• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If ****ing Rising Raiden is in as a Spirit and we still don't get MGS2 or 4 Raiden I'm going to toss myself out of a window. When will Konami stop shoving that stupid spinoff design down my throat. It's so ugly.

D

Deleted member

If ****ing Rising Raiden is in as a Spirit and we still don't get MGS2 or 4 Raiden I'm going to toss myself out of a window. When will Konami stop shoving that stupid spinoff design down my throat. It's so ugly.
I mean I like his MGS2 design the most too but goddamn man chill.

osby

Smash Obsessed

No, really, I prefer this design as well.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean I like his MGS2 design the most too but goddamn man chill.
I'm just sick of Rising pandering, man. It sold because Konami needed it to sell. The soundtrack is good but I didn't really like it that much, it's not canon, and Konami keeps putting it in places over the way better 4 design when they need the cyborg ninja look. It's just exhausting. Kojima didn't have anything to do with it and has even said it's another's "interpretation" but you can't go anywhere discussing Metal Gear on the internet without someone bringing it up.

Like, it should be given the same weight as like, Acid or Ghost Babel but people insist on pretending it's mainline and as someone who just straight didn't enjoy it it's incredibly frustrating to see a non-canon spinoff version of a character you really like become the norm.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
this is a reasonable response

osby

Smash Obsessed
If Raiden gets into Smash, he'll need three alt: A MGS2 alt, a Rising alt and a naked alt.

D

Deleted member

I'm just sick of Rising pandering, man. It sold because Konami needed it to sell. The soundtrack is good but I didn't really like it that much, it's not canon, and Konami keeps putting it in places over the way better 4 design when they need the cyborg ninja look. It's just exhausting. Kojima didn't have anything to do with it and has even said it's another's "interpretation" but you can't go anywhere discussing Metal Gear on the internet without someone bringing it up.

Like, it should be given the same weight as like, Acid or Ghost Babel but people insist on pretending it's mainline and as someone who just straight didn't enjoy it it's incredibly frustrating to see a non-canon spinoff version of a character you really like become the norm.
I can understand that, but i thought it wasn’t unconfirmed whether it was canon or not.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
I’m decently sure we haven’t even seen half the amount of spirits in the game. Literally every viable DLC character is gonna be a spirit, and it’s not gonna stop them from getting in, at least I think.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
From what I can tell, it's canon.
It's not. Kojima has explicitly stated it is "Platinum's interpretation of the Metal Gear universe". It's just like Acid or Ghost Babel. And like, I loved Ghost Babel so that doesn't make it automatically bad, just I didn't enjoy it personally outside of the soundtrack and certain moments. It's just a little annoying to see that design in, like, PSABR (which was a marketing move) and Super Bomberman R (because...?????? Sure I guess).

**** you mean
i said it was reasonable

do you see a /s anywhere friend
Oh my mistake! Glad we're on the same page. Tone, internet, hard to interpret sometimes, etc.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've been thinking, how does Mii customisation work?

Do you still effect their height and weight? how many slots do you have for Miis? Will Tournament originators have to make a mii for every combination of special moves?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You'll get Old Old Snake, the PS1 model, and you'll like it

Speaking of Metal Gear I'm considering ignoring the rest of Peace Walker and heading on to Ground Zeroes whenever I get that game
Peace Walker has a great story but, yeah, the gameplay makes it hard to get through.

I'm in the seeming minority of people who really got a lot of emotional weight out of Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain's story and enjoyed it for more than the (excellent) gameplay so I hope you enjoy it when you play. If nothing else the games are gorgeous and very fun, though they keep the mission structure from Peace Walker for some reason and I'm sure you've heard the story about how Kojima was forced to wrap things up in a basement before getting released so we only got half a game. Still good though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Peace Walker has a great story but, yeah, the gameplay makes it hard to get through.

I'm in the seeming minority of people who really got a lot of emotional weight out of Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain's story and enjoyed it for more than the (excellent) gameplay so I hope you enjoy it when you play. If nothing else the games are gorgeous and very fun, though they keep the mission structure from Peace Walker for some reason and I'm sure you've heard the story about how Kojima was forced to wrap things up in a basement before getting released so we only got half a game. Still good though.
Oh I just want to play everything in the canon. I'm stuck on The Doorknob missions finding that prick at the end of the game. Been looking for that asshole for 45 goddamn minutes with a guide and he just wouldn't ****ing show up.

btw The Doorknob was intentional

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Do you still effect their height and weight? how many slots do you have for Miis? Will Tournament originators have to make a mii for every combination of special moves?
I think those particular customizations don't exist anymore. Every mii we have seen so far has been the exact same size (save for the Super Mushroom one when the Labo mii costume was being shown off :p)

As for special moves

shrug.jpg

D

Deleted member

It seems like height and weight is fixed now, which is a huge boon to making Miis legal. Sense there are 81 combinations of moves per class, I think Miis will either work like the Custom Move Project where a handful of sets are required as the tournament standard. If you want to use a set that's not in the system, you will either be able to make it on that setup (unlikely for larger events, but would be the best timeline) or it would just be banned (more likely, but would kind of suck).

DISCLAIMER: I only host smaller events at my college, and I've kept Duck Hunt legal.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Man now I've gone and watched the Mii Fighter segment of the Nov1 direct again and the costumes actually look pretty good this time around
I didn't pay much attention during the direct so the first time I noticed the costumes being better, really, was when I saw that Skull Kid was a full costume this time.

D

Deleted member

I saw that Skull Kid was a full costume this time.
Oh really? I missed that. That's pretty cool. All I really need is confirmation that the business suit is back and I'm good, but some of the new costumes this time are real nice, like the Deadpool Yiga Clan outfit.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Oh really? I missed that. That's pretty cool. All I really need is confirmation that the business suit is back and I'm good, but some of the new costumes this time are real nice, like the Deadpool Yiga Clan outfit.
I found it out in a PushDustIn tweet I think, but it's far too buried at this point to hunt it down

Yiga Clan outfit also looks pretty damn good. Will definitely be using that for Swordfighter I think.

EDIT:
However their Inkling miis never fail to make me uncomfortable. (The costume is nice though)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I found it out in a PushDustIn tweet I think, but it's far too buried at this point to hunt it down

Yiga Clan outfit also looks pretty damn good. Will definitely be using that for Swordfighter I think.

EDIT:
However their Inkling miis never fail to make me uncomfortable. (The costume is nice though)
Problem with inkling miis is that they don’t cover the face, so you get a nice look at the mii’s horrifying, souless eyes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Problem with inkling miis is that they don’t cover the face, so you get a nice look at the mii’s horrifying, souless eyes.
They have quite a bit of facial expression this time, though. I love how angry Brawler is by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom