• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Now, now. Let's not flame too much now. It is better to have civil discussion than it is to call other people drones.
Eh, bird is sung already.

Always been cool with Golden too. I guess having a normal discussion wasn't in the cards without someone having to be rude.

Last edited:

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
To all the people who think this is going to be a port, it has actually been confirmed by Nintendo insiders that there will be newcomers, meaning it is a completely new game.

Now, I'm gonna put down some guesses as to who these newcomers could be.
Inklings (obviously)
Tails
Waluigi
Spring Man (ARMS)
Rex (Xenoblade 2)
Fire Emblem protagonists (the new FE would most likely come out before SSB5, making Rowan and Lianna improbable)

There's also hope for some veterans coming back, like Ice Climbers or Wolf. (Snake isn't happening, just accept it.)

While the Mario in the trailer was wearing a normal hat, it would be very interesting to see a new revamped Mario that revolved around Cappy. He could use his side special to throw him out and could then use it for interesting movement options and a good recovery. Speaking of movement options, his dair/downB could be a ground pound which he can roll out of for an extra long roll or jump out of for an extra high jump (just like in the game). I am unsure if he will keep his current up special, since cappy throw > double jump > up B > bounce off cappy > double jump again > up B seems a little busted as a recovery.

Edit: Welp, I couldn't have been more wrong. Snake actually came back, despite Konami ****ery. Tails, Waluigi, Spring Man, and Rex have all been deconfirmed. The new FE game hasn't come out yet, and our roster is finalized. Only mario's taunts and up-B have Cappy show up, and the up B isn't different. (Also, as an Odyssey player, the up B giving purple coins is completely inaccurate; you can't get them from killing an enemy. You have to find them in very welly-hidden spots.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Golden. Was it really necessary to say this? Nah, fam it wasn't.

It's basically the internet version of "shut up."
If that's all you're getting out of that, then maybe I didn't make myself clear.

You're being excessive over the subject, going out of your way for several posts about how "so many of us" can't seem to think on the issue in a certain way and you have to educate us on the matter.

And in doing so, you're not swaying me to your side whatsoever, but rather doing the complete opposite.

That better?

Now, now. Let's not flame too much now. It is better to have civil discussion than it is to call other people drones.
....what does it mean to call someone a "drone"?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I wasn't even talking to you once in that conversation, Golden.

I was talking with many others, but none of them were you.

If said posts annoyed you? Which they clearly did.

Just move along? Eat a nice sandwich and enjoy the rest of your day.

But nah man. You straight up came in here and said ''Would you please shut up." basically.

I made multiple posts none of which said the same thing on the subject.

I had no idea that was against the rules of discussion. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
If Isabelle was added it would make me very happy as I have an Isabelle amiibo on my shelf and I want to use it. But it is pretty hypocritical to come up with all those moves from Isabelle and say that someone like Daisy isn’t capable of anything Roger.

D

Deleted member

I wasn't even talking to you once in that conversation, Golden.

I was talking with many others, but none of them were you.

If said posts annoyed you? Which they clearly did.

Just move along? Eat a nice sandwich and enjoy the rest of your day.

But nah man. You straight up came in here and said ''Would you please shut up." basically.

I made multiple posts none of which said the same thing on the subject.

I had no idea that was against the rules of discussion. :rolleyes:
Fine, whatever, I'm sorry.
I'm an asshole that should be put to death.
I'm an irredeemable piece of **** whose only hope in life is to bring pain and misery to anyone who has the displeasure to know I even exist.

Satisfied?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm an ******* that should be put to death.

Satisfied?
Not really, because it's a vapid insincere apology and not at all what I was trying to infer in any of my posts.

But for the sake of the thread I'll accept the apology and we'll just move along.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If Isabelle was added it would make me very happy as I have an Isabelle amiibo on my shelf and I want to use it. But it is pretty hypocritical to come up with all those moves from Isabelle and say that someone like Daisy isn’t capable of anything Roger.
How is it hypocritical to say "Daisy doesn't really have anything to stand out in comparison to other options" and "I can think of stuff Isabelle can do that nobody else who's as popular as her really seem to do including Animal Crossing mechanics and stuff involving her personality"? Are all Daisy fans like this or are you an alt?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I haven't seen all 795 pages of the thread, so pardon me if this has already been discussed, but I haven't seen a dedicated thread yet; what kind of assist trophies would you like to see and what would they do? Here are some of my ideas
-Hedlok from ARMS, who could latch onto a player and make them attack others (if its a 1v1, he could fly around with his 4 arm nonsense punching your enemy).
-Galactica Knight from Kirby, who has attacks that basically write themselves for an assist or even boss
-Master Kohga from BOTW, who could drop/launch spiked balls at players
-Lakitu from Mario Kart; he stays in the background of hte stage until the summoner falls off the pit. He then goes down and saves the player from losing a stock
-Dr Robotnik from Sonic, who could swing his wrecking ball like the iconic first boss fight in Sonic 1

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I ain't got time for all this constant unnecessary negativity being thrown my way right now.

Look I just made up with Golden. I ain't got time for your thing RosiePeaches RosiePeaches especially since it's neither here nor there.

D

Deleted member

I'm an irredeemable piece of **** whose only hope in life is to bring pain and misery to anyone who has the displeasure to know I even exist.

Satisfied?
I have another answer. You are one of my favorite users.
You helped me a lot when I was depressed.
Do not let a user ruin your day. Have some pizza instead.
Isabelle would be a nice addition in Smash Bros.
Animal Crossing does need more representation other than Villager in the roster.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Okay. Apparently now I'm ruining Golden's day just by simply having a discussion.

Jesus. I'm out.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't think anyone is going to disagree with how massive AC is, or how popular Isabelle is. But I would not call her incredibly likely. I've entertained the idea, and I'm sure in the planning process Sakurai has entertained her as a character given her popularity. It's all down to whether or not Sakurai feels Isabelle can (a) help better represent AC in Smash or (b) use something or be a character that is unique and unlike anyone else. I think Villager represents AC as a whole well enough and I personally can't think of anything Isabelle can bring to the table.

To me she's 50-50. I wouldn't be surprised if we do or do not get her.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Honestly I think its more likely we don't get a Xenoblade rep at all than an X rep getting over Rex & Pyra since I feel that Monolith would simply give Sakurai a heads up on Xenoblade 2 if he went to them to ask about any potential Xenoblade rep.
I feel differently. If we're getting one rep, Rex has the greatest chance out of all the potential Xenoblade characters. But that doesn't mean Cross or Elma don't have some potential too. If we're getting two characters, then I can see a character from X for the base roster and Rex for DLC. A scenario where we don't receive any new Xenoblade newcomers is the least likely outcome IMO.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I find the whole 3rd party debate to be really interesting. Some people want icons, others want their (insert 3rd party choice) here, while others want characters that aren't even video game characters.

You thought Bayonetta stood out?

Listen, everybody has their wants right? I freaking love Spider-Man, the Avengers, X-Men, all sorts of stuff. Hell, even Joe Biden might make an epic old-man fighter. But are we really looking for characters that aren't video game characters at their core? That's kinda sad, right? We know this to be true.

I have a friend who would sincerely love to see Goku in Smash (has even said he thinks there's a chance because Goku is a mascot of the upcoming Olympics*?), but every time I tell him it wouldn't make sense. There are tons of great characters out there that would be amazing 3rd party candidates. Crash is one of them (despite the fact that I'm not too sure of him happening!), and the fact that they're all passed over makes me incredibly sad.

To clarify, I'm totally in agreement that the roster should, at any given time, be largely Nintendo. I also don't think any 3rd party series should have more than one character. To me, that means no Tails, no Sephiroth (even though he'd be badass, my dudes), no Chun-Li, no Proto-Man. Nintendo should be the focus, but I don't think that means we need to decrease the 3rd parties we have. The ones we have (maybe not Bayonetta, but she's fun) are effectively legend status characters. No matter how you slice it, they're gaming powerhouses just like Mario, Pikachu or Link. We've gotten a handful of those. That, Smash fans, is something to be proud of.

Now, what I'm curious about is the future of 3rd parties. We've got the big names. If the contracts stay in place, it's even more epic. Now, adding to that, who's next in line?

I think it really depends on the direction Sakurai wants to take, what games he's played, what standards he abides by. He definitely views the 3rd parties as "a class of their own", which I believe he specifically said about Mega Man, but I can imagine would apply to Ryu, Pac-Man and Cloud. Bayonetta gets a pass here as the ballot winner. (Plz do not restart the futile debate about her actually winning the ballot. I really don't care, and it's irrelevant at this point anyway.)

There are quite a few gaming icons from 3rd party companies (as in, not Sony and Microsoft). You've got Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Shovel Knight, even Lara Croft, or other characters that didn't/aren't planned to appear on Nintendo consoles like Tracer for Overwatch (freaking huge right now), and there is simply a wonderful array of characters to choose from.

We don't need Goku or Naruto, my dudes. (sorry, I just love saying my dudes...NOT TO MENTION IT'S STILL WEDNESDAY!)

I'm simply curious as to what would place future 3rd parties next to the ones we have. Obviously there's the possibility that we don't have the same 3rd party roster next time, and that would be a shame, but it's quite the guest roster to have. Thoughts?
Well, Goku is a mascot for the 2020 Olympics, because the Olympics are gonna be in Japan, but Goku would be OP as all hell in Smash

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Isabella like Pyra can't get in because she shows too much legs with her skirt. The rating would go up from E10 to T. They would have to give her slacks or something. :bee: (Commence the Pyra triggers)
Yeah, Isabelle and Pyra have the same problems...
Even though Isabelle is already in Mario Kart 8 lol, just saying.
The issue with Rex and Pyra being an "obvious" choice is that there is Xenoblade X, which was already out (likely) before Smash Switch began development. A new Xenoblade rep is highly probable since the series has gained two additional games since Smash 3DS/Wii U, but it could be anyone from XCX or XC2.
Just hope for the best I guess... I think XCX will be better to have stage and m=soundtrack while XC2 will have characters...

This is just my hopes though, safe bet is we only get XCX stage and soundtrack.

Max (Xenoblade 2)
Who's Max?
Another spoiler character?:troll:

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

Satisfied?
Nope. There's a huge area of middle ground. You missed it.

I haven't seen all 795 pages of the thread, so pardon me if this has already been discussed, but I haven't seen a dedicated thread yet; what kind of assist trophies would you like to see and what would they do? Here are some of my ideas
-Hedlok from ARMS, who could latch onto a player and make them attack others (if its a 1v1, he could fly around with his 4 arm nonsense punching your enemy).
-Galactica Knight from Kirby, who has attacks that basically write themselves for an assist or even boss
-Master Kohga from BOTW, who could drop/launch spiked balls at players
-Lakitu from Mario Kart; he stays in the background of hte stage until the summoner falls off the pit. He then goes down and saves the player from losing a stock
-Dr Robotnik from Sonic, who could swing his wrecking ball like the iconic first boss fight in Sonic 1
Not a ton of discussion of AT's yet.

- Lakitu was already an AT in Brawl, but I do think your idea is kind of a neat one!
- I'd love for the Metroid to come back.
- Some kind of Kirby villain would be great. If Marx / Dark Matter can't get in as playable, AT is a nice conselation.
- I also want Petey Pirhana back somehow, preferable in a Boss Mode, but again, AT works too

Pakky

Smash Hero
Sypro is a silly dream but I want him...

after thinking about it I guess the little AC pupper is a good choice

not sure about the moveset but yeah

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Coming up with Assist Trophies and Pokeball Pokémon has always been pretty fun for me, it's interesting to come up with what they could do despite not being a fighter. I've posted an idea for Passimian in the AT/PB thread already (basically 2 Passimian play a game of catch with a coconut), but I have a couple of other ideas:

Alolan Exeggutor: It winds up its head and slams it down using Dragon Hammer

Oricorio: Uses Relevation Dance, effects depends on which forme appears. An aura field that has range similar to Konga Beat surrounds Oricorio, and can either do fire damage, electric damage, put fighters to sleep, or place a flower on their head depending on the form.

Nihilego: Basically what the Metroid AT does

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
And at worse Lucina, Dr. Mario, Roy, and Dark Pit are cases of a ''Popular character" who is just an extra desert.
I know most people want Sakurai to add the Sahara as a bonus stage in Smash 5, but personally, I hope he adds the Tabernas.

Much higher quality desert, there.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Smash switch may have the same "problem" that Brawl did in that the console it's launching on had a lot of big games for it's main series and risks out-dating itself before it starts.

Of course, a little DLC will fix that problem, at the expense of... well expense.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Wonder if Incenaroar will get a Battle Bond type thing in Gen 8. "Champion mode??"

Gen 8 is gonna be announced probably some time this month or May, that movie probably got a lot to to with it.

Also on the matter of "X was too late in development to be added."

Look at :4greninja: now back to me now back at :4greninja: and back to me.

We don't know who Sakurai has been talking to during developments of these games and when.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not really, because it's a vapid insincere apology and not at all what I was trying to infer in any of my posts.

But for the sake of the thread I'll accept the apology and we'll just move along.
Insincere? You really know nothing about me, huh?
Even if being sarcastic in the overall point, I would straight up not apologize if I didn't think it was warranted.

I'm just....going through a lot of internal **** right now, and your overall demeanor in regards to the subject gave me the impression (regardless of whether or not it was directed at me or even intentional in general) that I am in a statistic that deserves sarcastic ridicule for not seeing just how much "potential" Isabelle has and how dare I have any reason to question her, which was something I just wasn't in the mood to deal with when normally, I would just roll my eyes at such a thing and move on.

I am legitimately sorry for being rude, it was uncalled for.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Who doesn't want to see Isabelle beat up Goku, I mean really.

Sometimes the more preposterous the character the better.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pretty much any character is capable of being a Smash fighter. I don't think anyone could really say Daisy doesn't have ANY potential, but she's not going to be to everyone's tastes. Heck, not every one likes K. Rool, Takamaru and Ridley, the darlings of Smashboards, sometimes you just gotta accept some aren't going to agree unless you provide them something enticing for them to get their teeth into.

I see a lot of mention of flower based movesets regarding Daisy, but what's the playstyle like? Is she a defensive player forming giant Piranha plants as walls, or is she offensive?

Re: Isabelle, I can see Isabelle being added as just a popular pick. I don't think there's anything wrong with have some characters get in for the sake of their character and series being a massive deal, but I'm damned if I can think of anything outside the clumsy moveset idea for her.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Is King Hippo a good idea or nah?

Also, man Wario doesn't really have a villain does he?

Captain Syrup is more of an ally or rival like Dedede

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Hello everybody. I already posted this in the Stage Speculation thread, but I thought I'd post it here for visibility. Hopefully this isn't considered too off-topic.

Basically what I'm doing is putting together a survey to see which stages the community wants in the next Smash.

Right now I'm doing some preliminary suggestion gathering. If you have the time, fill out this Google Form with a stage you'd like to see in the next Smash! It will help me compile a list of options for the final survey. Suggestions with many votes will be more likely to make it onto the questionnaire.
Update: I should have probably clarified that this survey is mainly for new stage ideas. I've already got a handful of returning stages as responses - it's my bad for not explaining well enough. Apologies for not being clear!

Also, I think I'm going to keep it open for responses until May.

Is King Hippo a good idea or nah?
I've thought about him before - honestly he could be a fun and silly addition, but I'm not sure, is Punch-Out big enough to warrant two characters? I could definitely see him as an assist trophy though.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
There's a lot of talk of Isabelle here, which I think is a pretty good character choice. Personally the lack of characters from a series called "Animal Crossing" in Smash is a little weird.

D

Deleted member

I think Smash switch may have the same "problem" that Brawl did in that the console it's launching on had a lot of big games for it's main series and risks out-dating itself before it starts.

Of course, a little DLC will fix that problem, at the expense of... well expense.
That's true, it's also worth noting there have been significant drought periods after both Brawl's and Smash Wii U's releases.

Like, after Brawl finally launched in Europe, there have been mostly shovelwares and games like Wii Music for like one year.
And after Smash Wii U's release, there has been Splatoon, and, hum...

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
In terms of Pokeball Pokemon, if we get Decidueye, we can pretty much guarantee that Litten and Popplio will both be Pokeball Pokemon (like the Greninja situation in Smash 4). However, I know that Incineroar is crazy popular so he could be there instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom