• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yep. Is not cool to pay for advertising lol.

Hopefully, Nintendo knows that people are nostalgic and would buy anything for nostalgia, so I'm very sure that Banjo is part of the DLC.
As long as the character is fun, I could care less why they're added.

Plus, as others have already said, nostalgia is a very subjective and personal thing. Not everyone is nostalgic for the same time periods. Case in point: I have zero nostalgia for Banjo. Wasn't around for the games. Minecraft, though? I grew up with that one, which is why I completely and unironically want Steve more than Banjo.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know, im not nostalgic too, in fact, im gettin' tired of the nostalgic wave of this decade.

But NES and SNES mini sales were good, we're living in the nostalgia era. (Not a good thing IMHO) so that's why I think Banjo is part of the DLC.
Huh, that "hopefully" part confused me. Anyway, Banjo is a third party, so it's really up in the air whether he's a part of the DLC or not. I'll wait until make a prediction, it's hard to say something since there is no Microsoft content in Smash.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
I actually think that some people in this thread worry too much about Nintendo shamelessly using Smash DLC as a pure opportunity to do some major shilling for characters/franches nobody cares about.

They might not have the same motivations or preferences as Sakurai, but I can't remember an instance where they really f***ed people over with DLC from the top of my head. Seems like they have a pretty good track record with that.
Federation Force.

Never Forget.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Huh, that "hopefully" part confused me. Anyway, Banjo is a third party, so it's really up in the air whether he's a part of the DLC or not. I'll wait until make a prediction, it's hard to say something since there is no Microsoft content in Smash.
Well, my native language is not english lol, so sorry for my "Castlevania NES english" hahaha

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
> Sold only 50,000 copies on the Wii U in Japan in its first week, many times lower than the first game.
> Sold less than 10,000 copies in its first week in Japan Switch version.

Didn't sell poorly? She's not this popular character people make her out to be. She got popularized BY Smash in fact moreso than her own games. I can tell you first hand that many people played Bayonetta after she was released as DLC.
400,000 in the first few months of the Switch version soooooo~

osby

Smash Obsessed
I actually think that some people in this thread worry too much about Nintendo shamelessly using Smash DLC as a pure opportunity to do some major shilling for characters/franches nobody cares about.

They might not have the same motivations or preferences as Sakurai, but I can't remember an instance where they really f***ed people over with DLC from the top of my head. Seems like they have a pretty good track record with that.
You see, Corrin was a thing, so obviously we are going to get 5 characters from games that hasn't been released outside of Japan yet.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
My post from last night sorta got buried in the G&W arguments, so I’ll bring this up again.

Someone on the Smash Bros reddit pointed out that 5 of Dark Samus’ alts are based on the hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters. However, there’s no alt color based on Sylux.

This might not mean anything, as we don’t even know if Sylux will be in MP4, but it’s certainly something interesting.
we actually basically do know that sylux is going to be in MP4, through various sources. we have the in game proof of him showing up at the end of federation force as a teaser for the game. but nobody would know that because no one played federation force

Untouch

Smash Master
So, any news on the Direct today?
Nintendo already posted something on twitter, unlikely we're getting a direct this week...
Which is odd because they STILL haven't announced the YouTube app that's coming tomorrow...
Unless it's just a mini-direct or something...

D

Deleted member

I know, im not nostalgic too, in fact, im gettin' tired of the nostalgic wave of this decade.

But NES and SNES mini sales were good, we're living in the nostalgia era. (Not a good thing IMHO) so that's why I think Banjo is part of the DLC.
To be honest, the NES and SNES Mini are a great way to introduce kids to classic titles.

Their parents just need to decide on their own the games for their kids, and get out of the CoD and Fifa loop.

Nintendo already posted something on twitter, unlikely we're getting a direct this week...
Which is odd because they STILL haven't announced the YouTube app that's coming tomorrow...
Wasn’t that on Friday?

Note: i seriously need to control my posts.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I feel if the theory about the N64 Mini with Banjo-Kazooie on it is true, it's possible for Banjo & Kazooie to make the DLC roster. They're gonna be in talks with Microsoft anyway, so they may try to bring him in as a promotional announcement for the N64 Mini.

I do feel that given the circumstances Steve is a lot more likely though. I'd like both, so it's a win no matter who I get haha

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Reading through initial reactions of the thread about Nintendo rolling the dice on DLC this time now, but I wanted to say some stuff before I keep on. I understand it might inevitably have been mentioned given that 50 pages have gone by, but I'ma shoot it anyway.

1. This makes the Vergeben info make more sense. It inclines the speculation towards DQ's favor as a Square rep.

2. This could mean DLC wasn't chosen when the roster was planned out.

3. We could get a Season 2 since Nintendo is pushing for it and not Sakurai.

4. Those two unknown DLC slots are gonna show us where Nintendo bias lies. I'll revise my likelihood list once again.

Untouch

Smash Master
Wasn’t that on Friday?

Note: i seriously need to control my posts.
No, it was leaked to be coming out tomorrow, and it's basically all but confirmed at this point.
Of course Nintendo could just announce it without any fanfare but it's still a bit odd.

D

Deleted member

Federation Force.

Never Forget.
That game wasn't even all that bad. People only dumped on it because it didn't 100% cater to what they wanted, and if anything shows how resistant people are to change and trying new things.

Federation Force was the height of the Nintendo community's immaturity. That petition to get the game canceled was one of the cringiest things I've ever seen from Nintendo fans, TBH.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
To be honest, the NES and SNES Mini are a great way to introduce kids to classic titles.

Their parents just need to decide on their own the games for their kids, and get out of the CoD and Fifa loop.
Curious question, but i wonder how this site reacted the moment Corrin showed up..........
Wasnt here at the moment.

But I was like: "Really...? Other FE character...?".

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Federation Force.

Never Forget.
Federation Force is really only hated because it has the Metroid Prime name...
If they removed that, and just called it Federation Force, it would have been more well recieved
They like to randomly post Nintendo Direct Minis out of the blue without prior knowledge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don’t lose hope. Random Chinese bootlegger didn’t get permission to create Grand Dad, so Nintendo doesn’t need permission to use him.
The funny thing is that the Smash specculation comunity is cursed with the number 7.

Granddad in Smash would make that statement official.

D

Deleted member

No, it was leaked to be coming out tomorrow, and it's basically all but confirmed at this point.
Of course Nintendo could just announce it without any fanfare but it's still a bit odd.
I think that it would come at best on Friday.

Maybe i am wrong, but i find that date better.

D

Deleted member

I strongly believe that kids today can get to appreciate classic videogames with the right selection from their parents.

A great example is one of the Spyro fans that supported me and other Crash fans on Twitter around 2016.

He is a father, and he gives his son/daughter games that he played when he had the same age.
Of course, Spyro is one of them.
If more parents did more stuff similar to this with the kids, CoD wouldn’t be as huge, and we would see less from EA.

Btw, i still have contact with him, and he is still a great person.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Jibanyan and a Dragon Quest Rep would rake in the money in Japan now that i think about it. Though there is likely going to be a charcter that appeals to the Amercian Audience

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As long as the character is fun, I could care less why they're added.

Plus, as others have already said, nostalgia is a very subjective and personal thing. Not everyone is nostalgic for the same time periods. Case in point: I have zero nostalgia for Banjo. Wasn't around for the games. Minecraft, though? I grew up with that one, which is why I completely and unironically want Steve more than Banjo.
It's all subjective. Think about it - if during the Wii U era all the DLC was based on promotions we would have gotten a lineup something like...

Elma, Captain Toad, Bayonetta, Yarn Yoshi, Corrin, Wonder Red

Are you going to tell me that's a bad lineup?

D

Deleted member

I’m not just fine with Minecraft content in Smash, but i infact love the idea of getting a Minecraft stage in.

I love stages that can morph.

Untouch

Smash Master
Jibanyan and a Dragon Quest Rep would rake in the money in Japan now that i think about it. Though there is likely going to be a charcter that appeals to the Amercian Audience
980x[3].png

I mean.. Bethesda has been supporting the Switch a lot...
And DOOM Eternal is coming out relatively soon...

Last edited:

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft is Swedish.
But still one of the most popular video games ever especially in Amercia. From Nintendo's Perspective they could use Jibanyan and Erdick as a way of bring in Japanese Audiences into Smash while they could use Steve to bring in Amercian Audiences as well as European into Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom