• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Anyone here know what Ness and Lucas' new victory theme is? Everyone keeps saying it's the Eight Melodies from EarthBound Beginnings but I'm pretty sure that was their old victory theme??
You can faintly hear it in this video:

Alongside other new ones like Young Link's. Go to 2:50.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I don’t get why they never did a general Ballot, one that lets you vote for any character to be playable in a Smash game regardless of current status.

It’s why the Sm4sh Ballot imo felt limited because of who was left that wasn’t deconfirmed, which why I’m glad they’re not doing one this time.
It probably didnt happen because it didnt fit the vision of what Sakurai wanted to get into smash. There was probably a lot of garbage already being thrown into the ballot even with the limitations.

Still, sometimes the best quality of stuff comes when we put limitations. There are many works out there that became better when the creators received limitations. There are also many works that became garbage the moment the creator was given free reign. I dont see how the ballot would have improved if we allowed people to vote for the mascot of a cereal. If anything, the amount of people voting for something for the "lulz" would have increased. And dont tell me that it wouldnt be the case because this is the internet and we have examples of what too much freedom does to people with places like 4chan.

D

Deleted member

I can confirm that the Devil May Cry cartoon will be real, and it is produced by the team behind Castlevania.

I saw it on IGN.

Troykv

Smash Master
I was expecting some salt; instead I found discussions about butts.

Not that I minded it, but I prefer butts from women.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I hope they aren’t actually setting up a crossover off some sort. When it comes to things like this I prefer when series stay separate. Yes I do recognise the irony.
If you were going to do a crossover of two gaming franchises Castlevania and DMC is far from a bad choice.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
The ballot was a general ballot, the only ones who thought otherwise were the idiots saying "uwu u r wasting ur vote on characters with ingame roles uwu".
Uh, I’m pretty confident it was for Smash 4 DLC.

And could you really blame them? There was no guarantee that an AT/Stage Hazard/whatever would be promoted.

It probably didnt happen because it didnt fit the vision of what Sakurai wanted to get into smash. There was probably a lot of garbage already being thrown into the ballot even with the limitations.

Still, sometimes the best quality of stuff comes when we put limitations. There are many works out there that became better when the creators received limitations. There are also many works that became garbage the moment the creator was given free reign. I dont see how the ballot would have improved if we allowed people to vote for the mascot of a cereal. If anything, the amount of people voting for something for the "lulz" would have increased. And dont tell me that it wouldnt be the case because this is the internet and we have examples of what too much freedom does to people with places like 4chan.
I meant limitations as in the characters who weren’t deconfirmed at the time as being the remaining choices, why on earth would I encourage people to vote for literally any character when I was referring to video game characters?

Of course this is the internet, there’s always gonna idiots wasting their votes on Spongebob, Homer, Naruto or whoever but it’s clear that those aren’t counted whatsoever.

If Sakurai/Nintendo actually told people they could vote for any Nintendo/3rd Party character regardless of game role back then, there wouldn’t be a need for another Ballot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you were going to do a crossover of two gaming franchises Castlevania and DMC is far from a bad choice.
I suppose for me that doesn’t matter so much, just that I’m averse to crossovers like this in the first place. Assuming there is a crossover anyway.
Also DMC is set in the 80s to 90s while CV is mostly set in medieval times so that could be a bit weird story wise.

Troykv

Smash Master
The ballot was a general ballot, the only ones who thought otherwise were the idiots saying "uwu u r wasting ur vote on characters with ingame roles uwu".
I thought both possibilities, affecting DLC and Smash Switch (because I knew Switch wouldn't don't have a Smash Game); but personally it didn't affect me that much anyway xD (My vote was for Micaiah as you would expect).

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220

This reminds of the story of Yooka-Laylee, with how Playtonic had so much freedom, the game ended up feeling "empty" because they had so much ambition. Little did they realize they made Banjo-Kazooie such a great product with all the limitations they had.

Moral of the story:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Uh, I’m pretty confident it was for Smash 4 DLC.

And could you really blame them? There was no guarantee that an AT/Stage Hazard/whatever would be promoted.

I meant limitations as in the characters who weren’t deconfirmed at the time as being the remaining choices, why on earth would I encourage people to vote for literally any character when I was referring to video game characters?

Of course this is the internet, there’s always gonna idiots wasting their votes on Spongebob, Homer, Naruto or whoever but it’s clear that those aren’t counted whatsoever.

If Sakurai/Nintendo actually told people they could vote for any Nintendo/3rd Party character regardless of game role back then, there wouldn’t be a need for another Ballot.
Didn't the announcement say it'd be used for future games? Which happened as K.Rool had the ballot specifically get mentioned for why he got in

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I suppose for me that doesn’t matter so much, just that I’m averse to crossovers like this in the first place. Assuming there is a crossover anyway.
Also DMC is set in the 80s to 90s while CV is mostly set in medieval times so that could be a bit weird story wise.
An ongoing theme of CV is that the curse of Dracula is never really put to rest and the Belmont family is forced to pass on the fight from generation to generation. I know for a fact they reached victorian era and I could be wrong but I thought there was a modern era CV at one point. Either way, taking CV into the modern era is not impossible, and could actually be pretty interesting. I certainly would be up for seeing a 90s 80s Belmont.

Though I'm not sure I follow you on the crossover thing. Do you mean to say you're averse to crossovers in general, or just this specific kind of crossover (and if that's the case, what kind of crossover is this exactly?)

Didn't the announcement say it'd be used for future games? Which happened as K.Rool had the ballot specifically get mentioned for why he got in
Which is probably the main reason they didn't do another one in the first place. They already have a ballot to pick characters out of. And the choices they made for base and DLC seem to be based/planned on said ballot before they even started working considering the Rex situation. If they do a season 2 I could see them opening up another ballot, but I'm fairly confident stuff like Shovel Knight AT, the return of Isaac as an AT, and other elements of Ultimate would never have even happened if not for the ballot

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Don’t recall so at all, I figured it was Smash 4 only which was why I voted unlikely characters at the time like Cranky or Tails.

Sakurai chose :ultkrool: because he was popular from the Ballot, not that he would choose someone from it.

If I knew it had affect for Ultimate’s roster, I could’ve submitted Waluigi/Bandana Dee/Krystal etc in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom