• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
About Minecraft being the best selling game ever... Wasn't that GTA5? Just curious.

If so, we should totally expect Trevor Philips in Smash.

This is how much sense Steve from Minecraft would make... :rolleyes:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
The problem I see with putting Banjo or Steve into Smash is, regardless of whether Phil Spencer is okay with it (of course he would be their characters get into freakin Smash), is that there is much more gained by Microsoft in terms of advertising their properties than Nintendo would likely see for Smash by including them.

Yes both those characters are significant, and for different reasons, but from a value position it probably is not worth it from Nintendo's point of view.
Cloud sort of have this problem, but they didn't mind too much. The main difference is Microsoft is a competitor so it might be far worse.

People can dislike Steve all they want.

He's legitimately one of the most popular characters in gaming and I'm willing to bet he did well on the ballot.
I doubt it personally. He probably isn't even Top 10. While I don't think much people would deny Minecraft's popularity, the audience for Minecraft and Smash bros doesn't overlap much, plus there are a lot of other choices during the ballot and no one was really campaigning for Steve.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think a character is a sucky way to represent Minecraft.
Stages, assist trophies, Smash Run-esque enemies, items are all great but Steve as a playable character would be a design clash while also being a bland character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm a teacher.

DO

NOT

UNDERESTIMATE

MINECRAFT

It's absolutely mind boggling how much the kids love it.

There's a reason its on every system. There's a reason its used in schools. There's a reason I see Minecraft shirts everywhere.

Dude I'm not fond of Steve myself, but he makes total sense.

A popular world renown character from a super innovative and ultra popular game that redefined and in some ways created the genre.

We can't just ignore what Minecraft has done. It's bigger than Wii Sports.

FRICKEN WII SPORTS!!!

The cultural significance the IP has is astounding. Not to mention that apparently, Minecraft is associated with Nintendo in Japan. And its still super popular there....

Steve's got a chance. We can scoff him all we want, but it just makes us look dumb if he does get in (and I think he easily can).

(Also to answer your sarcasm, if Trevor was possible, yeah, he'd make some sense).
While I don't think much people would deny Minecraft's popularity, the audience for Minecraft and Smash bros doesn't overlap much
I...

Eh?

Are you saying one of the most popular games for kids and a Nintendo fighter won't have overlap? You do know that Minecraft still sells gangbusters on recent consoles like 3DS, Wii U and Switch, right? This is an absolute load of crock.

plus there are a lot of other choices during the ballot and no one was really campaigning for Steve.
Bruh.

Where do you think the Steve for Smash meme came from? He got a fair amount of requests WITHOUT a campaign. Kids just want him cause they love Minecraft. And that's not a bad thing.

Mark my words.

Steve's only got two potential issues.

• Potential Anti Western Prejudice (They feel the IPs should be Japanese)
  • Owned by a Competitor (though a friendly one)

Now those are significant, but they definitely aren't insurmountable.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So I have seen a few people post a roster now and felt that hey why not give it a shot myself. Now unfortunately I do not have nay of the funky-do roster makers on my computer so I had to make one using png files and Numbers so try and ignore the abundance of white. Also I have excluded the typical clones like Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit.

Notes on the roster:
- All Zelda characters, except Toon Link, could get a BotW model, hence the odd icons.
- "?" represents some FE character, I am unsure of whom it may be.
- I figure Villager may get an update if Isabelle is added so they look like they match.
- I know there are no clone characters on here but this does not mean they will be cut, I just did not include them in this roster.

Let me know what you think :chuckle:

Edit: Sorry for how the file is attached, not really sure how else to get it in.

Attachments

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Here's my question though.

How would Steve function as a fighter in Super Smash Bros.

That's a detail people are missing here.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I've witnessed kids talk about "playing Minecraft" during recess at schools. I have no idea how that actually works but it's definitely found its place among certain demographics.

I think I've said this before, but if anything from Minecraft gets in Smash, it would definitely draw in a whole new crowd, which is never a bad thing.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

He has a sword and a bow.

So he'd be a Link clone :upsidedown:

I don't think giving Steve a moveset would be hard but the animations in Minecraft are pretty limited. I think Minecraft Story Mode does a bit more with character movements so they're not more limited than a Lego minifig.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Just off my limited knowledge of Minecraft. He could easily provide one unique concept we haven't had.

Terraformer

Put down blocks of various materials, build up walls, interact with them in various ways like blowing them up, setting things on fire, altering terrain, etc. For real, the only limit to Steve's potential is your imagination. Kind of like Minecraft itself. This could give him a unique form of stage control and I imagine such techniques would be fairly technical so he'd be a little harder to master like Olimar and Rosalina.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I wonder how his design would work though.
Because if you remove the blocky magix he's a regular ol human
But the Minecraft block-style clashes with the rest of the game

Which is why I think a Minecraft stage + music, a Creeper assist trophy and a ton of trophies would work much better than Steve because these elements can clash in design, like the Duck Hunt stage, the Advance Wars Assist Trophy and the Rhythm Heaven trophies
Perhaps items would work as well, though I can't think of an item that clashes with the stage etc.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder how his design would work though.
Because if you remove the blocky magix he's a regular ol human
But the Minecraft block-style clashes with the rest of the game

Which is why I think a Minecraft stage + music, a Creeper assist trophy and a ton of trophies would work much better than Steve because these elements can clash in design, like the Duck Hunt stage, the Advance Wars Assist Trophy and the Rhythm Heaven trophies
Perhaps items would work as well, though I can't think of an item that clashes with the stage etc.
Just spruce him up like this.

Bam, the artstyle is easier to fit in.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I...

Eh?

Are you saying one of the most popular games for kids and a Nintendo fighter won't have overlap? You do know that Minecraft still sells gangbusters on recent consoles like 3DS, Wii U and Switch, right? This is an absolute load of crock.
Minecraft sells well on every systems, but that doesn't means CoD fans and Minecraft fans overlaps a lot (even if both has loads of children in them). The question is "Are most of Smash fans also huge fans of Minecraft?". It is true that both Minecraft and Smash bros are made to appeal to everyone, Smash and Minecraft are largely different genre of game. Smash being a fighting game, Minecraft is more open sandbox/ creativity game.

If your argument is, a lot of people that played Minecraft also played Smash, then I would agree. But the more dedicated fans of either games is likely not overlapping.

Where do you think the Steve for Smash meme came from? He got a fair amount of requests WITHOUT a campaign. Kids just want him cause they love Minecraft. And that's not a bad thing.
There were loads of X for Smash meme around the time of the ballot, a lot of really dumb one got super popular like Shrek. Frankly, I think Steve for Smash fans isn't that large, I'd argue Wolf had a much bigger audience. Most unofficial polls (Which, I admit, limited sample size) don't really have anyway near a high spot Steve, and we also have 0 official poll data to rely on.

There isn't really a sign of Steve being too popular among the Smash crowd outside of correlation of "Smash and Minecraft are both for kids and really popular". I am not too against Steve being in Smash, but I highly doubt he is one of the most popular ballot character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm a teacher.

DO

NOT

UNDERESTIMATE

MINECRAFT

There's a reason its on every system. There's a reason its used in schools. There's a reason I see Minecraft shirts everywhere.

Dude I'm not fond of Steve myself, but he makes total sense.

A popular world renown character from a super innovative and ultra popular game that redefined and in some ways created the genre.

We can't just ignore what Minecraft has done. It's bigger than Wii Sports.

FRICKEN WII SPORTS!!!

The cultural significance the IP has is astounding. Not to mention that apparently, Minecraft is associated with Nintendo in Japan. And its still super popular there....

Steve's got a chance. We can scoff him all we want, but it just makes us look dumb if he does get in (and I think he easily can).

(Also to answer your sarcasm, if Trevor was possible, yeah, he'd make some sense).

I...

Eh?

Bruh.

Mark my words.

Steve's only got two potential issues.

• Potential Anti Western Prejudice (They feel the IPs should be Japanese)
  • Owned by a Competitor (though a friendly one)

Now those are significant, but they definitely aren't insurmountable.
Ugh yeah okay you win... You make a lot of sense but... Am just NOT excited for the whole prospect, and I have the rights to. Much like I didn't like the idea of Sonic entering (am cool with him now tho), Mii Fighters, a big focus on 3rd party entries in Smash 4. But yeah I'll accept there's gonna be stuff I don't like. Smash 4 gave me plenty of that.

So realistically, the way Smash 4 approached newcomers is a good thing for Steve and anything Minecraft. Yet I hope they WON'T go the same direction this time but instead adress the core fanbase of Smash more, by adding characters with timeless popularity, for example Lyn, King K.Rool, Krystal, Banjo-Kazooie, a new Sonic character, maybe even Ridley, just to call some names.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Minecraft sells well on every systems, but that doesn't means CoD fans and Minecraft fans overlaps a lot (even if both has loads of children in them). The question is "Are most of Smash fans also huge fans of Minecraft?". It is true that both Minecraft and Smash bros are made to appeal to everyone, Smash and Minecraft are largely different genre of game. Smash being a fighting game, Minecraft is more open sandbox/ creativity game.

If your argument is, a lot of people that played Minecraft also played Smash, then I would agree. But the more dedicated fans of either games is likely not overlapping.
You could argue that Smash and Mario fans don't really overlap. Or any Nintendo series that isn't a fighting game.

But if you want to say that there is one, could Minecraft easily create one by including Steve in Smash? There's evicence of Minecraft fans on Nintendo hardware. The goal isn't necessarily to appeal to existing fans but to draw in droves of new ones.

Regardless, they both go after the same demographic, so its fairly safe to assume there's overlap.

There were loads of X for Smash meme around the time of the ballot, a lot of really dumb one got super popular like Shrek. Frankly, I think Steve for Smash fans isn't that large, I'd argue Wolf had a much bigger audience. Most unofficial polls (Which, I admit, limited sample size) don't really have anyway near a high spot Steve, and we also have 0 official poll data to rely on.
Question.

How many polls removed joke answers?

And how many counted Steve as one?

There isn't really a sign of Steve being too popular among the Smash crowd outside of correlation of "Smash and Minecraft are both for kids and really popular". I am not too against Steve being in Smash, but I highly doubt he is one of the most popular ballot character.
Bruh, did you see Miiverse?

Regardless, I'll concede that I have no hard data (none of us aside from Nintendo do) but I'm telling ya what I saw.

And I saw Steve.

Ugh yeah okay you win... You make a lot of sense but... Am just NOT excited for the whole prospect, and I have the rights to. Much like I didn't like the idea of Sonic entering (am cool with him now tho), Mii Fighters, a big focus on 3rd party entries in Smash 4. But yeah I'll accept there's gonna be stuff I don't like. Smash 4 gave me plenty of that.

So realistically, the way Smash 4 approached newcomers is a good thing for Steve and anything Minecraft. Yet I hope they WON'T go the same direction this time but instead adress the core fanbase of Smash more, by adding characters with timeless popularity, for example Lyn, King K.Rool, Krystal, Banjo-Kazooie, a new Sonic character, maybe even Ridley, just to call some names.
Hey I'm not trying to make ya bow down to our pixelated overlords or anything. Steve doesn't mean much to me (he'd only make me happy cause it'd make my students go bonkers, they loved Inklings being revealed, they also want Spring Man, they got good taste).

I'm just trying to get people ready for Smash's next potential megaton, because I know not everyone here likes him much.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay.

I'm just gonna go ahead and make some predictions on third party newcomers.

I'm been thinking about how Smash typically went around third party choices and..

I think I have ideas for Smash 5's megaton third parties...

Crash and Steve

And believe it or not, I thought Crash was our best bet before the trilogy reveal.

Crash is an icon, who's made multiple appearances on Nintendo consoles, is still very popular and is now relevent and finally and perhaps most importantly, he's a popular character in Japan. Not necessarily in requests, but in general. Crash was pretty notable in that it was a western game that was VERY popular in Japan. I think all of those things could easily put Crash on Sakurai's radar.

Steve has already been discussed to death on this page. So you know my thoughts on him.

Other than that though, I think Bomberman's got a decent shot and I think characters like Tails and Chun-Li have good shots as well this time around.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Based off the newcomers we got in Brawl and Smash 4, I still think relevancy is going to be the biggest factor in deciding who we get. Feels like most of the characters we got in the previous game were added because they were new and relevant rather than being popular choices that lots of fans requested.

However, one key difference with this game is that the window to choose characters from is much smaller. I wouldn't jump right out and conclude that all the newcomers we get will be inspired from the ballot, but if Sakurai isn't choosing characters based off of what's happened in recent years, maybe we could start getting more fan-favorite or older iconic characters. Or, to look on the more pessimistic side of things, perhaps we'll get fewer newcomers because Sakurai cant think of many relevant characters to add.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Okay.

I'm just gonna go ahead and make some predictions on third party newcomers.

I'm been thinking about how Smash typically went around third party choices and..

I think I have ideas for Smash 5's megaton third parties...

Crash and Steve

And believe it or not, I thought Crash was our best bet before the trilogy reveal.

Crash is an icon, who's made multiple appearances on Nintendo consoles, is still very popular and is now relevent and finally and perhaps most importantly, he's a popular character in Japan. Not necessarily in requests, but in general. Crash was pretty notable in that it was a western game that was VERY popular in Japan. I think all of those things could easily put Crash on Sakurai's radar.

Steve has already been discussed to death on this page. So you know my thoughts on him.

Other than that though, I think Bomberman's got a decent shot and I think characters like Tails and Chun-Li have good shots as well this time around.
I agree with your predictions for 3rd parties, but I would like to also throw in Shovel Knight. He has been huge over the past console generation and has pretty much become the face of indie gaming, especially on Nintendo hardware. He also was pretty well received, with Famitsu apparently sending Yacht Club Games an award for the game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Feels like most of the characters we got in the previous game were added because they were new and relevant rather than being popular choices that lots of fans requested.
Eh.... Most everyone was still pretty popular.

If not by fan request, then just in general.

:4bayonetta::4bowserjr::4cloud::4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::4megaman::4mii::4pacman::4palutena::4robinm::rosalina::4ryu::4shulk::4villager:

These guys were all very popular either in their own series or as a Smash request.

Only ones that really weren't were...

:4corrin: (their game wasn't out yet or had only been out a short while)
:4darkpit: (last minute clone and still has a fanbase in his own series)
:4duckhunt: (Was a scrappy before Smash 4)
:4wiifit: (Just never thought of)

I think popularity still played a huge part.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
You could argue that Smash and Mario fans don't really overlap. Or any Nintendo series that isn't a fighting game.

But if you want to say that there is one, could Minecraft easily create one by including Steve in Smash? There's evicence of Minecraft fans on Nintendo hardware. The goal isn't necessarily to appeal to existing fans but to draw in droves of new ones.

Regardless, they both go after the same demographic, so its fairly safe to assume there's overlap.
Keep in mind, when I mean huge Minecraft fans, I meant people who would use their single vote for Steve and love Minecraft more than something like Pokemon (another popular source for kids vote), NOT people who played Minecraft before and enjoy it.

Most Mario fans and other series are likely huge Nintendo fans and thus into Smash. However, I can't confidently say most Smash fans are big Minecraft fan, nor say most Minecraft fans are big Nintendo fans. To be more precise, I don't think most people that voted in the ballot would have Steve as their first choice, even if they also like Minecraft.

Question.

How many polls removed joke answers?

And how many counted Steve as one?
I never view Steve as a joke answer, I am not even too against him. Steve for Smash just didn't really have a lot of traction.

Bruh, did you see Miiverse?

Regardless, I'll concede that I have no hard data (none of us aside from Nintendo do) but I'm telling ya what I saw.

And I saw Steve.
I seen Shantae, Shovel Knight, Goku, Spongebob, Shrek in Miiverse as well. Miiverse is not exactly a good place to gauge the popularity of a character. If anything, it is worse than using an unofficial poll to do it, at least most polls have Bayonetta among them.

If Steve is only really popular among kids, I highly doubt his chances as kids are not as likely to vote in the ballot and there are loads of other choices kids might end up with if we want to debate about it, like Pokemons for example.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't know how well Steve did on the ballot, but I will say this regardless: you cannot say that the grand majority of the people voting on the ballot would be kids seeing as Bayonetta was our ballot choice and she and her franchise were never popular among kids to begin with. So you can't make the argument Steve would do well because of kids.

If Steve does well on the ballot, it would be because of adult Minecraft fans.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally, I get really confused as to why Konami newcomers are seen as having a good shot for Smash Switch. I feel Kojima's forced seperation from Konami changed Sakurai's POV of the company negatively for the long term, given that Kojima and Sakurai are close friends. It makes Konami characters in general an impossibility to me.

I want to hear the specific reasons. I am super curious.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548

Not necessarily true. I've gone over how much potential Steve has as a moveset alone, completely disregarding the impact of the game many times.

Want a combo heavy aggressive fighter? You can do that.

Want a zoner, or defensive character? Works fine.

Want a Link clone? Why do you want a Link clone? ...Technically he could do that easily, too. He could be a clone of most characters in the game in some way, really. I'd say just about any character archetype works for Steve in some way. Even a puppet character could technically work with all the controllable pets in MC.

MC as a game just has so much to work with and items that do so many different things you could have jsut about any playstyle work for Steve if you wanted. I assume they'd try to go for something that fits the focus of the game (building.)

About Minecraft being the best selling game ever... Wasn't that GTA5? Just curious.

GTA V was the fastest selling game of all time, not highest.

Trevor Philips has never appeared on a Nintendo console. I feel it's very much so false equivelance to say Steve makes no sense just because someone else from a game that sold would make no sense.

Just spruce him up like this.

Bam, the artstyle is easier to fit in.
Ironically, I'd actually prefer they try to stay faithful to how Minecraft actually looks. Even if it's weird and stiff, there's still a lot you can do with the animations without having to necessarily bend the knees. G&W I feel is a pretty good testament to what you can do even with a stricter character. I also just think Telltale's characters look somewhat ugly. Maybe a middle ground in-between the styles would look nicest?

My only worry would be expression, since using the regular texture of Steve might look odd trying to give expressions for getting hit/etc;

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Personally, I get really confused as to why Konami newcomers are seen as having a good shot for Smash Switch. I feel Kojima's forced seperation from Konami changed Sakurai's POV of the company negatively for the long term, given that Kojima and Sakurai are close friends. It makes Konami characters in general an impossibility to me.

Just hope I guess. Maybe Nintendo is only interested in the IP and doesn't care about Konami being terrible. Unless Sakurai is flat out against it, or Konami is too greedy, there isn't too much reason to deny a Konami character.

Danpal65

Smash Lord

I think it may have something to do with Konami providing support for the Switch from its launch. Kojima is Sakurai's friend, which may strain Sakurai's personal relationship with the company, but I think it is more likely to prevent Snake form returning as he is Kojima's character.

This is sort of a separate issue from someone like Bomberman or a Belmont getting into Smash so it may not effect them, but I can see that there may be some animosity between Sakurai and Konami due to the whole Kojima thing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well GTA was on Nintendo DS as Chinatown Wars so it's not entirely out the realms of possibility.

Though Mr. Steven Minecraft has a few more things going for him (and one big against)

Fors
  • Minecraft has been on multiple Nintendo Systems
  • The Nintendo versions of Minecraft are worked into the shared system unlike the Sony ones
  • The Super Mario skin pack in and of itself.
Against
  • Mojang is owned by Microsoft so that could hurt chances. As a counter, Microsoft has shown they're willing to play ball with Nintendo and visa-versa so it could happen.
By contrast, Rockstar's last Nintendo project was a L.A. Noire port for Switch which is a step forward from their previous near total lack of a relationship but I'm not sure how much it counts.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I think the biggest thing hurting Steve's chances are just that he's a western character rather than Microsoft owned specifically.

Microsoft has been pretty outspoken about having Banjo in Smash and has cooperated with Nintendo quite a lot in regards of crossplay and Minecraft DLC/exclusive content, the former of which not even Sony is willing to cooperate about.

Isn't Diddy Kong still the only western created character to become a fighter in Smash?

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I think the biggest thing hurting Steve's chances are just that he's a western character rather than Microsoft owned specifically.

Microsoft has been pretty outspoken about having Banjo in Smash and has cooperated with Nintendo quite a lot in regards of crossplay and Minecraft DLC/exclusive content, the former of which not even Sony is willing to cooperate about.

Isn't Diddy Kong still the only western created character to become a fighter in Smash?
You could probably argue that modern D.K. is a Western created character as well. But, yeah, 99.99% of the roster is of a Japanese origin.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Eh.... Most everyone was still pretty popular.

If not by fan request, then just in general.

:4bayonetta::4bowserjr::4cloud::4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::4megaman::4mii::4pacman::4palutena::4robinm::rosalina::4ryu::4shulk::4villager:

These guys were all very popular either in their own series or as a Smash request.

Only ones that really weren't were...

:4corrin: (their game wasn't out yet or had only been out a short while)
:4darkpit: (last minute clone and still has a fanbase in his own series)
:4duckhunt: (Was a scrappy before Smash 4)
:4wiifit: (Just never thought of)

I think popularity still played a huge part.
I meant fan request.

Rosalina and Greninja were popular, but neither were highly requested characters. Same applies to most of the non-DLC cast (with the exception of Mega Man, Little Mac, Villager, and maybe Bowser Jr.). Very few of the characters we got in Smash 4 were blatantly wanted by a majority of fans, and those who were didn't start gaining support until after the Gematsu leak. At that point, the roster had already been decided and fans were more or less supporting a character who they thought was basically confirmed to be in the game.

The type of popularity you're describing is different from the popularity of a possible Smash character. Lillie, Pauline, and Kass are all very popular and relevant Nintendo characters, but I've seen little support for any of them. That's because despite their popularity among fans, people either think there are more deserving characters from their franchise who should be in Smash, or there just isn't much these characters could do in a fighting game without feeling weird or forced.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Depends on where you draw the line on Sonic's creation story as he was made by a Japanese team with US input IIRC. But yes, Diddy Kong is the only fighter who was created outside of Japan, even if he started off as a redesign of DK Jr.

I have to wonder if that hurt Krystal's chances any as she was a Rare creation too.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Want a combo heavy aggressive fighter? You can do that.
Eh? I can't really picture Steve as a combo heavy aggressive fighter. Steve feels like a heavier character to me, not a mobile one.

I have a seriously hard time imagining how Steve would even play like. Can he put down blocks and remove them at will? Is that how he recover? That sounds kinda broken but interesting at the same time.

A lot of Steve's item are either normal weapons or build blocks. Is there anything that might be good for Smash?

King Zekrom

Smash Apprentice
I think it'd be more likely to expect Sceptile than Groudon or Kyogre given that he's not the size of a building.
I was going to say Sceptile, but to perfectly represent my argument I had to pick a Pokemon that wasn't in existence before ORAS (Sceptile was introduced in RSE) and the only options were the Primal Duo (and Mega Rayquaza), cause that's the same scenario we're in with the Switch game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Same applies to most of the non-DLC cast (with the exception of Mega Man, Little Mac, Villager, and maybe Bowser Jr.).
Just want to attach an addendum, Bowser Jr. was highly requested but it fell off a lot after Rosalina showed up.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Eh? I can't really picture Steve as a combo heavy aggressive fighter. Steve feels like a heavier character to me, not a mobile one.

I have a seriously hard time imagining how Steve would even play like. Can he put down blocks and remove them at will? Is that how he recover? That sounds kinda broken but interesting at the same time.

A lot of Steve's item are either normal weapons or build blocks. Is there anything that might be good for Smash?
You're actually pretty agile in Minecraft, Steve being able to run at about 15 mph I believe and jumping 3ft high. Things like Potions of Leaping and Swiftness also help. The PvP of Minecraft as it is generally consists of being faster and more aggressive than your opponent, but can go a lot of other ways too.

For things he can do or are from the game that'd be useful; he's able to use things like the Sword (obviously), but the Axe, Bow, Trident, Potions, etc; are also main weapons he could potentially using, and magic Enchaments/Curses with certain buffs/debuffs can be applied to all of these. He also has a shield which blocks attacks and can deflect projectiles in the game. Potion affects can also be applied to the arrows from the bow, made Splash Potions to throw as attacks, and made Lingering (staying on the ground as an AoE for a certain amount of time.) Certain blocks can also be used as attacks, such as TNT, Lava/Water, Magma Blocks or Cacti.

The Fishing Rod can also pull mobs, certain items, or players towards you in the game. Pistons can push players or blocks around, including live TNT and blocks like Dispensers that can shoot out arrows or TNT in a single direction. Slime blocks can bounce players or mobs that land on it. There's also rideable mounts that could potentially be used such as Pigs, Horses, and Boats/Minecarts.

Recovery could be Elytra + Fireworks, which sends you directly upwards (or in the direction you look) before gliding down (you can use this to fly potentially infinitely in the game.) There's a few other ways you could have a recovery for Steve, but I think that'd be the most likely one to actually be used.

Ender Pearls can also be used to gain height in Minecraft, throwing them causes you to instantly teleport wherever they land so they could go that route aswell if they felt it'd work best for the playstyle. You are also technically capable of launching yourself with TNT. I genuinely mean it when I say Steve is one of the most versatile characters to have a moveset for Smash. You can go really just about any direction with it.

(Gif Source)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My only problem with Minecraft is that its art style looks rather bad when compared to other gaming franchises, and would feel out of place in the Super Smash Bros. series. Sure, there's Mr. Game & Watch and his flat appearance, but at least his actual 3D model doesn't consist of only rectangular blocks.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I think if Steve, or another representative for Minecraft, were to be in Smash one aspect of the game that would have to be in his moveset is the blocks from the game. I could see this appearing as his neutral special. Basically, Steve would place a block in front of him which would be randomly selected from a list of block types (diamond and bedrock would be rarer). If used in the air or on a ledge the block could drop and deal damage to whoever it falls on. These blocks would then stay on the field and could act as hazards / zoning tools. Different types would also take a different number of hits to break them. TNT could be incorporated this way appearing sometimes and could act pretty much like in Lyndis_ Lyndis_ 's gif, becoming active and then exploding after a short period of time.

I think there would have to be a limit of 2-3 blocks being on the field at a time so that they can not be stacked and just make an impenetrable wall. This could actually create a pretty interesting fighter.

D

Deleted member

People can dislike Steve all they want.

He's legitimately one of the most popular characters in gaming and I'm willing to bet he did well on the ballot.
I mean... I would have to agree.
I heard there are roughly 144 MILLION USERS IN THAT GAME.

It know Wikipedia is not that reliable of a source, but I could not fine anything else. Plus I heard there are moderators to keep it in check. Still, I generally do not use Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games
( Keep in mind these are just estimates )

I mean look at that gap between Minecraft and Grand Theft Auto. Also according to this, Minecraft and Tetris are the only games that reached more than a 100 million players.

Sakurai's goal is to appeal to a casual audience, and casuals like Minecraft more than the competitive community.

Not saying Steve is guaranteed, but he has a chance at least.

Edit: Good morning everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom