• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nekoo Nekoo I'm guessing that if Sora is revealed for Ultimate you're going to be changing your avatar to his official render, aren't you?
Sora is my most wanted ever, so if he's revealed I'm going to bring that avatar back and spam a whole page on that thread.

But I'm going to do this with any Square-Enix Character now that I think about it. That's how much I love the games from that company

D

Deleted member

I did the ad w/ music
Here it is
I might do another one with the Littlest Pet Shop theme later

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I just thought of something.

Who gets the money from Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts?

Aren't they sort of tied up with Disney and Armor Project to the point that Disney and Armor Project would get the money and not Square?

I'm still a bit confused about their copyrights and the way they work, because I know from looking at merchandise of Kingdom Hearts that Disney seems to get major billing and sometimes Square isn't even listed at all.

So why would Square pick either of these if this particular scenario was the case? It'd be more in their favor to pick a character they own fully as it'd be more in their favor money wise, no? And they clearly love their money.

I'd wager money is part of the reason why Cloud didn't get any more content in base game. If Nintendo/Sakurai let them I'm sure they'd charge for a Tifa assist trophy. :rolleyes:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
The more I think about it the more I want Slime as a DQ rep

I feel like a no-limb character would be quite interesting

And I actually think the slimy boi has a bigger chance than any DQ protagonist

I mean when it comes to 3rd parties Sakurai seems to go off the most recognizable characters

And I sure as heck knew who slime was before I even realized DQ protagonists aren't Dr. Slump characters

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The first thing I knew about Dragon Quest was Slime. So I'd wager for something that is also pretty region specific in it's success itself that you might want to pick Slime or something that will be instantly recognizable to the other parts of the world that are slowly catching up to what makes Japan love the damn series so much.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Aren't they sort of tied up with Disney and Armor Project to the point that Disney and Armor Project would get the money and not Square?

I'm still a bit confused about their copyrights and the way they work, because I know from looking at merchandise of Kingdom Hearts that Disney seems to get major billing and sometimes Square isn't even listed at all.

So why would Square pick either of these if this particular scenario was the case? It'd be more in their favor to pick a character they own fully as it'd be more in their favor money wise, no? And they clearly love their money.

I'd wager money is part of the reason why Cloud didn't get any more content in base game. If Nintendo/Sakurai let them I'm sure they'd charge for a Tifa assist trophy. :rolleyes:
Tl;Dr? Square-Enix probably get a gooood % from the look of it and their yearly incomes. Kingdom Hearts was said multiple times to be one of their top way of incomes.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Disney get a share, but Square-Enix are the one to get most of it surprisingly.

As for DQ it's...a special case. Square-Enix get most of it too, but also share is with Armor Project who have an "exclusive deal" to make the games ONLY for square... So at this point, might as well be Square-Enix's money.

As of why Cloud didn't get any new content? Yeah...I feel it. Square being stingy as **** only giving Cloud/Geno Mii costume/Profile pick back without any new content in exchange of a character/stages and more Music as DLC.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Watch the SE newcomer just be Tifa. That'd be ****ing hilarious, although all I know about her is that she punches **** and threatens to rip a guy's balls off
That's... certainly interesting knowledge you've got there.

Yes, Tifa did in fact threaten to rip a guy's balls off, it was in the part of Final Fantasy VII where Cloud cross dresses.
Shortly after Cloud meets Aerith (by falling through the ceiling of the church Aerith frequents), Cloud spots a carriage taking Tifa to the mansion of Don Corneo, a local Mafia Boss in Sector 6 of Midgar. Worried, Cloud decides to go a rescue Tifa; though Tifa actually went of her own accord to get information out of Don Corneo on behalf of AVALANCHE (the Eco-terrorism group run by Barret, who Cloud and Tifa both work for). In order to get into the mansion themselves, Cloud and Aerith decide that Cloud has to disguise himself as a woman to get close to Don Corneo.

Aerith then takes Cloud around Wall Street (the main part of Sector 6), depending on how far you go, you can make Cloud so pretty Don Corneo picks him over Aerith and Tifa. [Fun fact, you can also find one of the many memey Engrish bits here, you'll find a delerious guy in a shack and Aerith will declare "This guy are sick..."]

The three then threaten Don Corneo will physical violence (of the testicular variety) until he tells them what Tifa wants to know.
Tifa doesn't just punch though, she also Kicks and Suplexs **** as well (also she owns a bar, so she can serve a mean drink too).

Also, her limit break involves a Slot Machine.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Square Enix: Yes, you may add Geno for your stupid little fanboys. But you will make his assist trophy Tifa, and half of his songs will be from Final Fantasy 7. If you want him and more Final Fantasy 7. This is the deal.

Sakurai: Ugh...

Square Enix: I'm altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't understand either.

So, Sakurai adds Piranha Plant and says there isn't anyone who doesn't know Piranha Plant (and I agree) and yet he still doesn't add Toad and Meowth. Toad is well-known, moreso than Piranha Plant... and Meowth has been showing up in the anime for over 1,000+ episodes for the past 20+ years in 85+ countries. It isn't like they are literally whos.
My thought with both Toad and Dixie Kong is that they could both serve as DLC given the likelihood that a new DKC (and potentially Captain Toad) are around the corner.

I don't think Meowth will ever make it, but I will first if he has a role in the gen 8 games.

Honestly, I'd be happy if Meowth and Rocket were honored as villains in the World of Light. That would be a huge step.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd actually die laughing if we did get a hodgepodge Square DLC package.

''Here comes Slime! With Agnes assist trophy! 3 songs from Final Fantasy, 3 songs from Braverly, 4 songs from Dragon Quest! And a stage from Super Mario RPG!"

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

For Square- I really only have three options;
1- Sora (for impact)
2- Erdrick/Slime (for recognition)
3- Lara Croft. (for honor).

I am sure to be disappointed if it is not one of these (I'll be happy for people getting Geno, but I still dont understand it. Logically I can only put him below the necessity that is Banjo Kazooie).

I wish Disney would do more with Kingdom Hearts. It would be an amazing experience to go through Disney World with a Keyblade and LARP. Or something to this effect.

I'm hoping Nintendo World does something similar, with a Parkour/Freerunning scene that plays out on the blocky Yoshi ride.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd actually die laughing if we did get a hodgepodge Square DLC package.

''Here comes Slime! With Agnes assist trophy! 3 songs from Final Fantasy, 3 songs from Braverly, 4 songs from Dragon Quest! And a stage from Super Mario RPG!"
They explicitly said each pack contains only five songs and one stage aside from one fighter.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's not going to be Lara Croft. The universe is not good enough to me to make it Lara Croft.
The universe is pretty kind to Me- and I mean, Tomb Raider is one of the highest selling franchises of all time (over 3 billion I believe)

Nintrendo

Smash Cadet
So, Hitagi- will close his thread and make another one soon, maybe even with another Leaker to answers question.

Somebody asked if he could explain the situation as of now about Smash DLC and he clarified with this.

Basically, there is a chance he knows a big part of DLC, as certain Characters are Highly Likely confirmed. And won't release said list until he and Vergeben are sure and confident they have it all.

Source

Also Apparently there a new Viewtiful Joe game in the work. Yes please be true he can be fake about Smash DLC but he better not play with my heart like that.
See like I’ve seen so man comments from hitagi but a lot of them contradict each other to the point where for example mentioning the square reps that are possible or mention how either tekken virtua fighter or arms have a rep than say it’s tekken and then say no other fighting game is being represented. I don’t know because of contradictions like this if hitagi is really credible minus the prior things they’ve said

D

Deleted member

I wish Disney would do more with Kingdom Hearts. It would be an amazing experience to go through Disney World with a Keyblade and LARP. Or something to this effect.
YES. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nintrendo

Smash Cadet
My thought with both Toad and Dixie Kong is that they could both serve as DLC given the likelihood that a new DKC (and potentially Captain Toad) are around the corner.

I don't think Meowth will ever make it, but I will first if he has a role in the gen 8 games.

Honestly, I'd be happy if Meowth and Rocket were honored as villains in the World of Light. That would be a huge step.
Captain toad would be great but chances are unlikely due to him being in the new sink city stage

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
See like I’ve seen so man comments from hitagi but a lot of them contradict each other to the point where for example mentioning the square reps that are possible or mention how either tekken virtua fighter or arms have a rep than say it’s tekken and then say no other fighting game is being represented. I don’t know because of contradictions like this if hitagi is really credible minus the prior things they’ve said
Literally nothing contradict what he said.
It's just people who take what he says out of context though-

D

Deleted member

Worst possible scenario for cuts next game:
:ultbayonetta::ultsnake: - cut to make the game more family-friendly
:ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultken::ultdarksamus::ultrichter: - cut because they're seen as "useless"
:ultdoc::ultluigi::ultmario: - cut because of an outcry that they are racist
:ultgreninja: - cut because he is declared as a hate symbol by the Anti-Defamation League

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The fact that more and more people are dismissing Geno is making me sad
That fact that everyone acted like he guaranteed during this entire speculation cycle made me sad.

I'm sorry his supporters are glum, but these are the repercussions of people spending six months telling themselves, "It's not a matter of if he'll get revealed, but rather when."

Considering you can Chrom while Mii Chrom and FS! Chrom best the crap out of you...
I hate making these fan rules because they always seem destined to be broken, but I feel like Chrom is an exception. Robin already had a Final Smash, and I guess Sakurai couldn't be bothered to change it.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I posted this on a different thread, but I'll post it here too. I love researching voice actors to see what other things they have been in, so I did some of my own research yesterday and here's what I've compiled together when it comes to all of the fighter voices heard in the English version of Ultimate.

I've split it up into four categories: Fighters who have completely new voice actors; fighters who have the same voice actor from a previous smash game, but has new audio recorded for Ultimate; fighters with completely reused voice clips; and new fighters audio. Some were a little tougher to distinguish due to a lack of footage, so some of these could very well be incorrect.

Also note that World of Light cutscene dialogue could completely dismantle this list. XD

Completely new voices:

:ultlink: - Kengo Takanashi; to obviously fit BoTW Link.
:ultsheik: - Unknown new voice actress, but it's definitely a new voice compared to Jun Mizusawa
:ultzelda: - Unknown new voice actress, thanks to the World of Light trailer, we know that she has an actual English-speaking voice.
:ultmarth: - Yuri Lowethal; Marth's English voice finally comes to Smash; Although I do like his take on Marth, I will forever favour Hikaru Midorikawa as the Hero King. Let's dance!
:ultroy: - Ray Chase; this is probably my favourite voice change out of all of them thus far. I've always really liked Jun fukuyama's voice for Roy, and Ray is just killing it with his spot on grunts and shouts; his normal voice is a little on the mature-sounding side, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
:ultike: - Greg Chun; I'm going to really miss Jason Adkin's dorky one-liners for Ike, but from what I've heard so far, Greg's Ike is still pretty dang good. (Even if there isn't much of a difference between his PoR and RD Ike. XD )
:ivysaur: - Justin Anselmi; Was surprised to see that Ivysaur got a new voice. He sounds pretty dang close to Craig Blair's Brawl Ivysaur.
:ultwolf: - Ja Green; I freaking love wolf's new voice--it fits him so well. Although I did also like Jay ward's Wolf from Brawl.
:ultmiifighters: - Since they were silent in 4, their voices in ultimate are obviously new. Voice actors are currently unknown, to my knowledge.
:ultduckhunt: - Although some audio clips of the Duck Hunt Dog are still from Smash 4, he now has brand new barking clips, so I'd consider it new enough.

Same voice actor from a previous smash game, but has new audio:

:ultkirby: -Makiko Ōmoto; From what I can hear, his normal attacks use Smash 4 audio, but Kirby obviously will have new audio due to new transformations.
:ultfox: -Mike West; He did a MUCH better job this time around. His ADR director for 4 must have been having a rough day or something. XD
:ultpichu: - Satomi Korogi; sounds to me like a mix of old Melee clips and either previously unused Melee clips, or brand new clips.
:ultfalco: - Mark Lund; I thought he was pretty good in Smash 4, so I'm happy he's back.
:ultyounglink: - Fujiko Takimoto; I feel like this situation is similar to Pichu. A mix of Melee clips along with either new audio, or unused audio from Melee.
:ultganondorf: - Takashi Nagasako; fittingly reprising his role from Melee. He sounds much deeper and more sinister this time around, but that could just be due to the actor himself aging. Love his Ganondorf. (Although I'll always have a sweet spot for cranky Grandpadorf.)
:ultpit:- Antony Del Rio; Has a lot of the same clips taken from 4, but has a couple new ones plus actual dialogue in World of Light.
:ultsnake: - David Hayer; Although all of his battle sounds come straight from Brawl, Hayter confirmed that he did new voice work for Snake in ultimate.
:ultpokemontrainer: - Michele Knotz; This one I'm kind of iffy on. I haven't seen much footage of PT's voice in action, but the one clip I did hear didn't sound like it came from Brawl. I also have no idea who voices female PT, so I guess she would fall under new voices. XD
:squirtle: - Michele Knotz; According to the wiki, it says that Knotz's clips used in Ultimate are not ripped from Brawl. This could totally be incorrect though.
:ultgreninja: - Billy Bob Thompson; after listening to his voice clips in Ultimate, and comparing them to 4 I actually think Thompson recorded new grunts for Ultimate. I'm still hearing some 4 clips mixed in though.

Completely recycled audio:

:ultmario: - Charles Martinet; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultdk: - Reused animal noises from Brawl/4
:ultsamus: - Reused sounds from Brawl/4
:ultyoshi: - Kazumi Totaka; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultpikachu: - Ikue Otani; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultluigi: - Charles Martinet; recycled from Brawl/4 (Although I think there may have been new audio for him in Simon's trailer, but I don't know for sure.)
:ultness: - Makiko Ōmoto; recycled from Smash 4
:ultfalcon: - Ryō Horikawa; recycled from Melee/Brawl/4
:ultjigglypuff: - Rachel Lillis; recycled from Melee/Brawl/4
:ultpeach: - Samantha Kelly; recycled from Brawl/4
:ultbowser: - Reused monster sounds from Brawl/4 (really wish they would use Kenny James in Smash, but Sakurai likes his weird creature voices. XD)
:ulticeclimbers: - Sanae Kobayashi; recycled from Melee/Brawl
:ultdoc: - Charles Martinet; recycled from Mario Brawl/4 clips
:ultlucina: - Laura Bailey; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultmewtwo: - Keiji Furjiwara; Recycled from Smash 4 (I was actually surprised to find out that Mewtwo's Melee voice is from a different voice actor.)
:ultgnw: - Recycled sounds from Brawl/4 (Not really a voice, but the beeps and boops. XD )
:ultmetaknight: - Eric Newsome; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultdarkpit: - Antony Del Rio As far as I can tell, recycled from Smash 4
:ultzss: - Alésia Glidewell; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultwario: - Charles Martinet; Recycled from Brawl/4
:charizard: - Shin'ichirō Miki; Recycled from Smash 4. Funny enough, Miki also voiced Charizard in Brawl, but did completely new clips for 4.
:ultdiddy: - Reused animal sounds from Brawl/4
:ultlucas: - Lani Minella; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultsonic: - Roger Craig Smith; Recycled from Smash 4/Sonic Generations, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. None of Roger's Sonic in Smash is original. XD
:ultkingdedede: - Masahiro Sakurai (This still trips me out. XD ); Recycled from Brawl/4. Although his laughing audio from K.Rool's trailer might be new? Maybe?
:ultolimar: - Hajime Wakai (Pikmin audio); recycled from Brawl/4
:ultlucario: - Sean Schemmel; recycled from Smash 4
:ultrob: - Reused Robot sounds from Brawl/4
:ulttoonlink: - Sachi Matsumoto; Recycled from Brawl/4
:ultvillager: - Ummm... I guess silence recycled from Smash 4
:ultmegaman: - Same with Villager. XD
:ultwiifittrainer: - Tania Emery (PAL); Recycled from Smash 4. This is the only voice for WFT that I could find, so I have no idea if the other regions/male voices for WFT are different.
:ultrosalina: - Kerri Kane; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultlittlemac: - Kosuke Toriumi; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultpalutena: - Brandy Kopp; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultpacman: - Sounds reused from Smash 4/Pac Man/different Namco Arcade games
:ultrobin: - David Vincent, Lauren Landa; Recycled from Smash 4
:ultshulk: - Adam Howden; Recycled from Smash 4, but he might have new audio in World of Light
:ultbowserjr: - Caety Sagoian, Lani Minella (Larry, Morton, Wendy, and Lemmy), Mike Vaughn (Iggy and Ludwig) and Dan Falcone (Roy); Recycled from Smash 4/ Mario Spin-off titles
:ultryu: - Kyle Hebert; Recycled from Smash 4 (Give him his orange alt. and boom, you've got adult Gohan. Close enough, eh? XD)
:ultcloud: - Takahiro Sakurai (Or as I like to call him, Kishibe Rohan); Recycled from Smash 4
:ultcorrin: - Cam Clarke, Marcella Lentz-Pope; Recycled from Smash 4 (I find it funny that both Cam Clarke and David Hayter are voicing in the same game once again, but Clarke isn't playing Liquid Snake.)
:ultbayonetta: - Hellena Taylor; Recycled from Smash 4

New Fighters

:ultinkling: - Yuki Tsujii; Recycled from Splatoon
:ultdaisy: - Deanna Mustard; Recycled from Mario spin-off titles
:ultridley: - New spooky monster sounds
:ultsimon: - Unknown new voice actor
:ultrichter: - David Vincent; Huh, this guy voices male Robin as well, and he's the narrator for the English dub of Jojo--as if Richter needed any more jojo vibes going for him. XD New audio
:ultchrom: - Matthew Mercer; (Oh wow, so apparently Jojo's narrator and Jotaro Kujo are best buddies in Fire Emblem. XD) New audio
:ultdarksamus: - Absolute silence
:ultkrool: - Chunky Crocodile sounds
:ultisabelle: - I think her normal voice is generated, but in the actual game, I think she pulls a Villager and stays silent.
:ultken: - Reuben Langdon; New audio
:ultincineroar: - Although I couldn't find his English voice actor, I do know that Japanese Incineroar is voiced by the late Unshō Ishizuka. I loved this man's work. Kizaru in One Piece, Mr. Satan in Dragonball and of course, old Joseph Joestar from Jojo. Man, Ultimate is just turning out to be one big Jojo reference, isn't it? Rest in peace.

So yeah, as seen above, over half the cast uses recycled voice clips. But honestly, I don't really mind it at all. Although some characters could certainly use a new recording (specifically the Mario characters) most of them are just fine the way they are, IMO, and the time and resources spent on re-doing all of these voices could be put towards other more important things.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That fact that everyone acted like he guaranteed during this entire speculation cycle made me sad.

I'm sorry his supporters are glum, but these are the repercussions of people spending six months telling themselves, "It's not a matter of if he'll get revealed, but rather when."

I hate making these fan rules because they always seem destined to be broken, but I feel like Chrom is an exception. Robin already had a Final Smash, and I guess Sakurai couldn't be bothered to change it.
I think it's less "he didn't bothered" but more "but it really suits him well".

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm starting to trust Hitagi even less.
She's given us 6 characters now.
Steve, Katalina, a Bamco rep, a Square Enix rep, a Western rep, and a sword wielder.
To me that sounds like she's getting names and not really doing enough background checking before talking about them, Vergeben seems to be the opposite where he only talks once he knows absolutely certain. One of these 6 characters has to be wrong unless we really are getting another DLC season or something.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

This was sadly the truth. And why I always called Geno a "Wolf/K.Rool ballot era" situation.
Everyone clamoring he's a shoe-in when in reality...not at all.

He have his chance for DLC good ones even. But I still didn't really liked how some of his fans acted during this speculation periods

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

he's already in
he's every newcomer

KMDP

Smash Legend
Square Enix: Yes, you may add Geno for your stupid little fanboys. But you will make his assist trophy Tifa, and half of his songs will be from Final Fantasy 7. If you want him and more Final Fantasy 7. This is the deal.

Sakurai: Ugh...

Square Enix: I'm altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.
Sakurai: This deal's getting worse all the time.
Square Enix: Furthermore, you must make Geno the worst character in the game, while making Cloud the best.
Sakurai: What!? I can't do that!
Square Enix: I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to trust Hitagi even less.
She's given us 6 characters now.
Steve, Katalina, a Bamco rep, a Square Enix rep, a Western rep, and a sword wielder.
To me that sounds like she's getting names and not really doing enough background checking before talking about them, Vergeben seems to be the opposite where he only talks once he knows absolutely certain. One of these 6 characters has to be wrong unless we really are getting another DLC season or something.
Did she say all those 6 separately or did she mean that one of those 5 is a sword wielder? Because Katalina uses a sword iirc

Not saying I trust Hitagi at all, just playing Devil's Advocate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom