• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
What has hitachi said about Sora if anything
Nothing that I know of. He's said that the Square Enix character will be very well known. I think he said that he's heard something about Dragon Quest being mentioned. Someone asked about Lara Croft and he seemed to dismiss her. I'm betting on it being Dragon Quest personally

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Hey, Dragon Quest fans, do the Heroes like Erdrick, Eight, and Eleven have anything specific that differentiates them, like different mechanics/abilities? A potential DQ rep would probably be one of these (Inb4 Slime and side characters) and since there isn't a clear choice between them, could the DQ rep be a Koopaling type character with different characters as alts?
Eight has tension mechanics which let you manually power up in a round to deal more damage and he goes super saiyan at full tension. The Luminary has pep power that boosts character specific stats whenever you get enough damage and can give you a special move depending on who you team with.

Pakky

Smash Hero
On pokemon I hope gen 8 keeps it up with thematic starters.

Hopefully the grass one is the most useful this time and hopefully not a quadruped and or a fatty.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
On pokemon I hope gen 8 keeps it up with thematic starters.

Hopefully the grass one is the most useful this time and hopefully not a quadruped and or a fatty.
The last fat quadruped grass starter that we had was in gen four, I believe.

D

Deleted member

The last "fat" Grass Starter is arguably Meganium. If Meganium doesn't count, then Venusaur surely does.

...but why are we even talking about Grass Starters being "fat" to begin with?

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Which one is very likely?
Xenoblade, even with the Rex confusion XC2 was a bonafide success that people want to see represented in Smash more, and even if no -Blade protags make it in KOS-MOS has a pretty darn good shot as well.

Sonic, man I can't help but be slightly bummed at the series still having one character. I never ever considered Shadow a lock (I don't believe in that except for Ken), but the roster feels incomplete to me now without a second Sonic character. I'm sure people are sick of Shadow fans being upset so I won't rant, but I do wish the Sonic series could get more love in Smash.

Frankly with most information out and the DLC a wild mystery beyond Verge and Hitagi, I've largely removed myself from speculation and just want the damn game to come out already.

Pakky

Smash Hero
The last fat quadruped grass starter that we had was in gen four, I believe.
Right forgot about gen 5.

I'd still say Decuideye is the best designed Grass starter.

Also in my heart the only thing that ties with :4charizard: is:ultincineroar: I love him to much now.

Also :ultgreninja: all day everyday.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not even bothering trying to predict who this SE character could be. Just feels like they're teasing us with characters they aren't even sure of themselves.

"It could be Geno."
"I've heard Sora."
"I'm seeing hints of Dragon Quest."
"Someone dropped Chrono's name."
"Can't say who we think it is because it will put people in jeopardy."

At this point, I don't even care anymore. If the SE character is real, let Nintendo reveal it as soon as possible so we can get it over with and stop with the stupid name games.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I dont know.
I'd assume they might wait and see how this DLC sells first...but of course its smash so i'm sure they are aware any amount of DLC will sell well.

Now this is purely speculation but:

I have considered the idea that since we were sort of told they werent sure if DLC would happen not that long ago (obviously just because they didn't want to answer that yet), and now its pretty clear they've been planning DLC all along they may very well ALREADY be planning a second wave of DLC fighters. obviously this would be a year away at the earliest but considering things being really "fuzzy" with which characters are being talked about behind the scenes, katalinas negotiations sounding fairly recent, banjos trade mark renewal in september, insiders hearing multiple square reps, bethesda mentioning they had talked to nintendo regarding smash etc... it is POSSIBLE that the confusion is because while the first 5 DLC fighters were chosen a while back, negotiated for a a second wave might have been happening more recently and thus its a bit confusing how many "deals" for characters are being made behind the scenes. Again I stress this is completely speculative and I'm personally not getting my hopes up beyond 5 DLC fighters but this thought has crossed my mind.
Not to be that guy, but do you really DOUBT that the smash pass is gonna sell like hot cakes? Nintendo knows smash is their biggest Money Printer going.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Xenoblade, even with the Rex confusion XC2 was a bonafide success that people want to see represented in Smash more, and even if no -Blade protags make it in KOS-MOS has a pretty darn good shot as well.

Sonic, man I can't help but be slightly bummed at the series still having one character. I never ever considered Shadow a lock (I don't believe in that except for Ken), but the roster feels incomplete to me now without a second Sonic character. I'm sure people are sick of Shadow fans being upset so I won't rant, but I do wish the Sonic series could get more love in Smash.

Frankly with most information out and the DLC a wild mystery beyond Verge and Hitagi, I've largely removed myself from speculation and just want the damn game to come out already.
Yeah, I think that a Sonic dlc rep is pretty much not happening at this point. And based on Sakurai's comments on the Rex Mii, I don't think it's looking good for any Xenoblade characters for this game. But why KOS-MOS? She's from Xenosaga, right? Why would she have a chance? Wasn't Xenosaga only on the PS2?

Pakky

Smash Hero
The last "fat" Grass Starter is arguably Meganium. If Meganium doesn't count, then Venusaur surely does.

...but why are we even talking about Grass Starters being "fat" to begin with?
Well the majority are tanks and well Mega Venasaur's ability is literally called 'Thick fat'

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I think that a Sonic dlc rep is pretty much not happening at this point. And based on Sakurai's comments on the Rex Mii, I don't think it's looking good for any Xenoblade characters for this game. But why KOS-MOS? She's from Xenosaga, right? Why would she have a chance? Wasn't Xenosaga only on the PS2?
KOS-MOS had a cameo in Xenoblade 2

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
It'll sell well, yes, but I think it'll only be those five characters for dlc and that's it. After the fifth dlc character is released, they may start planning and developing the next Smash game. They may want to get a head start on the next one if they want it to be better than this one, especially if they want to have more than eleven newcomers in the base game
I dunno about that two iterations of smash on the same console?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Not to be that guy, but do you really DOUBT that the smash pass is gonna sell like hot cakes? Nintendo knows smash is their biggest Money Printer going.
It'll sell well, yes, but I think it'll only be those five characters for dlc and that's it. After the fifth dlc character is released, they may start planning and developing the next Smash game. They may want to get a head start on the next one if they want it to be better than this one, especially if they want to have more than eleven newcomers in the base game

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
KOS-MOS is Namco's crossover baby and has eclipsed the popularity of her own series. She also had her appearance as a Rare Blade in Xenoblade 2 (not DLC, I might add) which shows that Bamco has no ill will towards Monolith Soft and is very willing to play ball.

If you want more info I highly suggest you visit the KOS-MOS thread which you can access from my signature.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I dunno about that two iterations of smash on the same console?
Not on this console, but on the next one, which may release around 2024 or so. There's no way they'd make a second smash game on this console. But if they start developing the next smash game for the next console on a prototype of the next console in 2020, that could give them four years or so to develop it, allowing them to include every character plus a bunch of new characters. I'm just saying the fact that dlc ends in 2020 tells me that they'll probably start on the next game for the next console shortly after dlc ends

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now, :ultmarth:vs:ultsimon:. Who wins?
This one's a bit tougher.

Let's assume their load outs are the same as Smash. Marth gets Falchion. Simon gets Vampire Killer, Holy Water, Cross, and Axe.

Holy Water presumably wouldn't work on Marth, as he's not among Dracula's undead legions.
A throwing axe, likely, wouldn't do well against Marth, due to general slowness and weapon triangle disadvantage. Plus Marth is nimble in general.

So it'd be between Marth+Falchion, and Simon+Cross and Vampire Killer.

Marth may rely on his allies and may not be too physically imposing, but the man's got some feats of his own. New Mystery implies he was the one to defeat General Camus of the Sable Order during the War of Shadows, and Camus was not only on horseback, but wielding the Gradivus, the strongest lance in all of Archanea. And Camus himself is among the strongest Fire Emblem characters canonically, due to his feats displayed in his chapter of Archanea Chronicles, wherein he singlehandedly took down at least 30-40 members of a trained army to defend Princess Nyna and allow for her to escape. This included one of the strongest Manaketes under Medeus' command,

And Marth took him down despite being at weapon triangle disadvantage. Then there's the fact that he made it through Anri's Way, which may as well have been hell on earth due to the harsh conditions. Marth is pretty durable.

Of course, Simon is no slouch, either. Not only did he singlehandedly take down swarms of Dracula's minions and his generals, but he also took down Dracula again while suffering from some kinda vampiric leprosy. The guy is a one man army...but he is also kind of specialized in the type of enemy he can take down.

Of note, both Simon and Marth took down their greatest enemy twice: Marth with Medeus, and Simon with Dracula. Both also have legendary ancestors AND descendants, and had their signature holy weapon (Falchion and Vampire Killer) passed down through their lineage.

Both are physically strong.
Marth is a skilled military commander and classically trained soldier.
Simon is a more rugged but specialized warrior.
Simon is a one-man army, but has only dealt with one kind of foe (the undead).
Marth often relies on his allies, but he has dealt with a wider array of enemy types, giving him more adaptability.

Simon has a range advantage, while Marth has a close quarters advantage. With that being said, Marth, canonically, has dealt with a far stronger ranged threat with Camus, so Simon's range advantage isn't too overwhelming.

In the end, it's incredibly close. The outcome depends solely on whether or not Falchion's blade can cut through Vampire Killer's chain. But seeing as that is sort of unknowable, I'll put this at a draw.

I very likely overthought this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom