• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
like i said, you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment when you talk about stuff like bethesda characters and sora

you need to lower your expectations so you don't get burned again
I feel like "unreasonably high expectations" would be more like Banjo/Geno type stuff. Let's be real here, a Bethesda character would be hype but it would also be kind of a meme, it would be cool if it happened but not any bigger than Cloud or Steve really.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
We're not getting anything Hitagi says. I'm 100 percent on it.

He/she's an attention seeker IMO. Nothing more.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I feel like "unreasonably high expectations" would be more like Banjo/Geno type stuff. Let's be real here, a Bethesda character would be hype but it would also be kind of a meme, it would be cool if it happened but not any bigger than Cloud or Steve really.
You mean not bigger than the biggest third party reveal to date and what will be the second biggest third party reveal to date?
I mean. Yeah. It'll be up there lol

D

Deleted member

sorry i forgot doom

also how am i being hypocritical, im just saying that there's not really enough between the two companies to warrant them ever getting into smash bros. most of the crossover companies in smash have at least some history related to nintendo, bethesda is a total newcomer with three nintendo games under their belts

they don't have a chance of getting in
I suppose Yacht Club Games would also a newcomer without much on their belt on the realm of Nintendo, especially when it comes to having any outside overseas audience.

Come Smash Ultimate, Shovel Knight is now an Assist Trophy.

I don't think there are any "newcomers" that wouldn't fit in, and Bethesda reps hold a hell of a lot of weight.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I suppose Yacht Club Games would also a newcomer without much on their belt on the realm of Nintendo, especially when it comes to having any outside overseas audience.

Come Smash Ultimate, Shovel Knight is now an Assist Trophy.

I don't think there are any "newcomers" that wouldn't fit in, and Bethesda reps hold a hell of a lot of weight.
Exactly. Bethesda has a LOT, of value. Nintendo recognizes this that's why Bethesda's already got 5 ****ing games on the Switch.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
like i said, you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment when you talk about stuff like bethesda characters and sora

and also i would personally hate skyrim man getting into smash. maybe even worse than steve because at least minecraft is a good game
Thats a very bleak outlook of the world. Just because people really want characters in does not mean they are going to lose it if that character does not get in. I personally really believe Sora will be the second Square rep, but I wouldn't be "burned" if he isn't.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Just curious would you prefer Heihachi or Jin? It would most likely be Heihachi as the Tekken rep. However given that they are pushing Jin to be the new face of Tekken now that Heihachi story wise is dead. And his VA died, it may be possible even if slightly that we could get Jin.
Is this question open to all of us?

I don't...like...Heihachi, tbh, so Jin. Or Kazuya. Or King (my fave). Or Nina. Basically, anyone that's not Heihaci. And Kazuya and Jin have been main characters/focal characters in the series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
TJust because people really want characters in does not mean they are going to lose it if that character does not get in.
Eeeeeeeh... This is Smash fandom, some people will definitely act like that and then turn newcomers scapegoats for their disappointment but it doesn't mean we can't be reasonably hopeful.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Is this question open to all of us?

I don't...like...Heihachi, tbh, so Jin. Or Kazuya. Or King (my fave). Or Nina. Basically, anyone that's not Heihaci. And Kazuya and Jin have been main characters/focal characters in the series.
Sure it can be a question to all :). King would be interesting as he would be another wrestler. I agree I think its time for someone else from Tekken to have the spotlight Jin or Kazuya would be a nice change.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The reason there's been no western third parties in Smash as of yet imo is because there are very few with the caliber Smash seems to have a standard of.

Microsoft and Bethesda really match that caliber if you ask me.

And with how both companies have really, really strengthened their friendship with Nintendo, they are something to consider. Not to expect. But consider.

Shroob

Sup?
My only regret is it doesn't seem like the DLC6 are going to be added to the banner.

I can only hope that they get added as they actually release to the public.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
on heihacho, i don't want heihachi because he was already in playstation allstars and had a really good set there. i could see sakurai not wanting to crip anything from that

personally i'd go for either of the other two main characters just to mix it up, even if they are infinitely more boring than old grandpa

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My only regret is it doesn't seem like the DLC6 are going to be added to the banner.

I can only hope they they get added as they actually release to the public.
Why do you say as such? They simply haven't been released yet. It'd be misleading to add them as the banner as of now is for the base game.
I think Sakurai wants to have a difference between the base banner and the DLC banner.

The banner we have now is the ENTIRE BASE ROSTER. If PP was on there we'd have to say THE ENTIRE BASE ROSTER....and the first DLC.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Just because this discussion is getting a little heated in regards to Bethesda and Skyrim. I thought I'd show this video in case anyone here hasn't seen it. Its pretty funny in my opinion.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

and also i would personally hate skyrim man getting into smash. maybe even worse than steve because at least minecraft is a good game
But we're just talking about them, not saying they're definite or anything.

It's not really worth arguing with you though, because you don't listen to anything and continue to be cynical and mean.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The reason there's been no western third parties in Smash as of yet imo is because there are very few with the caliber Smash seems to have a standard of.

And with how both companies have really, really strengthened their friendship with Nintendo, they are something to consider. Not to expect. But consider.
A more mundane reason would be Sakurai apparently wanting to talk face-to-face with creators. I can see that being a problem if there is language and distance limits but I doubt it would prevent them from getting in completely.

Shroob

Sup?
Why do you say as such? They simply haven't been released yet. It'd be misleading to add them as the banner as of now is for the base game.
I think Sakurai wants to have a difference between the base banner and the DLC banner.

The banner we have now is the ENTIRE BASE ROSTER. If PP was on there we'd have to say THE ENTIRE BASE ROSTER....and the first DLC.
That's what I said. That I hope that they get added as they get released.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
A more mundane reason would be Sakurai apparently wanting to talk face-to-face with creators. I can see that being a problem if there is language and distance limits but I doubt it would prevent them from getting in completely.
The man has translators ahah
If Sakurai or Nintendo wanted a character in that would NEVER stop them

osby

Smash Obsessed
on heihacho, i don't want heihachi because he was already in playstation allstars and had a really good set there. i could see sakurai not wanting to crip anything from that

personally i'd go for either of the other two main characters just to mix it up, even if they are infinitely more boring than old grandpa
He crips characters from their own games all the time. Plus, it's not like he can't make one up by himself if he puts his best efforts into it. The question is, would he?

D

Deleted member

Something I want to note is that Bethesda HAS made dents in the Japanese market and some of their games are definitely known there. The most successful I think has to be The Evil Within, THAT got popular, for sure.

Hell, even Japan knew what Halo was back in the 360 days, if we wanna talk Microsoft. Mainly Halo 3 and ODST, but hey, you can't really knock 'em down, those games were fantastic.

Trust me, western games ARE known in Japan. You just have to find and dig through to see it. Try going on niconico, it'll give a broad, but pretty good view of what they think of these games.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Skyrim Etch-a-Sketch has the best specs of them all. #Etch-a-SketchMasterRace
I personally can't wait for Skyrim to come to my Samsung refrigerator haha. Fun fact there is an actual mode for Alexa to have Skyrim quotes in.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Something I want to note is that Bethesda HAS made dents in the Japanese market and some of their games are definitely known there. The most successful I think has to be The Evil Within, THAT got popular, for sure.

Hell, even Japan knew what Halo was back in the 360 days, if we wanna talk Microsoft. Mainly Halo 3 and ODST, but hey, you can't really knock 'em down, those games were fantastic.

Trust me, western games ARE known in Japan. You just have to find and dig through to see it. They going on niconico, it'll give a broad, but pretty good view of what they think of these games.
No matter what people think imo Skyrim is objectively one of the games that defined the decade. I think Japan knows that too.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I thought Sakurai once said he considered Heihachi for Smash 4 but couldn't come up with a moveset. Is that true? Or is it one of those popular "Pit was planned for Smash 64 but his WINGS didn't work bs" types of rumors?

Bionichute

Smash Champion
im real tired of generic avatar characters getting into smash after smash 4. at least inklings have any excuse, i couldn't handle the blandest white guy in gaming getting in instead of an actual character like doom guy

and yeah doom guy is an actual character since the last game

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I thought Sakurai once said he considered Heihachi for Smash 4 but couldn't come up with a moveset. Is that true? Or is it one of those popular "Pit was planned for Smash 64 but his WINGS didn't work bs" types of rumors?
Its true he considered Heihachi as a fighter, but went with Pacman. This is because he said Heihachi's moves were too hard to put into Smash. Which is really odd considering Heihachi had already been in PlayStation All Stars and StreetFighterXTekken. Playstation All Stars playing similar to Smash and StreetfighterxTekken being a 2d game. Perhaps he said this because Pacman was just an easier fighter to make.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Sakurai has acknowledged John Carmack (who made DOOM), as the father of the FPS genre in the Sakurai x Normura interview (Part 2). In the very same interview he acknowledges Castlevania, which would be included in Smash Ultimate. While Sakurai also mentioned many other game designers, it's important that Sakurai says this:
Internationally, you have John Carmack, the father of FPS’s, as well
Internationally. Seems to fit in with this other popular Sakurai statement from the Sm4sh DLC (read: Pre-Ultimate) era in regards to third parties.
Aside from the major globally-recognized franchises already featured in Smash, there really aren’t that many left.
DOOM could certainly be one of the few "major globally-recognized franchises" left at this point. I would even say it's likely this is the case. Given Nintendo and Bethesda's great relationship recently, and the fact that Bethesda has spoken with Nintendo about Smash leads me to believe that it's likely that DOOM Guy was on Nintendo's list and Sakurai chose him as a hype third party pick.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not exactly. That's a bit misleading. The moves are there, but transferring Tekken's mechanics faithfully to Smash is the issue. An issue that he might not be able to overcome even to this day. Making mechanics work from 3D to 2D can be difficult, especially depending the context of how the mechanics work.

That said, Piranha Plant isn't proof he can make any moveset work. It just means he can come up with unique ideas for all kinds of characters, even ones that aren't defined as others. This doesn't help at all with making sure Heihachi plays faithfully. That's far more difficult than people realize. It's also why I'm doubtful of a SC character. The 3D mechanics are very important due to the fact you can move enemies to another plane as part of many many moves. Nightmare, included.

osby

Smash Obsessed
im real tired of generic avatar characters getting into smash after smash 4. at least inklings have any excuse, i couldn't handle the blandest white guy in gaming getting in instead of an actual character like doom guy

and yeah doom guy is an actual character since the last game
We have silent protagonists since the first game. Only thing Smash For changed was adding characters with customization in their looks.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sakurai has acknowledged John Carmack (who made DOOM), as the father of the FPS genre in the Sakurai x Normura interview (Part 2). In the very same interview he acknowledges Castlevania, which would be included in Smash Ultimate. While Sakurai also mentioned many other game designers, it's important that Sakurai says this:

Internationally. Seems to fit in with this other popular Sakurai statement from the Sm4sh DLC (read: Pre-Ultimate) era in regards to third parties.

DOOM could certainly be one of the few "major globally-recognized franchises" left at this point. I would even say it's likely this is the case. Given Nintendo and Bethesda's great relationship recently, and the fact that Bethesda has spoken with Nintendo about Smash leads me to believe that it's likely that DOOM Guy was on Nintendo's list and Sakurai chose him as a hype third party pick.
I would think Dragonborn would fit this too. Though I'm biased.

It is of course Doomslayer or the Dragonborn. And Skyrim is also globally-rcognized; perhaps TES isn't, but Skyrim is honestly what people are gonna think of when they think of TES in the modern day. It's like the FF7 of TES, hopefully that doesn't sound immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom