• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
I mean, no character is truely 100% safe, but some character have a more likely hood of being safe than others. Imagine if they cut a member of the original 12. You can see the backlash. They would never do that. Some characters have a track record, and when you build it up, it is more likely that the character will get in.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Someone brings up Pyra.

>Pyra can't get in unless she's censored.

>Don't censor Pyra.

>Can we stop talking about Pyra?

>Start talking about something else.

>Someone brings up Pyra.

Lovely cycle we have this season.
The best part is that you know it'll only get worse if/when Pyra gets into Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Fantastic. We're talking about Pyra's outfit again.

Y'know, I still don't understand why the Pyra thing is such a big deal to everyone. There's literally dozens of different things we could talk about with Pyra, but for some strange reason, we always end up back to the outfit.

Honestly, does it really matter that much if she gets censored or not?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

Y'know, I still don't understand why the Pyra thing is such a big deal to everyone. There's dozens of different things we could talk about with Pyra, but for some strange reason, we always end up back to the outfit. Does it really matter that much if she gets censored or not?
I just don't get why she would cuz well again :4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:

The best part is that you know it'll only get worse if/when Pyra gets into Smash.
:4zss: heels

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nah if Pyra gets in there will be enough people defending whatever state she’s in to smother much dissent. That’s how that goes.

Past the initial reveal, at least.

If opinions before inclusion were the same as opinions after inclusion, this would be a very different place. Over half of the third parties would be quite contentious, for instance.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Someone brings up Pyra.

>Pyra can't get in unless she's censored.

>Don't censor Pyra.

>Can we stop talking about Pyra?

>Start talking about something else.

>Someone brings up Pyra.

Lovely cycle we have this season.
What makes this just more ironic over time is Smash Bros-fandom has ton of popular fanartists known for making more "fanservicey" takes on every playable Smash-female out there, making it quite moot point to discuss the censoring content about Pyra in this crazy age of ever-socializing and highly sharing internet.

Also, we had :4palutena: being all sprinkled with these "glorious" shots from her trailer:

And as far as I know, everyone towards that were just:

This was all embraced for lovely 1 and half years before :4bayonetta: along - and while she was rather divisive due her self-aware risque origins, majority of Smash-fans didn't mind her appearance in the game if you didn't include the competitive side.

Compared to all of that, Pyra's very trifling issue in comparison to be grown to such an elephant of a discussion everytime she's brought up. We've long gone past the more fanservice that come from characters' personalities that accomodates it, which are much harder to deal with than someone just happening to be designed by a freelance popcorn anime artist.

So I plead, can't we already give these arguments a rest - since they can't go any further spyralling out of control? There's not much we can affect the outcome anyway regarding how Pyra's perceived.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Come on Mashedpotato Soccerguy, give us some news. A screenshot, a teaser, literally anything. i don't want to talk about Pyra's boobs for two months.
>Sakurai posts a screenshot of the game

>Graphics look pretty much the same as Wii U version

>"See, guys? I told you all along that it was a port!"

>Port vs. new game debate gets an intense new fire under its belly

T-Hell

Smash Lord
This has just become an annoying loop of the same topics over and over again. It's boring at this point. When Pyra's goddamn outfit is over then we'll go back to Arms or FE or something.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
To promote whatever new is happening in the main series.

Gen 1 guys always seem safe but anyone but Pikachu could get cut for new stuff really being unique doesn't really matter.
Mewtwo and Charizard are two of the most popular Pokemon out there. Lucario and Greninja are reaching that point as well. Jigglypuff is easy to make and has a bit of a following, plus popularity from the anime. I don't think any of them are going anywhere.

Sakurai would have some explaining to do if he hypocritically gave Pyra a breast reduction after claiming that shrinking Ridley would no longer make him Ridley. What about Pyra's character, Sakurai? I do not want to pull the sexism card, but...
Also don't forget "the jiggles" in XC2 . That has to be gone if Pyra is in Smash....
This is the absolute state of Smash Bros. speculation. Boob talk.

Can we talk about Daisy or Ridley again? I mean, I'd rather beat a dead horse than discuss the logistics of jiggle physics in a game where we beat up children and animals with laser swords and baseball bats.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What makes this just more ironic over time is Smash Bros-fandom has ton of popular fanartists known for making more "fanservicey" takes on every plauable Smash-female out there.
Well you don't need to tell me about my own line of business.

Is it bad that my main interest in seeing Rex/Pyra get in is because of the people who whine about their designs?

If people think Pyra is bad, then boy do they need to crawl out of their shelter and look five feet in any direction online.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
Here is a nice discussion topic.

What music remixes do you want in the next Smash?

A lot of games have new music potential...

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I honestly do not see the problem?

We got Zero Suit Samus, Shulk and Bayonetta.

Also, people are clammering for Lara Croft, who would be even worse. (Clothing.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This has just become an annoying loop of the same topics over and over again. It's boring at this point. When Pyra's goddamn outfit is over then we'll go back to Arms or FE or something.
****ing welcome to the show.

Is it bad that my main interest in seeing Rex/Pyra get in is because of the people who whine about their designs?

If people think Pyra is bad, then boy do they need to crawl out of their shelter and look five feet in any direction online.
What glorious standards.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
:4zss: heels

Remember that?

Well shoot got a spam warning, didn't even mean it like that.
I handed that out before you edited it with text. You did only have the emote which is why I gave you a warning but I took it off since you edited your post .

Gimme literally ANY song from Mario Strikers Charged and I'll be cool. That soundtrack is ****in boppin.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What glorious standards.
Xenoblade 2 was an average game and Rex/Pyra were mediocre characters, so it's not like I'm clamoring to have them.
Though Rex/Pyra would be infinitely better than a character from the redheaded step child of the Xenoblade trio of games.
I don't need anyone but Shulk from Xenoblade, anyway.

I'd at least get some amusement from the outcries of the people who vehemently deny them because of the way they look.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'd at least get some amusement from the outcries of the people who vehemently deny them because of the way they look.
Which why I want Steve well partly why.

I handed that out before you edited it with text. You did only have the emote which is why I gave you a warning but I took it off since you edited your post .
Thanks bro :)

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I'd like a Breath of the Wild Champions Medley/Remix thing that incorporated all the champions themes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Xenoblade 2 was an average game and Rex/Pyra were mediocre characters, so it's not like I'm clamoring to have them.
Though Rex/Pyra would be infinitely better than a character from the redheaded step child of the Xenoblade trio of games.

You know, that actually brings up a good question. How many people here would be sincerely disappointed by an absence of Rex and/or Pyra?

Personally, I wouldn't care that much, but that's mainly because I've never played a Xenoblade game before. Hard to get upset over a character you have no connection with.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
You know, that actually brings up a good question. How many people here would be sincerely disappointed by an absence of Rex and/or Pyra?

Personally, I wouldn't care that much, but that's mainly because I've never played a Xenoblade game before. Hard to get upset over a character you have no connection with.
Ditto, since I have never cared for Xenoblade at all. I would be a bit sad for their fans, though.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Does Xenoblade even have villains?

That aren't killer robots

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I'd be a bit hurt, since they're in my top 5 most wanted, but I'd get over it.

Does Xenoblade even have villains?

That aren't killer robots
There are a few, but 90% of them are spoilers.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Which why I want Steve well partly why.
You monster. /s But not really.

I can entirely see them happening with how well Xenoblade 2 did compared to the original. Really depends on if Sakurai talked with Monolith about it during the development of the game, otherwise their best bet is DLC.

I'm not really inclined to want them one way or another though, I'm not of the mind that series "deserve" more "reps" so if they don't get in, whatever, if they do get in, neat. Nothing to gain or lose for me, personally.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

From my perspective, I'm not denying the chances of Rex & Pyra, all things considered I think they're fairly likely, and I'm not suggesting Pyra need be censored, my dislike just stems from what I believe to be thoroughly poor character designs. And one facet of that may be Pyra's kind of lazy sexualization, because imo it just feels kind of cheap and garish, not that a sexualized character outright shouldn't exist. But again, that's only one facet.

I'm not hanging my nonexistent hat on a desire to see the character censored due to moral outrage or concern for the rating, I just think it would make for a slightly better design. And even then I'd still take issue with the aesthetic, because I think it goes past the sexualized elements. I think Rex also has a lacking design and I'd be open to that getting amended as well, though obviously sexuality is not his concern.

And this is just my take, everyone will have their own.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I got a question for you guys.
If you could choose between getting a really nice recolor that's a homage to a character from that character's home series, and a full-on alternate costume based on said character, which would you choose?

Pakky

Smash Hero
If you could choose between getting a really nice recolor that's a homage to a character from that character's home series, and a full-on alternate costume based on said character, which would you choose?
alternate costume, please!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Getting an announcement of Smash in general got me thinking that Rex & Pyra would be a better choice, each day closer to E3/ANY Information at all, and I get more and more convinced thinking how Sakurai and his team would make them unique. I was unsure about Shulk, but got around to like the character, I think the "driver" thing sounds exciting!

Still... I feel like Xenoblade 2 is in the same relms as ARMS. It depends if they were asked pre-hand of deciding the roster, or else, I could see a Xenoblade X character, but honestly, I want the driver technique in Smash.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
From my perspective, I'm not denying the chances of Rex & Pyra, all things considered I think they're fairly likely, and I'm not suggesting Pyra need be censored, my dislike just stems from what I believe to be thoroughly poor character designs. And one facet of that may be Pyra's kind of lazy sexualization, because imo it just feels kind of cheap and garish, not that a sexualized character outright shouldn't exist. But again, that's only one facet.

I'm not hanging my nonexistent hat on a desire to see the character censored due to moral outrage or concern for the rating, I just think it would make for a slightly better design. And even then I'd still take issue with the aesthetic, because I think it goes past the sexualized elements. I think Rex also has a lacking design and I'd be open to that getting amended as well, though obviously sexuality is not his concern.

And this is just my take, everyone will have their own.
As a character designer myself, I don't think they're really that bad to be honest. Rex is the bigger offender of the two imo, but mostly because other than the bizarre outfit, his design screams "background character" far more than "main protagonist." I also get that sexualization isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Pyra's design is actually very tame if anything. They also really needed more of a breakup in the colour department, together they have the usual combo of red and blue, but as standalone characters, it's more apparently garish. I could sit here all day really and analyze the character designs, but I suppose we're just falling into the same spiel. Besides the fact that the average complaint is more "omg bewbz" than any legitimate design criticism.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

Not really. I want some music from X2, but that can come without them, so I'd be perfectly fine with their absence.

I'm assuming you're not talking about a full on character swap (ala Bowser Jr./Alph), but rather more like Wario, where it changes nothing about the character name, etc, but is just a full on new model. I'd love some of those.

Some I think would be cool:
• Odyssey has lots of Mario options to pick from
• BotW / Classic Link seems likely at this point
• Detective Pikachu :p
• Give Samus some of her other suits (even Dark Samus) as actual model changes
• Galacta Knight / Mirror Meta Knight
• Ridley/Meta-Ridley if he becomes a thing

Pakky

Smash Hero
As a character designer myself, I don't think they're really that bad to be honest. Rex is the bigger offender of the two imo, but mostly because other than the bizarre outfit, his design screams "background character" far more than "main protagonist." I also get that sexualization isn't everyone's cup of tea, but Pyra's design is actually very tame if anything. They also really needed more of a breakup in the colour department, together they have the usual combo of red and blue, but as standalone characters, it's more apparently garish. I could sit here all day really and analyze the character designs, but I suppose we're just falling into the same spiel. Besides the fact that the average complaint is more "omg bewbz" than any legitimate design criticism.
I agree for I am one as well, at least Pyra got a triadic thing going on with her yellow and blue accents to back up all that red.

The earth tones on Rex wash out the already kind of muted looking blue, on top of being brunette which makes him look like a vendor in a JRPG shop.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Getting an announcement of Smash in general got me thinking that Rex & Pyra would be a better choice, each day closer to E3/ANY Information at all, and I get more and more convinced thinking how Sakurai and his team would make them unique. I was unsure about Shulk, but got around to like the character, I think the "driver" thing sounds exciting!

Still... I feel like Xenoblade 2 is in the same relms as ARMS. It depends if they were asked pre-hand of deciding the roster, or else, I could see a Xenoblade X character, but honestly, I want the driver technique in Smash.
I would be immeasurably disappointed if we got a Xenoblade X character in Smash over a Xenoblade 2 character. Out of all the JRPGs I've played, Xenoblade X easily had the most forgettable cast. Nobody in that game stuck out to me even a little bit.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Depends on the character said color would be referencing.

For example, Ken for Ryu would better as a costume(especially if it was Alpha Ken, the long hair makes it easier to tell the two apart from a distance) , since the earlier SF titles they were more similar to one another, but a recolor like Daisy is for Peach wouldn't bother me at all. Though since they became more and more their own characters(gameplay wise), Evil Ryu would be a better alt since he's still a "different character".

But if Ryu had to reference Alex, then it should stick to being a color, since Alex is another SF protagonist, but doesn't use the Shoto style, a color would make more sense than a model swap.

But Protoman for Mega Man would be a bit different. Mega Man's already got suit that's Red and Gray(Magnet Missile and Drill Bomb), so adding the shades, changing the helmet, and adding the scarf would make it more obvious its a Protoman skin rather than a reference to a certain weapon or two.

Duo's colors aren't really used for any Weapons of Mega Man's so he'd work better as a color swap. His body type is also very different. Mega Man EXE would also be a good color choice, since most of Mega Man's colors don't have shirt and pants darker than the helmet/boots/gloves, and again different body types.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I would be immeasurably disappointed if we got a Xenoblade X character in Smash over a Xenoblade 2 character. Out of all the JRPGs I've played, Xenoblade X easily had the most forgettable cast. Nobody in that game stuck out to me even a little bit.
I feel you fam. I can't remember one character from the game. Don't know the protagonist, nor the antagonist, or helpers, nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom