• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
After rewatching the direct. I still think that they had all the dlc characters picked either late 2015 or at the very latest before the switch reveal. Otherwise why say that rex was announced to late to make the roster and give him a costume that is apart of the season pass. if he could still be dlc why not just show his mii costume during the rest of the costumes being shown off. It just seems off to me they did it that way if they just now picked all the dlc, i just dont buy it.

Another thing, I also think they have had to started on the characters already if they want to get them out in a timely manner. If we believe that characters do take close to a year to make like sakurai has said in the past, then either they have started on them or we wont be getting a new character until late next year. Also if you take a look at smash 4's dlc the fastest we got a character was mewtwo who took 5 months from launch of the wii u version till release but was announced to be in production in october so thats 6 months. The earliest newcomer for dlc was ryu who was 7 months in production if they started after release of the wii u version. Its once again a feeling of I dont buy they have not started on production of the characters as I dont see them wanted to wait 7 to 8 months after launch for the first character of the pass to be released

osby

Smash Obsessed
After rewatching the direct. I still think that they had all the dlc characters picked either late 2015 or at the very latest before the switch reveal. Otherwise why say that rex was announced to late to make the roster and give him a costume that is apart of the season pass. if he could still be dlc why not just show his mii costume during the rest of the costumes being shown off. It just seems off to me they did it that way if they just now picked all the dlc, i just dont buy it.

Another thing, I also think they have had to started on the characters already if they want to get them out in a timely manner. If we believe that characters do take close to a year to make like sakurai has said in the past, then either they have started on them or we wont be getting a new character until late next year. Also if you take a look at smash 4's dlc the fastest we got a character was mewtwo who took 5 months from launch of the wii u version till release but was announced to be in production in october so thats 6 months. The earliest newcomer for dlc was ryu who was 7 months in production if they started after release of the wii u version. Its once again a feeling of I dont buy they have not started on production of the characters as I dont see them wanted to wait 7 to 8 months after launch for the first character of the pass to be released
Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta shares their skeletons with other fighters. If they go down that road, it would shorten the development time.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta shares their skeletons with other fighters. If they go down that road, it would shorten the development time.
if they didnt pick them before hand then there was no reason to say what they did about rex and tie his costume to the season pass. Also even though it shortens dev time they still take awhile. I believe there was evidence that bayo was in production like 2 or 3 weeks into the smash ballot which was in april and it still took around 10 months for her to be released if that evidence was correct

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yeah you Yoshi guys have it real tough with your character, handful of stages, collection of amiibos, regular appearances and frequent games.

The GS Crew sends its sympathies.
Is that gonna be the response every time I lament that Yoshi is relatively lacking in comparison to the OG 8?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Why would I add the worst Impa though?
Impa - The medieval ninja
Limpa - The old hag in the Hidden Leaf Village
Blimpa - The one that lived in the sky
Shrimpa - The tiny one
Gimpa - The one that screws over your recovery in Smash
PIMPa - The master of BLINGjutsu
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 3.44.14 AM.png

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I too, want old woman as a playable character.

No seriously, old lady Impa or no Impa.
First Fat Impa was a meme, now Old Impa...

Seriously, if they made a Old Impa who's actually bad ass and knows how to fight using old Sheikah techniques, magic, material arts like a monk and what not- which I can easily picture as a somewhat elderly Ocarina of Time based Impa- I would be totally down for it.

But I believe next Zelda will be a BotW prequel of sorts and will feature a Young Impa. But I wouldn't be opposed to Old Badass Impa, if Old Badass Impa ever came to be.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Is that gonna be the response every time I lament that Yoshi is relatively lacking in comparison to the OG 8?
To be perfectly honest, Yoshi was the only game in the original 8 that spun-off from another one. I'm not looking down on the series but comparing to others is not the best comparison. Plus, there are no rules saying those 8 franchises should have special treatment.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
If it's Ninty's call I fail to see why a Nintendo-exclusive character who has been highly requested to the point he got a Mii costume is 100% out of the running like you say with Geno

Also you realize what you said with Banjo? "The trademark renewal is meant for the N64 Mini"...so they're working with Microsoft to bring back B&K which makes him...less likely?
This what I think:
Sakurai truely wanted Geno but couldn't get full rights in 4 so he made a Mii costume. Planned it for Ultimate, Square got stingy, so he dropped the idea as a whole. To not look bad (and since many won't understand), the calls were transfered to Nintendo... and Nintendo does pure business.
Geno's sole chance resides in if Square was specific that their IPs be DLC but then again, what negate that is that Sakurai said matters went to Nintendo's hands (not his), see. Yeah he got a costume, that was Sakurai's extent. And frankly, he's as exclusive as a receptionist signed cereal box. It may felt good one day but it's not worth much nowadays, which I think the way Nintendo looks at it (not Sakurai).

Yes, since again, we're talking pure business calls here (Nintendo). So let's go through some things in regard to each..

Banjo: Nintendo were the ones who kicked Rare staff out, the true Rare staff are now Playtonic NOT the Microsoft Rare, Nintendo was jelly of B&K games (Miyamoto), B&K had only 2 games on Nintendo. Really, Nintendo doesn't adore B&K at all, only fans think so.

Minecraft/Steve: Remember the Survive together ad.?, MC designed 3DS, a game with millions of players, a game still current, a game fresh in Japan.

So, which do you think business wise makes Nintendo drool the most? Smash being an advertisement game, it'll follow that suit, that ad, that "survive together" ad., it's definitely the most lucrative out of the two. Oh and Nintendo won't stop there, they'll use Banjo fans to sell their 64mini. An extra bonus from that MC deal. And that's the win-win situation.. business wise.

I'll tell you though, I truely hope I'm wrong, as I really really don't like Steve, and I think Geno fans waited long enough.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
To be perfectly honest, Yoshi was the only game in the original 8 that spun-off from another one. I'm not looking down on the series but comparing to others is not the best comparison. Plus, there are no rules saying those 8 franchises should have special treatment.
In this game they do. Plus DK is also considered a Mario spin-off game and yet...

Also, even if Yoshi didn't branch off into his own series in Smash, that fact that an AT still hasn't come out of Yoshi's Island is baffling. Even F-Zero got one

The only other repped franchises that don't have ATs are retros and Final Fantasy

Last edited:

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
On a random note, I'm kind of sad to see Yoshi's black color go just for another green one. I always wanted the white color Yoshi as well. I remember when unlocking those two colors in Yoshi Story was like the best thing ever to me, haha~

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
On a random note, I'm kind of sad to see Yoshi's black color go just for another green one. I always wanted the white color Yoshi as well. I remember when unlocking those two colors in Yoshi Story was like the best thing ever to me, haha~
Honestly the only thing that should replace Yoshi colors is other Yoshi colors

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Honestly the only thing that should replace Yoshi colors is other Yoshi colors
I mean...I wouldn't mind seeing Yoshi appear in his Mario Strikers outfit. That would be pretty great! As for more colors, I always like the orange Yoshi and his blue shoes. I think there might of been a very elusive brown Yoshi at some point~

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I mean...I wouldn't mind seeing Yoshi appear in his Mario Strikers outfit. That would be pretty great! As for more colors, I always like the orange Yoshi and his blue shoes. I think there might of been a very elusive brown Yoshi at some point~
Doesn't the Brown Yoshi appear in the original Yoshi's Island? He may appear in a couple other games too, that I can't remember...

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I wouldn't replace a color for a Strikers outfit though. Only if there was an extra set of 8 Strikers outfits...

Brown Yoshi was in the first Yoshi's Island and then never heard from again...

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Related Smash Question.

I went to Best Buy and Gamestop near me today, and I didn't see the Smash Demo on the kiosks (D:<). I saw an image a few days ago and articles indicating that best buy would start rolling them out. Do they mean like this weekend as in Sunday (as sales and promotions start on this day?)

The Best Buy Rep didn't know of any demo coming yet, but the gamestop manager said "It may or may not be not coming" (??)

I Just really wanna play the game, and at least the demo T_T (Like all of us haha)

Has anyone seen/played it yet by chance?

Smash Best Buy Demo Article
I know right? Sakurai said we'd get smash in North America...and nothing for Canada yet.

And i need the demo cause I can't afford the switch in the first place :(

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Doesn't the Brown Yoshi appear in the original Yoshi's Island? He may appear in a couple other games too, that I can't remember...
I wouldn't replace a color for a Strikers outfit though. Only if there was an extra set of 8 Strikers outfits...

Brown Yoshi was in the first Yoshi's Island and then never heard from again...
Ah, so the brown Yoshi was from Yoshi's Island. Thanks for the reminder! It's been ages since I've played that, but definitely a great game.

And wow, that would be a whole lot of Yoshi alternate colors/custumes! Come to think of it, I'm surprised there hasn't been some kind of super special legendary rainbow Yoshi invented yet!

TriStarGamer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4620-2306
Switch FC
5415-2743-8314
I know right? Sakurai said we'd get smash in North America...and nothing for Canada yet.

And i need the demo cause I can't afford the switch in the first place :(
Oh yeah, i really do wish we got like a global demo (even if it was the e3 demo or like a condensed version) It would be nice to just enjoy that without having to go to stores and possibly argue with others to play for a bit.

I understand why they didn't as well (leaks and datamining nightmares) and while they can encrypt the demo as much as they can, time and time again hackers and dataminers have shown resourcefulness to still leak all the info.

Thank goodness it is only a month away! (I hope you get a Switch for Christmas/the Holidays!)

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ah, so the brown Yoshi was from Yoshi's Island. Thanks for the reminder! It's been ages since I've played that, but definitely a great game.

And wow, that would be a whole lot of Yoshi alternate colors/custumes! Come to think of it, I'm surprised there hasn't been some kind of super special legendary rainbow Yoshi invented yet!
Maybe they're saving it for a blowout introduction for a future Mario and/or Yoshi title...

Maybe we'll have all 12 official colors in one game as well:yoshi:

TriStarGamer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4620-2306
Switch FC
5415-2743-8314
I know tonight was less wild than usual, but it was a pleasure to meet some new people and get to know others!

I'll be back tomorrow, until than...

Have a wonderful night/rest of the day!!:happysheep:

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
I know tonight was less wild than usual, but it was a pleasure to meet some new people and get to know others!

Thanks for joining us new friend. Have a good night and sweet dreams~

Maybe they're saving it for a blowout introduction for a future Mario and/or Yoshi title...

Maybe we'll have all 12 official colors in one game as well:yoshi:
I can definitely see Nintendo making some wild Yoshi color based game like that. It would probably be called "Yoshi's Color Burst" or something like that with gameplay being primarily focused on the different special abilities each color Yoshi has. With the legendary rainbow Yoshi having them all!

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I can definitely see Nintendo making some wild Yoshi color based game like that. It would probably be called "Yoshi's Color Burst" or something like that with gameplay being primarily focused on the different special abilities each color Yoshi has. With the legendary rainbow Yoshi having them all!
Ooo, I'd like to see that. There hasn't been color focused abilities for the Yoshis since Super Mario World and to a VERY SMALL EXTENT Yoshi's Story...

Also, refrain from double posting please :yoshi:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
First Fat Impa was a meme, now Old Impa...

Seriously, if they made a Old Impa who's actually bad *** and knows how to fight using old Sheikah techniques, magic, material arts like a monk and what not- which I can easily picture as a somewhat elderly Ocarina of Time based Impa- I would be totally down for it.

But I believe next Zelda will be a BotW prequel of sorts and will feature a Young Impa. But I wouldn't be opposed to Old Badass Impa, if Old Badass Impa ever came to be.
Meme? I suggest "Fat Impa" because I actually like the character design. Not only don't we have an older woman in Smash, but we don't have any heavyset woman either. She also has a lot of viability for a unique moveset without needing to reference Sheik at all.

She's always been my favorite design. The fact she also has some other neat things to show off is a nice coincidence, but she's just as capable as the other versions of Impa. She has tons of muscle, so she clearly can be designed to be a fighter. It's not the same thing as the more elderly version with a cane, who doesn't look nearly as capable of fighting.

Just because some people like a design you don't doesn't make them remotely a meme.

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
Ooo, I'd like to see that. There hasn't been color focused abilities for the Yoshis since Super Mario World and to a VERY SMALL EXTENT Yoshi's Story...

Also, refrain from double posting please :yoshi:
Weren't there different color Yoshi Abilities in Mario Galaxy two as well? Although I think they had to eat a specific fruit first and then Yoshi's color would change.

And apologies for the double post! I actually assumed someone else would of posted by then since this board seems to move so fast at times, haha. Hmm...I don't exactly know how to delete a post here. There should be a "fuse posts" option! But yeah, I'll remember that for future reference. Thanks for the heads-up friend~

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I have a question about Impa. If she gets in, what would they decide her first appearence is?

1986 where she was mentioned in the NES Zelda's manual?

1993 when she made her first in-game appearence in the CDi games?

Or 1998 when she made her first CANONICAL in-game appearence in Ocarina of Time?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I mean, technically, Super Mario is a spin-off of Donkey Kong, not the other way around.
Well that

and the DK universe has a lot of unique content that can make it separate from the Mario universe

Most DK characters and enemies rarely crossover with the Mario universe

D

Deleted member

So, if Lara actually got in, which Lara would it be, Classic Lara, Reboot Lara, or a fusion of the two?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This will 100% happen for quite a bit of characters. I never knew Ryu was build up from another fighter however. But for the rest, Sakurai even stated this himself. Cloud even retains some similarities to Ike, which is ironic cause Ike in Ultimate got a U Air that's similar to Cloud's :laugh: (good move btw!). Bayonetta was build up from Zero Suit Samus, and due to their builds it also really shows. Corrin was made from Marth, which is logical, cause just about 20% of the roster now is build from Marth (no h8 just jokes).

This is what makes me sort of more confident that Dixie and Impa are front runners for DLC. They are also from 1st party Nintendo franchises, which make them being picked for a DLC spot more likely because Nintendo themselves picked the DLC characters. So yeah.

With this being said however, the ONLY Smash 4 DLC characters that has been completely made up from scratch seemingly is Mewtwo. :ultmewtwo: Sakurai stated the Melee data was far too dated to be used for this, so they had to do it this way otherwise no Mewtwo. So yeah.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Positively wholesome. Get a good night's rest!
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 5.19.55 AM.png

Also, give Luigi his hat back you thief >:vvv

KMDP

Smash Legend
So, if Lara actually got in, which Lara would it be, Classic Lara, Reboot Lara, or a fusion of the two?
I'd say the smart option is to use Classic Lara's appearance (the more beloved one and the one that's most recognizable) with elements of Reboot Lara (mostly the Bow and Arrow over the guns, to keep to the game's rating).

And by using Classic Lara's appearance I mean "boobs and all"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom