• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Okay, maybe I misread, but doesn't ANYONE think the leakers should get SOME kind of punishment for wrecking all the hype and surprise?

That doesn't make it okay in my book.
Then we have different books, because I could care less if it leaks.

I'm two and a half years away from thirty. Maybe because I'm jaded and cynical, but sitting on my hands for months on end with nothing but radio silence until the next reveal........isn't fun.

You wanna tell me the roster day 1? Cool beans, Nintendo's already got my money anyway.

Polan

Smash Lord
You guys are ****ing crazy for defending leaks.

I honestly liked it better when we're totally in the dark and playing guessing games with no "inside sources" to crush our hopes. It was more fun that way.

Sure, maybe we shouldn't attack the leakers for doing what they did, but they definitely need to shut up.
what if nintendo are the one's ****ing up and leaking their own **** then? because you know that nintendo is probably gonna **** up and accidentally leave the dlc character's data in the game or something.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I honestly liked it better when we're totally in the dark and playing guessing games with no "inside sources" to crush our hopes. It was more fun that way.

Sure, maybe we shouldn't attack the leakers for doing what they did, but they definitely need to shut up.
lbyw0aq.gif

Woah boy. Calm down. That's like, your opinion man. We respect yours, and you should respect ours'.

Also, your hopes were going to be crushed anyways, so, in mine and many others' opinions, its better to rip off that band-aid now and know the information beforehand than get blindsided and heartbroken. It's why the Grinch "leak" was so nefarious, because people got their hopes up about a fake leak and became disappointed because of it.
This speculation cycle actually benefited from Vergeben, like it or not.

Because otherwise, what would we have had?

Box theory wars non-stop, which STILL happened
Blog Theory and why maths will guarantee a YUUUUUUUGE amount of newcomers
LOLMUSIC THEORY
Chairs................please, no more chairs

Maybe because I'm a cynical old ****, but I'd rather know all the new characters day 1 and avoid all this needless fighting over stupid ****.
Also this. I was here enough during speculation to know how annoying the same arguments were. Verge gave us some consistency, and leak speculation was always great to break up the monotony of speculation at times.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Every time I hear someone say "Sakurai didn't use the Ballot enough" or "Sakurai doesn't care about the fans because he included a fun joke character over Isaac and Geno", I want to punch them in the face.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
There's also the fact that Nintendo themselves more or less leaked the roster themselves via the box.

"Would Nintendo REALLY reveal the final roster count on a digital mockup of a box?"

You bet your ass they would.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There's also the fact that Nintendo themselves more or less leaked the roster themselves via the box.

"Would Nintendo REALLY reveal the final roster count on a digital mockup of a box?"

You bet your *** they would.
I will never get over this. God damn.

Nintendo can be so ****ing OUTRAGEOUSLY stupid sometimes.

Saddest part of the box imo was that Nintendo really didn't give a ****.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo: Professional Game Developers.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Also, your hopes were going to be crushed anyways, so, in mine and many others' opinions, its better to rip off that band-aid now and know the information beforehand than get blindsided and heartbroken. It's why the Grinch "leak" was so nefarious, because people got their hopes up about a fake leak and became disappointed because of it.

Also this. I was here enough during speculation to know how annoying the same arguments were. Verge gave us some consistency, and leak speculation was always great to break up the monotony of speculation at times.
Alright, I get it. Can we drop it already? I'm embarrassed enough and I already apologized.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
So first, we need to ask this question and find the answer to it: Why is it that Nintendo is in charge of selecting the DLC characters? (Instead of Sakurai)

I believe this is obviously because of Licensing. Companies will have their preference on which characters they would put in and Nintendo needs to facilitate or work with them on that. Another component to this, is that Nintendo has resources to make deals with companies that are not Japanese. Sakurai is limited by language - much like I would be - so this makes me think that Ubisoft and potentially Microsoft (or Bethesda) will get some content in the game.

With that in mind, Nintendo will also push their own agenda and try to increase sales for some franchises or upcoming releases (I believe this is part of the true reason Bayonetta was picked - after her announcement, the game skyrocketed in price online, was out instantly at GameStop and put that character out there).

I think we will get 3 Third Parties and Two Nintendo ones. One for an upcoming game and one for an existing game. I think you can also leverage existing IP crossover to promote existing games...

I would bet Namco will get another Rep. The other companies did (Sega, Capcom, and even Konami) seems this is why Heihachi was even considered. I am going to guess Nintendo will go with KOS-MOS here. She is a pretty popular Namco character and even works to promote one of Nintendo’s own franchises - Xenoblade.

I would also imagine SEnix falls into this as well. If Sakurai did pick the characters, I believe he would have picked Geno. Since Nintendo is working with Square I would imagine we are not getting Geno (...at least right now). We don’t understand how big DQ is over in Japan and they have been attempting to get that success here. (Japan also wouldn’t understand how big franchises like Halo have been over here - keep it relative to see other views) For those reasons - I believe that a DQ character will be in. The only “Iconic” and mascot for this series is...Slime. I don’t have any idea what form that will take place, but he could be paired with another character if not relying on his own moveset.

Ubisoft will get either Rayman or a Rabbid (leaning/hoping for Rayman) Think either choice would also have Costumes that could represent some of their other franchises (Rayman dressed as The Prince, Sam, and Assassin in Rayman Legends on Switch - Rabbids the same but w Mario ones) Regardless, I think both will appear in some capacity - especially given how close Ubisoft and Nintendo have been.

Pete Hines was asked in an interview if Nintendo has talked to them about Smash. He just said “yep” then the interview was over. I DO NOT see a Bethesda character being playable, but I do see a Mii Costume pack being made separately than the fighter pass. (Something like - DoomGuy as Gunner, ElderKin as Sword Fighter, Vault Boy as Brawler. Things like that etc)

Microsoft is hard for me to wrap my head around. Minecraft is selling very well on the switch and we do have crossplay with that console even Minecraft Wii U/Switch has some exclusive Nintendo content. However - I don’t understand the need for Nintendo to go work with Microsoft. Microsoft wants crossplay on everything...it’s why they jabbed at Sony. (Minecraft is also on Sony consoles, but it doesn’t mean we will get Kratos in Killer instinct) We don’t know even know if Nintendo are even making a N64 Classic at all, so we can’t really make the assumption that these “discussions” are happening to get Banjo on the N64 Classic - it’s basically making up something else in prefer to believe in something else made up. To assume all of it It is a very real possibility that Microsoft will be in direct competition with the switch in a year or so if their streaming portable becomes a reality. It could happen - I just don’t really understand the benefits of that relationship so far. Maybe Minecraft is powerful enough... if that is the case though, having that relationship we could get some pretty out there reps if they make a Wave 2 of Smash DLC.

I am not acknowledging Granblue. Despite Nintendo having a little ownership of the, I hope they are both smart and aware enough of their platform and fanbase (see Diablo Immortal) to make an appropriate decision.

So my questions to you all here:

Does the inclusion of Piranha Plant make the way for Slime? Do you think that choice was done to surprise us and set the stage for another iconic standard enemy newcomer?
(Otherwise, what DQ character is the “Face” of DQ, like cloud is for FF?)

Who do you think Nintendo will choose to put in as a fighter that will be from an upcoming game? (This happened with FE twice already...)

What existing Nintendo game could use a rep for a sales boost or to gain more awareness?
(Personal Guess is Dixie - they removed the dk returns stage. TF is on the switch now, can use a stage from there as a replacement)

Why would a Nintendo/Microsoft relationship make sense for Nintendo to do? Minecraft is already selling well on Switch - would Steve in Smash get people without a switch to buy one? I don’t know the numbers.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I admit I didn't think Nintendo was that silly. I was wrong.
I got Incienroar out of it though, so i'm not complaining.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord

I wish everything was kept a surprise, but this is the way the Internet is now. It's filled with people who crave attention and want to spoil things. If you want to stay in the dark, then stay off the Internet.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I’m refusing to buy Ultimate because Nintendo is changing the feather on Game and Watch. Ridiculous babies crying over a ****ing feather.
Its a small thing for a character I'm rarely going to even use, so I couldn't care less about it being changed..its not something even important to the character itself..
I mean, couldn't the same thing be said about Link?

And Ness?

And Villager?

And probably even Pokemon Trainer (Red) as well?

That didn't stop any of them from getting into Smash, so I don't see why the line should be drawn at the DQ Heroes.

Personally, I don't think silent protagonists are necessarily "boring" as long as they have cool designs and memorable stories associated with them (which I'd say is the case for most DQ heroes). That's why people still love characters like Crono after all these years. Being silent doesn't mean they can't be an interesting character. It's the adventures they embark on, and their actions during it, that make them compelling and memorable. I mean, the story of Abel (DQ5's hero) is something I don't think I'll ever forget. And the adventures of Breath of Fire 2's Ryu makes me remember him and his group very fondly.

I look at silent protagonists like this; "They don't become you, you become them". I believe this is why a lot of silent protagonists aren't customizable. They are characters in their own right, but we just get to walk in their shoes for a while.

...You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I bothered writing all of this.
I guess? But when it comes to Dragon Quest, I just can't feel that the main player characters are the most popular characters, most people will choose the secondary characters as their favorites, which may be part of why the Player Characters are never used in Crossover titles like the three Fortune Street games featuring Dragon Quest (2 with Final Fantasy, 1 with Mario) and the 2 Dragon Quest Heroes games.

I'd also rather have a secondary character because they'd offer something more unique then another sword wielder. Now I don't mind sword wielders, but its hard to argue against a more unique weapon type over yet another sword.

That said, I'd be fine with Dragon Quest III or IV's protagonist if only because both have female player options that could be used akin to Robin and Corrin.

NineS

Smash Lord
I got her to take this for evidence that I'm a chad so
Hey! Congrats!
When am I getting my wedding Invitation?
Are you leaving us so soon? They grow up so fast!

By the way, nice Photography skills.
Let me use my photoshop skills to sprucen it up a little...
small.png

So, what'd you think?
i'm sorry am i taking this joke too far?
2B for smash

EDIT: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I know of a way to make Master Hand playable.
Just make the index finger, and middle finger stand on like two legs.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So first, we need to ask this question and find the answer to it: Why is it that Nintendo is in charge of selecting the DLC characters? (Instead of Sakurai)

I believe this is obviously because of Licensing. Companies will have their preference on which characters they would put in and Nintendo needs to facilitate or work with them on that. Another component to this, is that Nintendo has resources to make deals with companies that are not Japanese. Sakurai is limited by language - much like I would be - so this makes me think that Ubisoft and potentially Microsoft (or Bethesda) will get some content in the game.

With that in mind, Nintendo will also push their own agenda and try to increase sales for some franchises or upcoming releases (I believe this is part of the true reason Bayonetta was picked - after her announcement, the game skyrocketed in price online, was out instantly at GameStop and put that character out there).

I think we will get 3 Third Parties and Two Nintendo ones. One for an upcoming game and one for an existing game. I think you can also leverage existing IP crossover to promote existing games...

I would bet Namco will get another Rep. The other companies did (Sega, Capcom, and even Konami) seems this is why Heihachi was even considered. I am going to guess Nintendo will go with KOS-MOS here. She is a pretty popular Namco character and even works to promote one of Nintendo’s own franchises - Xenoblade.

I would also imagine SEnix falls into this as well. If Sakurai did pick the characters, I believe he would have picked Geno. Since Nintendo is working with Square I would imagine we are not getting Geno (...at least right now). We don’t understand how big DQ is over in Japan and they have been attempting to get that success here. (Japan also wouldn’t understand how big franchises like Halo have been over here - keep it relative to see other views) For those reasons - I believe that a DQ character will be in. The only “Iconic” and mascot for this series is...Slime. I don’t have any idea what form that will take place, but he could be paired with another character if not relying on his own moveset.

Ubisoft will get either Rayman or a Rabbid (leaning/hoping for Rayman) Think either choice would also have Costumes that could represent some of their other franchises (Rayman dressed as The Prince, Sam, and Assassin in Rayman Legends on Switch - Rabbids the same but w Mario ones) Regardless, I think both will appear in some capacity - especially given how close Ubisoft and Nintendo have been.

Pete Hines was asked in an interview if Nintendo has talked to them about Smash. He just said “yep” then the interview was over. I DO NOT see a Bethesda character being playable, but I do see a Mii Costume pack being made separately than the fighter pass. (Something like - DoomGuy as Gunner, ElderKin as Sword Fighter, Vault Boy as Brawler. Things like that etc)

Microsoft is hard for me to wrap my head around. Minecraft is selling very well on the switch and we do have crossplay with that console even Minecraft Wii U/Switch has some exclusive Nintendo content. However - I don’t understand the need for Nintendo to go work with Microsoft. Microsoft wants crossplay on everything...it’s why they jabbed at Sony. (Minecraft is also on Sony consoles, but it doesn’t mean we will get Kratos in Killer instinct) We don’t know even know if Nintendo are even making a N64 Classic at all, so we can’t really make the assumption that these “discussions” are happening to get Banjo on the N64 Classic - it’s basically making up something else in prefer to believe in something else made up. To assume all of it It is a very real possibility that Microsoft will be in direct competition with the switch in a year or so if their streaming portable becomes a reality. It could happen - I just don’t really understand the benefits of that relationship so far. Maybe Minecraft is powerful enough... if that is the case though, having that relationship we could get some pretty out there reps if they make a Wave 2 of Smash DLC.

I am not acknowledging Granblue. Despite Nintendo having a little ownership of the, I hope they are both smart and aware enough of their platform and fanbase (see Diablo Immortal) to make an appropriate decision.

So my questions to you all here:

Does the inclusion of Piranha Plant make the way for Slime? Do you think that choice was done to surprise us and set the stage for another iconic standard enemy newcomer?
(Otherwise, what DQ character is the “Face” of DQ, like cloud is for FF?)

Who do you think Nintendo will choose to put in as a fighter that will be from an upcoming game? (This happened with FE twice already...)

What existing Nintendo game could use a rep for a sales boost or to gain more awareness?
(Personal Guess is Dixie - they removed the dk returns stage. TF is on the switch now, can use a stage from there as a replacement)

Why would a Nintendo/Microsoft relationship make sense for Nintendo to do? Minecraft is already selling well on Switch - would Steve in Smash get people without a switch to buy one? I don’t know the numbers.
Why can you see Bethesda getting a whole Mii pack but...not a character?

Piranha Plant seems to still be a Sakurai pick as evidenced by him NOT being a part of the Pass.

Nintendo will not promote one of their upcoming IP's.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I got her to take this for evidence that I'm a chad so
**** I'm gonna have to do this when I get a date won't I?

You've established a dangerous precedent. How a potential significant other would react to my Smashboards account is now a make or break issue. That entails them knowing about my Smashboards, which leads to my Reddit.

This is a dangerous rabbit hole that I'm not brave enough to go down as fast as you did. Respect to you man.
Alright, I'm sorry I even brought it up. All the leak talk got me emotional and I overreacted.
It's all good. You can have the opinion of disliking leakers. That's fine. But when you call for attacks on them and call us names for disagreeing with you that's not okay.

Take a deep breath before hitting the post button next time.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master

You guys gotta understand Nintendo is only good at one thing: making games. That is it. They can't supply or properly stock products, they can't make a decent online, they think friend codes are cool, and they couldn't care less about trends in the gaming industry. Not a knock on them but the fact is the only thing this company can do is make good games. They suck at everything else. Including marketing.

D

Deleted member

You guys gotta understand Nintendo is only good at one thing: making games. That is it. They can't supply or properly stock products, they can't make a decent online, they think friend codes are cool, and they couldn't care less about trends in the gaming industry. Not a knock on them but the fact is the only thing this company can do is make good games. They suck at everything else. Including marketing.
Nintendo should just go 3rd party. Dead honest.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They've been getting better this generation but their mis-steps still make me grimace

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
It's all good. You can have the opinion of disliking leakers. That's fine. But when you call for attacks on them and call us names for disagreeing with you that's not okay.

Take a deep breath before hitting the post button next time.
Okay. I just have a bad habit of venting my emotions where I shouldn't, but I'll try to keep it under control here.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Hey! Congrats!
When am I getting my wedding Invitation?
Are you leaving us so soon? They grow up so fast!

By the way, nice Photography skills.
Let me use my photoshop skills to sprucen it up a little...

So, what'd you think?
i'm sorry am i taking this joke too far?
2B for smash
she is so much better now

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

You know the funniest part...
They wouldn't have had the problem if they just rotated it 45 degrees.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I saw some art that was quite rare within the internet, it was a Femboy anthro Piranha plant.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

It really is sad.

The simplest answer was always "Yes, they would. In fact, they did it before." But everyone held Smash on this invisible pedestal where it 'obviously' couldn't have any blunders like that.

I think we all know how that ended up.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It really is sad.

The simplest answer was always "Yes, they would. In fact, they did it before." But everyone held Smash on this invisible pedestal where it 'obviously' couldn't have any blunders like that.

I think we all know how that ended up.
And I am absolutely at fault for that.

Nice lesson for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom