• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
And yet, Box Theory was true. I remember a lot of comments up here that had people talking down to Box Theorists and even calling them idiots.
Yup, I was one of those people and I stand by that to this very day. The box was useless without knowing if any characters would be on the back. All it indicated was that there was AT LEAST two newcomers, not ONLY two newcomers.

Just because it was true doesn't mean it was the logical thing to believe. Donald Trump won the election, but that doesn't mean believing he'd win beforehand was the logical thing to believe.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Yup, I was one of those people and I stand by that to this very day. The box was useless without knowing if any characters would be on the back. All it indicated was that there was AT LEAST two newcomers, not ONLY two newcomers.

Just because it was true doesn't mean it was the logical thing to believe. Donald Trump won the election, but that doesn't mean believing he'd win beforehand was the logical thing to believe.
I don't think you fully understood Box Theory lmao as there was more to it that just a "box was useless".

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You know what I find weird? Shantae's spirit was highlighted in the world of Light trailer but not Geno who we only know about because of eagle eyed fans spotting him among countless other random spirits. Nothing against Shantae. I love her games. But she got nothing in smash 4 while Geno got the only Mii costume with a trailer and a statement from Sakurai saying he's incredibly popular and that he's wanted to add him since Brawl. I feel like that's really odd unless something more is planned.
Don't read too much into absences. It didn't ended well for Skull Kid or Shadow.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Kinda, but instead of selecting individual moves, you select one out of three sets of specials for each Mii
Hasn't this already been dis-confirmed?

We saw the specials in the Direct, and they didn't look like sets, they just looked the same.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
  1. Seriously? Piranha Plant as a playable fighter? I prefer Bandana Dee than this. Renember that Poison (an enemy from Streets of Rage) was included as a playable fighter in a Capcom game (i don't know what game) ? This all over again.
  2. About the DLC fighters, let's hope that Banjo Kazooie and Shantae being DLC fighters rather than Assist Trophies. Isaac and Shovel Knight as an Asssist Trophies ruined everything.
I really don't understand why people are asking for a DeDeDe throw item. You already got 3 Kirby reps already! Honestly I'm loving Piranha Plant, and would definitely take it over BD
Shantae is a spirit so perhaps not. I like Banjo but I don't want him as a fighter, though I'll take him over Steve anytime.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
You're all sleeping on the true Namco rep.
View attachment 176208

Certainly, you raise an excellent point.

{The things I do with my free time)

Why are we all acting as if all the dlc reps will be third party? I mean it's likely that a couole of them will be but I doubt ALL of them will be third party
To say we believe "All" will be 3rd party would be hyperbolic, but as to why the perception is that "Most" will be... well, that's primarily due to a shaky precedent, I'm afraid. We currently only have the previous game's DLC to attempt to divine information from.

Smash 3DS/Wii U had 7 DLC characters.

3 Returning Veterans (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy)
1 First Party Unique created after the Base Roster was Finalized (Corrin)
3 Third Party Uniques (Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta)

We can remove the 3 Returning Vets from consideration, as "Everyone is Here!" gave us every veteran already. So then we only have 1 First Party, and 3 Third Parties. This is a hilariously small sample size, but when it's all you have, people will be wont to make conclusions based on them.
  • An overwhelming Majority of non-Veteran DLC has been Third Party (Though a single other First Party would completely remove the "overwhelming" aspect)
  • All non-Veteran First Party DLC has been for characters created after the base roster was finalized (Though there's only 1 example)
These statements may have a staggering margin of error due to only representing 4 values, but they are technically accurate. The 2nd one is discredited if one assumes Piranha Plants to be in the same category of DLC, but then one could say, "Of the 6 DLC slots, 1 has already been First Party, so it will likely be primarily Third Party from here" and we return to where we started.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If you had to choose a few “oddball” characters (like PP, just completely unexpected) from other series to be playable, who would you choose?

Here’s my list:
:ultlink:: Old Man
:ultkirby:: Whispy Woods
:ultsamus:: Metroid
:ultpikachu:: Alolan-Marowak
:ultness:: New Age Retro Hippie
:ultgnw:(Retro): Dana (Solomon’s Key)
:ultsonic:: Mighty
:ultpit:: Eggplant Wizard
:ultinkling:: Spyke
:ultkirby:: Chef Kawasaki
:ulticeclimbers:: Polar Bear
:ultgnw:: Wolf from Egg

Tomorrow will be a month until release, oh my goodness WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE.
WHY CAN'T IT KEEP BEING GONE
I NEED IT IN MY HANDS BY THREE YEARS AGO
And today is exactly one month before anything supposedly happens on VGA.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Headcanon that Captain Falcon and Yoshi are good friends since 64 since they’ve both been completely alone in their franchise representation. They keep from being lonely by hanging out.

(Sometimes Falcon rides Yoshi and sometimes Yoshi gets to drive the Blue Falcon)

D

Deleted member

Hasn't this already been dis-confirmed?

We saw the specials in the Direct, and they didn't look like sets, they just looked the same.
Oh, were they? I was kinda distracted while watching certain segments, lol. Thanks for clearing that up!

D

Deleted member

Headcanon that Captain Falcon and Yoshi are good friends since 64 since they’ve both been completely alone in their franchise representation. They keep from being lonely by hanging out.

(Sometimes Falcon rides Yoshi and sometimes Yoshi gets to drive the Blue Falcon)
Yoshi has all the other Mario characters though?

D

Deleted member

If you had to choose a few “oddball” characters (like PP, just completely unexpected) from other series to be playable, who would you choose?

Here’s my list:
:ultlink:: Old Man
:ultkirby:: Whispy Woods
:ultsamus:: Metroid
:ultpikachu:: Alolan-Marowak
:ultness:: New Age Retro Hippie
:ultgnw:(Retro): Dana (Solomon’s Key)
:ultsonic:: Mighty
:ultpit:: Eggplant Wizard
:ultinkling:: Spyke
:ultlink:: Classic Link
:ultkirby:: Escargoon
:ultsamus:: Federation Force
:ultpikachu:: Sylveon
:ultness:: Giygas
:ultgnw: (retro): Nester
:ultsonic:: Shade (Sonic Chronicles)
:ultmegaman:: Roll
:ultpacman:: Patra

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Glad to have you on board my green friend! It would do Square Enix well to have the mascot of there Final Fantasy series in the game. Most people know what a chocobo is, so the relevance is there~

On another note, After about 10 years they finally revived the chocobo's dungeon series with a new game! Bringing the cute yellow bird into Smash would be a good way to promote his return and get people to see how amazingly adorable & skilled he is. With more people aware of our chibi feathery friend, maybe more people will buy his soon to be released game. Actually, I think it releases around the same time Smash's first DLC might arrive. Hard to say! It's just a random TBA winter release date.

But yeah, it would be a real shame to have his games die off again after just being brought back from limbo óvò
Do you have any moveset you can show of the character? I am curious.

And yet, Box Theory was true. I remember a lot of comments up here that had people talking down to Box Theorists and even calling them idiots.
It was really sad. I believe the worst insult was being compared to flat earth people. Truly, not one of the best moments for the community.

I don't think you fully understood Box Theory lmao.
Most people never understood it. I remember there were daily posts of people deconfirming box theory with stuff that didnt deconfirmed it.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I really don't understand why people are asking for a DeDeDe throw item. You already got 3 Kirby reps already! Honestly I'm loving Piranha Plant, and would definitely take it over BD
Shantae is a spirit so perhaps not. I like Banjo but I don't want him as a fighter, though I'll take him over Steve anytime.
>Bandana Dee
>Throwing item
Oh my God, this is as ignorant as when I said K. Rool was only in one game.

osby

Smash Obsessed

And Falcon has Fox

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Heh, no wonder you get to use it in Mario Kart.
A better comparison would be :ultsonic: or :ultcloud:.

Then again, :ultcloud: actually has literally nothing, not even ATs.

>Bandana Dee
>Throwing item
Oh my God, this is as ignorant as when I said K. Rool was only in one game.
To think "Goomba with a hat" seemed insulting enough...

Roberk

Smash Champion
Does anyone have some theorycrafting for potential Spirits? Here's a pretty obvious one.

Kellam, a Knight from Fire Emblem Awakening: Equipping this Support Spirit will make the fighter permanently invisible.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone have some theorycrafting for potential Spirits? Here's a pretty obvious one.

Kellam, a Knight from Fire Emblem Awakening: Equipping this Support Spirit will make the fighter permanently invisible.
I think the image broke. I don't see anything...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
My speculation for the five DLC newcomers is still this:

1. Square-Enix newcomer: This slot has been leaked by Vergeben, but the identity has not. Geno, Sora, and a Dragon Quest character all have strong points each in their favor. Geno is personally favored by Sakurai. Sora is the protagonist of one of the biggest franchises not yet repped in Smash Bros. Dragon Quest is the last big Japanese gaming franchise dating back to the 1980's without any sort of content in Smash Bros.

2. Namco-Bandai newcomer: With Sega, Capcom, Konami, and soon Square-Enix (even if it ends up being Geno) all having two or three playable characters in Smash Bros., it seems very strange that the developer of Ultimate would not get a second slot too. The most likely characters for this are Heihachi (who is oddly missing as an Assist Trophy, when Akira from Virtua Fighter got promoted) or Lloyd Irving, the most popular and well known Tales character. It is also possible a character from Soul Calibur or Klonoa could be chosen.

3. Banjo-Kazooie. They were among the strongest ballot performers on the Western side of things. Microsoft has expressed interest too in seeing the character in Smash Bros., and they even allowed for Microsoft owned characters (from Banjo-Kazooie and Halo) to appear in the Nintendo console ports to Minecraft. Cross-play between the Switch and Xbox ports of Minecraft was also promoted at E3. I think Vergeben's Minecraft content is probably a stand alone stage and some music, and Banjo-Kazooie will also come in as a newcomer with their own stage.

4. Bandanna Dee. He had a bunch of critical roles in the interim between Smash 4 and Ultimate. He was Kirby's sole side kick in Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale. At this point he could very well be the most wanted newcomer on the Japanese side of things. Moreover, he is among the few major Nintendo characters who does not have any sort of notable NPC role in Ultimate, not even as a spirit.

5. Elma. The near complete absence of Xenoblade X content in Ultimate is extremely suspicious. Even Metroid Prime 3, which was released only a few months after Brawl in Japan, received notable content in Smash 4 in the form of Assist Trophy Dark Samus (while the rest of Metroid's new content was stuff pulled from Other M). Xenoblade X having less content than Xenoblade 2 is extremely odd. I would not be surprised if Elma's release is being timed with the announcement of an X port or sequel to the Switch.

D

Deleted member

I found this meme

Roberk

Smash Champion
You already got 3 Kirby reps already!
And we could use many more, they fit so perfectly and we haven't gotten one since Brawl. Imo Bandana Dee has earned it and popular picks like Marx and Adeleine would work well in Smash and have very unique movesets.

D

Deleted member

Yeah but he's not that different.. Say a Goomba stack. Still a Goomba.
No, no, you're not understanding.

He is part of a species that are used as mooks, but he himself is not one. He has had dozens of playable and supporting roles and is as important to the series as Meta Knight and Dedede for supporting cast. He is used in almost all of Kirby's marketing material. He has a personality and everything.

Calling him a hat Goomba is like calling Luigi Green Mario and actually meaning it.

EDIT: ARRRGH, My tablet's autocorrect is being dumb. I meant to type Dedede, not "delete", lol.
EDIT 2: Why did it write mercy, lol okay my tablet seems to have a mind of its own now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
hold up, am I reading this correctly?

You mean to tell me that THAT GUY was the one responsible for the absolute comedic masterpiece that was the Chaddondorf post?
I mean, there isn't any CONCRETE proof, but there's evidence pointing towards it. For one, back in September, MTP made a LaxChris parody video covering Chaddondorf. He said that he made the leak, then corrected himself as a gag. Then, later, THE DAY BEFORE GRINCH SHOWED UP, he made another video on Chaddondorf. In it, he said that **** was about go down real soon.

In my eyes, due to that and their speech matters matching up, it's safe to say MTP did Chaddondorf.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And we could use many more, they fit so perfectly and we haven't gotten one since Brawl. Imo Bandana Dee has earned it and popular picks like Marx and Adeleine would work well in Smash and have very unique movesets.
Yeah, only question is when Sakurai will be more lenient towards his Kirby modesty. I suspect it'll take :ultridley::ultkrool:levels of vocal support to convince him.

Granted, Marx could get in first, but still

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Smash's not missing a puzzle piece.
Really, I don't know. Is it a 1st party war between fans? each looking to insert MORE of his/her favorite franch? Reallu, is that it? cause I don't see how necessary he is!
Marx could work as a boss. Adeleine would go better, at least she offers something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom