• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
I'm actually kinda curious as to why people saying Metered FS's are busted. Don't they supposedly do less damage than ones from Smash Balls and even then, some of them have like specific hitboxes to where you have to be decently close to land them. The only ones I can think of that probably would be annoying to deal with would be Sonic's if it was his Brawl/Smash 4 one but Super Sonic is a pseudo-cutscene FS now and you don't control him.

Iridium

Smash Hero
how is rolling bad?
Spammers can't spam them anymore, or they have to deal with slower rolls with less intangibility. Pretty much ensures more aggressive play is rewarded, which I personally really like. Now it's not advised to do, but players were free to do that in past games...

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
how is rolling bad?
Well for a few reasons

1. The more you roll, the more ending lag you have on it, and thus it's easier to punish

2. Every character is a lot faster, so the chances of someone capitalizing off of on unsafe roll are that much higher

3. There are a lot better defensive options. Recently, GimR revealed that full hopping actually has a frame advantage over rolling. Not to mention, crouching is buffed in this game. It's also better to try and parry a move rather than roll away, as you are less likely to get punished off of a parry

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Until we can Aerial Rave between 3 characters, I don't think Squad Strike is like the VS series at all. If anything, it functions more like Tekken's team battle or KOF's style of fighting until your character is dead.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Well that’s what Verge is saying it seems, Microsoft boss and no Steve
Nop. Verge said he heard about a Minecraft boss, but that this don't deconfirms Steve as a character.

And Hitagi said he is 100% for Steve as a character, and that Banjo is not one.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
how is rolling bad?
Doing it too much makes you predictable, and a good opponent will open you up between rolls. Now, the more you roll, there's some more cooldown between them, making it easier to get slapped for doing it too much. Same way using the same attack over and over again gets weaker until you start using more stuff.

I'm still waiting for the Crash Bandicoot discussions
Be the change you want to see. What do you want to talk about in particular?

Iridium

Smash Hero

They were not kidding when they said this was intentional...

Well, just be more tricky with them, I guess.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
So is there a rough character unlock pattern figured out yet? I know there's certain chains: Villager's classic unlocks Shulk, Shulk classic unlocks ROB, and so on; but do we have anything more comprehensive? I want to figure out the quickest path to Ryu.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I'm actually kinda curious as to why people saying Metered FS's are busted. Don't they supposedly do less damage than ones from Smash Balls and even then, some of them have like specific hitboxes to where you have to be decently close to land them. The only ones I can think of that probably would be annoying to deal with would be Sonic's if it was his Brawl/Smash 4 one but Super Sonic is a pseudo-cutscene FS now and you don't control him.
It promotes camping, which is the main problem. Peach, Daisy. and Marth have broken Final Smashes, but the main issue is that it makes camping optimal, so you can just wait for your meter to fill up as you hit stray projectiles. It also makes characters with good final smashes higher tier, and characters being carried by one single move would be incredibly toxic and annoying for both players and spectators

andres22

Smash Cadet
Nop. Verge said he heard about a Minecraft boss, but that this don't deconfirms Steve as a character.

And Hitagi said he is 100% for Steve as a character, and that Banjo is not one.

Nop. Verge said he heard about a Minecraft boss is only rep of Minecraft in the game

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Do we have any confirmation if Amiibos can also unlock characters early or not? I know it was a rumor, but I don't know if more info popped up after a while.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Y’know somethin’ just hit me, and it ain’t a home run bat.
Is Matthew Taranto even legally allowed to sell BITF? He is using copyrighted characters.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Has anyone datamined the Tips section?
Well, some tips have been shown off on Twitter. I'm showing some here.

Knowing that, Ice Climbers changes:

Do we have any confirmation if Amiibos can also unlock characters early or not? I know it was a rumor, but I don't know if more info popped up after a while.
They don't, unfortunately.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nop. Verge said he heard about a Minecraft boss is only rep of Minecraft in the game
Honestly, I'd live with that level of Minecraft representation in the game. The Ender Dragon would make a good boss.

I'm just against a playable Steve.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It’s not so much the actual meter, but the actual FS. Peach/Daisy allows you to heal 60% and get a free Smash attack. Marth/Lucina essentially have a one hit KO move. Meanwhile, you got some that can be completely avoided if you’re not hit during the activation period.

And considering that the FS meter fills up about the same for everyone, using it would HEAVILY benefit some characters and HEAVILY hurt others.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
It promotes camping, which is the main problem. Peach, Daisy. and Marth have broken Final Smashes, but the main issue is that it makes camping optimal, so you can just wait for your meter to fill up as you hit stray projectiles. It also makes characters with good final smashes higher tier, and characters being carried by one single move would be incredibly toxic and annoying for both players and spectators
Does it work like DBZF where you gain meter by simply moving or most other games where it's damage based? Cause if it depends on taking damage then I'm not really seeing the camping argument. You have to be really active in how you play then.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Doing it too much makes you predictable, and a good opponent will open you up between rolls. Now, the more you roll, there's some more cooldown between them, making it easier to get slapped for doing it too much. Same way using the same attack over and over again gets weaker until you start using more stuff.

Be the change you want to see. What do you want to talk about in particular?
Let's discuss the music

It's pretty obvious that if Crash was picked, they will use the N.Sanity soundtrack but the question is, will it be the original or remix?

beans

Smash Lord
Not confirmed yet. What was exactly said translates into "Minecraft repped by a boss"
It can mean a bossfight, a ender dragon or wither spirit, or the fighter is straight up a minecraft boss.
We dont have any exacts outside of what is in.

Iridium

Smash Hero
And to end future debate on Snake's Codecs, they're pretty much confirmed to work. Most likely not for Smash 4/Ultimate newcomers, though...

Smash Taunts too, which I also like.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Out of Smash topic but
Skyward Sword HD is coming! Hopefully announce at VGA like they hinted at MP4.

Since we are a few days away from VGA, cross your fingers for a new Smash rep!

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Does it work like DBZF where you gain meter by simply moving or most other games where it's damage based? Cause if it depends on taking damage then I'm not really seeing the camping argument. You have to be really active in how you play then.
It fills up as players give and receive damage, but I'm not sure it if fills up over time. Regardless, this still gives characters with projectiles a huge advantage, as they will literally have no reason to approach. They can sit and throw out their projectiles and then go in and use their final smash when they need to get a kill off

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's damaged based. But you get pretty big amounts of meter for taking damage. I think you get some for dealing it too, but it works more like the Ultras in SF4, relying on you getting hit to fill up the meter in any meaningful way.

It's all but confirmed amiibo do not unlock characters, unfortunately.
Damn. There goes Minute 1 Mega Man. I gotta figure out how to unlock him quickly.

Let's discuss the music

It's pretty obvious that if Crash was picked, they will use the N.Sanity soundtrack but the question is, will it be the original or remix?
Probably the original. Because they'd likely make new music for a character like Crash. To be honest, I'm not into Crash's music like I am with Spyro's.

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
It fills up as players give and receive damage, but I'm not sure it if fills up over time. Regardless, this still gives characters with projectiles a huge advantage, as they will literally have no reason to approach. They can sit and throw out their projectiles and then go in and use their final smash when they need to get a kill off
Eh, I see your point.

I'm still turning it on for online matches. Supers in Smash are hype for me personally.

D

Deleted member

**** that lmao
**** you too Evil Buzz Lightyear.

Out of Smash topic but
Skyward Sword HD is coming! Hopefully announce at VGA like they hinted at MP4.

Since we are a few days away from VGA, cross your fingers for a new Smash rep!
I never played a Zelda game besides BoTW and Phantom Hourglass when i was so young that i didn’t pass the tutorial.

Maybe i will pick Skyward Sword if it comes to Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
what if the Minecraft boss isn't the Ender Dragon like everyone is thinking but is instead the Wither?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom