• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
Nope, it's intentional, and actually seems to be a good thing
Dam.

I don't see how you can know it was intentional unless Sakurai pointed it out somewhere. And I don't see how removing mix-up options is a good thing?

D

Deleted member

I would say Dedede is an anti-hero.
At the time Brawl came out, Dedede was still definitely an anatagonist. Maybe not straight up villain, but he was still largely appearing in anatagonistic roles. He didn’t really become a hero until return to dreamland.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Dam.

I don't see how you can know it was intentional unless Sakurai pointed it out somewhere. And I don't see how removing mix-up options is a good thing?
Well we know it was intentional because it's in the final release. And this doesn't really remove a mix up option, it encourages you to play less defensively and buffs characters who have a good crouch and can punish off it. It's another instance of aggressive play being at the forefront of this game's mechanics

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean when was the last time Dedede was evil? He's kinda just misunderstood throughout the whole series
I think his first appearance was literally the only time he was a straight up villain while not mind controlled.

The guy's a gluttonous jerk, but he's a gluttonous jerk with a heart at least. :p

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
At the time Brawl came out, Dedede was still definitely an anatagonist. Maybe not straight up villain, but he was still largely appearing in anatagonistic roles. He didn’t really become a hero until return to dreamland.
The only time I can remember him being a major baddie was Super Star, Super Star Ultra, and Dreamland. What do you mean?

D

Deleted member

Dedede is like Doctor Doom.

He isn’t completely evil, and is actually open to help some... But his ego and wish to win on everything can make him do some awkward stuff (stealing food, cheat on tournaments to win, collaborate with evil beings just to get advantage on something, etc...).

D

Deleted member

Dedede is more an Antagonist but Wolf is a straight up villain
I disagree. Dedede is rarely antagonistic, and more often helps Kirby then attempt to stop him, and Wolf has teamed up with the Star Fox crew on multiple occasions, making him more of a rival then a Villain.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
And they don’t dare to try anything else.

Nintendo has Mario, but you don’t see the company putting him in the 75% of the games the company launches.
Unless i missed a cameo in games like Tropical Freeze, the Prime Trilogy, Breath Of The Wild, Kirby Star Allies or maybe Xenoblade.

Batman? You see him in the comic book series of Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Cyborg and even the Green Lantern Corps. Even when he isn’t needed.

Not even Spider-Man takes over many comic book series so much.
Spidey too busy not feeling so good
It's called Wolverine Publicity.
includes having to die as much as possible
Just looking at something;

64: Villains () and rivals ()
Melee: Villains (:bowsermelee::ganondorfmelee:) and rivals (:mewtwomelee:)
Brawl: Villains (:wolf:) and rivals (:wario::metaknight::dedede:)
For: Villains (:4bowserjr:+:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:) and rivals (:4darkpit:)
Ultimate: Villains (:ultridley::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultpiranha:) and rivals (:ultincineroar:?)
You left out :ultdoc:
I think his first appearance was literally the only time he was a straight up villain while not mind controlled.

The guy's a gluttonous jerk, but he's a gluttonous jerk with a heart at least. :p
And a Big Gay Dance

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

And Super Star and Super Star Ultra, but that was just a retelling of the original.

D

Deleted member

Dedede: “i wouldn’t want to make my people suffer from hunger... But i am on need of eating, so sorry.”

Doctor Doom: “I may wish to help your team against Galactus... But i don’t dare to work on anything that involves me with Richards.”

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Dedede: “i wouldn’t want to make my people suffer from hunger... But i am on need of eating, so sorry.”

Doctor Doom: “I may wish to help your team against Galactus... But i don’t dare to work on anything that involves me with Richards.”
Doctor Dededoom.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
Well we know it was intentional because it's in the final release.
That can mean that it was either intentional or it was missed. Let's not forgot melee had more than 1 version released and smash4 had patches

And this doesn't really remove a mix up option, it encourages you to play less defensively
What? You can't say it encourages less defensive play, because that would assume cross ups aren't a thing.

D

Deleted member

The only time I can remember him being a major baddie was Super Star, Super Star Ultra, and Dreamland. What do you mean?
He’s rarely a major villain, but he didn’t really become heroic until return to dreamland. In squeak squad for example, he was a boss. He was heroic in adventure and Kirby 64 though. I’d mark him as a rival.

Looking through it, Dedede rarely had major appearances around when brawl released. Bit odd.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Spidey too busy not feeling so good

includes having to die as much as possible

You left out :ultdoc:

And a Big Gay Dance
I just find it funny Smash For technically introduced most villains via Koopalings, even though they were alts.

beans

Smash Lord
The only bad thing I've seen him do is steal Dream Lands food.
Dedede: I'll starve the people cuz I want to eat more
gets throw out of his own castle, wich kirby proceeds to take it out the mountain
Meta Knight: I'll overthrow monarchy to start a regime
kirby destroys his airship and sinks it to the bottow of the ocean

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's really hard to classify Dedede as anything. Even if his goals are mostly harmless, he technically qualifies as a villain since he's an antagonist who wants to stop the protagonist (Kirby). However, he's been on the good side so many times that it doesn't really sound right labeling him as a villain.

At the very least, Meta Knight is definitely a rival/anti-hero. He has good intentions, but his actions aren't always the best.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Spirits are confirmed not to disconfirm characters so now I’m actually worried by boy isn’t in

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Maybe the real Super Smash Bros were all the arguments we had all the way.

Also I find it funny how so many people find it hard to put Dedede into a category, like he's somehow the deepest dude in the series.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
One time. ONE TIME, Dedede steals some food.
After that, every time something bad happens to Dreamland, what does Kirby do? Break into his house and beat the **** out of him.

D

Deleted member

Looking through it, Dedede rarely had major appearances around when brawl released. Bit odd.
As far as I'm concerned, the only major appearance Dedede missed out on was The Amazing Mirror, and I'd hardly call that a lack of Major appearances.

D

Deleted member

One time. ONE TIME, Dedede steals some food.
After that, every time something bad happens to Dreamland, what does Kirby do? Break into his house and beat the **** out of him.
Mostly because he is mind controlled, and some slaps are needed.

D

Deleted member

Maybe the real Super Smash Bros were all the arguments we had all the way.

Also I find it funny how so many people find it hard to put Dedede into a category, like he's somehow the deepest dude in the series.
To be fair, dedede has more character development than most in Kirby.
that is to say, he has any character development at all

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Why are people acting as though Sakurai isn’t a grown-*** man who has dealt with his games being leaked for years now
Yeah, the game leaked, it sucks, but people are acting as though it’s the ****ing end of the world and that Sakurai’s gonna commit suicide over it or something.
weeelll, This is japan we are talking about
As bad as that is, honor is everything in japan.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That can mean that it was either intentional or it was missed. Let's not forgot melee had more than 1 version released and smash4 had patches

What? You can't say it encourages less defensive play, because that would assume cross ups aren't a thing.
It's definitely intentional. If I remember correctly, one of the in-game tips mentions it.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master

I just told you why it encourages less defensive play. Not to say running through opponents as a defensive option to begin with, but this forces you to be right in range of your opponent. Crouching is useful again as a countering tool. Crouch cancelling in melee was useful for something similar, and it led to fast paced, aggressive gameplay where offensive options were plentiful.

Also, to your point about it possibly not being intentional, Sakurai isn't an idiot. He listens to what we say, especially during this development cycle. He actually asked pro players for things they want to see changed in the game. He knows that this mechanic has received backlash, and yet it is still in the final build. There is no way it isn't intentionally in the game.

D

Deleted member

As far as I'm concerned, the only major appearance Dedede missed out on was The Amazing Mirror, and I'd hardly call that a lack of Major appearances.
He was just the first boss in squeak squad and never appears afterward, and the actual dedede doesn’t appear at all in the main game of canvas curse. Meta knight got more focus around the time, considering he had story importance in squeak squad and was a major character in amazing mirror.

beans

Smash Lord
It's really hard to classify Dedede as anything. Even if his goals are mostly harmless, he technically qualifies as a villain since he's an antagonist who wants to stop the protagonist (Kirby). However, he's been on the good side so many times that it doesn't really sound right labeling him as a villain.

At the very least, Meta Knight is definitely a rival/anti-hero. He has good intentions, but his actions aren't always the best.
I'd say Dedede is more of an occasionnal rival until Star Ultra's Revenge of the King.
Meta Knight is an anti-hero for sure, all of his actions tend to be for his own goals when not overllaping with Kirby's.
He joined for Return to Dreamland and helped in Planet Robobot. But when he is free he was trying to start a regime, get his ship of the ocean floor after he failed, and technicaly fought Galacta Knight for his own pride.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I'd say Dedede is more of an occasionnal rival until Star Ultra's Revenge of the King.
Meta Knight is an anti-hero for sure, all of his actions tend to be for his own goals when not overllaping with Kirby's.
He joined for Return to Dreamland and helped in Planet Robobot. But when he is free he was trying to start a regime, get his ship of the ocean floor after he failed, and technicaly fought Galacta Knight for his own pride.
I don't really understand why Meta Knight was trying to kill Kirby and take over Dream Land, yet the next second he's helping him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom