• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Y'all are gonna be wooed by Steve's fun and unique moveset...

Just you wait.
Preach it!

So, to take a spin on Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! 's question from earlier, who are some random characters you want in Smash that everyone else doesn't want.

I have a ton, but to save some time, I'll just say Cole McGrath, Alex Mercer, and Max Payne.

Damn! I was listing to Max Payne 3's soundtrack and forgot about this! XD
This is gonna be really controversial, but Freddy Fazbear. I'm a FNAF fan, and I think he would be a pretty good "what the crap" character.
I'm just excited for the Triple A FNAF game, I'll say that now.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
personally chocobo would be more exciting for me than sora or geno..
the only reason i have no qualms about geno joining teh roster is because it would be make a lot of people happy. but certainly isn't a character that rocks my boat too much. and i would almost prefer anyone else from SE (anyone with a sliver of a chance, not literally anyone mind you XD)

It's Caterpie.... right? is Caterpie... just because you are a Wurmple supporter so you wanna se caterpie fail, so wurmple can steal its slot, right?
(droping a /s just in case)
Actually, no...
I'd be fine with Carepie too...

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Random question, but what are some characters everyone wants in Smash that you don't want?
Literally any Namco character other than KOS-MOS. No h8 to the other people though.
I'm no Pokemon fan but I'll tell you exactly who I would have picked:

Always loved this dude's design and the things it could do, whenever I play Pokken at a friend's house Garchomp's always my top pick.
A long time ago, during Smash 4's speculation cycle, I dreamt that we would get another Trainer type to accompany the one from Brawl (before Lucario and Charizard were announced later). The idea was that we'd get Cynthia, with Roserade as the speedster, Lucario as the well-rounded fighter (and the Shonen-tier powerup of getting stronger the more damage he sustains), and Garchomp as the Heavy of the three. Along with Silvally and Gardevoir, Garchomp's up there on my list.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I can't see myself hating just about any character making it in. I'm not being a lame-ass with no opinion, I mean it. As long as it's a gaming character that either has a (serious) fanbase or is important to gaming history, sure, let 'em in. I'd love to see just about every big fan demand make it in and wish Sakurai somehow had infinite resources to make it a reality. More characters are always cool, even super-cloney Echoes like Dark Pit because of their personality.

(I might groan over something like Freddy Fazbear, but I'd concede and enjoy him eventually)

Blaming a whole fanbase for a few jerks raising hell, and wagging a finger saying 'now your character doesn't deserve to make it because the jerks in your community will be rewarded' is shortsighted and demeaning. You can point at Waluigi fans, Ashley fans, etc. being absolute pieces of human garbage, but you can do that for any group, anywhere, ever. With that kind of mindset nobody is allowed to get in ever again. It by no means takes away Waluigi, Ashley, etc.'s merits as characters because a few absolute madlads are running around who like them. One fan's actions do not reflect the fanbase, one fan's reason(s) for liking a character does not reflect the fanbase. It reflects on them and can be used to make them feel bad, but not their fanbase.

Steve represents one of the biggest games of all time and has an absurd amount of potential for a creative Smash character, but the prime reason people turn their noses up to him is that they hate the largely kid-dominated fanbase of the game that falls under 'cringe' a lot of the time. Again, this doesn't detract from the character himself, it's just being used to demean the fanbase.

tl;dr want who you want, and don't tell people they can't do the same.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Eh, In my opinion being "biased" isn't really a good reason for not wanting a character in. But hey, to each their own. And why do you not want Steve in? I'm curious on hearing your opinion.
Yeah it's not. I guess I also just want people to remember that this is a Nintendo game first and foremost. The novelty of guest characters starts to wear thin once there's so many of them, but of course I'm biased myself as I really just want a second Sonic character and a second Bamco rep to wrap things up.

I do try to keep the mindset that a character could still be fun to play even if the idea of them doesn't wow me, but I feel like Steve would be a hard sell still. His aesthetic does not blend with Smash at all and I fear the creative liberties to make him work would be too great, and Minecraft isn't about characters in the first place; it's about the world. I personally believe there should simply be a Minecraft stage with a Creeper Assist Trophy, and see no reason for it get a playable representative. Steve is a non-entity to me, and we already have multiple avatar characters like Robin, Corrin, Villager, Inkling, and the Mii Fighters. He himself would be a poor addition and shake my faith in the DLC choices, there are significantly better, actual characters to bring into the fray.

But that's just me.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I find it hilarous that there is once again demonization against box theorists. As an added bonus, we have people acting like they were "victims", poor innocent victims of the nasty and spiteful box theorists. Box theorists were always a minority. Oh no! A small group of people were right, they dont deserve to brag about it after being run down the mud. How dare them! :rolleyes:

It is really pathetic that people think that a small comment like "Look, now we will always have a reminder of the box theory" is being compared to the disgusting stuff that came from grinch leakers. Grinch leakers were total douchebags and it is a FACT. They went ahead and attacked as many groups as posible in the defense of their leak. Box theorists were treated like wackos. Insiders were called liars and accused of being paid by Nintendo to lie, there were many disgusting pieces of art laughing at the expense of the incineroar fandom. If you want to accuse any group of being nasty look no further. And you dont need my word, lets ask insiders, lets ask box theorists, lets ask the incineroar fan club.
Nobody is demonizing you. But when you make long gloating posts about how people who didn’t believe the box theory are “pathetic”, it’s not like you’re proving me wrong about what I said. Stop acting superior and maybe the community can start to move on.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Random question, but what are some characters everyone wants in Smash that you don't want?
Honestly almost all of em. I only accept Shantae outta the common interests as far as my memory goes. My loyalty goes to the three I have mentioned many times, one being an AT now. Petty maybe, but it's me being honest.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Very nice points! Gonna go give my opinions on them if you don't mind.

Yeah it's not. I guess I also just want people to remember that this is a Nintendo game first and foremost. The novelty of guest characters starts to wear thin once there's so many of them, but of course I'm biased myself as I really just want a second Sonic character and a second Bamco rep to wrap things up.
I do agree, yes, it's a Nintendo game, yet after Smash 4 it's turned into a celebration of gaming as a whole. Heck, Sakurai has said it before.

His aesthetic does not blend with Smash at all
I have seen this complaint before, but then again, we have characters like. :ultgnw:

and Minecraft isn't about characters in the first place; it's about the world.
I mean, this is true, but we could say this for characters like Villager, "It's about the villagers."

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As a Grincher and Box denier, I really don’t understand why Incinaroar got so much hate prior to the Direct.
Because he wasn't Decidueye.
Why are people still predicting Steve and SE rep? Wasn't it basically all but confirmed by Hitagi those picks were leaker bait/from fake sources?
Because Vergeben says otherwise and he has a better track record than Hitagi.
I'm no Pokemon fan but I'll tell you exactly who I would have picked:

Always loved this dude's design and the things it could do, whenever I play Pokken at a friend's house Garchomp's always my top pick.
A solid pick. Very cool design, and there's no playable Ground or Dragon type in Smash yet.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I do try to keep the mindset that a character could still be fun to play even if the idea of them doesn't wow me, but I feel like Steve would be a hard sell still. His aesthetic does not blend with Smash at all and I fear the creative liberties to make him work would be too great, and Minecraft isn't about characters in the first place; it's about the world. I personally believe there should simply be a Minecraft stage with a Creeper Assist Trophy, and see no reason for it get a playable representative. Steve is a non-entity to me, and we already have multiple avatar characters like Robin, Corrin, Villager, Inkling, and the Mii Fighters. He himself would be a poor addition and shake my faith in the DLC choices, there are significantly better, actual characters to bring into the fray.

But that's just me.
Hate to be picky Tyrant but I've never stood the "aesthetic" complaint
The aesthetic of Smash imo is that the aesthetic is all the other aesthetics.
We got Solid Snake vs Isabelle vs Game and Watch. 3 ENTIRELY different aesthetics. All Smash.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What was the track that played on that Mii stage?

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I can't see myself hating just about any character making it in. I'm not being a lame-*** with no opinion, I mean it. As long as it's a gaming character that either has a (serious) fanbase or is important to gaming history, sure, let 'em in. I'd love to see just about every big fan demand make it in and wish Sakurai somehow had infinite resources to make it a reality. More characters are always cool, even super-cloney Echoes like Dark Pit because of their personality.

(I might groan over something like Freddy Fazbear, but I'd concede and enjoy him eventually)

Blaming a whole fanbase for a few jerks raising hell, and wagging a finger saying 'now your character doesn't deserve to make it because the jerks in your community will be rewarded' is shortsighted and demeaning. You can point at Waluigi fans, Ashley fans, etc. being absolute pieces of human garbage, but you can do that for any group, anywhere, ever. With that kind of mindset nobody is allowed to get in ever again. It by no means takes away Waluigi, Ashley, etc.'s merits as characters because a few absolute madlads are running around who like them. One fan's actions do not reflect the fanbase, one fan's reason(s) for liking a character does not reflect the fanbase. It reflects on them and can be used to make them feel bad, but not their fanbase.

Steve represents one of the biggest games of all time and has an absurd amount of potential for a creative Smash character, but the prime reason people turn their noses up to him is that they hate the largely kid-dominated fanbase of the game that falls under 'cringe' a lot of the time. Again, this doesn't detract from the character himself, it's just being used to demean the fanbase.

tl;dr want who you want, and don't tell people they can't do the same.
Yup, I'm pretty much aligned with your sentiments. And it's not in a "Nintendo can do no wrong" sort of way. I remember in the Brawl era, i was against Cloud in Smash due his alignment with Sony at the time, but now I'm super hyped we still have him in Ultimate. I'd probably attribute this to "the Sakurai touch". For every third party character he handles, he treats with the utmost respect. There were so many ways he could screw up with characters like Megaman and Pac-man, but he avoided that by remaining incredibly faithful to the source material. This can only be achieved by a person who has great respect for classic games. For all the times Sakurai may have disappointed you in the past, you can at least try to respect him for that. For that reason, I've put complete faith on Sakurai's judgement moving forward.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, who the **** was that guy with the coat.

****** looked like he is up to no good.

I'm calling the ****ing police.

lemme_call_my_guy.png

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Pay your respects to Samurai Goroh who just got BTFO'd the hell off stage lol.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Very nice points! Gonna go give my opinions on them if you don't mind.

I do agree, yes, it's a Nintendo game, yet after Smash 4 it's turned into a celebration of gaming as a whole. Heck, Sakurai has said it before.

My point still stands. The roster remains primarily a Nintendo celebration and they won't put in a character like Master Chief who only represents a rival company's platform (if he ever does get in I'll be very shocked).
I have seen this complaint before, but then again, we have characters like. :ultgnw:
Game and Watch has a unique aesthetic that they take advantage of and represents original handheld gaming. Steve meanwhile cannot bend his elbows or knees without looking extremely awkward, the design just isn't adaptable like Game & Watch's in my eyes.

I mean, this is true, but we could say this for characters like Villager, "It's about the villagers."
Can't really argue on that one to be honest.
(added responses in bold in the quote)
I should add that I won't be a grumpy hag if Steve gets in, just that the idea doesn't pique my interest right now and feels almost like fiction. I also know Banjo-Kazooie fans would likely be furious with Sakurai, but that's none of my business.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
And then Knuckles got revenge for Goroh and promptly BTFO'd :ultganondorf:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So are they showing off new Spirits here?

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Hate to be picky Tyrant but I've never stood the "aesthetic" complaint
The aesthetic of Smash imo is that the aesthetic is all the other aesthetics.
We got Solid Snake vs Isabelle vs Game and Watch. 3 ENTIRELY different aesthetics. All Smash.
Steve's blocky, low-detail design just sounds like a big hindrance to me in a way that not even creative liberties would be able to fix, but then again Smash does have a unified artstyle so the team would probably make it work somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom