• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm honestly going to have a bit of a chuckle if there is a Day 1 Patch that adds more Spirits into the game that are seemingly missing.

If I were Sakurai, I would have put in the Nintendo owned DLC picks as Spirits just to throw people off their trail though.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Canon? What is a 'canon' to Smash? Never heard such a thing.
There we go, you proved my point! Actually, you responded because I compared Mario's inability to using fireballs without the aid of something to Arturia's reliance on Invisible Air. My original argument was that if he can use power-ups in Smash without possessing any of the key traits (like red overalls and white clothes or a flowing yellow cape), she should be able to have Excalibur at all times. This got silly really fast.
chins.png

Well, they could just put some leggings on both of them and cover up the boob windows and it should be fine.
Assuming Sakurai or whoever the director is wants them in Smash 6.
I mean, they could, but will they? It just seems like either Sakurai won't care/forget about Xenoblade 2 in general by the time he's put to work on Smash 6, or the new guy (IF Sakurai surrenders control of the franchise) even holds the same level of passion as the guy we have now. I kind of fear that possibility actually. Better the devil you know.

eh not really. if the next smash game isn't as obsessed about hitting that e10+ rating then they have a chance.
Gosh, I hope so. I highly doubt there will be a Smash 6 though. So much has happened in Ultimate that it feels like any roster downgrade would bring that game down on a lot of eyes. The only feasible way to handle the current situation is to...include the...uncensored versions...in DLC past the first Pass. Oh my gosh, I completely forgot that DLC isn't rated.

This doesn't change anything.
I'm assuming you mean that censorship of the Xenoblade 2 girls do not affect Rex's chances at being considered in the future beyond the Fighter's Pass. Am I right on the dot?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Duely noted, but looking at their sales numbers, well, I can't tell if that's 'good' for Gamecube standards or not.

And still, that doesn't really excuse the absence of Sylux while the other 5 Hunters have a Spirit.
Doing further research it seems Prime 1 was the 7th best selling game on the Gamecube, so pretty good overall. Although it obviously still couldn't compete with stuff like Sunshine, Wind Waker and of course Melee, it still beat out both Pokémon titles, Sonic Adventure 2 and every Mario Party game on the system.

Also, iirc not every single other Hunter is a Spirit, just Trace and Kanden. It's still pretty suspicious though, with Prime 4 coming up you would think they'd at least want to give Sylux a Spirit so Smash players will at least vaguely recognize him. I'm not reading into Spirits too much atm, but it does raise a few eyebrows.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Duely noted, but looking at their sales numbers, well, I can't tell if that's 'good' for Gamecube standards or not.

And still, that doesn't really excuse the absence of Sylux while the other 5 Hunters have a Spirit.
Only 2 of the hunters have a spirit. Sylux isnt the only one

D

Deleted member

I love how some missing PNGs are enough to make you guys go from "Promotional DLC/mostly 3rd Party" to "SYLUX AND PORKEY AND ADELEINE ARE IN!!!!!"

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
1) No it wouldn't. Square-Enix could literally have been working on it since the Switch's release an announce it for release tomorrow for all we know..even if they started it today, it still wouldn't likely take more then a year.

2) I didn't directly say he was the most wanted, I said he was amongst the most wanted. This isn't a fanbase bias thing, its a looking at who a lot of people are talking about and hoping for. Sora is amongst the biggest ones brought up. Sora is certainly more popular then Shantae and Bomberman though and Legacy, in this case, isn't measured through time but quality, impact, and popularity, hence why Minecraft can have a legacy despite being fairly new all things considered.

3) They could, but Final Fantasy IX, X, X-2, XII, Crystal Chronicles, or Chocobo's Dungeon don't have characters on the level of Cloud's (Squall would be the one to come closest) and I don't think they'd add another Final Fantasy VII character even if Sephiroth is popular. As I've said before though, characters aren't always chosen to market upcoming games, sometimes they chosen to broaden the fanbase of Smash by including popular characters (such as Cloud) to entice people to pick up Super Smash Bros. or at the very least spend the money to buy the DLC. In fact, this is more often the case for Guest Characters then marketing. Nintendo isn't stupid enough to only look at marketing games, they would look at marketing Smash itself to currently non-Smash fans as well, which a character from a series with a fanbase like Sora's would definitely do.

And again, if Sora got in, it would NOT be Square-Enix representation nor would they be involved as anything more then a consultant because Kingdom Hearts is 100% owned by Disney outside of actual Final Fantasy/TWEWY characters and other non-Disney owned IPs like half of the Pixar content and Tarzan. So having Sora along with Neku, a DQ rep, or whatever would not be having two Square-Enix representatives, it would be one Disney and one Square-Enix.
1) That's.. kinda wishful thinking, don't you think?

2) More talked about isn't necessarily equivalent to most wanted. That would be Waluigi. No, for starters Sora is not Kingdom Hearts, just part of it. Bomberman IS the game. So sorry but what Bomberman left for gaming is far richer than what Sora did. Again, you're investing way too much emotions into your analysis. This is not how things are looked at, just saying. Hint: I think you're mixing Disney's history with Sora.

3) True, that could be a reason. It's a better argument than your latter. Then again, what's closest and have that broader base too is Dragon Quest. There's really no telling of how their marketing mindset works, this is all but assumptions and speculations, none of us know what they're thinking. I mean, Piranha plant.. what fanbae that has broadened? X)

I'm not sure, but I don't think Square has zero say on this, this is way belittling their stature in the project. FF chars. are as important to Square. It's not totally up to Disney, that's what I believe.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I love how some missing PNGs are enough to make you guys go from "Promotional DLC/mostly 3rd Party" to "SYLUX AND PORKEY AND ADELEINE ARE IN!!!!!"
The first two have people still believing in Promotional DLC as a means to justify why they'd be DLC and not whoever else. Since it also buys into Spirits can't be playable. Sylux's runback in Prime 4 and supposedly a Mother 3 port. Not that Mother 3's getting a re-release anytime this decade, but whatever.

They do at least play into each other to some extent. I just don't agree with that since the evidence is flimsy, as much as I like Sylux.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
So well, you've heard this first from me..
You know, DLCs don't necessarily have to be character oriented. It could simply be a company oriented.
Say for example, Microsoft. So a Microsoft DLC would include: Banjo as playable, a Minecraft stage + Boss and music from both or even more from other MS titles (Halo for instance).
I think this is what Nintendo should go for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My wanting for Alucard is now only rivaled by my want for Sypha. Why can't we have the CV3 gang?
Tbf one of those is possible as a promotional pick
Sylux would be a worse promotional pick than Corrin because unless he's HEAVILY featured in Prime 4, no one is gonna go "yeah that's the guy from that new game".
And I'd rather get a better Metroid character if people are gonna cry about it being over repped. Give me Kraid or make some weird **** to get Mother Brain or an actual Metroid playable.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
You know, DLCs don't necessarily have to be character oriented. It could simply be a company oriented.
Say for example, Microsoft. So a Microsoft DLC would include: Banjo as playable, a Minecraft stage + Boss and music from both or even more from other MS titles (Halo for instance).
It's not impossible but it would be one heck of a decision

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sounds like that would cause a lot of unnecessary licensing issues, not to mention that it'd be one giant mess of completely unrelated content. "Buy Banjo and you'll get a Minecraft stage with all your favorite tracks from Halo!"

If we get a Microsoft character, I expect that character's franchise to be repped and nothing else. We've never gotten "company oriented" content before, and I doubt DLC is the appropriate time for Nintendo to worry about getting the rights for simple things like music and Spirits.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is all silly when the real DLC lineup based on missing Spirits is totally going to be Ricky Winterborn, the girl from the Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle Opening Movie, Doshin the Giant, Travis Touchdown (promotional pick), and a Style Savvy protagonist from a later game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My wanting for Alucard is now only rivaled by my want for Sypha. Why can't we have the CV3 gang?

Sylux would be a worse promotional pick than Corrin because unless he's HEAVILY featured in Prime 4, no one is gonna go "yeah that's the guy from that new game".
And I'd rather get a better Metroid character if people are gonna cry about it being over repped. Give me Kraid or make some weird **** to get Mother Brain or an actual Metroid playable.
I agree, especially as Sylux has a lackluster moveset so far due to Hunters' single player clearly not being the focus. Just saying that Sylux is getting built up and fits the idea of Nintendo only wanting characters from new games for DLC. Sylux has some big shoes to fill to get people hyped as so far they're primarily "That one person from a decade old game"

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
idk if this is the right place to ask but here we go

I'm preloading Smash on my australian eshop account. When would I have access to it? 12am aussie time December 7th?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
idk if this is the right place to ask but here we go

I'm preloading Smash on my australian eshop account. When would I have access to it? 12am aussie time December 7th?
That would be correct
This is all silly when the real DLC lineup based on missing Spirits is totally going to be Ricky Winterborn, the girl from the Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle Opening Movie, Doshin the Giant, Travis Touchdown (promotional pick), and a Style Savvy protagonist from a later game.
**** you Style Savvy would be dope

Graizen

Smash Champion
In terms of DLC.....

Would sell my switch:
Agumon

Wouldn't buy and would be pissed:
Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Rayman, Joker, and Dixie Kong.

Would be meh with:
Sora, Geno, Monster Hunter, Slime, Dante
I hope you get someone to buy it for a good price

D

Deleted member

I support Style Savvy because most characters don't know how to dress themselves up.
Simon? Did you get those clothes in a dumpster?
Chrom? What's up with that asymmetry?
Bowser? Is that fetish gear?
Mario? Are you really wearing that?
Corrin? I'm not even gonna ask...

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
it would be great if style savvy dlc happened and added a bunch of new costume alts for characters as well. I dont even know if this would be possible but it would be neat.

D

Deleted member

Style Savvy joining Smash and seeing the **** all these people are wearing
114e2c9f-e0db-48ac-8fc7-f865beca0097.png

Last edited by a moderator:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well ****, now I'm mad.
Not only can you have Robin and Chrom stand side by side, but you can also have Chrom clapping for Robin and Chrom while standing beside a Mii wearing a Chrom outfit.

It’s a Chromception.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Just a Stylist or Angelique or Sophie assist trophy that tosses the fighters a new set of clothes would be fantastic. But a brightly colored stage with all new music and a fighter, that's the dream.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Style Savvy joining Smash and seeing the **** all these people are wearing
View attachment 179929
Then she just grabs Zero Suit over the shoulders (an amazing feat as Samus is pretty muscular, and muscle weighs more than fat) and drags her ass to her spaceship, you hear Samus complain before hearing "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU WEARING THOSE GODDAMN YELLOW BOOTS BLUE AND YELLOW ARE NOT COMPLIMENTARY"

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If Style Savvy gets in, she better be super broken, and the best character in the game...
I want to see EVO matches with her completely destroying the completion...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
LOOK I'M JUST SAYING ONLY THE SHOP ASSISTANT IS A SPIRIT THERE'S NOTHING ABOUT THE BOUTIQUE OWNER FROM THE LATER GAMES
or yknow, Grace, Sophie, Angelique, Alina, Yolanda... There's options.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Not entirely true, Geno mii costume came with cloud dlc or at least released on the same date.

I think Bayonetta was released along sonic mii costumes. So mixing different Ip dlc content isnt really a strange concept. I wouldnt look too hard into what we are getting and just take it as face value.
All we can say for sure is that we are getting a stage, character, and music. I dont believe it was specified it would all be from the same series.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What's Mario!
Mario Dewar Barrett (born August 27, 1986),[1] known mononymously as Mario, is an American singer, songwriter, actor, record producer and model. He is known for his singles "Just a Friend" (2002) and "Let Me Love You" (2004), which won him two BillboardMusic Awards, as well as for appearing in the films Step Up and Freedom Writers. He has released four studio albums: Mario (2002), Turning Point (2004), Go(2007), and D.N.A. (2009). At the end of the 2000s decade, Mario was ranked #98 by Billboard on their "Artist of the Decade" list.[2]

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not entirely true, Geno mii costume came with cloud dlc or at least released on the same date.

I think Bayonetta was released along sonic mii costumes. So mixing different Ip dlc content isnt really a strange concept. I wouldnt look too hard into what we are getting and just take it as face value.
All we can say for sure is that we are getting a stage, character, and music. I dont believe it was specified it would all be from the same series.
In all fairness, Geno is an inactive, niche character who's entirely associated with the Mario series, and the licensing for Sonic was already out of the way when Bayo got added.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems VERY unlikely Sakurai would do something like a "Microsoft theme". If I purchase Banjo, I expect a Banjo stage, not a Minecraft stage.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
There we go, you proved my point! Actually, you responded because I compared Mario's inability to using fireballs without the aid of something to Arturia's reliance on Invisible Air. My original argument was that if he can use power-ups in Smash without possessing any of the key traits (like red overalls and white clothes or a flowing yellow cape), she should be able to have Excalibur at all times. This got silly really fast.
View attachment 179922

I mean, they could, but will they? It just seems like either Sakurai won't care/forget about Xenoblade 2 in general by the time he's put to work on Smash 6, or the new guy (IF Sakurai surrenders control of the franchise) even holds the same level of passion as the guy we have now. I kind of fear that possibility actually. Better the devil you know.

Gosh, I hope so. I highly doubt there will be a Smash 6 though. So much has happened in Ultimate that it feels like any roster downgrade would bring that game down on a lot of eyes. The only feasible way to handle the current situation is to...include the...uncensored versions...in DLC past the first Pass. Oh my gosh, I completely forgot that DLC isn't rated.

I'm assuming you mean that censorship of the Xenoblade 2 girls do not affect Rex's chances at being considered in the future beyond the Fighter's Pass. Am I right on the dot?
I'm not really that serious as a person. Sorry as this has dragged on.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
A little fun news:

Myrtha has been censored a Ultimate for some reason.

Makes sense that they censored her chest since her cleavage is revealed. Interestingly, they seemingly censored the legs of Myrtha to resemble pants. Take a look!

Before
mythra_1.png

After
mythra_2.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom