• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Ganon desperately needs a better double jump and better air speed. Reflector would be baller but probably wouldn't help his meta.

but i mean he literally has the worst double jump in the game

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
We literally have no idea, and the entirety of Earthbound is very symbolic and metaphorical anyways so IMO it's not a good idea to put such a metaphorical and eccentric villain such as Giygas in any other sense besides Mother because of how symbolic it is.
Oh yeah, because Tabuu and Master Core were so straightforward and simply designed.

Also...everything in Smash is a toy living in a world of imagination. Literally the entire franchise is symbolism.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
you know there HAS to be more than just 5 DLC. Nintendo knows DAMN WELL DLC will SELL HUGELY that isn't a prediction people its a promise. lol I suspect at least 5 more for a total of 10 paid DLC and thats it. a 3rd set IM ALL FOR IT but i really dont know. :p
Nintendo doesn't make the game though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah, well going off concrete numbers from the currently only official fire emblem popularity poll, the results are:
Lyn=49,917
Lucina votes=42,875
Tharja=29,540
If you want to count Masked Marth(5,420), that makes the combination 4,8295.

I'd say Lyn is still, by and large, "that female fire emblem lord"
Pretty much, considering no one played the original Gaiden. I'd argue Roy & Ike gained more from Smash than she did. She had a pretty large fanbase during Brawl, and was generally at odds with Ike fans.

Maybe it's cause she's missing in action for so long? Lucina didn't have that happen to her yet. I also think it's weird that Sakurai never gave Lyn more attention besides being a AT, now for the third time.
I'd say she's another causality of time. Usurped by the more recent Ike for Brawl, and the overwhelming outcry for her in Heroes came after the project plan was finished. I have little doubt that she'd be added as an Echo if the project plan was outlined after the Heroes poll came out; Sakurai adding Black Knight & Tiki as ATs sticks out heavily in my mind.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Pretty much, considering no one played the original Gaiden. I'd argue Roy & Ike gained more from Smash than she did. She had a pretty large fanbase during Brawl, and was generally at odds with Ike fans.

I'd say she's another causality of time. Usurped by the more recent Ike for Brawl, and the overwhelming outcry for her in Heroes came after the project plan was finished. I have little doubt that she'd be added as an Echo if the project plan was outlined after the Heroes poll came out; Sakurai adding Black Knight & Tiki as ATs sticks out heavily in my mind.
Especially Roy on that front.

I still love the fact that one of his CYL voice lines is, "Roy's our boy!"

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
Can we just appreciate that the Wii Sports theme is now in the same game as Guile's Theme, Breath of the Wild's E3 Theme, and Bloody Tears?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I am utterly convinced that Roy in Smash is essentially an OC and that's the character people like. Ph1r3 b0i and "son of Eliwood" Roy feel so different in terms of personality. Hell, he doesn't even have any version of his designs, just a Smash original one.

I think he probably has THE most differences from his canonical version. ZSS's jet boots notwithstanding.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I am utterly convinced that Roy in Smash is essentially an OC and that's the character people like. Hell, he doesn't even have any version of his designs, just a Smash original one.

I think he probably has THE most differences from his canonical version. ZSS's jet boots notwithstanding.
:ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultrob::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt:

Yeah, let's go with that.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Ohh I hope they don't release the first DLC info alone, I want to know all 5 at once. They have no excuse hiding those after release since they're all already decided. They did that to MK8, so why not Smash. Plus, it'll a bad sales move if they're looking to sell that Fighter's Pass.
FF15: Instead of supporting, make the call with fans for a closing DLC. It's better than waiting for another round. Just show Square that you with the fans demand a closure. No publisher would refuse easy money.

I think Nintendo has nothing to push tbh. Anything beyond what we have 1st party is just extra fat.

You know I think you want epic music from publishers more than their IPs X) Well, here's what I would do, just turn off the music, keep the fx on, then play your favorite music while playing the game. It's that simple. You don't have to find excuses for Vault Boy, Doom guy.. or any unlikely challenger.

I'm joking about the 1 music. I don't think any DLC will go below 5. But I'm guesing 8 would be the average (or what fills a music page), if not higher.

Edit: Oops! missed what I wanted to say here.
That's not a bad piece, celtic flavored too :)
Since we missed the opportunity of Prince of Sable being playable, I'd be really beyond thrilled if Oliver or Evan joined the game, as Namco-Bandai/Level-5 rep.. I know this is not happening but I'll say, Ni no Kuni has one of the most beautiful music in gaming. (Done by none other than Joe Hisaishi). So definitely the tracks surpasses DQ's by eons (or to me personally, any RPG for that matter). So beautiful it'll give you goosebumps. Here's NNK's intro:

I don't think they will release all the DLC at once :/, its more likely they will follow how they did it for Smash Wii U which is one at a time. I think they will do this so they will keep the hype alive all the way until 2020. It will be, but people will buy the fighters pass if they open the DLC with a highly popular character. If people love the first DLC character that will draw interest in the other four, so a lot rides on that first DLC to be great. Especially because the last characters revealed in the base were not all well received and it ended on a lackluster note. So in my opinion I think the first DLC will be a really popular character to draw hype for the rest of the DLC.

I do think they will push Fire Emblem Three Houses as it most likely will be released around the same time as some of these DLC releases. From a marketing standpoint it would make sense that Nintendo would want to push FE Three Houses since this will be this first FE since path of radiance. To be on a home console. A lot of people know FE character because of Smash, but may have never played the actual FE games. This could be a good marketing tactic to draw interest in their new FE Three Houses game.

Haha probably I love music, I might be more excited to see what characters will bring in terms of music than the actual character. Yeah I know I could do that, but I love it when new composers get their hands on other composers music. I like to see if it wows me or its not nearly as good as the original. Good example of this is Apocalypis Noctis in FF15, then Dissidia NT, then Tekken 7. The best one was FF15 version with Yoko as the composer, the mid was Tekken 7's rendition of it. The worst one was Dissidia NT's version of Apocalypsis Noctis. This is what I would like to see in Smash Bros, how would they handle music pieces from Elder Scrolls, DQ, KH, etc.

Well what hurts the music scene in terms of Square is two things Sugiyama if its a DQ character. And in the recent game footage Midgar still only has two songs. Which is super disappointing, unless we can unlock more down the road (doubtful). Plus not a single FF spirit as of yet, does not bode well that Square is again being very stingy with their things. If we throw in Square's on stinginess plus Sugiyama's we will maybe get one or two songs tops. This is why I hope its KH or Geno because with Yoko already on board in Smash Ultimate maybe we will at least get more music than 2 tracks. In terms of the other more generous companies like Bandai Namco and Ubisoft/Microsoft/Bethesda I could see us potentially getting maybe 5-6 music tracks. We will have to see, especially because Elder Scrolls music pieces tend to be really long.

If you like that one I will link you one that I think you'll really like. That music reminds me of Studio Ghibli music XD, which I am down for. I agree that definitely surpasses DQ, its not even a competition this music is just way better. The music definitely has a calming nature about it, but still keeps you focused on its melody.

Last thing if Spawn Wave proves true and Vergeben proves true, then we might see the first Smash DLC character at the game awards. Which will be a Square Enix rep, so I guess if both of these facts are true we don't have long to see which character takes the Square slot.

Here's the track I think you will love so much excitement for the next Avengers movie! (Its a mashup of Avengers & Guardians theme)

Heres what I mean by different composers same song. I would like to see more of this in Smash Ultimate. Especially if Jeremy Soule, Martin O'donnel or Yoko Shimomura are involved in the renditions.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of Fire Emblem though, I'm positive Reinhardt is getting a spirit. Mark my words. :p

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, more in terms of personality. Otherwise, yeah ROB wouldn't exactly be able to do anything in reality... except a ****ty version of down-B
Captain Falcon didn't even had a personality when he was added to Smash 64 and when he got one later, they couldn't be more different.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, because Tabuu and Master Core were so straightforward and simply designed.

Also...everything in Smash is a toy living in a world of imagination. Literally the entire franchise is symbolism.
By symbolic I meant how the power of people thinking hard managed to kill an incredibly powerful alien overlord. It was pretty obvious Giygas represented something more, such as a loss of childhood innocence and things like that. People supporting Ness' party through thoughts and prayers which somehow managed to kill Giygas was symbolic even inside the game itself; there's no realistic way thoughts managed to kill him if he can't be harmed by anything physical that Ness' party can throw at him either.

While Smash's story modes ARE also symbolic of childhood and growing up, characters power levels stay consistent throughout the story with no further symbolism besides "this guy represents X while this other guy represents Y". Everything was handeled logically (well, as logically as it can in the Smash universe). Tabuu wasn't defeated by some metaphysical representation of love and ****. He was defeated because Sonic broke his wings and the rest of the characters could pile on because he couldn't one-shot them anymore. Sonic, here, doesn't represent anything at all. Whereas the prayers (probably) represented love and support that is necessary for children in the process of growing up. Do you see what I mean here? Smash essentially handles the story "logically" after setting up some bare symbolism while Earthbound remains symbolic and metaphorical throughout the entire story where things aren't often handeled "logically" but it doesn't matter because it's symbolic.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
All characters except Zelda and Robin are unable to use him.
After all, magic is everything.
"In battle, a Mage Knight should be equipped with more than just magic my friend."

osby

Smash Obsessed
By symbolic I meant how the power of people thinking hard managed to kill an incredibly powerful alien overlord. It was pretty obvious Giygas represented something more, such as a loss of childhood innocence and things like that. People supporting Ness' party through thoughts and prayers which somehow managed to kill Giygas was symbolic even inside the game itself; there's no realistic way thoughts managed to kill him if he can't be harmed by anything physical that Ness' party can throw at him either.

While Smash's story modes ARE also symbolic of childhood and growing up, characters power levels stay consistent throughout the story with no further symbolism besides "this guy represents X while this other guy represents Y". Everything was handeled logically (well, as logically as it can in the Smash universe). Tabuu wasn't defeated by some metaphysical representation of love and ****. He was defeated because Sonic broke his wings and the rest of the characters could pile on because he couldn't one-shot them anymore. Sonic, here, doesn't represent anything at all. Whereas the prayers (probably) represented love and support that is necessary for children in the process of growing up. Do you see what I mean here? Smash essentially handles the story "logically" after setting up some bare symbolism while Earthbound remains symbolic and metaphorical throughout the entire story where things aren't often handeled "logically" but it doesn't matter because it's symbolic.
Sonic represents him carrying the sales of Brawl. jk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I prefer Simon’s theme from SC4 over Bloody Tears.
I love the similarities to an organ.

Vampire Killer is close to Simon’s Theme for me, doh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

TL;DR YOU CAN'T PUNCH CTHULU IN THE FACE.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Do you see what I mean here?
I do. I don't agree.

What it basically boils down to is, the only thing that's able to harm Giygas, is Giygas. The only way to beat him is to get him to destroy himself, whether that's overwhelming him with emotions in Earthbound, or guilt in Beginnings.

You could replace "Prayers" with "Spirits" and achieve the exact same thing in Smash.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I think Snake Chantey is horrible news for everyone that want Dixie as DLC.
Day after day it becomes a minimum possibility.
It's so unfair that Sakurai messed up not inserting her into Brawl/Smash4 and now they probably thought that 2 Dk newcomers would be too much. Just because DKC aren't japanese games.
I agree that "Sakurai bias' argument is a bit overated, but the man is very harsh with not-JP stuff, at least DK.
He frequently puts the original DK importance over everything else that the series have become.

EDIT: Where's the remix ? I'd like to a least listen and think about the awesome guitar spike I'll never be able to perform.

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I saw in the recent game footage of Smash Ultimate that Palutena's Guidance is back and has been updated. Do you all think we will also get Snake's Codec back as well?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I saw in the recent game footage of Smash Ultimate that Palutena's Guidance is back and has been updated. Do you all think we will also get Snake's Codec back as well?
Probably not, he's voice actor pretty much confirmed it's not returning.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think Snake Chantey is horrible news for everyone that want Dixie as DLC.
Day after day it becomes a minimum possibility.
It's so unfair that Sakurai messed up not inserting her into Brawl/Smash4 and now they probably thought that 2 Dk newcomers would be too much. Just because DKC aren't japanese games.
I agree that "Sakurai bias' argument is a bit overated, but the man is very harsh with not-JP stuff, at least DK.
He frequently puts the original DK importance over everything else that the series have become.
That's life, man.
Sometimes **** really does come down to Sakurai's whims and the roll of the die.
Being at the right place at the right time is just really effective.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman

Yeah but I wanna defeat Galeem by beating the **** out of him. No one kills Isabelle and gets away with it.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I wish man, but probably not. Considering Snake's voice actor confirmed he didn't record any new codecs, I doubt they're coming back.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Has there been any new Metal Gear tracks found? I'm dying to see if Rising music made it untouched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom