• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Do you guys believe the theory that Sakurai is trying to "warn" us that corporate picks nobody asked for is all we're getting for the Fighters Pass?
No, I don't think that was his intention. I personally viewed it as "We're not taking player input on this, please stop spamming us with requests 24/7".

Also, I've said it once and I'll say it again: Just because a character isn't shouted from the rooftops like the likes of Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno on forums, doesn't mean they don't have fans that would be thrilled to see them. Just because it isn't some character from a botted fan pole doesn't mean it's a "corporate" pick designed to ignore fans.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
They really are trying hard with Assist Trophies this time, making them more aggressive in fights, capable of fighting one another, some being KO'd, and could potentially factor into the World of Light, but we're going to be dealing with something that will replace what shall replace the "Ridley's Too Big" argument, and I refer to it as the "Assist Trophy Glass Ceiling" argument. It's something you will be hearing a lot of from now on.

From now on.
tbh while I appreciate the fact characters like Waluigi and Shadow are in via assist and they are working on making them more interactive, how can they not understand that the way they deconfirmed SO many characters at the end, and finished on Kencineroar, REALLY pissed off a lot of people? And that making ATs more interactive only makes it hurt that much more that they aren't actually playable? Having an AT essentially acting like a mini fighter just deepens the disappointment for those fanbases tbh.

Ridley's no longer too big but there's no way Sakurai doesn't know about the Smash community's reactions post that last direct. He probably knew about the Grinch leak too and knows that he deconfirmed extremely desired characters pretty savagely - if a smash 6 is happening, I really hope they take into consideration better marketing techniques and include a good number of the deconfirmeds the next time around, or consider them for future ultimate DLC waves. I'm totally fine with Ultimate getting more DLC waves as opposed to a new smash game if that means more meaningful content.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There shouldn't even be a Smash 6 since it'll only be 1/3 of the roster. Ultimate I still feel is a perfect conclusion to rap the franchise but that's just me.

Either do a spin-off like some RPG or a vs. crossover series (Capcom, Shonen Jump or whatever).

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I love this very out there theory that Sakurai wouldn't just back away from Smash as director if he had to play a yes man to Nintendo.

He doesn't strike me as a Yes Man in the least.

So if you legit believe he's being forced to release DLC fighters he had no say or choice in than uhh....be my guest.

I just feel like we'd be looking at a different director for DLC if that was the case.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
No, I don't think that was his intention. I personally viewed it as "We're not taking player input on this, please stop spamming us with requests 24/7".

Also, I've said it once and I'll say it again: Just because a character isn't shouted from the rooftops like the likes of Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno on forums, doesn't mean they don't have fans that would be thrilled to see them. Just because it isn't some character from a botted fan pole doesn't mean it's a "corporate" pick designed to ignore fans.
Honestly, a lot of those characters like Piranha Plant are far more interesting than stuff like Geno/Ashley/Waluigi could ever be

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
tbh while I appreciate the fact characters like Waluigi and Shadow are in via assist and they are working on making them more interactive, how can they not understand that the way they deconfirmed SO many characters at the end, and finished on Kencineroar, REALLY pissed off a lot of people? And that making ATs more interactive only makes it hurt that much more that they aren't actually playable? Having an AT essentially acting like a mini fighter just deepens the disappointment for those fanbases tbh.

Ridley's no longer too big but there's no way Sakurai doesn't know about the Smash community's reactions post that last direct. He probably knew about the Grinch leak too and knows that he deconfirmed extremely desired characters pretty savagely - if a smash 6 is happening, I really hope they take into consideration better marketing techniques and include a good number of the deconfirmeds the next time around, or consider them for future ultimate DLC waves. I'm totally fine with Ultimate getting more DLC waves as opposed to a new smash game if that means more meaningful content.
I personally don't understand why they didn't swap Kencineroar's trailer around with the Belmonts. End it on new third-party hype right after Halloween instead of the most obvious picks.

To be honest I love the Assist Trophy roster, even though there's a large chunk of characters there I'd rather see playable over the actual cast we have. The more I continue to examine Shadow's case the more I think that either a) he was going to be the last Echo to round the count out but fell through or b) they were simply unaware of demand for him that was generated too late for him to be included. It's still a mystery, but also the sad truth we have to live with.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Also twenty bucks says we find an unfinished Final Fantasy assist trophy when datamining the game

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't think good marketing is searching fan favorite characters from internet and then announcing they won't be playable in the first direct.

Also, what is "SO many characters"? Shadow and Isaac? First direct deconfirmed Waluigi, Lyn and Midna. Unless Smash fandom drops this "not shown=hiding=playable" mentality, they are bound to be disappointed. A marketing campaign's purpose shouldn't be protecting hardcore fans from their own imagination.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Honestly at this point I would be happier if Ultimate just ended up getting ported to other consoles with additional content rather than a full reboot of the series.

There is no way they can top the hype surrounding this game with any reboot, solely based on the sheer amount of playable characters we have.

Just refine the gameplay, add some more characters and content and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I have a semi-game to play!
Give one unique thing to a generic FE mook as if they are in Smash Bros.

For Example:
Soldier's charging F-Smash has him twirling his lance, you can move left, or right while you charge it before you thrust out the lance with chains (A reference to the Generals Crit. animation from the GBA FE games).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly at this point I would be happier if Ultimate just ended up getting ported to other consoles with additional content rather than a full reboot of the series.

There is no way they can top the hype surrounding this game with any reboot, solely passed on the sheer amount of playable characters we have.

Just refine the gameplay, add some more characters and content and you're good to go.
This or as I said a spin-off or Vs. crossover game. I'd be fine with either.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I have a semi-game to play!
Give one unique thing to a generic FE mook as if they are in Smash Bros.

For Example:
Soldier's charging F-Smash has him twirling his lance, you can move left, or right while you charge it before you thrust out the lance with chains (A reference to the Generals Crit. animation from the GBA FE games).
Getting hit by an archer's bow shot while you're airborne doubles the knockback and damage you take.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
I hope Nintendo announces an eshop demo at that Thanksgiving tournament. I don’t think I can make it three weeks.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
To be honest I love the Assist Trophy roster, even though there's a large chunk of characters there I'd rather see playable over the actual cast we have. The more I continue to examine Shadow's case the more I think that either a) he was going to be the last Echo to round the count out but fell through or b) they were simply unaware of demand for him that was generated too late for him to be included. It's still a mystery, but also the sad truth we have to live with.
I think it's pretty likely that some of the advanced assist trophies with good models (i.e Spring Man, Waluigi, and Alucard) were originally supposed to be characters, but got retrofitted to assist trophies because of a lack of dev time. We won't know for sure until we can properly look at the game files though.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Best prepare to being disappointed again even if Lloyd is among my predictions.
What's interesting is that they do these things around or after the date of the series's anniversary. Like last year was the 16th, but it's the 8th this time, one week before the anniversary date and it's 2 days after VGAs. And I know Namco has been working to promote the series in the west lately. And we still haven't heard anything about that unknown Switch title.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown

There is no way they can top the hype surrounding this game with any reboot, solely passed on the sheer amount of playable characters we have.

You know what could be worse than a Smash reboot ?
A 3D Smash reboot. Oh yeah, the trash potential.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I really do love Smash. Having never gotten into Brawl competitively, I treasure it as the first time I really dove into a game. It's probably the first game I ever hit over 200 hours in, and definitely the first game I ever hit 100% completion. I never went back to Melee because I just didn't care for how it felt, but when Smash 4 rolled around, I was all-in on that. I have more hours in Smash 4 than anything else, nothing even comes close. I adore Smash 4.

But with Ultimate? Something's really been brought back to me. It's brought back to me what it really means to love a game. Smash honestly shaped me into the type of gamer I am today, and it's why Sakurai is my all-time favorite director. I honestly think if it weren't for Smash I wouldn't love gaming as a whole nearly as much. I wouldn't strive to get better, I wouldn't strive to achieve, and I wouldn't have any ambition to accomplish goals.

It feels good to look back at the games of my past. I had never 100%'d a game before Brawl, and in the buildup to Ultimate, it just feels right to go back and appreciate what Brawl gave me and complete them again. 100%'d Thousand Year Door two weeks ago, just 100%'d Wind Waker a few minutes ago. Probably gonna try to get Twilight Princess done before Star Allies' final DLC drops, and I'm gonna do the Metroid Prime Trilogy before MP4 comes out.

Brawl was also the first game I ever really played multiplayer. I was never good at any other multiplayer games before, but Brawl really taught me that I could start low and build myself up, that I didn't have to worry about being less skilled as long as I had fun. Brawl helped get me through a really rough patch of my life, and Smash 4 has made me more friendships in my college years than I could count.

I'm shouting into a bottomless pit, but I really do want to thank Masahiro Sakurai and his team for shaping me into the type of gamer, and even the type of person I am today. Ultimate won't be a perfect game, but it will be perfect for me. Brawl was there for me as a kid, Smash 4 was there for me through college, and Ultimate may be the game that defines me for the next seven or eight years of my post-college life.

I'm so glad this game exists.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have no self-control whatsoever. Yes, I'm going to main 13 characters, why do you ask?
Because that's not having a main at that point that's just playing 1/6 the random button

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294

Leaked pic of Sakurai after that:

Seriously though, part of me would hate to see this happen. Sakurai deserves a break. I also don't really want to see Smash end up like Skyrim, where they refuse to let it die.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom