being in?
You never can be too sure about something
Right now Ultimate is his best leak history
I would risk something until complete certainty

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
I don't think Square sees Geno as a joke. They just do not prioritize Geno as much as their bigger characters. Square does realize Geno is popular within Smash demand. However we have to look at the whole picture. You take Geno's popularity out of Smash and just stack him popularity wise against the other big Square characters. Geno is not that popular then, he is maybe top ten. Definitely not top 5 popular Square characters. His game itself is not top 5 games from Square Enix. When you look at Geno in this context it makes sense why Square would not want to push for him. Finally Geno does not represent Square as a company, nor does he help them cross promote. Square as we weve seen before always wants this, that is what really hurts Geno's chances. Square might have added Geno in Smash in a small way just to appease fans, however adding him as a playable character is something else entirely. Its more likely Square will want to add their big name characters, who are in their top favorite Square characters and are from the top favorite Square games.

I'd probably argue that Geno isn't even top 10 in Square's roster. Not only is Final Fantasy a big chunk of what people think of when they hear that company, SMRPG hasn't been relevant outside of Smash Bros. or Mario in years.

Neku from The World Ends with You has a better shot because that game just recently got a remaster on the Switch what, two months ago?

Untouch

Smash Master
Agree it doesn't help that Slime is a regular enemy in DQ11 and DQ Builders2. Mascot or no, its still just putting a regular enemy as your choice. This is something Square has not done before. Yes it had a solo game before, but in the recent games its just a regular enemy. That in my opinion does hurt Slimes chances.

Heres an example of Slime being a regular enemy in DQ 11
He's the only Dragon Quest character in Mario Sports Mix and is the face of Dragon Quest in Fortune Street.
This is absolutely something Square Enix has done before, multiple times.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That's an interesting claim. Can you prove that, a company "really likes" financial gain? I'm going to need citation on that one.
Considering they’re selling to a demographic that seems to be personally obsessed with him, and the fact that Square would have to split Sora’s revenue with Disney, the difference probably isn’t as big as people think.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
That doesn't make us toxic or make Sakurai deserve any extra sympathy. We know he worked hard, but to say "poor sakurai" cause some people pirated it is a little much. Literally everything is stolen. Games, food, toys, etc. He's already breaking sale records with this games. He'll be fine
I can't help but feel a little down about it, just because I think it's kind of lame to distribute the rom before it's even officially available. But idk. Emotions and all that.

I'd probably argue that Geno isn't even top 10 in Square's roster. Not only is Final Fantasy a big chunk of what people think of when they hear that company, SMRPG hasn't been relevant outside of Smash Bros. or Mario in years.

Neku from The World Ends with You has a better shot because that game just recently got a remaster on the Switch what, two months ago?
There's no way it's Neku.

but God I wish it was Neku.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Remember kids:

If you are kind, peaceful, nice and good to Sakurai; he could make your character op.
Look, us Lucario mains haven't sent Sakurai any angry tweets and we had to rely on him being a wack comeback character in 4 for years. Make the aura dog as busted Super Turbo Akuma please.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
He's the only Dragon Quest character in Mario Sports Mix and is the face of Dragon Quest in Fortune Street.
If Slime has to be the playable DQ rep then I dibs metal slime.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can you prove that I need to prove that companies like money?
Checkomato-dah.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I wonder if we're getting Crono along with a Chrono Trigger Switch port.

Seeing that Slime has been used as the playable DQ character before, though, I can it see it happening too.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Considering they’re selling to a demographic that seems to be personally obsessed with him, and the fact that Square would have to split Sora’s revenue with Disney, the difference probably isn’t as big as people think.
Can you prove that I need to prove that companies like money?
Checkomato-dah.
It was a joke.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
That game was made by Square Enix and he was not the only DQ rep. Also when it comes to fighting game representation Square never adds a regular enemy as their rep. It is always the hero of the game, this is why we have Noctis in Tekken and not a Moogle. We have to keep in mind this time it would only be one character, would Square really push for a character that is a regular enemy in their recent two games? That is not something Square does if it is a DQ rep it will most likely be The Luminary or Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

Slime has a pretty decent shot imo, simply due to the fact that he’s pretty iconic. This is purely an anecdote, but I remember playing DQ 9 nearly a decade ago, and for what it’s worth slime stuck in my memory despite my limited exposure to the series prior. Slime and that black knight guy are the only characters I really remember from that game.
also it’s been nearly a decade now, wow where has the time gone

beans

Smash Lord
I think if there's a company that doesn't like financial gain, it's Square Enix.
A whisper in the wind escapes everybodies mind.
As if a crime forgotten but not a sin forgiven.
Final Fantasy All the Bravest
Snowing on Mt. Fuji

Untouch

Smash Master
To be honest, I want Slime, but if we get any DQ character or Crono i'd be perfectly satisfied.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Look, us Lucario mains haven't sent Sakurai any angry tweets and we had to rely on him being a wack comeback character in 4 for years. Make the aura dog as busted Super Turbo Akuma please.
You had your glory with project M. Now continue to accept this dumb ass mechanic that rewards you for getting hit

Last edited:

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Okay think about this from square prospective which one is more profitable Geno or Sora Geno game is dead with no new remake anytime soon and while they would get Some money Sora would make the most out of thr both of them cause Kingdom hearts is still popular Sora is very marketable and he has a new game coming soon which would help boost pr Square knows smash fans want Geno but if they had to choose only one Sora would make the most sense cause the end of the day they are a business trying to get as much money as possible

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Project M Lucario was so cool and everyday I lament its absence.
"Powering up for getting hit? **** that, how about powering up by GETTING hits?"

Seriously, Smash's Aura is super dumb.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So, it seems that in the Geno thread we have a DM or something from Vergeben about the SE character list, so I guess he feels safer about sharing them, at least privately. No pictures were shown, but it seems to have been verified with other members there (not me, I just looked through the pages).

This is apparently all of the names Vergeben has heard:

-Erdick
-Luminary/DQ 11 protagonist
-Slime
-Sephiroth
-Crono
-Geno
-Sora

Supposedly he was out-right told that it wasn't Sora, and for Geno to not take him too seriously.

You can see it talked about in the last few or so pages of the Geno thread, I dunno.
Mmhmm. Sephiroth in the potential pipeline? I love the sounds of that.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait, is Master Hand playable in WoL at some point?

The 4chan post says you unlock him after collecting all Spirits, and later on the OP (supposedly, they're anonymous) mentions he's only playable in Stamina mode and you unlock his own mode, which sounds like it's basically Multi-Man Melee based on what was said.

Someone else in that thread also thought the Marx boss was an obvious Brawl mod :p

Last edited by a moderator:

yvngfoxtrot

Smash Cadet
NNID
CharlesFoxtrot
Switch FC
SW 2846-8790-7007
Wow could you imagine if they added Sephiroth?

That would mean SE would have to put in another song.
Yeah it's not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom