• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
You know what else I like about Mania stuff so far, everyone forgot how to talk...

Was that mean?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
It's almost April Fools, where is my tsunami of fake leaks?!
It is already April 1st here in Australia so I can safely tell you from this weird and strange future that, according to the leaks, Ridley will replace Mario as the figure head of the series, Ganondorf is going to become a Little Mac clone and Sonic OCs are going to replace the Mii Fighters. Certainly going to be a weird game :p

Morbi

Scavenger
It is already April 1st here in Australia so I can safely tell you from this weird and strange future that, according to the leaks, Ridley will replace Mario as the figure head of the series, Ganondorf is going to become a Little Mac clone and Sonic OCs are going to replace the Mii Fighters. Certainly going to be a weird game :p
The worst part is, I would deeply prefer Sonic OC replaced Mii Fighters. Not as a joke, not ironically, not because I love Sonic OCs. It is just that I am so utterly abhorred by Mii Fighters that somehow Sonic OCs seem like a viable replacement. You know what, the more I think about it, I would be fine with the whole Ridley replacing Mario and Ganondorf reworked into a Little Mac clone too. Huh...

Danpal65

Smash Lord
The worst part is, I would deeply prefer Sonic OC replaced Mii Fighters. Not as a joke, not ironically, not because I love Sonic OCs. It is just that I am so utterly abhorred by Mii Fighters that somehow Sonic OCs seem like a viable replacement. You know what, the more I think about it, I would be fine with the whole Ridley replacing Mario and Ganondorf reworked into a Little Mac clone too. Huh...
Honestly, they both rub me the wrong way. Sonic OCs just seem really creepy to me, although I do understand that they started as a love for the Sonic series. There is just some really weird sub-culture that developed out of it, especially in places like DevianArt.

Edit: I should clarify that I do not think that there is anything wrong with making Sonic OCs, even sharing them, it is more so the Internet culture around them and the fact that they really do not belong in a game like Smash

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Here's achallenge.

Take each third party series represented in Smash and think of a new stage for each of them.
:snake: - Mother Base
:4bayonetta: - Bayonetta 2's prologue stage (the jet stage)
:4cloud: - Balamb Garden
:4megaman: - Central Highway, Sky Lagoon or Caravan from MMZ4.
:4pacman: - Crisis Cavern? Idk
:4ryu: - Yun/Yang Stage from 3S or Kanzuki Estate (Rooftops?)/Beach or Skies of Honour
:4sonic: - Chemical Plant or Studiopolis Zone

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shadow was more than just an dark and edgy character in his debut appearance in Sonic Adventure 2 since he was also a pretty tragic character.
Most protagonists with some degree of depth are marked by tragedy in their backstory, that doesn't inherently impart them with the standard characteristics of the "dark counterpart".

Look at like any superhero.

Like 90% of characters in Sonic are just "edgy" versions of characters, so much so that they'd make a dodecahedron feel inadequate.
ayyyyy geometry jokes

Polan

Smash Lord
So thoughts on Smash Bros. pulling a "surprise motherf*****" at Pax East? Normally I would say to expect nothing, but the game is releasing this year and it's not like Sakurai has a lot of time to reveal stuff. Doesn't have to be a character reveal, just a confirmation that the game is coming or a hint at future news.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
So thoughts on Smash Bros. pulling a "surprise motherf*****" at Pax East? Normally I would say to expect nothing, but the game is releasing this year and it's not like Sakurai has a lot of time to reveal stuff. Doesn't have to be a character reveal, just a confirmation that the game is coming or a hint at future news.
I could see something potentially happening. Like you said it could be a hint of something in the future, maybe a teaser for a Direct or something. I doubt we will get another character reveal until we know a bit more about the game though.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I hope there is something. For some reason, though, I doubt it will be anything that big. Maybe a teaser for a Direct like DanpaI65 said, but whatever else it might be, I am not expecting too much.

Morbi

Scavenger
They could start by confirming whether or not the game is even a port. It is clearly a new title, but you know, if the majority (?) of the fan-base is confused, clarification never hurts.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Here's achallenge.

Take each third party series represented in Smash and think of a new stage for each of them.
:snake: - Mother Base.
:4bayonetta: - That prologue stage in Bayo 2.
:4cloud: - Gold Saucer
:4megaman: - Wily Tower
:4pacman:- idk
:4ryu: - Volcanic Rim
:4sonic: - Angel Island Zone

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Sonic should totally have a still pixelated Angel Island Zone which transitions between lush and green and orange and on fire.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Speaking of which, this needs to be an alt of Link
View attachment 140145
It'd actually be pretty cool if all his alternates were costumes from Breath of the Wild

I can see the Default/Champion, Hylian, Snoquill, Zora, Climber, Barbarian, Classic, and the unequipped being his selection of outfits. Don't think it's too likely to happen, though.

If anything, I see four BotW re-colored outfits, and four Classic recolored outfits.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here’s a question for you lot. Suppose the Switch Pokemon title GF is working on is hypothetically a Gen 1 remake, not Gen 8. Do you think we’d end up with a Gen 7 character still? A Gen 1? Usually remakes don’t mean a ton, but GF does typically push something.

Gen 7 would still be the most recent Gen, but GF wouldn’t really be pushing that Gen over the remake. Without that mandate, Sakurai presumably would be less restricted in the pool he chose from.

I suppose with US/UM being recent, and the current abundance of Gen 1 Pokemon, GF may still opt for representation there, but idk.

What do you think? And this is all under the premise that Sakurai has been privy to this info for the time necessary to have the roster reflect it.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Here’s a question for you lot. Suppose the Switch Pokemon title GF is working on is hypothetically a Gen 1 remake, not Gen 8. Do you think we’d end up with a Gen 7 character still? A Gen 1? Usually remakes don’t mean a ton, but GF does typically push something.

Gen 7 would still be the most recent Gen, but GF wouldn’t really be pushing that Gen over the remake. Without that mandate, Sakurai presumably would be less restricted in the pool he chose from.

I suppose with US/UM being recent, and the current abundance of Gen 1 Pokemon, GF may still opt for representation there, but idk.

What do you think? And this is all under the premise that Sakurai has been privy to this info for the time necessary to have the roster reflect it.
We'd have a Brawl scenario where we get one Pokemon from the remake's generation and one from the current generation.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
We'd probably get a Gen VII still if they had intended do, since we rarely (if ever, I can't think of any examples but I may be wrong) get remake stuff before newest.

Morbi

Scavenger

In that scenario, to be completely honest, I would not even give half a **** about Smash. I would just be hyped for a Gen 1 remake on the Switch. That being said, it would refute the "too soon" arguments given that the plan would be easy enough to convey and he could just add Blastoise (or maybe Meowth), realistically. While remakes might not mean much, as the first Pokemon Switch game, it WILL mean a lot. Even if it is just some weird spin-off, everyone is going to remember it.

Generation One is way more popular and with Pokemon GO not being that long ago, I would be surprised and utterly shocked if they pushed a Gen 7 character over an OG.

At the very least, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo would definitely return.

D

Deleted member

We'd probably get a Gen VII still if they had intended do, since we rarely (if ever, I can't think of any examples but I may be wrong) get remake stuff before newest.
Smash for 3DS had a Gerudo Valley stage based on OoT3D, but that's about it off the top of my head aside from trophies.

Polan

Smash Lord
Decidueye > every other gen 1 pokemon

Also I would be seriously disappointed if we get yet another Gen 1 remake. GF (and the fanbase) **** over Gen 1 way too much and it's honestly tiring at this point. Give me more Gen 3/5 love.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I want you guys to respond to this certain scenario:

1. Rayman gets in Smash Switch's base roster, gets a playstyle of utilizing his limbless body for long range melee fighting.
2. ARMS character is too late in the development cycle to make a unique newcomer out of.
3. So, to compromise, they make Spring Man as a last-minute semi-clone of Rayman.
Problem. It's physically impossible for Spring Man to be a clone of Rayman or vice versa.

Spring Man has spring arms, Rayman has... no arms.

A likely gimmick for Rayman's moveset would be to have his jab and nair throw out his fist the same way it works in his original game. Part of the combat in the game is to position yourself so the fist hits the enemy on the way back.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Decidueye > every other gen 1 pokemon

Also I would be seriously disappointed if we get yet another Gen 1 remake. GF (and the fanbase) **** over Gen 1 way too much and it's honestly tiring at this point. Give me more Gen 3/5 love.
This. Let's not forget Sun and Moon were the anniversary games, with a lot of gen 1 fanservice. Gen 4 remakes seems far more likely right now.

As far as newcomers go, it's hard to say what gen gets represented this Smash. If Pokemon Switch is 2019 than I would expect a gen 7 newcomer with a gen 8 newcomer as DLC down the road.

But if Pokemon Switch releases within a few months of Smash, it's harder to say. But gen 7 seems more likely based on when the games were in development.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Gen 1 remake plus certain Pokemon from later games (the ones that evolve into or from Gen 1 Pokemon such as Pichu and Sylveon) would be nice. Hell, it could even be a sequel to Gen 1. Same region, same starters, but 20 years later starring Red’s kids.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I was never too big on Rayman being in the game but I kind of want him in now since it ensures Rabbids won't be a character

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In that scenario, to be completely honest, I would not even give half a **** about Smash. I would just be hyped for a Gen 1 remake on the Switch. That being said, it would refute the "too soon" arguments given that the plan would be easy enough to convey and he could just add Blastoise AND Meowth, realistically. While remakes might not mean much, as the first Pokemon Switch game, it WILL mean a lot. Even if it is just some weird spin-off, everyone is going to remember it.

Generation One is way more popular and with Pokemon GO not being that long ago, I would be surprised and utterly shocked if they pushed a Gen 7 character over an OG.

At the very least, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo would definitely return.
Fixed. :smirk:

That’s what we we need. :009: :052:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think we need a bigger ratio between gen 1 pokemon and non gen 1 pokemon

In the past, total pokemon we have had were:
6 gen 1 pokemon :pikachu64::jigglypuff64::mewtwomelee::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:
1 gen 2 pokemon:pichumelee:
1 gen 4 pokemon:lucario:
1 gen 6 pokemon:4greninja:

If they cut Lucario or Greninja I'd really hate the overpopulation of gen 1 pokemon in smash. It's just not a good feeling.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

6 gen 1 pokemon :pikachu64::jigglypuff64::mewtwomelee::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:

If they cut Lucario or Greninja I'd really hate the overpopulation of gen 1 pokemon in smash. It's just not a good feeling.
I think you guys view this term Gens wrong.

Pikachu and Mewtwo should definitely not be considered ONLY Gen 1. Considering them "Gen 1" is like me saying that Zelda has too much Zelda 1 representation and nothing from other games, it doesn't make that much sense.

I would say Pikachu and Mewtwo and even Charizard, albeit to a much smaller extent, should probably be considered trans-generational or inter-generational or whatever the term would be.

Since Squirtle and Ivysaur were both cut, there really isn't that much "Gen 1" representation, it's Puff and Zard. But to be honest even that comparison is wrong. Pokemon are just Pokemon, they don't get added due to "Gen" they get added due to popularity.

LOOK AT THE CHOICES. I would say aside from Pichu and Ivysaur, every single one of the 7 other playable Pokemons would make it in a top 20 most iconic Pokemon of all time (although I will give you that Puff has definitely fallen out of grace since back when she was extremely popular).

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

Well Squirtle and Ivysaur (sadly, Ivysaur was so unique) are gone now. There are no pokemon more iconic than Pikachu, Zard, and Mewtwo so they should all return. Jigglypuff will never leave again at this point cause O12.

Lucario should stay too. Idk about Greninja bit if he returns I wouldn't care much.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I'm still on the boat that we should bring back Pokemon Trainer and give him Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur with no stamina mechanic. It'd be awesome.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Problem. It's physically impossible for Spring Man to be a clone of Rayman or vice versa.

Spring Man has spring arms, Rayman has... no arms.

A likely gimmick for Rayman's moveset would be to have his jab and nair throw out his fist the same way it works in his original game. Part of the combat in the game is to position yourself so the fist hits the enemy on the way back.

Also Rayman has DBZ blasts and other cool stuff. Springman can't do that.

I'm still on the boat that we should bring back Pokemon Trainer and give him Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur with no stamina mechanic. It'd be awesome.
The reason why I'm not really a fan of transformation characters is that essentially you have two or more incomplete guys.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace

Not all generations are created equal. Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo are extremely popular, just like Lucario and Greninja. Even the Puff was pretty popular (or at least well-known) back in the day.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I just hate how there's a lot of cool pokemon from other generations that never got shown off in smash, despite more gen 1 pokemon being added in brawl.

Charizard is overrated AF, by the way. Mewtwo and Pikachu are the only good gen 1 pokemon for smash in my eyes. If any of the other ones weren't in smash I doubt people would be supporting Puff or Charizard as much as they do now. (not that they don't have their own merit though. The fact that they are in smash now kinda makes them more important than they truely are.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was never too big on Rayman being in the game but I kind of want him in now since it ensures Rabbids won't be a character
Ubisoft effectively treats them as their own series. It really doesn't ensure anything at all. It's obvious they would push Rabbids as playable, and Rayman still has a fair chance of being playable. Seeing them both is honestly pretty believable at this point. Though if they don't become playable, they'd make excellent Mii Costumes, as they got weapons/options from the various games that fit well.

Only thing I can see keeping them out is either the companies not cooperating(Rayman and the Rabbids being an overall package deal would make sense, and Nintendo/Sakurai not wanting to have both playable could happen) or moveset potential for the Rabbids not being good enough(which still makes the Mii Costumes a good workaround, if Ubisoft would be willing to do that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom