• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well as I can’t do the main thing like y’all, I’ll just emote them

Main: :ultpit:
Subs: :ulttoonlink::ultrosalina::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit:
People Everyone can use so they’re not a real main or sub: :ultmario::ultdoc::ultsonic:
For Funsies: :ultisabelle::ultlink::ultridley::ultkrool::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultcorrin:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
ccr p

If spirits is just a glorified event mode I am just about done with Nintendo after Sakurai retires from making smash games. They even force the guy to add in who they want as DLC and probably the same roster
Are you the guy that hates ultimate, back again?

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
I've heard people talking about ultimate being a disappointment according to pirates, is it right to assume it's all bs?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I actually almost didn't consider putting Chrom there because his neutral is pretty good, but considering how good Roy is, Chrom is a little bit outclassed and while not quite useless, Roy can probably be used in every scenario Chrom can and still get equal, if not better, results.
That is true and a fair Opinion. But I think we might see a Lucina/Marth scenario where they will each have their Con/Pros especially in MU where Chrom might be able to space like a Swordman with less Risk than Roy-

I'm just excited for both actually, but I still have an hard time to get over how horrible the Defensive option are after 4 years of Smash 4 where they were so strong lmao.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I've heard people talking about ultimate being a disappointment according to pirates, is it right to assume it's all bs?
Why are you believing the opinion of pirates when you haven't even tried to game yourself though?

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Why are you believing the opinion of pirates when you haven't even tried to game yourself though?
I'm not, like I said I'm assuming its bs. just wondering what people think of that assumption

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
That is true and a fair Opinion. But I think we might see a Lucina/Marth scenario where they will each have their Con/Pros especially in MU where Chrom might be able to space like a Swordman with less Risk than Roy-

I'm just excited for both actually, but I still have an hard time to get over how horrible the Defensive option are after 4 years of Smash 4 where they were so strong lmao.
I'm maining Chrom because I am weak to buff arms. Also I just love him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No, not really. That's just how the people feel. I mean, they played the final version. If they don't like it, they don't like it.

It's not like everybody has to enjoy the game. You can still appreciate a game without actually enjoying it. It's just a matter of opinions. Of course, there's a difference between not being a fan and spreading hyperbolic lies to try and make people stop playing the game. One clearly is a problem.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's not right to assume anything.
Keep an open mind, to both positive and negative opinions.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well its not literally perfect, so what's the point?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So what smash tag icon will you people be rocking? Personally, I'm going for the Chorus Kids to fill the Chorus Kids shaped hole in my heart.
Same here, although it'll never fill it completely...
ccr p

If spirits is just a glorified event mode I am just about done with Nintendo after Sakurai retires from making smash games. They even force the guy to add in who they want as DLC and probably the same roster
Are you sure you aren't confusing Spirits mode and World of Light? Spirits mode has always been presented as a glorified event mode

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Hey guys. I've got some (potentially) good news. I may get a chance to play Smash Ultimate (the full game) this week.

While I do have my own mains I'd like to test out, I might get more hands on time with the game than I initially thought.

So if you guys have any questions (gameplay/character related ones) that you can't wait to get answered, just let me know and I'll try to see if I can test it out.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master

Yeah I know. But what would honestly be the differences between Chrom and Roy? They both approach pretty aggressively, Chrom just has a lucina sword.
The gameplay differences between Marth and Lucina are very different on the other hand. You have to play them completely differently. Things that get you rewarded as Lucina won't get you rewarded as Marth, and vice versa. Chrom/Roy just seem pretty similar with their approach and neutral

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Pretty much every post they made are really negative. A perfectly okay thing to do, but it makes it hard for me to care after a point.
Lol, I heard the exact same **** from people who got Oydessy over at 4 chan there was just a ****in whole thread where this one guy wouldn't shut up about "TEH GRAPHICS ARE BAD!!1!!!!1"

I'm certain that this game is going to be more appealing for hardcore fans though, so I guess it will lack for casual audiences compared to the last few games

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey guys. I've got some (potentially) good news. I may get a chance to play Smash Ultimate (the full game) this week.

While I do have my own mains I'd like to test out, I might get more hands on time with the game than I initially thought.

So if you guys have any questions (gameplay/character related ones) that you can't wait to get answered, just let me know and I'll try to see if I can test it out.
Just let me know if Shulk's art roullete switches sides if he turns right or left.
That's the one thing that's keeping me from maining him seriously.
I don't want to switch my thinking from forward-backward to left-right.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
with what I was saying, the only real disappointment I see is the lack of new stages but to me it's made up for by old stages. and by the end of DLC there will be at least 5 more stages which seems awesome to me. it's easy for me to get angry at people saying that its disappointment because of how excited I am for the game. but that being said a lot of the criticism (lack of new characters and cutscenes) just sounds ridiculous to me.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Lol, I heard the exact same **** from people who got Oydessy over at 4 chan there was just a ****in whole thread where this one guy wouldn't shut up about "TEH GRAPHICS ARE BAD!!1!!!!1"

I'm certain that this game is going to be more appealing for hardcore fans though, so I guess it will lack for casual audiences compared to the last few games
When you say Odyssey do you mean Mario or Assassin's Creed cause one of those is way better than the other

osby

Smash Obsessed

As a casual, I find the game pretty appealing, tbh. Like, it doesn't have Home Run Contest or Stage Builder but they were things that I use once or twice (though I'll kinda miss Coin Smash).

Characters, stages and Spirits mostly make up for it imo.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yeah I know. But what would honestly be the differences between Chrom and Roy? They both approach pretty aggressively, Chrom just has a lucina sword.
The gameplay differences between Marth and Lucina are very different on the other hand. You have to play them completely differently. Things that get you rewarded as Lucina won't get you rewarded as Marth, and vice versa. Chrom/Roy just seem pretty similar with their approach and neutral
Chrom will have a much easier time to space and get rewarded where Roy wouldn't get anything.

Chrom would be able to safely land Falling Up-air/Up-air or N-air>F-air or F-air>Up-Air or any kind of combo, withouth having to deal with ahat made us the laughing stock of roy fighting with a Noodle stick, without having to deal with Roy's Reverse tip mechanic constantly he might be able to be more consistant, and have a much better presence in the Neutral game/Spacing with F-tilt/D-tilt at the price of Edgeguard/Recovery

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you people like buff arms so much, how come ya aren't going nuts over :ultkirby:?

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
What this game's overall success in the long term depends on is Nintendo's support of the competitive scene, which is what it seems like they're doing.
There's no way they haven't seen the money the eSports has been bringing in as of late, and to not cash in on that would be a waste when you have a perfectly good franchise that is in tournaments anyway. All the inclusions like turning hazards off, smash elite, FS meter (which we are banning) and nerfing defensive options is gonna open this game up to more competitive players, and I'm sure this was done intentionally. Now we just need Nintendo to support the scene, and this game will get huge in popularity.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Far more confident on Porky than Sylux, mainly because the complete absence in pretty much anything within Ultimate is more notable. Literally every other boss in the SSE has direct representation in some form, and he's one of the most significant characters of the entire franchise he hails from.

Yet somehow, he couldn't even get a Spirit? For EITHER of his Mother series appearances? With the closest thing being the Absolutely Safe Capsule?

Not a single person here has yet to raise any good points as to how this makes any sense.
One notable thing about spirits is that spirit battles usually involve the characters, stages, elements, and items already apart of the game in order to create a scenario that is a homage to them (ex. Elma using Bayonetta and her Jeanne alt because she has dual guns and an alt that is similar to hers). Porky doesn’t seem to have anyone to allude to a scenario to at least be a homage to Porky.

As for why he’s not in the game as boss, well it’s simply because he was low priority. They didn’t seem to have a lot of time to add in bosses and Porky isn’t the only notable absence and Sakurai’s priority aren’t that straight forward. Rayquaza isn’t here either despite him being a boss in Brawl and a boss for the Pokémon series while also being one of the most well known Pokémon. Petey is another absense, and they seemed to have brought him back recently for Piranha’s FS which doesn’t look done, so he probably wasn’t even prioritized despite Petey also being a fairly well known character among the Mario franchise. And Marx is one of two brand new 1st Party bosses with the other being Ganon, and Marx sticks out like a sore thumb since his appearance prior to Star Allies was in Kirby Super Star.

At the same time, the only reason Pokey is even brought up is simply due to the lack of being a spirit, and we’ve seen cases where not having a role doesn’t always go for the best (see Isaac in Smash 4). Not only that but unlike Ridley, Porky doesn’t have as much support to be a fighter instead of a boss, so he lost the fan incentive. There’s not a lot going for Porky for Nintendo to want Sakurai to make a fighter. Even if Mother 3 is getting localized that doesn’t need promotion in the form of a fighter if you want to push for that envelope since the announcement of a localization is all that is needed.

I keep seeing a lot of talk for Porky recently, but looking into it, there really isn’t a lot in favor of him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Who else is hype that little mac isn't screwed when Side B ing of stage and should i stay with the shadow avatar or do i switch to a not deconfirmed character and in Links Palutenas guidance they use slang like op this post is basically a dump of everything i have learned today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom