• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
A simple question, what is Classic Mode going to be like? 3DS Classic Mode?
Classic Mode has already been confirmed to be a unique gauntlet of battles like many past Classic Mode titles. For example, Ryu's Classic Mode has him facing off against Ken and then other characters representing Street Fighter chars, all on Omega stages.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Secretly I am a very sexy French spy born in 1949 that is very intelligent, but no one believes me.

Zinith's is a bit weird and all, but I disagree a lot.
No offense, but I get uncomfortable when I look at Link's avatar. I hope I did not offend you. I am just being honest.

Patience, my ally.

I am so excited for the game.

A simple question, what is Classic Mode going to be like? 3DS Classic Mode?
It's going to be like older games. But every character has set battles. Like Isabelle will always fight with four Villagers in the first round etc.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, what music do you hope to see in the final game? Be it remixed, old songs from past games, or in DLC?

I talked about my want for Octopath Traveler music a few days ago, but for franchises already in the game...

Shoutouts to this guy for creating amazing metal covers for lots of games. But, with :ultganondorf: coming back as the OoT version of the King of Evil, getting his final boss theme from that same game would be the true highlight of Ultimate's OST for me.
Well, Mega Man 7 does have some really good music, so I say the intro stage theme from that.

Doesn't have to be a remix, but that wouldn't really be bad.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Alright, look. I think Zinith's avatar is a little weird (those eyes man...) But there is nothing really wrong or offensive about it. Let's lay off him, K?

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
:ultpiranha: 12. Seriously, screw this. There are so many characters who really deserve the slot more than a generic enemy that in his own series doesn't do anything but chomp.
I heavily disagree with Piranha Plant's placement. It's one of the most iconic enemies in gaming and is more recognizable than over half of the roster and almost all highly requested newcomers. Even non-gamers are likely to recognize the plant. I'm very happy we got a character to represent an important aspect of video games (enemies).

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
That is such a bizarre standard. I see nothing wrong with this pic. There's not a single NSFW aspect to it at all. You're the one inserting that aspect to it
I didn't say it itself was NSFW. I said it was a redesign intended to be used for NSFW purposes, and I stand by that. It's the closest you can get to anthropomorphised Yoshi without a Princess Crown.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course, I'm just sayin'.

talk to us man is everything alright
Honestly, this is almost normal for me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I heavily disagree with Piranha Plant's placement. It's one of the most iconic enemies in gaming and is more recognizable than over half of the roster and almost all highly requested newcomers. Even non-gamers are likely to recognize the plant. I'm very happy we got a character to represent an important aspect of video games (enemies).
I'm very happy because he's such a weird and bizarre character and it's a welcome addition after the mostly normal characters and echoes we got this time.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Trailing back to the tales of announcment. I found this, someone pointed out something interesting

For the character voice actors that are attending
Raven and Rita are obviously in for the remaster
Mileena due to Tales of the rays publicity
And the new protagonist because obvious reasons
Lloyd is the only one being there for no reason Like his voice actor being there for no marketing reasons is worth noting

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/11/15/tales-of-series-23rd-anniversary-broadcast-8th-december-2018/

Noipoi

Howdy!
Trailing back to the tales of announcment. I found this, someone pointed out something interesting

Lloyd is the only one being there for no reason Like his voice actor being there for no marketing reasons is worth noting

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/11/15/tales-of-series-23rd-anniversary-broadcast-8th-december-2018/
I still don't know what the heck a Lloyd is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The thing is that Castlevania is super iconic compared to Golden Sun and Banjo-Kazooie, and Richter is only a bonus echo fighter, so the relevancy aspect can't really be applied to him. Even so, Richter is still a main character while Geno isn't.
Not to mention Castlevania still kept getting games. Lords of Shadow 2 came out in 2014 you know

Iridium

Smash Hero

Every time you post something like this, I legitimately hope it goes somewhere. It would be a dream to see both Lloyd and Isaac as characters in an official Smash game (not counting SSF2, though).

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Ok this really bugs the everloving **** out of me and Smash fans have been doing this for-****ing-ever.
IT'S SPELLED. I N C I N E R O A R. AND NOT INCENEROAR. Incenaroar is acceptable due to it being a wrestler pun but goddammit this drives me bat****
OK calm down, a simple typo is nothing to make a big fuss about besides that I didn't exactly know how to spell the name since I'm not familiar with Incineroar outside of Smash. It's pretty childish to get so triggered by a typo...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I get that and all and have no problem with the inclusion, but I still want to know why Sakurai chose the Piranha Plant specifically., instead of like, a Koopa Troopa,, a Goomba, or a Boo.
Those three are merchandisable characters in their own right in regards to the Mario franchise, especially in comparison to the Piranha Plant.
In this case, the Plant is a darkhorse among darkhorses.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo

Best of luck! ...could also be that Lloyd's seiyuu is providing a voice in a new game too. I'm tempering my expectations myself, especially since Smash is such a guarded series. Heck, the only exception I've seen to Nintendo branching out in showing off something outside of their own events/timeslots for Smash, was at E3 this year to announce a Direct. ...granted that Direct was great! Regardless of what happens during that, we're bound to see some neat stuff.

The thing is that Castlevania is super iconic compared to Golden Sun and Banjo-Kazooie, and Richter is only a bonus echo fighter, so the relevancy aspect can't really be applied to him. Even so, Richter is still a main character while Geno isn't.
I'm gonna just step in here with my own proverbial two cents, beg pardon. Does Castlevania trump Golden Sun and Banjo-Kazooie? Yes, statistically speaking and legacy-wise. Does that factor in what characters get into Smash?

In my opinion? No. Cloud Strife, frankly, didn't have a place in Smash even if his franchise started with Nintendo. Even if he was there for Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and a couple other titles as of recent date. Snake and Sonic were the trendsetters for 3rd party, but Cloud is the true "never ever" character that will be VERY difficult to top. Anyways, my point here is that Sakurai and the dev team call the shots on who/what they want to make. Even a freaking Piranha Plant, who (in my opinion) was put in because the devs WANTED to, not to fill a role in history to represent "mob" enemies.

Relevancy doesn't play much of a role in who gets in Smash. Look at Duck Hunt. That duo haven't really done jack squat or anything groundbreaking. At this stage, anything's possible.

Link from Popstar County

Banned via Administration
I get that and all and have no problem with the inclusion, but I still want to know why Sakurai chose the Piranha Plant specifically., instead of like, a Koopa Troopa,, a Goomba, or a Boo.
Those three are merchandisable characters in their own right in regards to the Mario franchise, especially in comparison to the Piranha Plant.
You never know what you can come up with if you just let the right thing inspire you.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm super intrigued to know how Piranha Plant really came into fruition. I kinda think it might've been just some random project they tried out and decided to go all the way and give it away as a bonus haha. I wonder if Petey acted as an inspiration as well, seeing as Galleom returns from Brawl, maybe they opted to bring back Petey... and take it a step further again.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
The hype created by Geno as DLC would excite the Smash fanbase.

The reveal of Sora would create internet imploding hype, similar to Cloud or Snake.

I love Geno. I think he’s a great character, and he would be extremely fun. Like, I would love to see him revealed. To compare him and say that he makes more sense, or something to that effect, than Sora? No way.

We’re comparing a character from a one off SNES game, it doesn’t matter if it’s “relevant” because of a collectible item that Nintendo is selling. Geno doesn’t sell that, the mere fact that it’s a collectible that has classic games on it sells that.

While I see where some people are coming from in terms of “KH fans won’t necessarily buy a Switch and the game just to play as Sora”. Great. Then why add Snake? Why add Cloud? Why add Bayonetta? That’s a crap point, and it’s absurd. It means literally nothing.

3rd party characters are beginnings for business relationships and advertisement, as well as making this the greatest gaming crossover in gaming history. Geno wouldn’t contribute to that, but Sora would.

Did you notice how in the September Direct, Final Fantasy VII, X, and IX were announced for Switch? That conveniently happened after Cloud, and after relations between the two companies (Nintendo and SE) greatly improved.

There is little to no reason, if i’m being honest, to believe that Geno would sell more than Sora. Smash fans will mostly buy anything, #1, and I do think some of you underestimate just how much impact adding 3rd parties has.

I actually have a friend who has said if Sora was in Smash, he’d definitely get a Switch. Yes, it’s anecdotal evidence, but let’s not pretend it’s impossible.

What a mouthful. I’m not anti-Geno. I love Geno, and want to see him happen. I also like Sora, and think him happening would be crazy. Let’s not start up some ridiculous debate about the two characters though.

Think of it this way. You have a reveal of Smash DLC at the VGAs. Who would get more of a pop...Sora, the extremely iconic and “recognizable to almost any gaming fan” character, or Geno, a character that is mostly known within the Smash fanbase but is easily not recognized nearly as much as Sora?
Yeah. I think people could be overestimating Geno's chances. It would take a miracle for him to get in at this point.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's got a lot of things going for it in terms of making a character.
Like it's cartoony and stretchy so he's easy to animate, has a lot to draw from, has a distinct "hungry" personality, and is still relatively recognizable. That probably made him a slightly better contender than the rest of the Mario cast.

Last edited:

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Ok ok, picture this...

The trailer starts with Mario and Pac-man duking it out in a grassy field, when suddenly something comes flying from above, and they barely dodge, when suddenly they hear a flutter...
KLONOA ARRIVES FROM PHANTOMILE!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It's honestly quite disturbing seeing the mental gymnastics certain people perform to convince themselves an obscure character with no future is likelier and would sell more than any other one. It feels like quite a few people here are somewhat detached from reality.
If reading people have hopes for their character, speculating one over the other, is disturbing to you... With all due respect, you need to step off. Backhanded downtalking is not cool. Period.

It doesn't matter what happens or not. Don't be that person who thinks they're holier than thou just because you see things differently.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's got a lot of things going for it in terms of making a character.
Like it's cartoony and stretchy so he's easy to animate, has a lot to draw from, has a distinct "hungry" personality, and is still relatively recognizable. That probably made him a slightly better contender than the rest of the Mario cast.
I'd argue that Boo would still be the biggest contender among the mooks, but I can at least see where Piranha Plant may have edged out Goomba and Koopa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd argue that Boo would still be the biggest contender among the mooks, but I can at least see where Piranha Plant may have edged out Goomba and Koopa.
I think probably the most difficult thing for Boo is to both capture his floaty ghost nature while still justifying why he needs to touch the ground to recover his jumps and such.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If reading people have hopes for their character, speculating one over the other, is disturbing to you... With all due respect, you need to step off. Backhanded downtalking is not cool. Period.

It doesn't matter what happens or not. Don't be that person who thinks they're holier than thou just because you see things differently.
It's honestly quite disturbing seeing the mental gymnastics certain people perform to convince themselves an obscure character with no future is likelier and would sell more than any other one. It feels like quite a few people here are somewhat detached from reality.
Also, like, these comments were made several hours ago. Don't revive a dead argument that no one's there to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom